Lexicor@world.std.com (y.siu@lexicor.com) Alternative Urusei Yatsura Fanfic by *Lewis Burden* (file: jad1_uy.txt) ================================= This Fanfic is not yet finished and currently consists of 12 parts. Every part will be uploaded and made available on a weekly basis on the Internet. Files are available via email request or ftp at world.std.com in: ftp: world.std.com /pub/UY email request: uy-fan@lexicor.com *************************** ********************************* Fanfic was first uploaded to GENIE and is now available on the Internet. note: This is very alternative UY and highly recommendable UY fanfic ===== Enjoy, Yat Siu - ysiu@lexicor.com Lewis Burden July 1, 1992 For over two hundred episodes, six movies, and many OVA's we watched the adventures of the Earth boy Ataru Moroboshi and the alien girl Lum who moved in with him. Their adventures together broke the rules of reality with a vengeance, and forced the viewer to accept the outlandish as commonplace. What if . . . What if all that was just a series of dreams shared by these two people of very different worlds? "JUST A DREAM?" Written by Lewis Burden Edited by Joseph Rispoli, Jr. (Based on characters and situations created by Rumiko Takahashi in her series URUSEI YATSURA.) Lum woke quickly from her dream. This was usually a problem. Whenever she made a sudden move in the zero- gravity cubicle where she usually slept she would start spinning. It was a very disorienting experience for one who had just woke up. She reached out for a wall to stop herself. Often it was a toss up between the rough awakening and the comfort of free-floating. But she enjoyed the sense of flight too much to sleep on a conventional bed. Stopped, but still a little disoriented, she tried to gather her thoughts. She had one of the those dreams again. It was almost every night now, and it was really starting to worry her. She would always find herself on some alien planet, with beings her own age. The planet was quite primitive by Uruseian standards. The beings there spoke a strange language that for some reason, she understood. "Computer, normal gravity," she commanded. The computer beeped an acknowledgement and slowly turned on the gravity. Lum gently floated to the ground. A beep came from the entrance. "Who is it?" "It is Ran, princess." "Come," Lum said and pushed a button, unlocking the door. The door opened, revealing Lum's serving girl, Ran, holding some folded clothes. "How is my mistress, today?" she asked politely. Ran was always polite to a fault. In Lum's experience she had never seen Ran angry, or even annoyed. Lum wondered, though, if underneath there might not be a seething cauldron of emotion just waiting to get out. Lum stood patiently while Ran dressed her with the clothes she had brought. "Did you have another dream last night?" "Yes," Lum answered reluctantly. Her dreams had become the talk of the fleet, and she was certain that Ran was the main source of fresh news on this subject. Lum really didn't like everyone talking about her, and she knew that there was more than just concern over her recurring dreams. It wasn't the same dream over and over again, but ua continuing stream of different experiences on that other planet. It was almost as if she was living another life. Her experiences in her dreams often were bizarre, and even though she hated to admit it, sometimes fun. People were interested in hearing the ongoing story that was unfolding in her subconscious. They were also interested, because many of them appeared in dreams, although usually in radically different roles. She smiled. Certainly her innermost feelings about the various individuals were coming out in her dreams. Whenever she told Ran her latest dream, she was careful not to reveal too much about these characterizations. "Was it a bad dream?" Ran asked, hoping to get more information. "No," Lum responded, "We went on a class field trip, and I threw a sentient fruit at that boy so hard that it stuck to his head, and he became the fruit." "Sentient fruit?" "Yes, there were two of them, male and female who were in love with each other. Ataru had the male one, and the female landed on all kinds of people, including Jariten." Ran chuckled. "And so he started acting like the girl." "Yes," Lum laughed, "and the girl fruit forced him to run to Ataru." "Did I get Rei in this dream too?" This was one of Ran's greatest interests. Rei was a squadron commander, and a part of the aristocracy. He was far out of Ran's reach, but it was obvious to everyone, except Rei, that she had a crush on him. Lum thought he was rather stupid and ate too much, but unfortunately it was already arranged by their parents. Lum had to marry him. That date, which was not too far off, was not one that Lum was looking forward to, but it was one of those alliances that needed to be made in order to keep the Empire going. She was a princess and had to marry out of duty rather than love. Perhaps that was another reason she almost looked forward to the dreams. In her dreams she had told Rei what she really thought of him. She had always wanted to do that. She could be her own woman in her dreams. Strangely, although she was still a princess, she had none of the political responsibilities she so hated. She was free to pursue that alien boy, her "Darling", with no concern for anything else. There were certainly times when she wished she could stay in her dreams. Lum's train of thought was broken when Ran asked her question again, "Did I get Rei in this dream?" "Oh yes, I remember that you two were sitting under a tree, and you were feeding him." Wasn't it strange, Lum thought, how easily she could retain the memory of these dreams. Ran smiled and sighed, "Too bad it is only a dream." "Yes, " Lum thought out loud, "too bad." Ran finished her fussing and Lum checked the mirror. Once again, Ran's work was exemplary. From a sleepy mess, Lum was transformed into the military princess, beautiful and dangerous. "Thank you, Ran," she said, "What is my schedule for today?" "There's a war council at point 35. You'll be making the final arrangements for the invasion of Earth next week. . ." "Hmm, another planet. This constant expansion of the Empire is getting tiring." "The Empire needs the slaves and the resources, my lady." "Yes, I know. What else?" "You have a holo-audience with your father at point 52. . ." Lum shivered. She still felt like a little girl around him. The amount of power he held made her feel small, even though she was by no means without authority herself. "Dinner with Rei at point 60 . . ." Lum made a face. "And finally the doctor's appointment at point 74." "Doctor?! Who said I needed to see a doctor?!" "Your family is worried about these dreams. You've been having them almost every night. As benign as most of them seem, it could be a sign of something serious. Besides, it was your father's order, so there is nothing you can do about it." Lum looked at Ran, who eyes showed nothing but concern. Lum almost sensed a bit of satisfaction at that last statement. It was true, Lum was just as much a servant as Ran, just to different people. She wished they could all be free. Lum sighed, "I'll be having supper tonight late, apparently. After I get done with the doctor, about point 80. Something light." "Yes, my lady, " Ran said and bowed out. "Computer, what is the time?" "Point 32:57," the computer answered. * * * Ataru Moroboshi made his way toward school, desperately trying to deflect the questions of his friends. It was yet another day of fielding the insatiable questions about Lum, the demon girl that he was having recurring dreams about. "Did you kiss her?" Megane asked. "No, " Ataru answer grumpily. "Did I kiss her?" Pama asked. "She would never kiss you!" Kakugari quickly said. "More than she would you!" Pama responded. "She didn't kiss anyone!" Ataru shouted. Megane put his arm around Ataru's shoulder, "You know, I'm starting to worry about you. Here you have this gorgeous girl chasing after you and you have never even kissed her." "She's just a dream, Megane." "You have to take what you can get," Megane observed. "I have Shinobu. She's all I really want." At this the other four burst out laughing. "You lust after every girl in the school," Pama stated. "Just like the rest of us," Chibi added. Megane held up his hand and motioned for silence, "Now, now. We must understand Ataru's plight. After all he has a beautiful girl chasing after him in his dreams, whom he only runs from. Considering what dreams say about the unconscious I'd say that we must conclude that Ataru Moroboshi is gay." "I am not!" "It's true" Kakugari said. "Perhaps he would prefer a handsome guy chasing him in his dreams?" Pama said putting his hand on his hip and batting his eyes. "You take that back! It's not true at all! I'm a bigger lech than any of you." "But after what gender is our question?" Megane said. With this, the four began laughing hysterically, and ran off with Ataru chasing them. After a short sprint Ataru asked himself why he was chasing them. He wanted to be alone, let them run away. He resumed a more leisurely pace. "Why do I run from her?" he asked himself. "She is beautiful. Normally I would be all over a girl like that, especially if she wanted me to. Horns or no, that's not the part of her body that I'm interested in." Ataru chuckled to himself. "Ataru," came a feminine voice from behind him. It was his girl, Shinobu. "Ataru," she said again moving up along side of him. "I know that laugh, you were thinking about other girls." Ataru thought quickly, and decided he could get further with honesty in this case. "Just thinking," he responded. Shinobu looked skeptically at him. "You had better make sure that is as far as you go. You dreamt about Lum again last night?" This, believe it or not, was a touchier subject than him chasing real girls. Shinobu had become insanely jealous of the imaginary girl that haunted Ataru's dreams. Being able to honestly say that he was not accepting her advances was the only thing that had saved him up until now. There was no good way out of this one. She knew he had dreamt about Lum, or would find out, so he couldn't lie. But she didn't want to hear the truth either. Before the dreams started, he had never seen this side to Shinobu. She was much more relaxed, much gentler. They had been sweethearts since kindergarten, but now a dream was destroying their relationship. Ataru was having second thoughts about Shinobu, as he knew she had about him. He wasn't sure this would change if the dreams went away. "Yes," he said meekly. The best he could hope for was to be submissive. "Did you kiss her?" "It always came down to that, didn't it," he thought to himself. Everyday that was the question, from Shinobu, from the guys, his parents, relatives, everyone. Everyone wanted to know whether or not they had kissed yet, and they hadn't. Maybe that was the reason that he was running from her. It's was like if he did kiss her the whole fabric of existence would come tumbling down. "No," he answered, "There's only one set of lips that I kiss." he smiled at her and put his finger on her lips. She looked up into his eyes and returned a weak smile. She kissed his finger and her face softened. "Oh Ataru, this is so hard. I can't compete with a girl who isn't real, but she has you every night. What can I do? What can I say? For me, please stop dreaming about that girl." The stopped and held each other. "I wish I could, Shinobu dear. I wish I could." But did he? * * * Lum watched the rotating holo-image in the center of conference room. It displayed a small image of the third planet in the Sol system along with all the data they had on the inhabitants and their defenses. The technology was fairly primitive, but the planet was making fast progress. In another hundred years or so they might start developing weapons that would challenge the Empire. They were very warlike. Best to get them now, before they developed interstellar travel and became a problem. "Computer, time?" Lum inquired. "Point 33:70," came the response The generals and commanders would show up shortly. Lum liked to come early to study things in silence without all the bickering that usually went along with these meetings. Lum sighed loudly. It was always a power game. There was rarely any discussion of strategy. It was whose division gets the glory missions. More aristocratic bickering is what it actually was, family honor and all that. There was never any consideration about the death and destruction. Once they had bickered out positions, or more than likely after Lum put her foot down, it was Lum who then actually organized a campaign that would really work. Planet after planet, it was always the same. Lum was about ready to shove a fist through the control panel in frustration when Jariten bounced into the room. "Hiya Lum," he called brightly. In general, Lum liked Jariten. He was a bit heavy, roundish. If he wasn't well born he would have never been allowed in the fighter corps. He was also a bit of a practical joker, but Lum liked him anyway. He took very little seriously, and knew how to make the right people mad. He stirred up a lot of trouble, but was very rarely ever caught. Lum liked to watch his antics, as long as he didn't lose his temper. Ten had a fiery temper. He never did anything to her though, because he liked her as well, and he also knew as long as he had her silent approval he could get away with almost anything. "Hi Ten," she answered with a brief smile. He came up next to her and began studying the map. Actually, he was studying her. The biggest part of his ability to get away with things was a power to read people quickly. He knew well the cage she was in. It often sought to close him in as well, but he was too fast for it. Though, he had to admit, he was a bit lower down the succession line. Lum was too close, and too responsible. He felt for her, and tried to do what he could. His jokes were for both of them. "So," he said, "ready for the prewar war?" Lum chuckled. He was reading her thoughts again, "You know how I feel. I'd like to give them all a big zap." Ten was confused for a moment. "Oh, the dreams." "Yeah. But I have to see the doctor this afternoon, so I suppose I won't be having them for much longer." Ten shoved his hand through the holographic planet. "Ahh! We're being attacked by the great space hand!" he yelled. Taking his hand out he turned back to her and asked, "Family's idea?" "Yes." Ten chuckled. "You found a way to escape the cage for awhile so they rush to close up the hole. Even your dreams are no refuge for long." Lum was about to answer when Rei walked in with General Nevens. Rei was in the General's division, and was currently sucking up. Another reason for Lum to despise him. He was one of them. Ten watched Lum's eyes, knowing her thoughts, and tapped her on the shoulder. He smiled, gave her a wink, and bounced over to Rei and the General. "Hiya, Rei!" he said and smiled brightly. Rei looked at him coldly. "That's Commander," Rei responded in his customary short sentences. Ten, for obvious reasons, was never promoted, except to keep his family's embarrassment to a minimum. Rei, on the other hand, moved up the ranks rather quickly. This fact was Rei's only ammunition in a battle that Rei was horribly ill-equipped for. "Titles? Between close kin? Cousins?" Ten was still smiling brightly. The fact that the two were related was one of Ten's better shots from a vast arsenal. "Distant cousins." "Not too distant," he said and changed the subject, "Hear you had trouble with your replicator again. Dinner was a little unsettling, though you do eat too fast." Rei began to grumble a response when Ten launched his third and most devastating volley, "Oh yeah, I have a message from Mara." "Mara?" Rei asked with interest. Mara was Rei's current fling. Rei didn't feel his impending marriage was any reason for fidelity. "Yeah. No dice on the date. She's busy that night. Someone. . . I mean something came up." With that Ten turned and went to his assigned seat. Rei was red with anger. Lum forced back a chuckle. Rei was undoubtedly the most handsome man in the fleet, but he was no match for Ten when it came to women. Ten was fat and short, but for some reason women flung themselves at him. He often amused himself by going after Rei's girls, and Lum loved him for it. The General saw the amused look on Lum's face and shook his head. "Don't let it bother you, Commander. Come tell me what you think of the fourth squadron." Rei swallowed his pride and resumed sucking up. Lum and Ten exchanged smiles and the rest of the generals showed up. Lum began the meeting and the bickering commenced. * * * Ataru sat under a tree in the school courtyard. It was his second favorite time of the day, lunchtime. His favorite time was, of course, suppertime. He was about to wolf down his meal when out of the corner of his eye he saw the school nurse, Miss Sakura, coming toward him. "Oh great, she heard," he thought. Sakura was a competent nurse, and the object of every young man's lust in the high school, but she had a preoccupation with the supernatural and had made Ataru and his dreams a mission of hers. At first, he loved the attention. He was the envy of the rest of the guys. When she examined him he was in heaven. The other guys had to make things up, but he had a real illness. Now however, he was getting a little tired of it. She wouldn't leave him alone. She said she had a medical interest, but Ataru figured that she probably thought he was possessed and wanted to exorcise him. She was as bad as that damn monk, Cherry, who hung around his house, raiding the kitchen. Ataru thought they must be related or something. She stood over him. Ataru hoped for a good wind. "I understand you had another dream last night," she said with a hint of the same accent that the Shinto clergy used. "Yes," he said reluctantly. She sighed. "I wish you would take this more seriously. It is not normal to dream about the same thing every night." "I know that!" Ataru snapped. He was very tired of being pestered about his dreams. He stood up. "But what am I supposed to do about it? I can't stop sleeping. Besides, for the most part, they're not bad dreams. It's reality that gives me a headache. All these people continually asking me about my dreams is getting on my nerves. Why don't you figure out a way to take care of that?" He marched off. Sakura walked after him. "You say you like your dreams better than real life. You are beaten often in these dreams." "It doesn't hurt that much." Sakura stopped. "You can feel pain in your dreams?" Ataru also stopped and turned, "Yes, but it's . . . " "But it's what? Just a dream? I don't think so. Come to my office. I need to examine you again." Ataru nodded submissively, and they went back to the school. * * * Lum stormed out of the conference room. It was everything she thought it would be and worse. There was only one release for the anger and the frustration she felt now, that was the fighter corps and her friend Benten. Benten was not a friend that Lum was really allowed to have. She was not Uruseian, but a member of the one of the slave planets that they had conquered. Occasionally, an exceptional pilot from one of these planets would be noticed and be allowed to fight for the Empire. But although Benten enjoyed many privileges that her people did not she was still considered to be a slave and far below Lum's station. Lum found Benten in the fighter bay doing what she was normally doing, fussing over her fighter. Benten's fighter was undoubtedly the cleanest and best cared after fighters in the fleet. The bay crews didn't come near it. Benten did all the work on it. They wouldn't understand some of the modifications she had made on it anyway. She called it her 'bike' because she considered it to be just a larger version of the air bikes she had flown at home. Even more than with Jariten, Lum felt free around Benten. Benten saw Lum coming. She had heard that there would be a war meeting that morning and was expecting her. Benten offered a sarcastic bow, "Your highness. What can your humble servant, a mere slave, hope to offer your loftiness." Lum let loose with a light backhand across the top of Benten's bowed head, "Stop that!" "War conference over?" Benten asked straightening up. "Yes, but how did you. . ." "The only time I get to see you anymore is after one of those damn conferences. They must keep you pretty busy." Lum sat on a floater disc which hovered near the fighter. She lowered her eyes. "Not too busy. I'm sorry." "Oh shit, Lum. I know what's going on. Your family doesn't want you to see me, so they schedule your day for you. That's why you've been so damn irritable lately. You don't have any time for yourself. Those Uruseian aristocrats are such asses." The last sentence was accompanied by a smile and a wink. Lum smiled back. "They are, aren't they?" "One of these days, I'm going to lead my people in revolt and we're going to nail their hides on the wall for target practice." "You shouldn't talk that way out the open like this, but when you do lead that revolt count me on your side." "On my side?! Shit, I thought you were leading my assault force." Lum smiled. These types of conversations was why Lum liked coming here after the conferences. Benten wasn't really in too much danger because of her talk. Her incredible kill ratio made up for a lot of sins, and then there was her friendship with Lum. Though there were those who waited for Lum to turn her back for just a moment. "Dammit Lum, one of these days you and me will take out those bastards. You'll see." "I just wish I wasn't one of those bastards." "Hell, you're the number two bastard about to be number one." "When I lead the assault, I'll be leading it against myself." "It should be one hell of a confrontation." "It usually is." Benten sighed and put her arm around Lum's shoulder, and said quietly, "Hey kiddo, you remember it's not just talk with you. You'll have the power someday. My people know that. All the slave planets know that. We're waiting for you. And when you come into power you'll have the greatest force the universe has ever seen behind you." "But I have to marry Rei. He'll be the Emperor." "Rei," Benten spit. "He can't put three words together to save his life. You'll walk all over him. Let Jariten stay with you. He'll keep Rei busy." Lum chuckled. "You should have heard what he said to Rei before the meeting. All the barons are after my father to . . .MY father! Computer, what time is it?" "Point 53:02." Lum's eyes grew wide with fear. She stood up quickly. "What's wrong?" "I had a holo-audience with my father at point 52. I'm late. He's going to kill me. I'm sorry Benten. I have to go. I'll try to come back this evening." With that, she flew off as fast as she could. Benten watched her run through the exit. "Sure Lum," she said, her eyes showed the sadness she felt for her friend. They'll wear her down before she ever reaches the throne, she thought. She turned and resumed cleaning her fighter. Lum burst into the communications chamber quite winded from her run. The attendant looked at her. Lum met her eyes and then motioned toward the holo-viewer. The attendant nodded gravely. Lum's head dropped and she sighed. She reluctantly went over to the viewer and the attendant worked to reestablish the link. After a few seconds an image of her father talking to a subordinate focussed in the chamber. Her father turned toward her. He did not look overly pleased. "So my daughter has graciously deemed to make contact with her father?" "Father, I am sorry," Lum pleaded," but the war meeting went on so long and I had to talk to Ben . . . someone." "Someone, meaning Benten," The Emperor of two-thirds of the explored galaxy sighed, "My poor little girl. We'll discuss your meetings with Benten in a bit, but first tell me about the war council." Lum's face became angry. "Father, they are such idiots!" "Given, but I would rather hear about invasion strategies." Her father said evenly. Lum caught herself. The multi-relationship that she shared with her father was sometimes confusing. Father-daughter, Emperor-subject, Commander-lieutenant, Teacher-student, each requiring a different tone, a different language. Each revolved around a different aspect of her life. She almost had to be several persons. She didn't know how her father did it. "I'm sorry, " she apologized and drew a breath. "Earth does not have the technology to withstand our forces. They are militaristic, and have nuclear technology, but are cumbersome in space. I decided only to use four divisions. I probably won't go down myself. I don't think it will be necessary. . ." Lum's father nodded attentively as Lum continued her report. She went over the whose divisions would be used and what kind of hardware would be necessary. When she had finished, he father smiled. "Quite satisfactory, as usual. How many forces will you have to leave?" "Two divisions should be enough to hold them. I am worried that they seem to have a long history of rebelling against government. Though the populace has extensively mined the planet, it is still rich in resources and water. I suggest giving the planet to the Tenwan family." Lum's father nodded. "Very good. I assume you hope to give Tenwan Undau a little extra edge on the Azu's?" "Yes," Lum responded, smiling at her father's recognition of her political cleverness. "It is a good choice, but have you considered the Efuan family." "Efuan Randa?" "Yes. Her family is competing for a water contract against Azu. You might be able to do Tenwan a better favor by helping Efuan get that contract. A heavy water planet like Earth would swing the contract in her favor. Tenwan really doesn't have the resources to make use of the water on that planet, but Efuan does. Not to mention that we won't be directly seen as taking sides in the Tenwan-Azu conflict. By giving the planet to Efuan you can attack Azu on two sides." Well, so much for Lum's cleverness. But this wasn't the first time her father had done that to her, and it wouldn't be the last. She hadn't yet learned to see the situation as completely as her father could. "That would be better," she agreed, "I failed to take that into consideration." "Yes, but don't despair. Your suggestion was valid and well thought out. Someday, you'll add the edge of experience to you judgments. Truthfully, when I was your age, I don't think I would have even thought of Tenwan, let alone Efuan." "Thank you, father." Their roles had switched again. She was no longer a lieutenant reporting to her commander, now she was a student. Lum's father looked around him, and motioned for someone off screen to go. Turning back to Lum he said, "Tell the attendant to set our transmission on scramble, and then tell her to leave." Lum turned to attendant who was already completing the coding to scramble the transmission. They nodded to each other, and the attendant left. Lum turned back to her father. She was curious as to why they needed such secrecy. "I wanted to talk to you about your future," he began, "Many things are happening very quickly now, and we must be careful. I got another report about Jariten. It is getting harder and harder to defend him. Please ask him to refrain from badgering Rei." "Father, please, he hasn't done anything too bad." "I know, I don't like Rei much either, but he is your fiancee." "You don't like him, then why do I have to marry him?!" "Why is very simple. I had no sons. There are some in the Empire who claim that since I had no sons, I have no heir to put on the throne. I don't hold with that in the slightest, but some of them like Rei's father are very powerful. I had to bend to get you on the throne. I want you on the throne, Lum. The Empire needs you. I believe that strongly." "Rei will still be Emperor. We've still lost." "You have to learn to look deeper. Rei will be Emperor, but you'll be empress. Your will is much stronger than Rei's. He'll be busy strutting while you rule the Empire. And then there is Jariten. Why do you think I keep him with you? He will be invaluable as an advisor to you, and he has other talents. He assesses people quickly, and he can help you keep Rei in check. I want him to teach your sons, not Rei." "But father, what kind of life is that? Constantly having to keep the political upperhand on my husband." "My poor girl, it is no life. I am fortunate that I do love your mother, but it was a political marriage, and on many subjects we are opposed." Lum's mother was from the Azu family. She and Rei got along well. Like Rei, Lum's mother believes in station, and family glory and honor. Lum shares her father's more universal viewpoint, Empire over families, people over power. All Lum's life, her mother lectured her on comportment and the need for rank and pomp. It sounded more like gibberish to Lum's ears. "Is there no way I can rule without him?" "I wish there was. You must believe me. It is with him, or not at all. He will be Emperor either way, or there will be civil war. Do you want that? "I'm sorry it had to come to this, my daughter. Our family has lost much of its prestige. I'm afraid I did not run it well." That admission hurt and surprised Lum. To her, her father was great, and nearly perfect. A master strategist, a warrior, the Emperor, but now he appeared to be a tired old man. Worn beyond his years, and admitting defeat. Yet beyond her inflated image of her father, Lum knew the truth. Her father ran her family as best as anyone could. He only had one flaw. He had no sons. In many respects this fact made him a lame duck. By tradition, his daughter could not come directly to the throne, she had to marry. This was an Achilles heel that other families often used to their advantage. Her father would have to cave in to one of them, eventually. Only two other women had ever succeeded to the throne in nearly 5000 years of Uruseian history. Lum knew the stories of both of them very well, Saras Tretha and Yon Onhu. Both were women of incredible will. Saras Tretha's career was uneventful, however. She maintained the Empire well, but that is all she did. It did not expand during her reign. She died with no heirs. Yon Onhu, was quite another matter. She rose to power in the midst of civil war. It was started precisely due to her gender and succession. Her father did not force her to marry to one of the more powerful families as Lum's father was doing. However, Yon was not overthrown. She defeated the rebels, and died in her bed. She had five sons from a husband of her own choosing. The eldest, Redet Wai, ruled after her. Lum was a Redet. Yon Onhu was her five times great grandmother, and she was Lum's favorite study. Lum even knew what the Empress Yon's favorite childhood song was. It was Lum's favorite as well. If only there weren't so many killed in that civil war. "Benten is also on that ship for a reason," her father continued, breaking Lum out of her thoughts. "Are you surprised? Perhaps you thought I didn't want you near her." "Yes, that's what we both thought, " Lum said taken aback. "Depth, Lum. Think it through. If I had wanted you separated I would never have assigned you to the same fleet." "I requested her with me," Lum said. "And I approved. You're not the Empress yet. Everything has to go through me. I know about your relationship, and I know what you talk about. You should be more careful. Your relationship with her is well known among the families. That is another reason you need Rei. They are frightened of you, and her. Did you know that there have been no less than seven attempts on her life?" Again Lum was surprised. "No, I knew there were plots, but. . ." "She didn't tell you? She killed them all. Two in her fighter, three in the hall near her room, and two on her home planet during leave. All because of your relationship with her and what she stands for." Lum had no idea of any of this. She had known Benten for years. Benten had never admitted to actual attempts on her life. Was their friendship that important to Benten, or perhaps her reasons were political as well. Lum would have to find out. "Lum, nothing is too crazy to be true. These are things you should know, or at least should have guessed about. This is the world that you were born into, and the one that you will rule. But still, I want Benten with you. She will give you the power of the slave planets to use against the families. It is a great power. When you are Empress make her your personal guard and advisor. You will need her. "Finally, your dreams. I don't need to tell you that these are the last things you need now. The whole Empire knows of them. Many are beginning to call you mad, and are trying to use them to keep you from the throne. That is why I made that appointment for you with our doctor," Lum's father took a deep breath, "Lum, this is very important. The doctor will cure you of these dreams, whether he does or not. Do you understand me?" "Yes, father." "Tell Ran you had a normal dream tomorrow morning. This has got to stop. "I wanted to tell you these things so that you'll be more careful. The dreams have made our situation more dangerous. I want my daughter to succeed me, and I want the succession to be a smooth one. You are not a little girl anymore. You are going to be treated as an adult now, and you live in a field of land mines." Lum felt tears welling up around her eyes. Her father noticed them, and his face softened. "I understand," Lum responded quietly. "Goodbye, my precious darling. I love you." With that the image of Lum's father decomposed into many scattering dots, and disappeared. "I love you, daddy." Lum went to the attendant's chair and sat down. Tears were rolling down her face and she buried her head in her hands. Why did her father have to do it. All her friends, and her relationships, everything she knew was political. Everything so neatly arranged. She didn't hate him for it, because he had taught her well. She knew it was all necessary. She knew the stakes. Civil war or the Empire ruled by Rei and his ilk was unacceptable. It had to be her, and her life had to be arranged just so for that to come about. Everyone wanted her to be the savior of the galaxy. The weight crushed her young shoulders. She longed for the embrace of her dream lover, Ataru. She longed for the kiss that would free her from all this. * * * Ataru Moroboshi left Sakura's office after being poked and prodded for fifteen minutes. No great revelations about his situation were forthcoming. Ataru was not surprised. Fortunately, there were still fifteen minutes left for lunch. Ataru went back out to the school yard and to his favorite tree, where he found Shutaro Mendo finishing his own lunch. Shutaro Mendo was a bit of an odd sort as far as Ataru was concerned. His family was extremely poor, but Mendo did his best not to show it. Mendo had the best imagination in the whole school. He would often entertain schoolmates by telling fantastic stories about samurai, and ancient battles. He considered Ataru his best friend, though Ataru was less than enthusiastic. Mendo would often tell Ataru about what he would do if he were immensely rich. Mendo would have soldiers, and planes. His land would stretch as far as the eye could see, and his army would be greater than the combined force of the planet. These stories amused Ataru at first, but now they were getting a little old. Mendo seemed almost to live in that fantasy world of his imagination. With all this in mind, Ataru sat down next to him anyway, fully aware that more stories of this incredible wealth would be forthcoming. "Hello Mendo, " he said as he sat down. "Greetings," Shutaro responded, "Another examination from Sakura?" "Yes," Ataru said."She never lets up." "Poor Ataru. Every boy in school feels sorry for you. What did you do to get her so interested in you." "I didn't do anything. It's just the dreams," Ataru protested. "I have all kinds of dreams, but she never takes such an interest in me. Last night I dreamed of an alien princess." Ataru was surprised. Maybe he wasn't alone after all. "Was her name Lum?" he asked. Mendo turned to Ataru and smiled. He had Ataru hooked for another story. "You mean did I dream about your girl, no. I would never steal your girl away from you. Her name was Elle. She had ten thousand men who wanted to be her suitors, but I was her favorite." "Oh," said Ataru quickly losing interest. He had heard this story before. Mendo was disappointed, but he continued, "And she had red hair, not green. Really Ataru, why green hair? That's a little odd. Is she some kind of plant creature? I thought it was I who had the imagination." "No, she's no plant creature. She has the body of a beautiful girl. Her skin is very soft, and her eyes are a deep blue. Her voice is like a song. Her green hair is long and flows all around her when she flies." Mendo studied Ataru as he described the girl in his dreams. Ataru's eyes looked far off. It all seemed pretty obvious to Shutaro. "You're really in love with this girl, aren't you?" Ataru was quickly shaken from his images and turned hard on Mendo. "What?" he snapped. "You're in love with this Lum, this dream girl of yours," Shutaro repeated. "I am not! She's not even real. Everyone knows that Shinobu is my girl." Ataru's outburst was what Mendo wanted. It would pay him back for being inattentive. Mendo smiled smugly, as he stood and brushed the dirt from his school uniform. "Well, whatever you say." He brushed his hair back from his eyes. It's time for class. You had better get your lunch eaten. See ya later." With a wave, Mendo walked off toward school. Ataru watch him levelly. He then looked down at his as yet untouched lunch. The school clock read five minutes to one. "Damn!" Ataru spat under his breath, and wolfed down his meal. 'Of course I don't love her,' he thought as he got up to throw his lunch bag in the garbage. 'She's a dream. No more real than any of Mendo's stories. What kind of weirdo falls in love with a dream girl?' As Ataru walked up the steps to the school he noticed his reflection coming toward him in the glass of the main entrance doors. He stopped for a quick moment in front of the door, and then angrily whipped it open and went in. * * * Lum chastised herself for indulging in the luxury of self-pity and stood up from the attendant's chair that she had sat in after her conversation with her father. Suddenly Ran burst through the door. "My princess, oh thank the spirits that I found you." "What is it?" "It is nearly point six-zero, princess. You have to get ready for your dinner with Rei." Lum was beginning to feel a headache coming on. Dinner with Rei, she would be late. Her whole day was running behind and it was barely half way through. "Okay," she sighed, and went though the communications room door, with Ran close behind. "I don't know how I'm going to get you ready in time, my lady. There is so little time left." "I'll go basically as I am," Lum stated, "Just comb my hair and add a little touchup makeup." "Oh no, my lady," Ran protested as they rounded a corner at a rushed pace. "That won't do. You're having lunch with your fiancee, you should look your best." Lum sighed. "I know how you feel about Rei, but I don't share those feelings. Besides, I think the battle dress turns him on. Hmm, perhaps I should change after all." Ran stopped for a moment outside Lum's quarters, trying to sort her thoughts out about what Lum had just said. She continued into the room, where Lum was picking out something appropriate to wear. Her best clothes went unchecked. "That is such a terrible thing to say, My princess. Rei is such a handsome man. You should feel fortunate to be allowed to marry him." Lum shoved one of her more tacky dresses at Ran. "Here, I want to wear this. You really have to get to know him to despise him as much as I do. Marrying him is no privilege." Ran gave it a brief glance and then threw it on a chair. She went to the closet to get a better dress, while Lum took off her clothes. Taking out one of Lum's finer garments, Ran hung it against Lum and looked it over. "There, that'll do. You'll be beautiful." The switching the conversation back to Rei, she said, "Nonsense! He's a member of the Seq house, they're very powerful. He'll give you a much higher station, and he is so very handsome." "Higher station, Ran? I'm the daughter of the Emperor. How do you get higher than that? What is this dress you're putting on me? It's my best one. I wanted the other one." Unheeding of the last comment, Ran pulled the dress over Lum's body and straightened it around her. She took out a small molecular connector closing the zipper seam, and then finished straightening the dress. Ran stepped back for a look. "Beautiful," she decided. "I wish I could look that beautiful, but then I'm not nobility, am I?" There was a slight bite in Ran's last statement. "If I had your position. I would marry Rei like a shot. All the girls on the ship like him except for you. Best do something with that hair." Lum winced as Ran pulled the comb roughly through her hair. "I'll tell you what, when I'm Empress I'll give you permission to marry Rei." Ran's spirits shot through the ceiling when she heard this, but then shot through the floor when she remembered one important fact. "Don't tease your servant, Mistress. When you're Empress, Rei will be married to you." Ran finished Lum's hair and started working on her makeup. "Ran, believe me when I tell you that I want nothing more than for you to be married to Rei." Ran smiled a little servant's smile, but it was more than that because she knew that Lum was serious. Ran would take any hopeless chance she could get. "When I marry Rei, perhaps you and I could have a joint wedding." Lum smiled. "Who do you have in mind for me, or are we both marrying Rei?" "Spirits no, mistress. You would marry your dream lover, Ataru. Since my getting married to Rei is only a dream, it is only fitting." Ran finished and turned Lum toward the mirror. Perfect as usual. Far better than she would have liked to look for Rei, but perhaps this was better. She remembered the caution that her father said she needed. "It is fitting, Ran. It's a date, then. Thank you." "Thank you, mistress," Ran said bowing. "Computer, time," Lum commanded. "Point 59:70," came the response. Lum smiled to Ran, "and as efficient as usual." She made her way to the door. She paused before going out and turned to Ran. "Unfortunately, I am afraid that Ataru won't be in my life anymore." "Mistress, what do you mean?" "Well, I have the doctor's appointment at point 74. He is sure to cure the dreams." "That would be a shame, Mistress." Ran was genuinely disappointed at the thought. "It would be. Be sure I'm notified in plenty of time for my appointment. I want time to change. I don't want to go looking like this." "Yes, my mistress," Ran said and bowed again. Lum left the room. After Lum left, Ran began cleaning up the discarded clothes. "Not that it matters anyway, " Ran said to herself, "the doctor will have you strip down to your birthday suit no matter what you are wearing." ( On command ships like Lum's there was a luxury not found on most Uruseian ships. This was the aristocratic dining hall. It was a large ornate room, totally impractical on a space ship, but didn't nobility deserve the luxury? It had real wood finish, and gold trim. The ceiling was 5 meters high, apparently supported by marble pillars. Around the walls were portraits of the long line of Urusean emperors. The rise of technology was apparent in the pictures. The gallery showed first an increase in art sophistication and pigment quality, later there were black and white photographs and then color, finally holographic images of increasing quality lined the remainder of the room. There were some one hundred and twenty images, ending with her father. All reprints, of course. The originals were in the central palace. As she entered the room, Lum looked at the portrait of her father and remembered what he had said about Rei. 'I will behave myself,' she thought. Then her eyes moved to the portrait of Empress Yon, and she allowed herself a slight smile. She glanced at the table. It was already laid out. Servants stood by and smiled at her entrance. They all bowed respectfully as she approached the table. The Head Waiter motioned her to her seat. "Good afternoon, my princess, " he said. "Rei has not come yet?" she asked, noticing the empty seat across from hers. The waiter coughed slightly. "No mistress, but I'm sure he will be along shortly." "He's late again," Lum said, "I wish Ran wouldn't rush me so. Computer, time." "Point 60:10." "You see, Mistress, it is not very long. He will be here shortly." "He won't be here until Point 61 at least, but I will wait. Please bring me some water." "Yes mistress," he said and bowed out. Lum had postulated many reasons why Rei always kept her waiting. Anything from a demonstration of his male dominance, to the possibility that he didn't know how to get the time from the computer. It annoyed Lum to no end. She did not like to be kept waiting. Her time was important. Not that she looked forward to seeing Rei, but rather the sooner this meal started, the sooner it would be done. Lum looked back at Empress Yon's portrait again. It was a regular two-dimensional color photograph. The last one, however, her son's was the first hologram. Her picture was taken on the anniversary of the thirtieth year of her reign. She looked old, but still strong. Her eyes were very wise, and there was a hint of a smile on her face. Lum had wondered at times, what she was smiling about; a joke told by the cameraman, or maybe a little conceit at surviving so long with such odds against her. Lum had in her possession one of the few surviving photographs of Empress Yon when she was nearer to Lum's age. It was taken with her father two years before he died. Yon Onhu was nineteen at the time. There was little family resemblance between she and Lum. Perhaps the eyes, or the horn ridges, but not much else. Too many generations were intervening. In any case, Onhu was a beautiful woman when she was young. Lum's eyes wandered back to her father's image as the waiter brought her the water. Lum had never liked the picture. She felt it was unflattering. It made him look older than he actually was. She didn't know what it was, the lighting or something in his expression. She had begged him to take another, but he had said he liked that one, so it stayed. Finally Rei showed up. As he made his way to the table, Lum noted how regally he was dressed. Lum was undecided whether to be impressed or sickened by his incredible ostentation. A quick glance back at her father's portrait convinced her to be at least outwardly impressed. She stood and went to him. They embraced and gave each other a slight peck on the lips. Rei stepped back and noted Lum's dress. "You look nice," he said. "Thank you, " she said, "You are also looking well." He nodded at the complement and then showed her back to her seat. After he had seated her, he went back to his. Lum was a little shocked at all this. She had always thought of him as some kind of beast, but now he seemed very gentlemanly. No doubt it was a matter of acting out one's station rather than any kindness in his heart, but this different side of Rei fascinated Lum. She watched him sit in his chair and deftly unwrap his silver. He lay the napkin across his lap while the servants brought out the soup. She waited for the accustomed loud slurping as he drank his soup, but he merely sipped it from his spoon. He looked up at Lum and smiled at the attention he noticed he was getting. "Very good soup," he commented. "Try some." Lum suddenly noticed the untouched bowl sitting in front of her. She too began to eat. Someone had been coaching Rei, she thought. She had eaten with him before. For him, it had been a question of how fast he could stuff the food in his mouth. She didn't like watching him. "Good strategy," he said. Lum looked up at Rei, surprised. "Excuse me?" "The War council, good strategy." "Thank you," she said, and quickly tried to think of something nice to say about him. Finally she blurted out, "I like the way you eat your soup." Now there was an intelligent thing to say, she thought. Rei just smiled and raised his spoon to her before he sipped it. Despite Rei's much improved table manners, the rest of the dinner went as normal. The servants brought out each course and they ate it in nearly complete silence. They had nothing in common and Rei was not a conversationalist. It was uncomfortable for both of them. As they finished desert, Rei said, "Ossak?" Lum smiled enthusiastically. "Yes, let's." Ossak was curious game, popular among the aristocracy. It was a game like fencing, in that it revolved around a martial skill. It was like the shock game that children play in dry weather brought to its ultimate conclusion. The uniforms were very sparse, leaving as much skin open as possible, while still remaining in good taste. Each also wore gloves with a woven metallic cover. Inside the gloves was a small power unit which fed and amplified the body's natural electric charge. Like the children's version, the object was to build up an electric charge from the carpeted floor, and unload that charge on the opponent. Of course, also like the children's game, this drained the opponents' charge as well. This is where the similarity ended, because thanks to the added electronics, the voltage did a lot more than sting, it burned. The winner was the one who scored enough touches at enough power to get one hundred points. The more power one hit the opponent with the more points were received. And, if this wasn't fun enough already, the game was played in a low gravity room which was filled with plastic and metal bars. All the bars were made to look the same, but the plastic ones were safe. Hitting a metal bar grounded out your charge and left you vulnerable. In real combat, this was the weapon of choice for all Uruseian aristocrats, except that the amperage was turned significantly higher. A touch would kill. Both Rei and Lum, loved this game, and they loved to play each other. It was the only thing they shared in common. Lum was much better than Rei, and was unbeaten by anyone near her own age. She enjoyed the chance to take her frustrations out on Rei in an accepted and even encouraged form. Although Rei always lost, and although his inability to defeat Lum was a source of shame for him, he enjoyed playing her for several reasons. The first was the constant possibility that someday he could beat her. The second was the rough physical contact with her, which he enjoyed for his own reasons, not to mention the skimpy uniforms which hid little. The third reason had to do with his own feelings towards Lum. Despite what she may have thought about him, he wanted their relationship to be more than political. He did love her. This game was the only pleasure the two had together. The only thing that she enjoyed doing with him. He knew she didn't like him, and underneath, it hurt. If only someone would tell him how to win her love. The only advice he got involved dominance, control and forcing her respect. He was meant to take control of her and the empire and rule both with an iron fist. He didn't like this advice, but he didn't have anything else. He had taken some table etiquette lessons from the Head Waiter in hopes that it would impress Lum. He was pleased at the result, but what else could he do? This dream boy really bothered him. He felt that she was doing this to spite him. She was creating competition for him out of thin air that he couldn't touch. It frightened him. It was only a figment of her imagination, but he felt that he could lose her to it forever. Coming out of the changing room into the low gravity area, Lum felt the familiar jolt of suddenly becoming lighter. She tested her weight a little, and then jumped into the air for a backwards flip. The gravity was turned down to .1 g. In the room it was not a matter of being able to jump high enough. It was easy to hit the ceiling. The problem was having the control not to hit it too hard. Lum was supremely good at low gravity control. Rei walked out from his side of the room, absently putting on his left glove. Lum allowed herself a brief ogle at the firm muscles of Rei's upper body. 'If they only weren't attached to that brain,' she thought. Rei also did a bit of ogling of his own. Lum wore her usual tiger striped uniform which was little more than a bikini and boots. Lum had always liked tiger stripes. Each sent each other an evil grin and began dragging their feet on the carpeted floor to try and build up a charge. Suddenly Lum leaped into the air and grabbed one of the higher bars over Rei in order to position herself for a vertical dive at him. Unfortunately she grabbed one of the metallic bars. She felt the energy drain from her body. She paused for a moment to change plans, which gave Rei enough time to leap into the air after her. She saw him coming and swung around the bar and back to the ground. He missed and rebounded off the ceiling down to one of the lower bars, which was plastic. Lum was on the ground, trying to build up another charge. Rei smiled and made note of the bar she had touched. This was one of the main strategies of the game, the ability to remember at high speeds which were the metal bars, and which which were the plastic ones. The bars were changed each day, so in each game there was a whole new field to remember. This was one of the reasons Lum always won. Her memory for such things was nearly perfect. Rei might accidentally touch that metal bar again during the game, but no matter how much pressure Rei put on Lum, she wouldn't never repeat her mistake. Rei leaped down from his bar at Lum, not wanting to let her build another charge. She leaped right back at him. The surprise of her move knocked him off guard. When they passed, her hand slid against his arm. The combined force of her partial charge and his full charge tingled up and down his body. His arm stung and his muscles tightened. His leap lost all its grace and he bounced back first off the floor and slammed into the wall. Lum grabbed the bar that Rei had been holding. "Touch," she called. The computer's voice rang out, "Lum 4, Rei 0." 'Only 4 points,' thought Lum. She didn't have time to get a good charge and it was still the beginning of the game. The best charge she had delivered to Rei was after several minutes of near misses. She touched him for 35 points. She only needed ten to win. There was an arc of electricity long before she touched him. It had made a loud snapping sound and Rei's hair stood on end. He fell unconscious and later nursed a large second degree burn where she had touched him. She was accused of trying to kill him. Rei defended her then, and they played again shortly afterward. Lum was careful now, not to let her charge get too great. It was playing the same game, that Ran found them at point 71. Lum was ahead of Rei by only two points. Each were within five points of one hundred. Lum had 97 and Rei had 95. Ran didn't go through the door, but watched them through the spectator's window. They had been playing hard. Both were sweating and she noticed each had their share of bruises and burns, but both smiled at each other as they gasped for air and got ready for another leap. Ran's attention quickly focussed on the sweat on Rei's glistening body and stayed there. "I have enough," Rei said as he dragged his feet to build up an even greater charge. "So do I," Lum responded,"But don't think I'm going to let you touch me." Ran sat on the edge of her seat. Rei could win this game. It would be the first time. Ran honestly didn't know who she wanted to root for. Yes she did. She was rooting for Rei. Lum leapt into the air and grabbed a plastic bar. Swinging quickly from bar to bar, she circled the room. Her eyes remained constantly on Rei, who was getting dizzy trying to keep her in view. Finally, he decided he had had enough and also leapt to a bar. Unfortunately, it was a metal bar. He cursed himself. Lum saw her opportunity and lunged at him. He moved to the side at the last minute and touched her leg as she passed. His charge was gone, but hers wasn't. Surprised at getting caught, she barely grabbed a bar before hitting the wall. It was a metal bar, but that didn't matter now. "Touch," Rei called, smiling brightly. "Lum 97, Rei 98," came the computer's response. "What?!" Rei said in shock and glanced at Lum who smiled at him. "I only use what I need," she responded. "We're not done yet, but you are leading." She let herself fall down to the floor. It didn't matter anymore, she was going to build up a big charge. A grand finale. Rei also fell to the ground to do the same, but before he could hit the ground, Lum leaped at him hands first. Tackling him. There was only a slight twinge, but he had been touched. "Touch," Lum called. "Lum 98, Rei 98," came the response. Lum smiled at the surprised Rei. "I hate having you ahead." Lum pushed herself off Rei and landed on her feet at the other end of the room. Rei got up, cautiously eying Lum and they both went about building up a new charge. It was a standoff now. Who would jump first? Almost any hit would do it. Rei was rarely ever this close. He tried not to let it ruin his concentration. Lum was confident and wary. A perfect record was a perfect record. She was determined to get this touch. They began to circle each other all the while dragging their feet. They were building up quite a charge. Suddenly Rei dove and pushed himself off the ground with his hands. He flew over Lum, and twisted around. Lum in response, lunged toward the opposite wall, rebounded with her hands higher into the air. She flipped around to grab hold of a safe bar. She made a quick check of Rei's position as she swung toward a better bar to attack from. Rei shot into the air and used the ceiling to send him to the bar where he felt Lum was heading. She saw his move and twisted her body so that she could catch a bar halfway to stop her. Rei caught the bar that Lum was going to earlier and was shocked to find that it was metal. He immediately understood the trick, but it was too late, Lum had swung around her bar and continued her momentum after him. With a loud snap, she scored the touch. It was only half the power it could have been, but Rei felt his whole body going numb. He fell to the floor. There was a burn where she hit him. "Touch," she called, landing next to him. "Lum 119, Rei 98. Victory goes to Redet Lum. Rei got up slowly. He could afford to feel the pain of the game now. Lum, too felt the protective adrenalin slipping away. Her muscles began to scream at her for the punishment they had been put through. He offered his hand to Lum. They shook hands. "Worthy opponent. Good game," he said and staggered off to the showers. "Good game," she called back, and staggered off to her end of the court. Ran ran up to help her. She smiled at Ran who tried to support her. "I love this game," she said hoarsely through heavy breathing. "I can't imagine why, " Ran said. "You're sore for days after you play him. I thought you were going to have lunch with him." "That was boring." Ran carefully and slowly got Lum washed and changed back into her uniform for her appointment with the doctor. "He's going to have a fright when he looks at you, that's for certain," she commented. "Nonsense," said Lum, "I feel more alive now than I've felt in days." Feeling a little fresher, invigorated but a little sore, Lum made her way to medical department. She walked into the examining room, where she found the doctor. "Ah Lum," he said noticing her arrival, "you're late. Strip." Lum was a little taken aback at his abruptness, but began to take off her clothes. "I see you've been working on your beside manner," she jabbed. "Perhaps," said the doctor, "but there's a certain ego trip to telling young beautiful women to take off their clothes and having them do it without getting them drunk first." Lum shot her doctor a questioning look, "Excuse me?" The doctor smiled broadly. "I just love being a doctor, that's all." Lum suddenly felt very naked as she took her last bit of clothing off. She tried to cover herself as she stood there before him. He laughed. "Oh don't worry. I've been your doctor for years. Of course, I enjoy it more now than when you were five, but..." Lum tried to cover herself even more. "Come now, you know that won't help. Go over and stand on the pad with your arms spread out," he commanded and pointed her on her way to the large dark raised disc in the center of the room. Lum obeyed, while the doctor went to the control console in front of the platform. Lum stood on the platform, spreading her arms and legs wide. Her embarrassment was a little easier to take with the familiarity of the situation. The doctor worked the controls and she felt gentle forces wrap themselves around her body, taking hold of her arms and legs. She felt her body being pulled taut and then lifted into the air. A transparent force bubble formed around her. She floated two meters off the floor among a vast array of sensors and emitters embedded in the ceiling. The doctor stepped forward. "There, now that I have you where I want you, we can talk." Lum looked down at him. "You know I hate this thing." "You used to love riding in my little bubble." "That was before I hit puberty. Now it's demeaning." "Welcome to adulthood," quipped the doctor. "Everyone feels that way. But it's far better than the cold metal tables we used to use. I'm going to do some preliminary tests. Meanwhile I want you to tell me about your dreams." The doctor went back to his controls and the bubble moved closer to the sensors. She was turned around to various angles as the doctor ran different tests. "Well, they started about six months ago," she began. "It was just a couple days a week, but soon it was every day." "The same dream." "No, different dreams, but always the same place and the same people." "People from the ship?" asked the doctor, still manipulating the controls. "Some, but there are a lot of people that I've never even met. They're aliens." "Aliens? From one of the slave planets?" "No, I don't think so. We've never been to this one, I don't think. At least there is no sign of Uruseian rule." "Hmm. You've been playing Ossak again, haven't you?" "Yes," Lum answered reluctantly. "It's a good thing that you're young. What else about the dreams? I'm almost done." "Well, I can fly, and I can fire lightening bolts." "That's interesting." "There's also this alien boy, who I call 'my darling'. He's wonderful, except he's always chasing other girls. We're going to get married." "Oh really. Does Rei know?" "Probably." Lum felt herself fall and then turn horizontally. "Well, let's see what that subconscious of yours is doing when you sleep. I'm going to induce sleeping and monitor your dreams. Then we'll see." Lum's bubble floated across the room, until her head was inserted into a rounded metal cavity. Suddenly she felt sleepy, and the examination room faded away. She looked down and saw her Darling run through the metal door. "Darling!" she yelled. She realized that she was no longer in the examination room, but instead she was shackled by her arms and legs onto a cold stone table. Over to her right she saw a small evil man sharpening a knife. He was chuckling to himself. "Darling!" she yelled again, "Rescue me!" "Lum!" Ataru yelled, and started to make his way to her, when he was trampled by Mendo and the guard. It was at this point that she realized that she was still naked. Her biggest reminder was the five guys who were currently drooling over her. Mendo tried vainly to protect her, and turn their heads, but he couldn't do all five of them at once. All of this did nothing to help free her. The evil man finished sharpening his knife. "Begone, you fools!" he yelled. "I will destroy this demoness, and thus free our world from her oppression." "Darling!" she yelled again. Ataru jumped up and threw himself at the man who was poised over Lum, but was thrown off. His head hit hard against the wall and he was knocked unconscious. Then the man raised his knife and plunged it into her heart. Intense pain rushed through her body. "There, that ought to do it," she heard the doctor say. Lum shook her head to try to get her bearings. The doctor's kindly face was over her. "How do you feel? You were dreaming again, but I fixed it." "What happened? I was stabbed," she said faintly, and tried to look to see how bad the wound was. "Really!" the doctor was genuinely surprised. "That's interesting. I detected a subspace transmission being directed at you. I assumed it is what was causing your dreams. I cut it off." "A transmission?" "Yes, it seems your dreams are coming from outside." "From where?" "Well, that will take a while longer, and is more in the realm of communications experts, not doctors. I do want to do a couple more tests to determine if there was anything permanent done to you." "A transmission," Lum repeated quietly. Even her dreams were political. There'd be no kiss from her Darling now. * * * "JUST A DREAM?" Part 2 Written by Lewis Burden Edited by Joseph Rispoli, Jr. (Based on characters and situations created by Rumiko Takahashi in her series URUSEI YATSURA.) Ataru Moroboshi's sleep was restless. This might have been because he was sleeping in class, or maybe due to the events that he was dreaming about. "Lum!" he called out at the top of his voice. This caused the immediate flight of Professor Onsenmark's eraser. As well-aimed as usual, it impacted at the center of Ataru's forehead, giving him a nasty knock. "Moroboshi!" Onsenmark screamed. "Kindly leave your dreams out of my class!" "Dreams?" Ataru asked, still a little dazed. Megane whispered to Ataru, "You shouted Lum's name at the top of your lungs. I hope it was good." Ataru felt a cold twinge run up his back. He turned quickly to Shinobu, who eyed him with distaste. "Your nights weren't enough, now she gets your days as well," she snapped and then turned away from him. He knew she was crying. "She was in trouble," he said quietly to anyone who would listen. "I think she might be dead. I couldn't save her." "What was that?" came Mendo's concerned voice. "I think she might be dead," Ataru repeated. "This evil man stabbed her with a dagger." "Lum is dead?" Mendo said loudly. This brought comments from the whole class. Megane grabbed Ataru by the shirt and accused, "How dare you let Lum die. What were you doing? Chasing after some other girl?" It was at this point that Onsenmark realized that he had lost the class. "I want everyone's attention! What is going on here? Megane let go of him!" "Professor," Megane began, "You don't understand. This louse dreamed that Lum died." "Lum, meaning the dream girl. Oh, I'm very sorry. I'll send flowers. NOW SIT DOWN AND PAY ATTENTION!" Everyone sat down and class resumed, but after that, Ataru could not give any kind of attention to his school work. School ended and Ataru ducked out the back so that he could avoid the questions from his classmates that he knew would be coming. He made his way home alone and wondered what he would dream about this night if Lum really was dead. Coming up to his home, he stopped short of the door. He had a feeling he should be wary. It was at times like this he wished he lived in America. In America, everyone had a car, and so if there were visitors one could tell before entering because of the car out front. This allowed one advance warning against someone that perhaps you didn't want to meet, a monk named Cherry, for example. He always popped up at the most inconvenient times, and there was no way to know if he was there before it was too late. The possible death of Lum, was just such a time. He was almost surely there. Ataru thought seriously about going for a long walk, but then his stomach began to growl and he smelled supper. There were more important things to worry about, he would have to endure Cherry. And endure him he did, for Cherry was indeed in the house. Ataru groaned and entered. "Hello, Cherry," he said reluctantly. "Ataru!" his mother snapped. "That is no way to show respect to such a distinguished man of the cloth." Turning to Cherry she continued, "I apologize for my son. We have tried and tried again to teach him proper manners, but nothing seems to sink in." "That is quite all right, Mrs. Moroboshi. The lad has a great deal of pressure to deal with. A great evil hangs over him." Ataru's mother ran to Cherry, a lot of worry on her face. "What evil?" she asked furtively. "Will he die?" "Worse," Cherry said, playing his audience. "Worse?" Ataru's mother responded. Ataru's mother believed strongly in the Buddhist religion. She welcomed what Ataru felt was merely freeloading, just to have a holy man present in the house. Ataru wished she could see through him, like he did. "Much worse. A demoness is trying to possess him through his dreams. His woes will be untold if she succeeds." Ataru couldn't take anymore. "Oh, come on! You expect me to believe that garbage. She's only a dream." "Ataru!" his mother yelled, and slapped him across the face. "You will have more respect! Now sit down and listen carefully to what Cherry has to say." "Yes, mother," came a meek response. Ataru sat. Cherry continued his story. "I have been doing a lot of studying about this sort of phenomena since I heard your story. She is anything but a dream, my son, I assure you. She is a demoness, and she will haunt your dreams every night until you succumb to her will. And then you will be hers. You did say she has horns." "Yes, but that's because she's an alien." "Yes, that's what she told you. I warn you not to take me lightly." Cherry bent down so that he was face-to-face with Ataru. "Listen very closely, my son. Do not let her kiss you. That will be the kiss of death. There will be no turning back once that happens." Ataru was unimpressed. He had his own reasons for not kissing her. He didn't need the ravings of some monk to convince him. Cherry stood, and made his way to the door. "Well, Mrs. Moroboshi, this is as long as I can stay. I put some spiritual wards in Ataru's room, that should help to keep the demons out, and if not, tomorrow I'll stay there myself. Ataru was about to protest, but his mother shot him a hard look. She turned back to Cherry and smiled. "Our family is honored that you are taking such an interest in our son." "I fight demons wherever I can find them. Good day." With that he left. Ataru's mother went quickly to her son and slapped him again. "You embarrass me with your disrespect. Cherry is a monk of great importance and you will take what he says to heart, do you understand me?" "Yes, mother, " Ataru answered sheepishly. "I don't know why he takes any interest in such a useless boy." She marched off to the kitchen. "Supper will be ready in a couple minutes, get cleaned up." 'Well, at least Cherry wasn't staying for dinner,' Ataru thought. He felt the sore spot on his face where his mother had slapped him. He wondered what she saw in that monk. He began to get up, and then noticed that his father was sitting right next to him reading the paper. His father lowered the paper slightly to look at his son. "The newspaper is a married man's best friend, son. Remember that," he explained. "Yes, father, I understand," Ataru responded. That was, without a doubt, the wisest thing anyone had said to him all day. He went to get cleaned up for dinner. * * * Lum spent the rest of the day in thought about this new revelation about her dreams being caused by alien transmissions. She did not want to believe it. Her Darling was involved with some plot against her. It had all been a trick. She had might as well accept it. There was no way out. There was no refuge from the life that she was destined to live. There was only one real world. This make-believe world of her dreams where she could run away and be free was just that, make-believe. She felt betrayed, and angry. She would crush this planet for what they had done. She would find their homeworld and destroy it. Redet Lum, Princess of the Uruseian Empire was not to be trifled with! She smashed her fist into the wall to punctuate her last thought. The wall was unforgiving, and her hand suffered for it. She sat in her study chair and thought of all the things she would do to her supposed 'Darling' when she found him for real. A chime sounded from her door. "Come," she snapped. The door opened up to reveal Jariten's round face. "My, my, aren't we wound up? I understand you beat Rei at Ossak again." "It was no big deal." "No big deal. As you know, the game is only the beginning of the torment." He walked over to Lum's free-fall chamber and said, "Computer, zero-gravity." Immediately, he began to float in the air. He carefully leaned back and sighed relaxedly. "I really should get one of these. Do you recommend them?" "They're fine, as long as you don't let your dreams get out of hand." "Oh?" Jariten asked innocently, turning over and crossing his arms on an imaginary pillow. "Oh, don't give me that innocent routine. You heard what happened or you wouldn't be here." "You wound me. Must I always have an ulterior reason for everything I do? Perhaps I just wanted to visit?" Lum quickly stood up, "Perhaps I just want to tear that Moroboshi's head off with my bare hands. You just wait until I find him and his people. I'll turn his shiny blue planet red with their blood." "A trifled miffed, are we?" "They tried to use me, Ten. They were messing with my mind, to get me not to invade them." "Those fiends! And such flimsy motivation, too. So you would like to slaughter the whole race, then? I'm sure you could get Rei to help you. He likes that sort of thing, you know." Lum stood in a brief stunned silence. She picked up a pillow and threw it hard at Jariten. "I hate you, Ten!" Ten moved out of the way. The pillow bounced off the opposite wall and followed an odd trajectory back due to the sudden shift of gravities. Lum continued,"You spoiled a marvelous righteous rage! But what am I supposed to do? I've been violated, mentally raped." "You liked it better when this Moroboshi was just a figment of your subconscious?" "It was easier. I suppose I did want him to be real, but not like this. I had hoped that maybe some powerful force of love was connecting us, if he existed at all." "That's sweet," Ten said and started a slow vertical spin, "What makes that so impossible now?" Lum sat down again, "Oh come on, Ten. It was a sub-space transmission." "Love can't work through sub-space transmissions?" "Of course not!" Ten jumped out of the zero gravity field, and made his way to the door. "That's what your head says, but now that you know he exists, what does your heart say?" With that, he left, leaving Lum totally lost in her emotions. That night, as Lum made ready for bed, she wondered about Ataru, and what he was really like. She wondered, too, what it would be like to have a night where she didn't dream about him. A sub-space jamming field was in place around her quarters. There would be no transmissions this night. The people she knew in her dreams didn't seem to have the technology to implant dreams in someone's mind at stellar distances. Of course, that could be a trick. The only mention of invasion though, was in the very first dream. Lum thought nothing of that, because the concept of her coming to invade a planet was certainly not a foreign one. The race concept was a bit different. Lum had liked the idea at the time. A race to determine whether or not the planet got invaded. It was an idea with some merit. Lum chuckled to herself as she climbed into her null-gravity field. From experience, she quickly adjusted to the sense of free fall, and stretched out. It was a marvelous device, her high-tech bed. A light force field enclosed a 200x150x200cm space. Within this force field, gravity was nullified. The space was also heated to near body temperature so that no blankets were required. The force field, apart from keeping the air in, kept noise out and provided some resistance to prevent the occupant from just floating out of the field and suddenly into a full gravity area. Though one could easily push themselves out if that was their intention. Nightmares could be hazardous, but on the whole it was difficult to accidentally float out of bed. The one last feature was a security one. One could not climb into the occupied field without applying a great deal of energy, or without permission. Lum was quite safe from a nighttime assassination attempt. However, when it came down to it, Lum simply preferred the comfort of sleeping in free fall. Expecting to have no dreams that night, for the first time in months, Lum quickly dozed off, but the dreams still came. This was the oddest one yet. It began simply with a class movie project, but after that, strange things began to happen. Spirits floated through the air, a great tree disintegrated before their eyes. Lum felt like a foreigner, an enemy, an invader. She began to lose her powers, and people were forgetting her. A lake formed from nowhere. Mendo had a dream that spilled into reality. Many strange images appeared for no reason. Then the worst of all, the war. All her friends were fighting against each other. She wasn't the cause of it, but it was still horrible. The whole city was destroyed, but her Darling. . . her Darling went jogging. She awoke the next morning confused and not very rested. She wondered what it all meant. She could only guess that the sub-space jamming was only distorting the transmission, not blocking it. She could not get the bloodshed out of her head, though she had seen numerous battles, this was different. Tomobiki was her home. Strangest of all, though, and most difficult to clear from her head, was the image of her Darling jogging in the midst of all of it. She tried to shake it out of her head. Ran would be here soon, and she had to be able to convince her that the dreams had stopped. * * * Ataru Moroboshi went to bed with the possibility that Lum might be dead on his mind. He had seen her stabbed through the heart. It was surely a death blow, but if she was only a dream, then that wouldn't make any difference. It wouldn't make any difference if she was a demon either he added, thinking of what Cherry had said. 'Well, she did look like one,' he thought, remembering the horns and the fangs. Actually, Ataru liked her horns. They were small and sort of cute. The fangs, he thought, he could do without, though. She was certainly also so devoted. Ataru was the only thing in her life. He was what she lived for. He didn't quite understand her reasons, but he did like the attention. He thought again that she might be dead, and although she was only a person in his dreams, the more he thought about his dreams being empty of Lum forever, the more he wanted to cry. Soon he had sobbed himself to sleep in remorse for his loss. Then he began to dream again, and there was Lum dressed as a beautiful goddess for a school movie project, but then she was gone again. She disappeared and he had trouble remembering her. Then came the war. It was such a crazy thing. He didn't want the noise of the battle to make him forget Lum further, so he went jogging. He went jogging in the outfit he wore when he first caught Lum. He though constantly about her as he ran, and then the war was over and there she was. He awoke as they embraced, and his tears were of a different type than when he fell asleep. She wasn't dead. This was the thought that rang in his head all that morning. She wasn't dead. He hadn't lost her. He was filled with a wholesome joy that comes from sharing in a friend's good fortune. It was quite different from the lecherous joy that he usually felt. Even his mother, who was usually very sparing with compliments for her son, noticed the change in him. She commented on what a fine young man he looked that morning. "The demon must have left you," she said. "The wards worked. You should trust Cherry more." "Yes, mother," Ataru agreed, not wanting to say anything that would spoil his feeling. This would mean that Cherry would not be staying in his room this night. There were so many things to be happy about. It was in that condition that his friends found him as they made their way to school. Megane studied Ataru carefully as he strode proudly and confidently toward school. "I take it from you joyous demeanor that Lum is not dead," Megane stated while pushing his glasses up. "Yep," Ataru said brightly, "she is still alive." Megane nodded, "Uh hmm." The other four smiled at each other. Megane gathered them in a circle as Ataru continued on. "Gentlemen," he said loudly so that Ataru could hear, "I think there is only one conclusion that we can draw from this." Ataru stopped cold. He didn't like the sound of it. "What's that?" Chibi asked. Pama and Kakugari exchanged looks. "Surely, you can see it," Megane continued. "When before have you seen Ataru this happy in the morning?" "Or at any time," Kakugari added. "Except when he's eating," Pama finished. "Precisely," Megane said. Ataru was listening closely. "There is only one thing that would provide that much happiness for a man this early in the morning." "You don't mean. . ." Chibi asked. "I do mean. Ataru has finally had his way with Lum." "Or she had her way with him," Pama corrected. At this all four started laughing. Megane walked over to Ataru and draped an arm around his shoulder. Ataru's elation was destroyed. Now he was building with anger. "My friend, I must congratulate you." Megane began. "Dream or no, we have all longed for the day when this would happen to each of us, and you were the first. I salute you!" Megane pulled back and saluted sharply. The other three pulled up beside him, and also saluted. "You are an inspiration to us all." Ataru could take no more. "I didn't sleep with her!" he shouted at the top of his lungs just as one of his mother's friends walked by. "I didn't sleep with her," he said again, much quieter. "Oh really?" asked Megane moving next to Ataru. "And your mood this morning was just a reaction to a sunny day?" The day was overcast. "No." "Well then. . ." "I was just happy to find out that she was still alive." Everyone just stared at him in silence. Megane cleared his throat. "Ataru, my lad," he said quietly, "You're not developing a conscience on us? Or worse, scruples?" "It can't be true!" Pama shouted nearly in tears. "What has that woman done to him?" Kakugari exclaimed. "He was our idol," added Chibi. "Yes, I'm afraid it is true," Megane proclaimed, "Ataru is more concerned with a woman's welfare than his lust for her." "Go away!" Ataru shouted. "Come gentlemen," said Megane, "Let us leave this tortured soul, and hope that he repents." With that they all left. It was then that Shinobu came up and asked, "What was that all about?" "Oh," said Ataru, "they were accusing me of sleeping with Lum last night." Ataru heard Shinobu gasp, and he realized that he had just said the very worst thing imaginable. Shinobu slapped him hard across the face and ran off crying. "But I didn't!" he called after her. She was already too far away. "Aw hell," he said. He put his hands in his pockets, kicked a stone and resumed walking to school. Albeit at a slower, less enthusiastic pace. It was going to be another one of those days. * * * Lum reclined restfully, listening to music. It was her policy before any invasion to take a couple days off. The invasion was now only four days away. The day before the invasion would be the day to make final preparations, and last minute drills. These two days, however, were for rest. The entire fleet was on minimum duty watch. Too much drilling made for low morale and tired soldiers. There was no reason to rush. Earth had no idea of their approach and there was really nothing they could do about it if they did. If last minute preparation took two days, then it took two days. Lum only wished that she could relax and clear her mind. She thought about Ataru's planet. She wondered where it was. She imagined it in a colorful nebula, with shimmering crystalline asteroids orbiting it. It had to be beautiful. The thought that it might be Earth, the planet that they were about to invade, never occurred to her. Like or not, after all the invasions that she had been on, and now commanded, even at her young age, conquest had become routine. Earth was just another planet. It was far too insignificant to be Darling's planet. His planet would have to be something special. After last night's dream, and listening to her heart, Lum had concluded that there was no subversion involved. Her Darling was real, she knew now, and they were cosmically connected. She liked the romanticism of it. Someday she would find him and marry him. Lum's thoughts were interrupted by the door chime. It must be Ran, she thought. "Come," she called, not getting up. The door opened, "Good morning, princess." Lum knew that voice. She turned quickly. It was Oyuki. "Oyuki!" Lum explained,"How did. . . If you're here, then . . ." Oyuki nodded, "Yes, I've been sent to collect you. Your father, the Emperor wishes to speak to you now in the royal suite. Lum was in a dream state as she stood. She was so confused. Her father had come without telling her. And so fast, as well. He had to had come in a small unprotected ship to get here this fast. What was so important? And mother had come as well, Lum thought, or Oyuki wouldn't be here. Oyuki was her Mother's personal servant. She was reserved and always correct. Lum knew it was useless to ask her what was going on, because it would be improper for Oyuki to say anything. She was formal, without being stuffy. It came naturally to her. Lum's mother adored her. Benten called her the Ice Princess, because she was so emotionless. Lum felt Oyuki's silent presence behind her as they made their way down the corridors of the ship towards the reserved royal suite. Lum's own ample quarters were insignificant next to these rooms. There were only two people who could ever use them. Lum wondered why they had come. Lum stopped when she reached the entrance to the royal suite. On top of the wide door was the seal of her family, next to that of the Empire. The sides of the door were ornately decorated with some scroll work and fleur designs. Oyuki silently moved in front of Lum and stood before the motion sensors. The doors opened. "I have brought your daughter as you commanded," she announced. She stepped back and bowed. "Your parents await your presence, mistress." Lum took a deep breath and stepped in. In these types of situations, all this pretense just made her nervous. The suite opened into a large sitting room, filled with expensive furniture and decorations. As she walked in, she immediately noticed the presence of the guard standing just inside the entrance. He was where he was supposed to be, but in Lum's world, it paid to be sharp. What did surprise her was that sitting in seats next to her father and mother were Benten and Jariten. Oyuki silently glided past Lum and went over to stand behind Lum's mother. All were sitting around a large coffee table. Lum's mother and father sat in the grandest chairs. Both were smiling at Lum as she entered. The confusion showed on her face. "Please my daughter, sit," her father said, motioning her to a chair. Lum nodded a greeting to Benten and Jariten and then sat down. She noticed that neither of the two seemed to be overly worried, so she relaxed a little. "I am happy to see you both," she said, "but I don't understand why you came." "Let me explain," her father opened. "First of all, when you talked to me yesterday, we were already en route. I hope that answers some of your questions." "It does, but you never said you were coming." Lum's father smiled, "Being Emperor affords me the luxury of the rudeness of not telling people that I'm coming." "True, but. . ." "But stop asking so many questions and let your father explain, dear," Lum's mother interrupted. "Sorry." "Very good. I am sorry I didn't tell you I was coming, but I didn't want anyone else to know, either. I wanted to catch certain people by surprise. When you rule the Empire, always remember to make sure that people know less about what you are doing than they think they do. The more you surprise them, the harder they will find it to plan coups and power grabs," Lum's father said, and winked at her. "Yes, father," Lum smiled back feeling a little more at ease. 'Keep your enemies guessing' was one of her first lessons. She felt more comfortable in a Teacher-student role, but she knew the Emperor-subject role was coming up. "I told you a lot of what was going on yesterday, so I am going to make this short and save the suspense. Your mother and I are planning to retire in two weeks." Lum felt the air freeze in her lungs. She became uniquely aware of her heart beating. She looked at Benten who smiled back. It was obvious that Benten had been told before she had come in. Jariten, as well. She now knew why they were here. They were the beginnings of her royal staff. Her staff? Two weeks?! The full scope of what she was just told was having trouble sinking in. "The Empire needs strong, young leadership now," her mother continued. "There are just too many things that tie our hands." 'Like not having any sons,' Lum thought. "How about Rei?" Lum asked," I'm not married yet. We could never plan a royal wedding in two weeks." Lum's father smiled broadly. Jariten also let out a brief chuckle. The Emperor said, "No, I suppose not. It will take at least five months to make all the arrangements. During that time, you will be Empress alone. The families won't like it, but no one will challenge you, because of your plans to marry. You'll be able to set up your court before Rei even has a say in the matter." "I'm too young, I'm not ready to be Empress yet!" she protested. "You'll be fine, precious," her mother said. "No one's ever ready to rule an empire," her father began, "I'm still not ready to do it. That's why you get trusted help." "That's what we're for," Benten said proudly. At the sound of Benten's words, Lum's mother shot her a look of worry and hate. She stood. "I protest having this slave as our daughter's advisor! The families will not stand for it." "I'll be able to deal with the families, Mother," Lum said, thinking. "Don't worry. I want Benten with me. Please don't call her a slave." Lum's mother turned hard on her daughter. "I'll call her what I like! Don't back talk your mother! She is a slave, and not worthy of your friendship or your trust. She'll betray you and the Empire!" "Now look here, you royal bitch!" Benten said standing. "Benten!" Lum said, also standing. "Get her out of here!" Lum's mother shouted, her face turning red. Lum's father decided to take a hand in this. "Everyone sit down," he commanded. Everyone did so without question. Turning to his angry wife, he said softly, "Please dear, you promised. It is our daughter's decision. If it is a mistake, she's old enough to make her own." "Did you hear what she called me?!" "Did you hear what you called her? I need you on my side. We're here for Lum, remember?" Lum had also been talking to Benten, and now Benten was standing before the Empress. "Maam," she said penitently, "I'm sorry for what I said. My people have quick tempers. I ask your forgiveness. I should have more respect." "I accept your apology," Lum's mother said pompously, but got jabbed by her husband. Shooting him a hard look, she reluctantly turned back to Benten and said, "And I ask you to accept mine. I will not call you a slave anymore." "Thank you, maam," Benten said. Lum gave her a high sign which was followed by a look similar to the one that Lum's mother gave her father. Benten sat. Jariten jabbed her a couple of times, giving her a wry smile. "Good," Lum's father continued. "Let's be friends again. "Though your mother is right. You will run into a few hot tempers over Benten." "We can handle 'em," Benten said, answering for Lum, and eliciting another look from her mother. "You know that I'll be available for advice at any time," Lum's father said. "As I will," the Empress added. "What will you do?" Lum asked. Lum's mother put her hand on her husband's. "Your father and I are going to try being married for a while. We're going to find someplace nice and out of the way to just be together." "Won't you miss your socials?" "Yes," Lum's mother said hesitantly. Lum could see that there was some compromise here. She continued, "but there will be plenty of those. We just want to be alone for awhile. Ruling an Empire leaves little time for intimacy. You and Rei sometimes won't see each other for days. It'll be hard." "That depends on how you look at it," Jariten whispered to Benten. She tried to hold back a laugh. Trying her hardest to ignore the comment, Lum said, "This is a lot to take, and much sooner than I expected." "We know," her father answered, "but we have confidence in you. There is one other subject. We heard about what has been causing your dreams, and so have a lot of other people. News that you might be compromised is running throughout the families. Did the jamming stop your dreams?" Lum looked directly into her father's eyes, trying to convey a subtle message. "Yes, Father," she said, "I slept peacefully last night." "Oh, thank the spirits," her mother said happily. Lum's father, however, had received the intended message. "That's good," he said calmly. "Hopefully, we'll be able to quiet everyone's nerves about this." Jariten was also able to perceive Lum's message, though Benten missed it. Jariten spoke up. "Is there any word on where the transmission originated from?" "No," Lum said, "The communications people are working on it. They believe it is somewhere ahead of us, but haven't been able to narrow it down anymore than that." "Good. At least that is coming. We will have to pay them a visit, when we discover their location," Lum's father stated. Slapping his hands on his knees he said, "Good. That is all I wanted to say, right now. I'm sure you'll have more questions later. Join me for dinner at point 75. You may go." Lum stood and bowed. "Yes, father," she said and left. "Yes, my Emperor," Jariten and Benten said simultaneously and also left. They met Lum outside. Benten shouted after the doors closed. "Yow! Can you believe it? It's happening now!" "Benten!" Lum admonished, "Quiet! Not out here. This has got to be hush-hush until the announcement, probably next week." "I find it hard to believe that she could keep a secret that long," Jariten said. Benten was about to hit him, when Lum pulled them off to the side, and said quietly, "Meet me in my quarters in two points and we'll begin to make plans. Remember, Benten, quiet." "Yes, my Empress," Benten said, chuckling as she bowed. "Benten!" "See ya in a bit," she said and went off. Lum started to make her way back to her quarters. Her mind was full of thoughts. She wasn't immediately aware that Jariten was quietly following her until she reached her room. Lum was startled when she noticed him. "Jariten! I need some time to myself to sort out my thoughts." "But my dear lady, that is what my job will be, to sort out your thoughts for you." "I need to be alone." "I know. I just have a couple questions before Benten comes." "Okay, come in. But make it quick." They both went inside. Lum sat in her favorite chair while Jariten remained standing. "Well?" "I was curious about your dream last night. The jamming did nothing?" Lum looked at Jariten and shook her head. "Will I have no secrets from you at all?" "No. I don't like secrets, unless they are mine." "I'd love to hear your secrets some day." "But dear cousin, then they wouldn't be secrets." "It is strange," he continued changing the subject, "that a simple sub-space transmission can breach our modern jamming, unfettered." Jariten was reaching for something and Lum knew what it was. "It wasn't totally 'unfettered'. There was some distortion." "Hmm," Jariten said, and leaned back against the wall. "What does your heart say now?" "It says that Moroboshi Ataru has no science to transmit such a signal. It also says that he will be my consort, not Rei." "Does it?" Jariten said, genuinely surprised. "That is better than I hoped. I wonder how your parents, Rei and the families will deal with that news?" "Not very well, but we still don't know where this Moroboshi is, do we? Maybe we won't find out in time. A heart is not much to go on." "Not true! Most times, it is the best thing we have. See you in point two. My Empress," Jariten said, bowing. "I like the way that sounds," he said as he left. She watched him go and found herself also very surprised at what her heart was telling her. After what seemed to be too short a time, Benten showed up at her door, shortly followed by Jariten. Benten looked around her, "When are you going to tell Ran about this? She'll be tickled." "Not until the last minute," Lum said. "She doesn't keep secrets very well. Before we start with anything I have a question for you, Benten." "Oh?" Benten said, sitting down. "Why didn't you tell me about the seven attempts on your life?" "Oh that. Actually, it's eight. Somebody put a bomb under my bed last night." "You obviously are not hurt," Ten said. "No, but I do need a new bed." "But why didn't you tell me?" "Shit, Lum it's our job to help you. We don't need to be adding our problems onto yours. Besides I didn't want you to worry. I thought you might stop seeing me if you thought you were putting my life in danger." "Benten, when my friends are in trouble, I want to know. And if my people are in trouble, I have to know. We have to help each other. What kind of guard are you going to be if you have to fend off people who are trying to kill you? I do have some power, and soon I'll have even more. Jariten, I want you to find out who is ordering the attempts on Benten's life." Jariten leaned back in his chair. "I already know," he said smugly. "See," said Lum. "You know?! Why didn't you say anything?" "You didn't ask." "I hope you will be quicker to volunteer information in the future," Lum said sternly, "Who is it?" "It's the Azu family." "My mother's family?" "That b . . ," Looking at Lum, she swallowed her last word, "She's trying to have me killed?" "Oh no. She's loyal to her husband. If she knows who it is at all, she heard it from him." "My father knows?" "Of course. There's not much that gets by him, I've found." "Everyone is keeping secrets!" Lum said under her breath. "Yes, great isn't it? No, I think he wanted you to handle this. If you can't protect your closest advisors, what kind of leader are you going to be? It's Azu Des who's footing the bill for this. Though he is not alone. There are five families that are conspiring to have Benten killed. You're lucky. I only have the Seq house trying to get me transferred. To a sub-zero outpost, I think." "I'm glad I'm so popular," Benten said, "Well, now that I know who's responsible the rest is easy." "You can't just go and kill Azu Des," Lum said. "Why the hell not? He's been trying to kill me!" "Because," said Jariten, "He's the number two son of the Azu family. It would start a civil war. The Azu's don't like the Redet's to begin with." "Are any of the Seq's conspiring against Benten?" Lum asked. "Yes, there are a couple, but don't worry, Rei is not involved. His only crime, besides being stupid, is that he wants to make ground meat out of me. Not that I haven't given him reason." "Is he trying to get you transferred?" "Personally, no. Rei would rather fight it out honorably. As much as I don't like him, he is a very honorable man. There's not a deceitful bone in his body. An awful way to live." "So I'll be the dishonorable one in our family," Lum said sadly. "Well, you have dishonorable help, at least." "Lum," began Benten, "I know about honor. Politics is not honorable, it can't be to work. You can be fair and just to a point, but you have to do some dirty deals to make it happen. That's the way life is." "An awful way to live. But my father says the same thing. Benten, you will be my honorable side, and Jariten, you are my political side." "Of course," Jariten said proudly. "Benten, in the case of Azu Des, we need Jariten." Jariten smiled broadly, and rubbed his hands together. "Finally bigger fish than Rei. What do you need?" "Get him to stop trying to kill me!" "Consider it done. Azu Des is currently on Trefalon, I got some people there. How do you want him cooked; rare, medium or," drawing his finger across his throat, "well done?" "What do you mean, you have people there?" Lum asked, very surprised at the new Jariten she was discovering. She was beginning to get an inkling of how powerful he really was, and how useful he'd be. "I have contacts and operatives all over the Empire. Most of them don't know it, but they are. You don't think I've been pulling all those gags on Rei by myself, do you? I'm not that fit. I have a good network working in this fleet. Very little happens that I don't know about. By the way, Benten, your weapons on your fighter will overload the next time you use them." Benten stood. "They tampered with my bike!" she shouted, referring to her fighter. "It wouldn't be the first time. They just haven't found anyone advanced enough to sabotage it right. They had to pay quite a bit to get this guy. You know, that thin old guy who hangs around the cooler whistling at the girls." "That's him?!" Benten said, angrily clenching her fists. Jariten nodded. "Him I want to kill!" "You say he's good enough to understand Benten's fighter?" Lum asked. "Better, probably." "Watch it!" "Can you get him for me?" Lum asked. "Of course." "What!?" "I want someone that good on my payroll." "He tried to kill me!" Benten was really getting steamed. "No, Azu Des tried to kill you. We'll take care of him." Turning to Jariten, Lum said, "Jariten, I don't want Azu killed. I do want him and his conspirators convinced that further threats against Benten are seriously against their self-interests." "Killing them would be easier, but I can do it. I'll need some grease." "Some what?" Lum asked, her confidence at her cool maneuvering suddenly shattered. "Money. Grease is a slang term, I got carried away. Something to smooth the machinations as it were." "Grease, huh. Okay. Give me a yearly expected operating budget tomorrow, and open an account in a bank of your choice. I'll see that some money is deposited there." "A budget? What a concept," Jariten said standing. "Lum, I must say that I am impressed. You've been hiding your political talents." "Thank you. My father has been teaching me for a while, but I'm still not him." "Who says you're supposed to be? I best get to work. Benten, dear," he said to the still fuming Benten who was barely holding her anger, "I'll be sure to give you all the juicy details." "At least that will be some consolation," Benten growled. "Good bye, Jariten. Bring a budget tomorrow." "My Empress," Jariten chuckled and bowed out. Lum turned to Benten. Benten's fists were clenched and she was staring hard at the ground. "A little upset?" Lum asked. At this Benten shot up, "Damn right, I'm upset. I fight my own battles. I don't need that weasel to do it for me." "Benten," Lum said firmly, "I don't have weasels, bitches or slaves working with me." "Well damn it, I'm sorry, but I have to do something. I'm a doer, Lum. Someone has messed with my bike, and now you're going to hire him!" "Benten you know I sympathize with you, but you're not an assassin, you're a warrior. You fight in the open. This is a family thing, it has to be in secret. I want you to handle the Empire's relations with the slave planets." "I thought there were no slaves," she said coyly. "You know what I mean. I want you to overtly and possibly militarily watchdog the families to get rid of the abuses." Benten shook her head. "No Lum. You don't understand. No slave planets," Benten said softly. "You mean dissolve the Empire?" "No, dissolve the families. Keep the Empire, but make the planets partners, not slaves. No more domination. Some of those families, like the Azu's are raping their planets. The people are destitute. The families don't care. You know my planet is an Azu planet. My planet is dying. The Azu's poisoned the oceans with their waste. The oceans are dead. There's no algae, no oxygen being produced. The ground's so polluted that we can barely grow any food. I want the damn Azu family off my planet. Keep the Empire. Uruseian technology and money can still save my planet, but not with the Azu's there." Lum looked at Benten for a long time, debating at what she should do. Benten spoke again. "Remember what we talked about. Let's string them all up. You can do it, you're the Empress." "Not yet, Benten. And I won't have that kind of power. I'm not a savior. The Azu's are powerful. They control a large section of the military. Nearly as large as mine," Lum said the word 'mine' again. It was her army now, or would be soon. "We'll need to work through channels, slowly. I'll give you the power to put pressure on the Azu's, but I don't have the power to get them off your planet, or any other. The system of families has been entrenched for five thousand years. One Empress can't rewrite five thousand years." Benten sighed and stood. She was about to say something, but then turned to go. Her obvious disappointment hurt Lum deeply. "I'm so sorry Benten. It's the world we live in." Benten stopped at the door. "I know. I'll take what you give me." With that she left. Lum sat and stared at the door. Dissolve the families? Lum couldn't even conceive of it. Two weeks, she thought. In two weeks, She'd be the Empress. Her thoughts then moved to her Darling. She wanted to feel his arms around her right now. She wanted his kiss that would take her away from all her responsibilities. It was the middle of the day, but she wanted to go to sleep and escape to him, but she wasn't tired. She stared at her null-gravity platform for a long time and then got up, leaving to go and walk around the deck for awhile. * * * Ataru finished his lunch quickly, before anyone would have the chance to disturb him, and then he went to look for Shinobu. This was going to be a hard conversation, but he had to somehow cure Shinobu's jealousy of Lum. It was hard on them both. He found her with a group of her friends chatting about something. When Shinobu's friends saw Ataru coming, they broke off the conversation and left. Shinobu turned to Ataru. She waited for him to speak. "I didn't sleep with Lum," he began. "I know," Shinobu said, her head lowered, "I heard the boys talking. I'm sorry I hit you." She absently played with her fingers while she talked. She was obviously anxious about something. Ataru put his hands on her shoulders. "She's only a dream, Shinobu. You're real. I can't marry her. We'll never have children together. It has to be you." "I don't know. It's like you're living another life in your dreams. It's like you could marry her, and you could have a family with her. I think you love her more than me." "Shinobu . . ." She pulled away from him. "No Ataru, maybe another girl can share you, but I can't. I can't be your girl anymore." Shinobu was nearly in tears. "Shinobu, she's a dream. Someday soon, she'll go away." "If she does, then she does, and maybe we'll be able to pick up the pieces, but now. . . I'm not your girl anymore, Lum is. Everyone knows that except you," she brushed a tear away. "Goodbye, Ataru. I loved you." With that she couldn't hold the tears in anymore and ran off, leaving Ataru standing alone. He was looking down at where she had been standing. "It's over," he said. "I belong to the dream now." Suddenly he thought about Cherry's demon. Maybe she was a demon out to destroy his life. The dreams made him unique. He couldn't fit in with his friends anymore. He had lost his girl. His mother thought he was possessed. The real world held nothing for him. All his hope was with Lum. Cherry had said that if he ever kissed her then he would belong to her. Right now, he wanted to kiss her. Mendo watched Ataru standing out near the wall of the school courtyard. He had seen what had happened with Shinobu. He guessed what they were talking about. Mendo understood being lost in one's imagination. He envied Ataru. He envied how real Ataru was able to make his dreams. Mendo wanted a dream girl like Lum to haunt his dreams. At least, he had the consolation that Ataru had made him rich in the dreams. Somewhere, in some reality, he thought, he was rich. Perhaps that was enough. Mendo watched Ataru turn and begin to make his way back to the school. Ataru noticed Mendo watching him. They stared at each other for a long time, carrying out some silent ethereal conversation. Mendo walked up to Ataru. "Welcome to my world," he said. They entered the school together. * * * Lum spent the rest of the day in a daze of thoughts and plans. She was overwhelmed. She had dinner with her father. It was a teacher-student relationship. He told her many things about the Empire. She asked him about how the Azu's treated their planets, and he told her the grim truth. She asked about some of the other abusers. The information shocked her. Her father, himself, controlled seventy planets. They were some of the wealthier ones, including Urusei itself. The ruling family always controlled Urusei. Her family gave a lot of freedom to their subjects. The subjects were largely allowed to run their own affairs and industries. Tribute was made to the Redet family, but much of it was put back into the planet in the form of public projects. They had very few riots. Lum had always assumed that other families used similar systems, maybe a little more authoritarian, but within an acceptable range. Now she realized how naive she had been. They talked about other things and governmental budget concerns, but the treatment of the slave planets bothered Lum. She thought about Benten's dying world and it made her ill. She could do something about that. Benten could put pressure on the Azu's to clean up the pollution and treat their people better. If Benten couldn't, then Jariten could. Lum would see that these people didn't suffer any more. Then she thought, 'A slave no matter how well treated is still a slave.' The next day she received a budget from Jariten. It was quite high, as far as Lum was concerned. They haggled it down to half. Jariten gave Benten a list of the sabotage that was done to her fighter. She was reluctantly impressed. The work was done in such a way that she would have never have found the changes on her own. She decided that she would have to get to know this mechanic. Lum's father and mother left that day with hugs and kisses. There was a couple last words of advice, and then: "We'll make the announcement next week as soon as you get back," Lum's father said. "Get back? I won't be going to the next system, then?" "You already have the plans set to take Earth, but when you've taken it, turn around. I have another fleet coming to replace you." "What should I tell the families? They'll be suspicious." The Emperor smiled, "Tell them the Emperor commands it, and then let them wonder." "Yes, father." "Don't worry, my precious darling. The universe is in your hands. You can do it. The day before we make the announcement I'll tell Rei's father. Rei can find out the news from his father." "Yes, I wasn't going to tell him." "Good, you're learning." After another hug, they boarded their shuttle and were off. Lum watched it disappear into warp and breathed a heavy sigh. That night Lum secretly disabled the sub-space jamming system so her dreams wouldn't be distorted anymore. She wanted Ataru to kiss her so badly. They would get so close sometimes and then something would come up. There was still no exact location of Ataru's planet. The communications experts were narrowing it down. It seemed to be fairly local, within twenty light years. That narrowed it down to ten planets, at least. None of which had colorful nebulas and crystalline asteroids, but Lum had her hopes. Soon she would meet him face to face. * * * Finally, the day of the attack came. They were ready on time. The fleet flew past one orbit after another and finally settled into an orbit of the third planet. Lum looked at it from the observations deck. The large window allowed her a nearly unobstructed view of the shiny blue world. She loved the look of water planets. She liked the way the wispy white clouds blended with the deep blue water. It was all very pretty. A point of light shot by her view and then continued down to the planet. It was followed by several others. The invasion of Earth had begun. She wasn't going on this one. There was no need. Everything was all planned out. It was a primitive planet. As long as everyone followed orders, the take-over would be easy. Jariten walked up beside her. "Another slave planet for the Empire," he said. "Yes," she answered. "Who are you going to give this one to?" "Efuan." "Good choice. They're a good family. At least the people will still have some freedom." "Yeah," she said absently. After a moment she said, "You're an Uruseian, Ten. Do you think I should give the slave planets their freedom?" "That's a tall order. What does your heart say?" Lum was about to open her mouth to answer when a communications officer rushed into the room. "Mistress," he said and knelt before her. "What is it?" she asked. "We found the source of the transmissions." "You did!" Lum said, becoming very excited. "Where?!" "Here. It came from Earth." Lum quickly turned back to the planet that shone before her. She was in shock. Pointing, the officer continued. "See that small island, near the largest land mass. It came from there. We can give you the exact coordinates." "Call the forces back, and get my shuttle ready," she said quickly. "Mistress," the officer began, "the battle has already begun." She turned on the officer, "Dammit, this is my fleet! I said call them back and get my shuttle! Now! * * * Ataru was making his daily walk to school when he heard a loud roar. He instinctively thought it was a jet, maybe an American fighter. He looked up, but saw nothing built on Earth. Several spacecraft sped through the skies. They dove down and began strafing the ground. Explosions were happening all around him. Like many other people all over the world, Ataru Moroboshi stood dumbfounded, unable to believe what he was seeing. Suddenly, there was an explosion near him that shook him out of his stupor. He saw the transports starting to come down and dove for a hiding place. He sat in a small cavity in the rubble of a destroyed home, waiting. It was dark where he was. He had put up a large piece of plaster board in front of him, which left only a small peephole to see out of. He vainly hoped that this would make him safe. Ataru trembled as he listened to his world blow up outside. 'This made it complete,' he thought. 'First my friends, then my parents, my girl, and now the world.' The entirety of reality was being destroyed as far as he was concerned. Now the dreams would be all that were left. It was with this in mind that he heard a familiar voice, "Darling!" it called. "Dah - ling!" He listened hard. Was he dreaming? Was this destruction a dream, and the real world still as he left it? "Darling, where are you?!" Lum walked down the damaged streets. Even in its damaged condition, she recognized everything. She knew where she was. She had been here many times before, in her dreams. She made her way to the home of Ataru's parents, continually calling out her lover's name, hoping against hope that he would answer. She reached the house, and was glad to see only minor damage. She had nearly been too late. A bomb had impacted in the yard near a wall. The wall was blown in, but the rest of the house still stood. She went in, familiarity striking her at every turn. "Darling!" she called. Ataru's father met her in the entrance hall, holding a large stick, which obviously was a piece of the house. Lum saw Ataru's mother injured, but breathing, lying under a burnt covering. "Who are you?" Ataru's father asked. Noticing the horns, and her military dress, he said, "You're one of the aliens, the invaders. We did nothing to you! Get out of my house, or I'll kill you!" "Father!" she said out of habit, "It's me, Lum." Ataru's mother opened her eyes. They had both recognized the name. "You're his dream girl," Ataru's mother said weakly, "We're in his dream, now. The demon has possessed us and the whole world. What a worthless boy." She passed out again. "I don't understand any of this!" yelled Ataru's father, "Just get out and leave our world in peace!" Lum saw the hate and fear in his eyes and thought it better to leave. Hate in such a familiar face stung Lum to the heart. Looking around at the devastation, it was as if she had destroyed her own home. "Darling!" she called. "Lum?" came a distantly faint voice. "Darling!" she called again. "Lum," came the voice, now a little stronger. There was a crash of wood. She turned her head and saw Ataru emerge from the rubble of a bombed out house. For the first time, she actually saw him with real eyes. She was bursting with excitement at seeing him alive. "Darling!" she yelled and ran to him. She hoped he wouldn't reject her as his parents did. "Lum, it's you," he said standing. She embraced him, and he slowly put his arms around her. Around them lay the smoking remains of a residential area of Tomobiki. The streets were vacant, except for the one or two bodies which laid motionless, taking no notice of the strange couple who held each other amidst the ruins. They pulled back and looked into each other's eyes. "Am I dreaming now?" Ataru asked. "Does it matter anymore?" she responded. Ataru smiled, and shook his head. They kissed. Alt-Urusei Yatsura Chapter III "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" _________________________________ They had finally kissed and now they both knew that their worlds could never be the same. What a miracle it was, Lum thought. A dream has become reality. But as she looked around at the destruction that she had caused, the destruction of a place that was all too familiar, she wondered whether it was a dream or a nightmare. Looking at Ataru, she wondered if there were any real possibility of expecting his love, once he realized what she had done. For now, he only knew that it was her people who caused this destruction. He didn't know that it was by her direct command. She had to tell him. She wanted him by her side when she took the throne. She wanted him as her emperor and not Rei. For that, he had to know who she was. Even so, she thought, there were so many obstacles in the way. It seemed unimaginable that they could ever surmount them. They sat together now among the ruins. The streets were still empty. The terror had stopped, but the people weren't ready to rush out of their homes just yet. As far as Lum was concerned this was good. She couldn't bear to look at their faces. She was sure that she would recognize them all. Lum and Ataru both remained silent, keeping their confused thoughts to themselves. What does one say to a dream who suddenly comes to life? Ataru looked at Lum sitting next to him. This was not entirely the same Lum that he had encountered in his dreams. The face was the same, but the uniform was entirely different. And there was a tragic sadness to her. The Lum he knew wasn't like that. She would pout now and again, and of course, get very angry, but on the whole she was light- hearted and cheerful. Sadness never touched her face for very long, but this Lum seemed to be used to sadness. She seemed to carry a great weight, and was not free like the Lum he knew. He began to wonder if his dream really had come to life, or was this some kind of farce. Looking around at the destruction, he wondered if there was something far more terrible about this Lum than a temper and lightning bolts. He felt wary, but he was still willing to believe in the dream. Breaking the silence between them he asked, "How much of the dream Lum, are you? I don't remember the uniform." She looked down at her uniform. She had been such a rush to get down there that she hadn't bothered to put on a flight suit. She wasn't in her dress uniform, just the standard issue, but given her rank there was enough gold to let anyone know that she was high up the ladder. She had worn this uniform, or one like it, every day for the past four years and it never bothered her, or impressed her in any way. Now the uniform looked ostentatious and imperial. She didn't feel right in it any more. She looked up at Ataru's face. He patiently waited for an answer. "There's a lot about me that never came up in the dreams," she said. "How much?" he asked and wanted to take it back as soon as he said it. It had come out too strongly. It was improper to be so forward to someone he had just met, but at the same time there was such familiarity with her face. Still it was a very abrupt thing to say. He had to remind himself that this was not the same Lum he had come to know. He was becoming more sure that there was a new person attached to that face. "Quite a bit, I'm afraid," she admitted, but quickly added, "but there was also a lot of me that was in the dreams. All my feelings, and hopes. . . My heart was in the dreams, Darling. It's just that it wasn't in my life." She thought about the last thing that she had said, and what Ten had always asked her. "What does your heart say?" he would ask. She had told him that her heart wasn't much to make decisions with, but in her dreams it was everything. "My heart was in my dreams," she repeated to Ataru with more confidence. "How much of you do I know?" "Pretty much everything," he said. "I'm rather average. It was only in the dreams with you there that made Tomobiki interesting. In reality, it's just another Tokyo neighborhood." "I don't believe that!" Lum said, glad to get a reprieve from divulging more about her life that wasn't in the dreams. "What about Sakura and Cherry and Megane, and Shinobu. There was quite an assortment of characters here." Ataru sighed, remembering again how Shinobu had left him. "They're not as eccentric in real life," he said, but then thought and added, "Except maybe Cherry." He turned to her and caught her eyes. "What do we do now?" It was such a simple question, Lum thought, but at the same time so very difficult. What should they do now? What does one do when a dream comes to life? What does one do while living a life, like Lum's, where even dreams must fit within strictly defined criteria. Lum had to marry Rei and rule the empire. There was no room in her structured life for Ataru. Only her dreams had held any room for him, and even that was being challenged now. "My real life is very complicated," Lum began. "I've wanted you to be a part of it so badly, but you were only a dream. Now . . ." Lum's voice trailed off in indecision. She knew that her life was coming to a head. She had a choice. She could meekly follow the course that had been set for her, or she could rebel. Ataru saw her indecision and smiled. He stood and offered her his hand. She looked up at him questioningly. "I'd rather not sit here in the rubble," Ataru said, "Why don't we go to my house, so I can show my parents that I haven't been crazy." "I don't think that would be a good idea," Lum said quietly. "Oh?" "I've already been to your house. Your parents called me a demon and chased me out." "That's sounds like them," he said smiling, "I'm sure I'll be able to talk them into a better mood." It struck Lum, that there Ataru was, just like he was in the dreams. He wasn't hiding anything. What was wrong with her? "Darling!" Lum said standing, "Don't you realize that I ordered all this destruction. No one here is going to accept me now." Ataru just looked at Lum in astonishment, and confusion. He had seen the invasion as the final crumbling of the real world. The appearance of Lum only confirmed his suspicions that the real world had been taken over by his dream life. It was obvious to him that Lum was the cause of violence, but that she had intended it was a new idea. The idea that maybe Lum was a demon, as Cherry had said, seemed a little more plausible now. How many of the other things that had happened to him, had she ordered, he wondered. "Why?" he asked. "It's what I do, dammit!" Lum was feeling the full brunt of her guilt now. All the planets she had conquered now seemed like Earth to her. She couldn't shut it out anymore. She had invaded her home. She thought of the entire Empire, of all the planets that had been invaded over time. She thought of Benten's world, strangled to death by the Azu's, and it became Earth as well. "I'm an invader! Don't you remember!" she shouted. "That's how it all started! I invade planets. Only this time there won't be any race. We've taken your planet and now we're going to subjugate it's people, steal it's resources and then leave it for dead, all it the name of the Uruseian Empire, and by the command of its future Empress, ME! . . . Damn ME!" Her fists were clenched in terrible anger and guilt. "Damn ME!" she shouted again and ran off down the road. Ataru really had no clue of the internal debate that tore at Lum's soul. All her life she was taught responsibility to the glory of the Empire. She was taught the game of family politics, which she had mastered to a degree. Like anyone in power, she was taught the necessity of preserving the order on which that power rested. She was taught about the five thousand years in which that power had grown. She was taught how to overlook the suffering of the people that she had conquered. Now she watched that system destroy the world she knew as home, a home far dearer to her than Urusei had ever been. Ataru knew about none of this. All he knew was that everything that he had known as real before was gone. The object of his dreams was all that remained in this life, now. She was the only thing left of any value to him. He ran after her. Cherry watched him go. Lum stopped and tried to regain her composure. Tears were streaming down her face, and she cursed herself for acting like a fool. Her training, and aristocratic sensibilities were gaining a winning hand in her subconscious. There, she knew, was order and structure. She held onto its firmness. She only saw chaos the other way. "You there!" she heard someone call. Lum looked up. It was Kakugari. He was dirty and looked slightly injured. Chibi was with him. "What is that? A uniform?" Kakugari asked. As they approached her, Chibi shouted, "She's got green hair!" "And horns," Kakugari finished. "Megane!" "What are you?" Kakugari said when he reached her. Lum wanted to smile, but there was nothing friendly about the demeanor of Kakugari. Face to face, in real life, Lum noticed how large he was, and imposing, almost frighteningly strong. Megane came running up with Pama, but stopped short in surprise. "My word!" He said looking at Lum. "Gentlemen, I believe this is Ataru's dream girl." Everyone stood back, agape. "That's right," Lum said, "I'm Lum." She hoped vainly that recognition would ease the tension she felt. "So," Megane said, circling her. "Dreams come to life. This is most interesting. That's a nice uniform you're wearing. You look very very military." Lum didn't like his tone of voice. "Do you really think this is Ataru's dream girlfriend," Pama asked. "She's beautiful," Chibi said. "Oh yes," Megane agreed, "she's beautiful, and seductive as well, I'll bet." "What do you mean?" Lum asked. "It's quite simple," Megane responded. "You see, I'm not as easily fooled as Ataru. Your seductive powers will not work on me." "What?!" "What are you saying, Megane?" Kakugari asked. "She's a dream come to life." "Look around you gentlemen. This is no dream. It's a nightmare, and here is the angel of destruction." Megane was face to face with Lum, bearing down on her. She found that she was involuntarily backing away. "Are you saying that she's some kind of monster, who tricked Ataru in his dreams," Pama asked. "Or, he has willingly betrayed his people to this invader. In either case, she's a deadly enemy, and we are at war." Lum looked on the faces on people she had once counted as friends. Megane was right. This was a horrid nightmare. There was violence in their eyes as they closed in on her. She came to the planet in such a rush that she was unprepared for confrontations. She had brought no weapon, and although she was a well-trained hand-to-hand fighter, she did not believe that she could take all four of them. "They were her friends," she thought to herself over and over again as she continued to back away from their advance, expecting the attack at anytime. "What are you idiots doing?!" came Ataru's voice. "Darling!" she yelled and ran to him. She had never run to anyone for protection before, except her father, but this seemed natural to her. Ataru stood proudly in front of her. "What do you idiots think you're doing?" he asked again. "You and your dreams have betrayed us to this invader!" Pama shouted. "What's wrong with you? A couple days ago you were hoping that she had kissed one of you." "That's before we knew that it was a kiss of death," Megane began. "Look around you. Doesn't the timing of her arrival make it plain to you that she caused all this. She was using you to learn about this planet so that she could invade it. Now she is using you again to gain acceptance on this planet. It's so obvious that even you could figure it out." Ataru had to admit that it did make a lot of sense. He looked at Lum. She looked back at him as if she was waiting for a decision. He was about to speak, when a fighter roared overhead. It was followed by several more. Everyone ran for cover expecting another attack. Lum took cover too, as a precaution. She recognized the fighters. The first was Benten's. The one's later were Rei and his squadron. She should have known that they would come down after her, sooner or later. She watched them bank around in the distance and then come to a hover shortly down the road. They landed, and she saw Benten leaping out of her fighter almost before the ship came to a rest. She could feel her anger even from a distance. Lum emerged from her shelter, and met Benten halfway. "What the hell did you think you were doing?!" Benten yelled. Her face was red. The words shocked Lum. At that moment, she realized that she hadn't been speaking Uruseian since she came down to the planet. She had been speaking the native tongue as if she had been born to it. She hadn't even known. She wondered if Ataru was blessed by a similar understanding of Uruseian speech. "He's here, Benten," she said. Behind Benten, Rei also had left his fighter, and was coming toward them. "Your Darling?" Benten mocked, "Yes, I heard. The whole damn ship heard. They heard that you stopped the invasion and came rushing down here in the middle of a goddamn war. Fuck! Without even a damn weapon, just to find some figment of your imagination." Lum's defenses went up. She wasn't used to being talked to like this. "He's no figment!" she protested, "I found him, and now I'm going to marry him!" At that point Rei had reached them, but stopped short. "Lum?" Benten coughed loudly. "It's obviously been a hard day for you." she said quickly to Lum. "All the pressure of the dreams and such. We'll get you back to the ship, so you can rest." Lum looked on Rei's stunned and hurt face. She had made a major slip. She forgot her anger and decided to play along with Benten. She slumped a bit. "I do feel a little dizzy," she said. She let her knees give way. She knew Rei would catch her, and he did. "We'll finish for you," he said. "No," Lum said quickly, letting Rei hold her up. She had to figure out a way to buy time. Benten jumped in. Speaking to Rei, she said, "I'm going to investigate this area and find out what brought her here. They must have some powerful mind controlling weapon. It could be dangerous attacking the planet until we find out what it is." Rei's furrowed his brows searching desperately for a decision. "Good," he said at last, "but not alone." he snapped his fingers and two of his men stepped forward. Benten looked coldly at them. "That's quite all right," she said. "I work alone." This statement was common knowledge. Very few people were willing to work with her. That was by design. Benten detested most Uruseians. Rei stared at Benten, beginning a contest he knew he could not win, but he was too pig-headed to give up. Something was not right here. Lum let out a moan, and said, "Please, I have to get back to the ship." then she switched to Japanese. "Come to Benten. She'll take care of things. I'll see you when I can. I love you, Darling." Even Benten was surprised by Lum's sudden language change. She guessed that Lum was faking it. With an urgency in her voice, she said, "She's talking gibberish, Rei! You had better get her to the doctor quickly." "Doctor?!" Lum yelped, looking at Benten. "You need to take what's coming to you, or you'll start acting crazy again." Benten said with all the concern and sympathy she could muster. Lum wasn't fooled, but she was in no position to start an argument. "Rei," she said, "take me home." She looked up at him, wide eyed and innocent. It was more than he could take. He gave the order to his squadron to return to their fighters. He picked up Lum, and carried her back to his own fighter. Lum caught Benten's eye as they left and nodded over to where Ataru was hiding. She also mouthed that there were four others around. Benten acknowledged the signal and then began mocking Rei carrying Lum with exaggerated movements. She received the appropriate response from Lum as Rei gently placed her in his fighter. Soon they all flew off. Benten looked at the quiet scene around her. She clapped her hands. "All right, everyone get out here!" Ataru cautiously emerged from his cover. He didn't understand Uruseian, but it was easy to guess what she had said. He was still a little cautious though, aware of how violent Benten could be. However, he was moving too slowly for Benten. "Well, get the hell over here!" she yelled motioning him to come over. He did. Sizing him up, she commented, "Not an incredible specimen, are you?" She looked around to see if anyone else had come out. "Where the hell is the rest of them?!" She took out her weapon and fired at a likely hiding place. The weapon was on a low setting, but small pieces of stone flew off from the wall she shot at, and Chibi made a break for it. Everyone else took their cue and ran. "Aww hell," she said, not knowing if she was supposed to go after them or not. Ataru tried to grab her gun arm to stop her from shooting again. She jerked away and in a reflex act, almost struck him with her weapon. "Don't touch me," she commanded. "I wasn't going to shoot him." "Why aren't you speaking Japanese?" Ataru said in his own language. Lum had come speaking Japanese just as he had expected her to. He assumed that everyone else would as well. Benten was surprised. In the Uruseian empire everyone spoke Uruseian. She was surprised to hear another language. She guessed it was the language that Lum was speaking. How did Lum learn it so quickly, she wondered. She looked at Ataru again. What a mess he was going to cause. Lum wasn't going to want to take this planet now. She would have to explain that. Benten was also going to have to sneak Ataru on the ship, which was going to prove to be a hassle, and probably not a good idea to begin with. And to top it all off, he didn't speak Uruseian. She sighed and pulled out a scanner. Lum's shuttle was a half a kilometer to the north. She went off to it without acknowledging Ataru again. He guessed he was supposed to follow her. So this was Benten, he thought. No chains and a lot more clothes, but she seemed about the same. He had already seen her temper a couple of times, and he had only just met her. What was this strange language she was speaking, he wondered. He wondered also what Lum was doing with Rei. Maybe she loved him in real life. He traipsed after Benten through a couple of the neighbor's yards and soon came to Lum's parked shuttle. There were some curious people looking over it. Benten fired a couple shots in the air. "Get away from there, you bastards! Damn natives." Benten's mood was getting worse and worse the more she thought about the complications that Ataru was going to cause. If Lum didn't have time to help her planet because of him, he would quickly disappear. She had given serious thought to making him disappear now and of telling Lum that he was killed in a fire fight with the locals, but she wasn't ready to hurt her closest friend yet. Satisfied that everyone had cleared out, Benten approached the shuttle and opened it. She went in and programmed the autopilot. After she finished, she saw Ataru quietly standing in the doorway. She stood and pointed to the chair she had been sitting in. "Sit!" she said. At least she wouldn't have to fly with him. He meekly came in and sat where she indicated. "Stay!" she said as she left and closed the door. She went back to her fighter. She would control the shuttle from there. Ataru looked around the shuttle in amazement. He had flown in many space ships in his dreams, but this was real. He realized that soon he would be in space. It was all too amazing. Lights blinked silently on the console, following some unknown plan. Suddenly the door opened. Cherry was standing there, with Shinobu. "Well, well," he said. "You've kissed the demon and now you're leaving with her. Not surprising." "Ataru, how could you betray your planet like this?" Shinobu pleaded. Ataru sighed. "It couldn't be easy, could it?" he thought. "I'm not betraying anything," he said sharply. I'm just leaving. It's been made perfectly clear that I'm not wanted here." He directed the last statement at Shinobu, who lowered her head. Cherry entered the ship, and sat next to Ataru. "Don't you realize the horrible things they'll do to you up there?" "It can't be any more horrible than what happens to me here! I'm sure the ship will be leaving soon. You had better leave." Shinobu was about to protest, but in answer to Ataru, the door swung closed; pushing her in. The engine hummed to life. Benten's fighter screamed overhead, and the shuttle dutifully lifted up to follow it. Shinobu turned in panic and began banging on the door. "Now see what you've done," Cherry said accusingly. "You've delivered you girlfriend as well to the clutches of that demon." "I didn't deliver anyone!" Ataru shouted. "You brought her here. I didn't ask either of you to come." "What's going to happen to us?" Shinobu asked in panic. The view outside began to darken at they left the atmosphere. The engines of Benten's fighter glowed up ahead like some guiding lantern. "We will be experimented on, and probably dissected alive to satisfy their alien curiosity," Cherry explained. Shinobu fainted. "We are not going to be dissected!" Ataru protested. "At least I'm not. I hope someone will dissect you, though." "We shall see, " Cherry said confidently. "Look!" he said pointing to the quickly approaching fleet. "This is the menacing power that you have brought upon us. Terror from the skies all for the sake of an demon's kiss." Ataru stared at the huge ships of this small part of the Uruseian fleet. He still didn't believe Cherry's warnings of doom. At this point the nightmare that Cherry might be right was thoroughly muted by the reality of being trapped in such a small enclosed space with the annoying monk. Ataru began to consider leaving the shuttle for a certain death in the spatial vacuum. The Uruseian ships didn't look menacing to him. They looked like a welcome relief of open space to be away from Cherry. He hoped that he could convince Lum to send Cherry back down quickly. Shinobu began to get up. Ataru looked down at her, and went to help. He looked back up at the lead Uruseian battle ship, which now filled the screen. What was he flying headlong into, he wondered. Maybe a little of Cherry's caution wouldn't be too bad a thing. He had to be careful not to forget that Lum had ordered the attack. He must not forget the possibility that Megane was right, and that Lum was using him to get Earth. He didn't want to believe any of it, but wasn't it wise to at least consider the possibility. The shuttle banked and followed Benten's fighter into a bay on the side of the ship. Benten landed her fighter and watched the shuttle quietly come to a landing next to it. She saw two bay crew personnel coming to help with the shuttle. She had to think of something quickly. Benten leaped out of the fighter, and met them halfway. "Where the hell do you think you two are going?!" "We know your fighter is off-limits, but the shuttle has to be re-prepped," one of them said condescendingly. She detected a bit of racism in his voice. Well, as least she wouldn't have to fake her anger. "You had better watch your attitude. I got my fighter scratched out there and I don't need any of your goddamn lip!" "Yes, maam," the attendant said, getting a little nervous. The other, wiser, attendant was tugging at the first one's shoulder. "We can prep it later," she said. "Yeah, take this idiot out so I don't have to beat him senseless. My bike's been scratched. I'm going to need some time alone." The second attendant was already making her way back. "Come on. We're missing the game." "Yeah, the game! Well if you want to be alone, I can understand, " he said and quickly left. "I hate Uruseians," Benten muttered and went to the shuttle. She made another check to see if the bay was clear. It was. She checked the monitor camera to make sure it was safely blocked by her fighter. Satisfied that they were unobserved, Benten opened the shuttle. Cherry stood in the air lock. "Who the hell are you?!" she asked in astonishment. "Be gone, demon," Cherry said and made a mystic sign. Benten uttered a curse and yanked Cherry out of the shuttle. Then she saw Shinobu quivering next to Ataru. Benten looked accusingly at Ataru, who shrugged. "You thought you'd invite some friends! Just wait until you learn Uruseian. I'm going to have some choice words for you." She roughly motioned for Ataru and Shinobu to leave the shuttle. They did. When Benten turned, she saw Cherry pawing her "bike". This was the last straw. She pulled her gun, but Ataru blocked her and moved Cherry away from the fighter. "You're going to get us killed," he told Cherry. "You admit we are in danger," Cherry answered, "Don't worry death is inevitable. This fact makes us strong." "Will you get moving," Benten called. Ataru looked over and saw Benten making her way toward a door. She was glancing nervously back and forth, and frantically waving for them to come. Ataru grabbed Shinobu's hand and they went to Benten. He was glad to see that Cherry also came. They went through the door and entered a short hall with five doors. Benten went to the middle one and stopped to see if everyone else was coming. They went in. It was Benten's quarters. They were much smaller than Lum's and extremely messy. There were clothes everywhere, and a half built fuel pump sat in a greasy mess on a table. There was also a bit of a stench. Benten was going around furiously picking up clothes and checking for bombs. She cleared some chairs and motioned for them to sit. Then she left. Shinobu looked around herself in disgust. "I used to believe that your room was a mess, Ataru." "Benten's not what one would call cultured," Ataru explained. "You know her?" Shinobu asked. "How many girls were you seeing in your dreams?" "There were quite a few," Ataru admitted, "but Benten wasn't chasing me like Lum was." "That's a relief." "We must figure out how to escape," Cherry said going to the door. "Benten has a short fuse, Cherry, and you've already started it burning. You had better stay put." "I agree with Ataru," Shinobu said, "Don't make her any angrier." "It's locked," Cherry said. He went back to his seat. "Every second we're in their clutches puts us and the Earth in more danger. We must escape and sabotage the fleet, so they can't attack us again." "Sabotage the fleet?!" Ataru stood and yelled. "You idiot! You can't even open the door. I'm planning to stay, and I'm not going to sabotage anything. Just then the door opened. Benten entered the room with some type of electronic headset. She started to put it on Ataru's head, but Cherry jumped up to stop her. Benten's gun came out quickly. She uttered some words that sounded pretty nasty, and her eyes showed how little it would take to get her to pull the trigger. Cherry reluctantly sat down. Benten finished her work, and took seven small disks out of her pocket. She studied each of the them, laughing at one, and then took a different one and inserted it into the headset. "What is she doing?" Shinobu asked. "Probably, getting ready to erase his brain, not that it will have much effect on him," Cherry said. Ataru was about to answer when Benten flicked a switch on the side of the device. Ataru's mouth seized up and searing pain shot through his brain. The terrible thought that his brain was being erased, filled him. Then with a flick of a switch the pain stopped, though he still had a headache. "Now do you understand me?" Benten asked. Ataru did. Amazement washed through his face. "The Ataru we knew has been wiped away forever," Cherry said. Shinobu buried her face in her hands and began to weep. "What the hell's the matter with her?" Benten asked. "They think you erased my brain," Ataru said, surprised at the sounds he was making. In a matter of seconds he had been made fluent in an alien language. "Damn," Benten said taking the headset off Ataru. "I knew I shouldn't have done it. Now you sound like one of those fucking aristocrats." "What do you mean?" "All of these disks contain the Uruseian language, but they have different accents. I thought I'd give you an Uruseian aristocratic accent so that you might be accepted easier." "You have a West Quadrant accent, don't you?" he asked. "Yes," she said with a hint of annoyance. "How do I know that?" "The device writes the language to your brain. The disk is a recording of the neural pathways of a native speaker. Naturally, you get a little of their knowledge along with the language. There is more to a language than just words and meanings. There's also a little culture. Now, enough of the lesson, who the hell are these two?" "They came on the ship after you left. They were trying to convince me to stay, and then the shuttle took off." Benten fell roughly into her seat. "You were bad enough. What are we going to do with them?" A buzzer sounded at the door. Benten cursed, and yelled, "Who is it?" "It's me, Ten." Benten pushed a button. "Come." "Ten?" Ataru repeated. "Jariten?" Ten came through the door. Ataru was greatly surprised by what he saw. He was actually expecting to see a small child, not this squat man. Ten looked at Ataru and smiled. "So you're the dream boy. Nice to meet you." He offered his hand. Ataru shook it. "Ataru," Shinobu asked, "Who is this? How are you speaking their language?" Ataru was still amazed at how large Jariten was. He said to Shinobu, "This is Jariten, Lum's cousin. He's supposed to be a lot smaller. The machine taught me the language. It hurts some, but it works." "And I'm sure it brainwashes you at the same time," Cherry offered. "Shinobu, we are better off with our ignorance." "Don't worry Shinobu, I'll see if they'll take you back to Earth," Ataru said. "I thought you would just bring up Ataru," Jariten asked. Benten groaned. "That's what I thought too, but these two decided to stow away!" "Could you take them back?" Ataru suggested. "I'd like to," Benten said. "It would be difficult," Jariten explained. "We'd have to come up with some excuse to go back down to the surface." "We're already flying on half thrusters," Benten observed. "Where's Lum?" "They took her straight to the doctor," Ten said, "Her mad rush down to the planet is going to be hard to explain. Everyone knows that the dreams were traced to this world, and also that it was that knowledge which caused Lum to stop the war, but they don't know if she found Ataru or not." "She left without me," Ataru observed. "Exactly, so they'll think that you are still down there." "If I were Rei," Benten observed, "I'd obliterate the entire island to make sure that Ataru was destroyed, especially after what Lum said." "What did she say?" Ten asked. "She blurted out before everyone that she was going to marry Ataru." "Great." "Destroy the whole island? Just to get me, but . . ." "Rei's not much for finesse, and Uruseian's don't give much value to slaves, like you and me." "But all those people, my parents. . . What do you mean slaves?" "Lum hasn't told you anything, has she?" Benten asked. "We didn't have much time," Ataru admitted. "You've spent the last six months with her," Jariten said. "The dreams? Nothing like this was ever in the dreams. Lum lived on Earth and no one from Urusei ever came to attack it. There was nothing about slaves." "There was nothing about the Uruseian empire or Lum's position in it?" "No, not really. Her parents seemed important, but nothing was directly said about who they were. We really didn't worry about it." "Interesting," Jariten commented. "Ataru," Shinobu broke in, "I'm frightened. I want to understand what's going on." "So do I," Ataru admitted. Benten dropped down on her bed. Jariten looked for a place to sit, but saw that everything was too dirty. "You haven't cleaned up from the bomb yet, eh?" "I don't need that, now!" Benten said sharply. Jariten shrugged, and remained standing. "Whatever. Lum's going to want us to educate him." "I know. I know." "How about my home?" Ataru asked. "We can't let Rei blow it up." "I don't see where we have much choice," Benten said, "Besides it will buy us some time." "Lum's not going to want him to blow it up, either," Jariten observed. Shinobu got up and took the language headset. She started to put it on. "Hey! That thing's nothing to play with," Benten said, rushing to her. "She wants to understand what's going on," Ataru said. Benten looked into Shinobu's eyes. She could see how lost Shinobu was and felt pity for her. "All right, but I'm not going to make her talk like some damn aristocrat too." She tossed that particular disk away, and selected another. "She's going to talk with my accent." Benten smiled at her choice disk and placed it in the device. She went about setting it up for Shinobu. Sitting Shinobu down, Benten shot an icy glare at Cherry to make sure that he didn't get up. "Watch the old man," Benten said to Jariten, "He's been damn annoying the whole trip." "He's like that." Turning to Shinobu, Ataru said, "This is going to hurt, but it will be over soon." "Very accurate choice of words," Cherry added. Benten flicked the switch, and Shinobu's head swing back. She wanted to scream, but found that she couldn't move her mouth. About the time she felt she couldn't bear it any longer, it was over. "How do you feel?" Benten asked. "I understand you," Shinobu said softly. "Yeah, great isn't it." Benten took the headset off and looked at Cherry. She hesitated. "Only so I can swear at him." she said and went to him. He put up his hand. "Tell her that I don't want her machine," he said. "There's nothing wrong with it," Shinobu said. "That's what the machine told you to say." "He doesn't want it," Ataru said, wondering why he let himself get in the middle of this. Benten locked eyes with Cherry and she thought about pulling her gun. Actually, she thought more specifically about vaporizing him, and solving her problem that way, but she didn't feel like having to explain herself to Lum. "Fine!" she said and threw the headset on her bed. "Are you people really from Ataru's dreams?" Shinobu asked, "I'm mean, Ataru you know everyone here already." "Well, sort of," Ataru admitted. Jariten raised an eyebrow, "Sort of?" Ataru looked at Jariten and thought for a moment how he would explain the differences he saw, then he though better of it. "I think I had better not explain." Jariten cocked his head, and studied Ataru's expression "Maybe not," he agreed. He then turned to Shinobu. "Yes, dear lady we've all been the subject of the dreams of these two, and I am glad to say that I have heard your name before, although I must admit that Lum never mentioned how pretty you were." Shinobu blushed. "Stop!" Benten said pounding her fist on the table. "What?" Jariten asked innocently. "Stop it." "I was just being polite, and complimenting a beautiful woman." "I know what you were doing, and we don't have time. I've got to think up something to tell Rei. I told him I was going to search for the source of the dreams on the planet. I can't tell him what I found." "Yes," Jariten said, "we're going to have to do something about Rei, aren't we? We don't want him finding out about Ataru until we're ready and we don't want him destroying several million people just to get him. He needs to be distracted." "He needs more than that, but what do you have in mind?" "Leave that to me," he said, smiling devilishly. "Whatever, and what am I supposed to do with our guests? They're not staying here." "I would like to see Lum again," Ataru asked. Shinobu turned her head away. The act caught Jariten's attention. "I agree," he said answering Benten, "They can't stay here. Who knows when the next bomb will go off?" He shot her a knowing smile, and she stuck her tongue out at him. "I know a couple empty rooms where we could hide them, until things can be arranged. I'm sure Lum will come as soon as she's able. Benten, why don't you take them to 912A? It's furnished. They'll be fine there." "912A?! That's a fucking command residence, and it's on the other side of the ship. How am I going to get them there?" "I know where it is. It's only one floor down from Lum's quarters. They'd never suspect that we'd be crazy enough to hide anyone there." "Damn right it's crazy. How am I going to get them there?" Jariten winked and he turned to go out the door. "Be resourceful. I have a bull to distract. Bye all. Bye Shinobu." He blew her a kiss, and disappeared out the door. Benten threw a pillow at the door. She turned to Ataru and Shinobu. "This has been a bad day." Benten began pacing. "What will happen to us if we're discovered here?" Shinobu asked. "What the hell do you think?!" Benten said roughly, and continued pacing. Shinobu decided it was best not to ask any more questions. Suddenly Benten stopped. She turned to the three and said, "Wait here." With that she left the room. "We're going to be killed, aren't we?" Shinobu asked Ataru in their native language. "Of course," Cherry answered and got up. He went to the door, and opened it. "I thought so. It isn't locked this time." "Cherry," Ataru said standing. "They're going to put us in a safer place. We have to stay here." "Safer for whom?" Cherry responded. He peered both ways down the hall. "Our best and only course is to escape while we can. Come along Shinobu." "I'm staying with Ataru," she said. "If we leave, we'll be killed." Cherry looked at her with genuine concern. "I told you that helmet would brainwash you. I will go alone, then. I'll see if I can find some way to help you." Cherry went into the hall and the door closed behind him. Ataru rushed to the door as it closed. "Ataru, if he gets caught, they'll find us," Shinobu said getting out of her chair. "I know! Damn him!" "We should go and get him." "We have to wait for Benten. She'll be mad enough at Cherry without finding us all gone." Just then the door opened revealing Benten carrying three flight suits. "We can get pretty far with these," she said. Then she noticed the expressions on Ataru and Shinobu's faces. "What's . . . Damn! Where the hell is he?" "The door wasn't locked, so he escaped," Ataru said. "And you just let him go. Maybe I should just shoot you both now and save security the trouble when he gets caught! Damn!" "He can be very sneaky, when he wants to," Ataru offered. "For ours sakes, I hope so. Well put these on," she said, throwing down the uniforms. "I'll take care of you first." While they were slipping the flight suits on, Benten asked, "What does he expect to accomplish, anyway?" "He was talking before about sabotaging the fleet so they couldn't attack Earth again. Of course, he doesn't know anything about this ship." "It doesn't take a brain to damage a ship, once your inside," Benten offered. "Damn! As if things weren't bad enough." When they finished, Benten looked them over. "Fine, but now we have to cover your heads, or your lack of horns will give us away." "You don't have any horns," Shinobu said. "Yes, and I'm the only one on the whole ship. Everyone knows me. Very few non-Uruseians get to join the fleet. They don't want the guns falling into too many the wrong hands, I suppose." Benten laughed as if remembering an inside joke. "Hmm. Helmets, in residential halls, would look suspicious. Of course, I am also going to look a bit suspicious in the command residences." Her face became serious as she looked at her two charges. "How does he expect me to do this?" Suddenly a klaxon sounded. Ataru was surprised at the speed in which Benten grabbed her helmet and was heading toward the door. "What's going on?" he called out, when she was half-way out. "Scramble siren," she said. "We're under attack." She stopped in the doorway, remembering her other responsibilities. She looked at Ataru and Shinobu, and then down the hall. The siren continued to sound. "Damn!" she said and tossed her helmet to Shinobu. "Put that on. Ataru, stay between me and the girl, and move fast." Ataru and Shinobu came up behind Benten. She peered around the corner. A pilot ran out of his quarters in a rush and ran toward the hangar. "Go!" Benten said, and they ran out the room. The klaxon continued to sound and everyone was rushing to battle stations. No one paid much attention to the three of them as they ran through the halls. Benten moved very quickly, confidently guiding Ataru and Shinobu through a maze of halls and ladders. Benten refused to use the lifts. As they moved higher and higher up, the halls began to clear. By the time they reached level nine, section A, there was no one around. Benten lead them to room 912A and was surprised to find it unlocked. She shoved Shinobu and Ataru in. Following them, she closed and locked the door. Benten turned and saw Ataru and Shinobu staring in awe. Benten's mouth also fell open. This was an upper level command residence, so she expected it to be larger, and more comfortable than her own, but she was not prepared for the opulence that now greeted her. She looked around at the rich decorations and suddenly realized how Spartan Lum's quarters were. The siren stopped and a voice sounded over the P.A. "There is no attack. Repeat, there is no attack. Stand down. We have experienced a computer error, which has been corrected. There is no attack. Please resume your earlier duties. Message ends." Benten laughed loudly, and plopped down on the large, plush couch. "Hah! Jariten! Computer error, my ass. Will you look at this place?" "Do all the officers live like this?" Shinobu asked, handling a crystalline curio from the night stand. "I don't know," Benten said. "I never thought so. This is a room that Jariten said would be clear. I wonder how he got it?" "Take a look at this bathroom!" Ataru said, calling them over to the room he was looking at. The women came over at Ataru's request. Benten had been to hundreds of planets, but she had never seen porcelain as rich as this. The tub was huge, large enough for four, maybe five people. Benten was starting to realize the truth of 912A. "This is no standard officers quarters," she said. "Jariten surprises me at every turn." "You mean, he uses this for . . ." Shinobu blushed. "You have to admit, he has balls. On the same floor with all the fucking generals, Jariten has a bachelor pad. Hell, even Rei's quarters are two floors down from here." Benten laughed. She laughed until she was almost falling over. "I wish I had known about this earlier. It would have come in handy." "So we're safe now?" Shinobu asked sitting on the bed. Benten stopped laughed and looked seriously at Shinobu. "Safe?" Benten said. "I suppose. As things are, you'll never be very safe, but hell, what a room to be hiding for your lives in. There's got to be some liquor somewhere." Benten went searching through cabinets and cupboards until she found what she was looking for. "That angel!" she squealed. "Bandar '91, Yuli of the gods. This makes up for the entire day." "Yuli?" Ataru asked. "Yeah, have you no fucking culture? Yuli is the ritziest alcohol money can buy, and Bandar '91 is the ritziest yuli ever. Hah! He's got five bottles here. Well, he's not going to mind if we finish one, or two, or . . ." Benten giddily brought the bottle to the bed and plopped down next to Shinobu. She started working to get the cork out. "Only the best yuli still uses a cork," she told Shinobu. "Ataru, why don't find some glasses." Lum, with Ran by her side, made her way back to her own room. Her session with the doctor was an unbearable string of questioning and evading. She couldn't tell him anything of what she found. She couldn't tell him how familiar everything was on Earth. And she couldn't say anything about finding Darling. However, Talo had been Lum's doctor since she was four. He knew her inside and out, literally. He knew when she was being evasive. He knew she was lying. Fortunately, he was enough of a family friend not to tell anyone on the ship, but she knew that the doctor would definitely tell her father. She knew how difficult her actions had made her situation with regards to her succession. Her father would tell her to send Ataru back down to the planet and forget him. The best she could hope for would be to arrange to have Earth left alone, at least during her reign, and Ataru's lifetime. Ran quietly ushered her into her room, and began undressing her. "It's the middle of the day, Ran?" Lum protested. "I know what time it is, but the doctor said that you were to rest, and that is what you are going to do." "Ran, I am fine." "That's not what the doctor said. Now are you going to bed on your own, or will I have to sit and watch you to make sure that you do?!" Lum studied the determination in Ran's eyes. Sighing, she went to her zero gravity chamber, and called for zero gravity. She floated to a more horizontal position. Turning to Ran, she said, "Happy?" Collecting Lum's clothes Ran said, "I'm just doing what I feel is best for you. There's no call to be snippy." Lum smiled. "I'm sorry, Ran. I appreciate your concern." "That's better," Ran made her way to the door. "I'll look in on you in a tenth. Please try to rest." "I will." "Good," Ran said and left the room. Once outside Ran met Ten. "The mistress is resting. She is not to be disturbed," Ran said firmly. "I have no intention of disturbing her, dear lady," Ten said. "It's you I have come to see." "Oh?" Lum waited for four thousandths until she got out of bed. She was eaten up with impatience. She knew that Ataru was on the ship, now all she had to do was to find out where. She went to her closet and found some casual clothes. "Computer! Time?" "Point 68:91." Ran would show up around point 78 to come and look in on her. It gave her a bit of time. "Computer: communications, flight control." "Lt. Unot Wan, flight control," came a female voice. "Who is this?" "Redet Lum." "Yes, princess. What can I do for you?" "Has Benten returned yet?" "She returned at point 57:42. She also brought your shuttle with her." "That's was before the false scramble alert, wasn't it?" "Yes, maam. The scramble was at point 59:34. We still haven't traced the cause of the error yet. Sorry, my princess." "That's all right," Lum said. "You've been very helpful. Lum out." Lum guessed that the scramble was a ruse, probably concocted by Jariten to move Ataru to a safe place. He could be anywhere on the ship, but at least she knew he was on the ship, and he was safe. Now it was a matter of where to look for him. As it turned out, Lum was not totally in the dark about Jariten's nefarious activities on the ship. Of course, he had told her a lot of it, to amuse her when she was down, but she had also done a little detective work on her own. An Empress should be good, in her own right, at ferreting out secrets. If she could discover Ten's secrets, she felt, she could find out anyone's. Lum knew about the various rooms that Ten used for spying, for women, or just for hiding out from Rei. Two were very close to Lum's room. The one just below her own room was the easiest for her to find out about because she heard the parties. That seemed the most likely place to start. Ten would put them in someplace that was easy for her to find. She listened at her door, hoping to hear if Ran was waiting there for her. Ran was just cautious enough to do it, and who could blame her. Satisfied, Lum opened the door. The hall was clear. The tenth floor of section A was given entirely over to Lum. The only other quarters on the whole floor was Ran's servant quarters, which unfortunately were right next to the lift. There was no way that Ran would not hear the lift doors opening so Lum went to the emergency ladder. She dropped down to the ninth floor. The hall was clear. Lum had escaped. Room 912A was only a short distance away. She crossed the hallway, but found the door locked. That wasn't unexpected. It didn't matter. Her thumb print opened every door on the ship. She opened the door and was almost bowled over by the raucous laughter. Benten and Ataru were sitting on the bed surrounded by empty yuli bottles. Their faces were flush and it looked as though they were having a drinking contest. Lum quickly entered the room, locking the door behind her. Glancing around she was shocked by luxury of the room. Ten really knew how to live. She was also shocked by the sight of Shinobu snoozing peacefully on the sofa. "Darling? Benten!" "Lum-chan," Ataru said loudly, mixing languages. "I was just telling Benten about some of my fights with Jariten." "A little floating kid in tiger-striped diapers! That's great!" Benten shouted. Lum felt herself going pale. "What else did you tell her about the dreams?!" "Oh just about everything!" Benten answered. "That was a boss outfit you had for me, a little drafty, though. And Rei, turning into a big orange bull when he gets mad!" Benten fell off the bed laughing. Lum felt just like someone who had caught her best friend reading her personal diary. She felt betrayed and hurt. Lum forgot all about Shinobu. She marched over to the bed, her fists were clenched. "Uh oh," Ataru said. "She's going to hit us with a lightning bolt! We better duck." In an effort to duck, he too fell off the bed. He got up quickly and ran to the bathroom. His face was green. Lum went around he bed and looked down at Benten. Benten stopped laughing and looked up at Lum. "Hiya Lum!" she said, trying to contain her mirth. "You were supposed to hide him, not get him drunk!" Benten sat up, but was still on the floor. "Well you know, there was the room, and the Yuli. . . Bandar '91!" She held up an empty bottle, and then looked at it. "Shit! This is the '93. I guess we ran out of '91." Lum sighed and sat on the bed. "'Ya pissed at me?" Benten asked. "A little," Lum admitted. "He's safe and sound, and I even brought a second one. We had a third, but he got away. Bastard." Benten swayed. It was an effort for her to sit up. The floor kept shifting on her. "Who was the third?" "Oh, I don't know, but he sure was annoying. Hey, Aho! What was that other guy's name?" "Cherry," came the muffled response. "Yeah, that was it. What a ba - bas - idiot!" "Cherry's running around loose on the ship?!" "I had to get Aho safe and then I was going to go after Cherry, but there was the room and the yuli . . . Bandar '91! Yuli of the gods!" Lum slumped over and rubbed her temples. Things weren't starting well. They would be making their way back to Urusei tomorrow for her coronation in two weeks. Now her Darling was drunk, Shinobu had passed out, and Cherry was wandering the ship somewhere. She didn't know what Cherry was like in real life, but the thought of what he might do worried her greatly. Not to mention if he got caught. How did Shinobu and Cherry get into this anyway, she wondered. Ataru crawled out of the bathroom. "Lum! You're still here! Have you seen the tub in there? Actually, it doesn't look so great now. You'd better look after it gets cleaned up. He fell over, and began snoring loudly. "I win!" Benten announced. Lum took a half emptied bottle of yuli and guzzled it down. It was in better spirits and a little tipsy that Lum made her way back up the emergency ladder and to her room to be there for Ran's inspection. "Computer. Time?" "Point 77:70." Lum smiled. There was no chance that Ran would have stopped by early. Ran was nothing, if not punctual. Ran had been Lum's personal servant for four years, and Lum had made great use of Ran's punctuality. Lum took off her clothes and hung them neatly back in the closet. She went to her zero gravity bed and waited for Ran. Earlier downstairs, Lum had sat all alone in the large luxurious room. Benten had fallen asleep after a few more unintelligible words. Lum moved Ataru to the bed, and Benten to the second smaller couch. She put blankets over all three of them, and then she sat on the bed where she had lain Ataru. Lum spent the entire time, until she returned to her room, just sitting on the bed and looking at his face. Occasionally, she would gently reach down to brush back his hair, or caress his cheek. She left them all sleeping soundly. Floating, now in her own bed, she still thought of Ataru and smiled warmly. She hoped that soon she wouldn't have to be so secretive about him. She hoped that he could stand proudly next to her for all to see. It would take a lot of work, but she was determined to see that happen. A voice sounded over the intercom, "Princess Lum?" "Yes, what is it?" "Oh, thank the spirits. I was about to send someone. I've been trying to get you for the past several hundredths. I couldn't reach Ran, either." It sounded like the girl from communications. "I was detained. What is it?" "It's your father. He called at Point 70. He wants to talk to you, immediately. He looked very upset. I think you should hurry." "Thank you," Lum said. "I'll be right down." Lum would normally be terrified of a message like that, but she felt strangely calm. Perhaps it was the alcohol, or perhaps it was that she was expecting this call. In either case, she put on her spare uniform with cold efficiency, and made her way to the communications room. Lum thought it was strange that Ran couldn't be reached. Ran was never busy with anything, but Lum's affairs. She should be in her room. Lum would look into it later. Right now, the Emperor of the Uruseian Empire wanted to talk to her, and she was late. Very shortly after Lum had left, Ten arrived in 912A. Lum had cleaned much of the mess up before she left. The empty bottles were placed neatly on the coffee table. Overturned nick-nacks were put back in their proper places. However, Ten was still shocked at what he saw. The empty bottles caught his immediate attention. He picked one up and read the label. "No," he whispered. He rushed over to Benten and shook her awake. "Bandar '91, yuli of the gods," she said dreamily, and started to doze off again. Jariten was not about to let her. "Do you realize how expensive this was?" "Worth every credit," Benten answered, still mostly asleep. He held the empty bottle gently in his hands. "I never even got a sip." "Not true!" Benten shouted, suddenly awake. "I left you some over there." She pointed to an empty table. She squinted at the table. "Maybe not." She passed out again. Jariten gave up trying reason, and sat down sadly on the chair next to Benten's couch. He stood up quickly. There was something under the cushion. Lifting the cushion, he found that there was indeed one unopened bottle of Bandar '91. Jariten smiled. He went and got his finest glass, which was hidden behind a trick door in the wine cabinet. It was his Great grandfather's glass, and his most precious possession. Thieves tend not to be too trusting, so he kept it hidden. He opened the bottle, and sat back down in the chair. Pouring himself a drink, he raised his glass, and offered a toast. "To Benten, for being so thoughtful, and to a hard day's work, and a job well done." He drained the cup and poured himself another. The holoaudience chamber coalesced into life, revealing an image of Lum's father. His face was stern, and Lum felt her earlier calm melting away. "Greetings, my daughter." "Greetings, father." There was what seemed to Lum like an incredible silence between them. Her father drew a breath. "It has been little more than a day since I left you. I did not expect to see you again until you reached Urusei." "Yes, father." "My daughter has built a reputation of being level headed and responsible. These are good attributes for a ruler to have. Will you explain to me the events of this morning; events that have family leaders counseling me against turning over power to my mad daughter." Lum lowered her eyes. "I'm sorry, Father," she said meekly. "You are sorry? When one is an emperor, one finds that being sorry doesn't count for much. Sorry does not placate the families. The dreams were traced to that planet, and you went down, personally, to investigate." "Yes, father." "You found the source of the dreams?" Lum was silent, wanting to lie, but being unable to. "I see. Where is he?" Lum remained guiltily silent. "I see. Have you any idea of what you are going to do with him?" Lum was still silent. She didn't have the courage to say what she wanted to say before her father. "I see," her father responded a third time to her silent answers. "I have told you how precarious your succession is. I have told you how careful you must be if you expect to have any kind of smooth transition." "Yes, father." "Lum, I still trust you. You have always done me proud. I wouldn't be stepping down if I thought you weren't ready. Do you know what are doing?" "No father," she said, much to her own surprise. She raised her eyes to meet his. His face was no longer stern, but compassionate. "I'm following my heart." "I see," he said. "It would look bad for you to make for Urusei now. Continue on schedule for another week. You have an extra week to work this out." "Yes father. Thank you, father." "Don't betray my trust," he said and the image faded away. Lum stared at the empty platform that had held the image of her father. She expected to be punished, to be told to get rid of Ataru. Her father's apparent acceptance of Ataru's presence surprised her. He left it in her hands, even after she said she didn't have a plan. It really wasn't an acceptance of Ataru, though, it was an acceptance of her. He was letting her rule. Right or wrong, he was leaving it up to her now. His parting message burned in her brain. Her father's trust was precious. Disappointing him was an anathema to her. She knew he understood her better than anyone. He knew how Lum felt about Rei. He had to know of the ideas of rebellion growing in her brain; not rebellion against her father. There was no force in the universe that would make her do that, but rebellion against the system of families that was forcing her to marry Rei and make Ataru a slave. She turned to leave the chamber. What she wanted required finesse, and guile. To defeat the families she would have to play the family game better than she had ever done. Before, she had played the game like a child; with a little trick here, a little trick there. Her eyes were clear with determination. Now she would play it like an adult, like an Empress. She was playing with real stakes now, life, death, love, freedom. Winning this game was her only option. As she left the room, a tear ran down her cheek. She said out loud, "I won't betray your trust, daddy." Ran waited in front of Rei's door holding a folded stack of Lum's clothes. She felt foolish, and felt as if she was shirking her responsibilities. Jariten had talked her into doing this. What had seemed like an excellent argument before was less so now that she was actually here. Jariten had argued that since he was so good at spoiling Rei's relationships he should be able to arrange them as well. He had further argued that Lum had already said that she would like to see Rei and Ran together, so Ran would still be serving Lum by doing this. There was, of course, Ran's own feelings towards Rei in the matter, but she wondered whether she was really this desperate. Her station was still much lower than Rei's, and even if a relation formed between her and Rei, it couldn't last. Rei had many girlfriends, but there was no possibility of permanency with any of them, because of Lum. Ran was concerned with station, especially her own. Her position as maidservant for the princess put her about as high as she could get and not be on the List of Families. Although she liked Lum, and felt her a kind master, she envied Lum. Lum was born with her high station, and Ran felt that she did not appreciate the privileges that went along with it enough. She used so few of them. Serving Lum, Ran had a chance of being her maidservant when she became Empress. That was the real prize. Ran would be like Oyuki. The maidservant of the Empress gained immediate entrance into the List of Families. Ran's children would be born as aristocrats. That's what she really wanted. Even so, Rei was a greater prize, and Ran knew Jariten's game very well. For both Jariten and Ran there were two winning scenarios. The first, less likely possibility is that Rei would lose interest in Lum and marry Ran. This way, Ran would be accepted into an already established, powerful family, and Lum would be free to marry someone else. Someone of her own choice, if she worked fast enough. The more likely scenario was that Ran might begin a long-lasting affair with Rei, that continued after Rei and Lum were married. Ran would be the mistress of the Emperor as well as the maidservant of the Empress. This is not a bad situation when one has the support of the Empress. She would have the Emperor's ear, and it would give her and Jariten some control over Rei. Ran might also be able to gain some privileges for her bastard children, and there would be some. She would see to that. It was all a part of the game of family politics, which Ran was glad to play. It was the only real way to increase her station. It was the only real way to make sure that her children didn't have to serve anyone. Ran even dared to dream that her son, or grandson would be granted the administration of a planet, or two. In either case, Ran would also have her chance to be with Rei, even if it didn't last. Ran wanted Rei's touch as much as she wanted his station. She didn't understand why Lum didn't. Ran didn't understand Lum. She thought that if Lum had to go through all this to get her own station, perhaps she would appreciate it more. Jariten's plan was to just stand in front of Rei's room until Point 71. At Point 71, Rei, for some reason, would come charging out and bump into her, spilling the clothes. Rei would help her pick up the clothes, some of which was underwear, and so the romance would begin. It wasn't all that easy. Jariten placed a lot of the plan on Ran's own wiles. Ran felt that Rei was more likely to run her over and keep on going, but she waited patiently. Point 71 was very soon. She tensed herself and drew a breath. Right on cue Rei came running out of his room and ran into Ran. She was thrown to the ground by the collision and the clothes scattered. There was nothing in the original plan about how hard Rei's body was and how sore Ran would be after the collision. She almost felt she broke some bones. She was so sore. "Hey!" Rei shouted angrily. "Oh, I'm so sorry," Ran said getting up and collecting the clothes. She made sure she bent over at the waist and not the knees as she would normally have done. "I'm such a foolish woman. I just got Lum's clothes cleaned, and now they're everywhere. Could you pick up those panties over there?" Rei was sufficiently distracted. He had received a call that someone might have sabotaged his fighter, but he had just forgotten that. "Lum's panties?" he whispered. He had been planning the renewed attack on Earth, in particular, the destruction of Japan. Now he was more concerned with Lum's underwear. He picked them up like they were radioactive and then gave them back to Ran. Ran made sure that she was as close to Rei as she could get to receive them. "Oh thank you so much," she said and then cringed. "Ohh, my ribs!" She dropped the clothes and grabbed her side. She had to be careful not to overact. Rei bent down to picked up the clothes again. "Ohh!" Ran said louder. "I think it might be broken!" "Need a doctor?" "No! I mean, I hope not. Why don't you feel it, to see if it's broken. I trust your opinion." She looked up at him with wide-eyed vulnerability. "Where?" he asked. "Right there," she said, moving his hand just under her breast. "Do you feel anything?" "Not yet, uh, I mean no. It feels fine. I mean . . ." "Ooh!" she said and doubled up, moving her breast into he hand. He quickly pulled his hand away. She was being shameless and she knew it, but she wasn't likely to get another chance. "I feel sore all over," she said. "Your body is so hard. I don't think I can make it back to my room." "I could carry you." "Could you?" Ran said brightly. "That would be wonderful, if you don't mind." "No trouble, but the clothes." "They'll be okay. I can could give you some cookies, or sandwiches, when we get to my room." Rei picked Ran up in his arms. She was in heaven. Rei started at a pace that was far too fast as far as Ran was concerned. "Ohh!" she cried out. Rei obediently slowed down, and Ran realized how easy this was going to be. After Lum's talk with her father, she returned to 912A. She was happy to see that Jariten was there. He was sitting at a chair next to the sleeping Benten. On a table next to him was a half empty bottle of yuli. In his hand he held a full glass, which he sipped from. "Hallo Lum," he said as she entered. "Look at them. Drunk on my expensive wine. I doubt if they'll appreciate the sophistication of the hangover they're going to have." He took another sip. "And how was your visit to the doctor?" "Long and useless," Lum said pulling the only remaining empty chair over closer to Jariten. She sat in it, and locked eyes with Ten. "Cousin, we have a lot of work to do." "I can agree with that." "I have been listening to my heart. I am not going to live with the status quo." Ten smiled and took a drink. "I didn't think you would. What specific changes is your heart telling you to make?" "The first," Lum said getting more serious, "is that I am not going to marry Rei. I intend to put Ataru up as my future emperor." "You won't be making this announcement immediately, I hope." Lum smiled. "There is some preparation I would like to do first." "Good, continue." Ten took another sip. His eyes sparkled with interest. "I do not want the attack on Earth to continue. We shall have no further military contact with them. Further, I think it is high time that the family's power over the planets was broken. I want to abolish the system of slavery." Ten whistled. "I'm impressed. Then you plan on starting a civil war." "Not if I don't have to. I want to do as much as I can behind the scenes first." Ten put the glass down and leaned forward. "Your coronation is in two weeks. That fact coupled with Ataru, is going to create quite a stir. How do you plan to do anything behind the scenes." "Well, my coronation is in three weeks. Father gave me another week to work things out." Ten leaned back. "That'll make all the difference," he said sarcastically. "You wanted to know what my heart said," Lum said getting a little upset with Ten's complacency. "I did, and I am happy that you started listening to it. Do you want to hear my news?" "What have you been up to?" "Oh, nothing," Ten said absently. "I just fixed Rei up with Ran. If all goes well he won't want to marry you in a couple weeks." "You what?" "I felt Rei needed something else to occupy him, besides the existence of your dream boy there." "So you think he'll dump me for Ran," Lum said testily. "Well!" Ten said in mock surprise, "Jealousy, I'm shocked. He'll dump you, all right, with a little help from me and from someone whose actually interested in him." "His family won't allow it." "I thought we were going to work on breaking the families." "What else have you done?" "Oh let's see, Ahh yes, I understand that Azu Des's favorite vase exploded on the mantle in the Azu mansion. No one was hurt, of course, but I understand that feathers were very ruffled when a message was found which read 'Tit for tat - a friend of Benten.'" Lum nodded. "We can only hope that he'll make the more prudent response." "Azu Des is not known for his prudence, but I'm confident he will soon see it our way. Are you sure you wouldn't rather have him killed?" "Not yet. Anything else?" "I have a few other things brewing, but nothing to report yet. Any orders." "Orders?" Lum asked incredulously. "I'm amazed. It sounds like you've already started before I even made my decision." "Just a happy coincidence, I assure you. Rei needed to be distracted so he wouldn't blow up that island just to get Ataru. Rei and Azu Des, are minor problems." "Yes, I suppose they are," Lum agreed reluctantly. "I do feel as though I'm being too idealistic." "People die from old age, disease, chance, mistakes, and idealism. Only idealism is worth the sacrifice." Lum studied Jariten skeptically. "Of course, master sage, and what other advice do you have to bestow." Ten smiled and took another sip. "Sarcasm doesn't become you." Lum stood. "Tomorrow, when everyone is sober, I want to meet here, and begin our real plans. At Point 40, if everyone can manage it." "And Cherry?" "Find him, please," She pleaded. Ten smiled, and finished off his glass. "Have a good night, my Empress." At the door, Lum turned and said, "Good night, Ten, and please don't call me that. At least not until the coronation." Ten raised his glass to her, and she left. Benten opened her eyes and slowly sat up. She was dizzy and had a headache, but she was alert. She and Ten exchanged smiles. "Her father was right," she said. "You are surprised?" "She's wanted to change things all right, but in the end I didn't think she would have the courage." "She doesn't," Ten observed. "Not on her own. All this is for him." He indicated the sleeping Ataru. "She's destroying everything she's ever known, all for love?" "Why not?" Ten took another sip. Alt-Urusei Yatsura IV "That's What Dreams are Made of" __________________________ "Young people!" Cherry said under his breath as he emerged from the small closet near Benten's room. The lights had been dimmed slightly, indicating to Cherry that the night watch was beginning. He hoped he could move a little more freely. He glanced at Benten's door and wondered whether Ataru and Shinobu were both still there. He wondered if they might be already dead. "What a fool that boy Ataru was?!" Cherry thought. How easily he was willing to give his people up to alien invasion. Shinobu would follow him. Women will foolishly follow anyone. Cherry looked at the incomprehensible signs that labeled the doors around him. For a moment he wished that he had tried that language device, but then if he had he would be following the aliens blindly, as Ataru was. Finding his way around would be inconvenient, but he would manage. The alternative was unthinkable. He was Earth's only hope now. He chose a door that looked like the most obvious way out. It was. Now all he had to do was to find the engine room. Ataru stood in the middle of the street in front of his house. Off in the distance he saw Lum flying toward him. Just as he had almost escaped for his girl hunt, too. He decided to make a break for it and hope that she wouldn't catch him. Lum had seen him though and guessed his plans. It made her furious that after all that they had been through he was still refusing her love. She turned up the speed and flew after him. Sparks shimmered around her. She would stop him. "Darling! You had better stop! The only girl you should be hunting after is me!" Ataru looked back. Lum was gaining on him rapidly. He ducked down an alley way, hoping to make another quick turn, and then lose her. However, the alley was long and there were no quick exits. Lum caught up with him, and a resounding zap stopped him in his tracks. "Darling," she asked, floating down next to him, "Why must you always run from me? No one will love you more than I do." Ataru, a bit frazzled, turned to face Lum. "Love me?" he said, "You destroyed my home!" Lum was confused. "I don't understand. I didn't destroy anything." "Ha! It's what you do, remember. You invade planets! You've destroyed the Earth." "Darling what are you talking about? Earth is my home, now. I would never do anything to harm it." Suddenly a realization hit both of them. "We're dreaming," they said simultaneously. It was a shock. They had never realized that before while they were in the dream. Who they really were came back to them in a quick flash. "We still live in each other's dreams, even after meeting," Ataru said. Lum flew back out into the open street. It was Earth again, as she remembered it. Everything was restored. People walked about their business. "I haven't lost my home." she said. Ataru walked up beside her, and took her hand. Lum floated down next to him. "This is even stranger than it was before," Ataru said. "We're still in the dream, but now we know it's a dream. It's a whole separate world." "I've always liked this one more," Lum said. She put her arms around Ataru. "But now I'll like it better, because you won't run from me anymore." Ataru pulled away from her. "It isn't real, Lum. Benten told me a lot of things today, about you and your people." The scene around them started to shimmer and fade. "Do you understand why I like this world better?" she said. "You can't have it, and I'm not sure if I want yours, either." Lum opened her eyes. They were filled with tears. She looked around her darkened room. Ataru was gone and she was awake. This was reality and that was a dream, but Lum knew that Ataru was only one floor below, and he had shared that dream. They were so intertwined that they could never be apart. In dreams, and awake they would share their lives now, but Ataru was still going to run from her, and now she couldn't blame him. She wanted to run too. She closed her eyes, hoping that they could resume the dream and perhaps work something out. She just wanted to be with him again. She fell asleep, but she did not dream. Ataru awoke to see Shinobu looking down at him. "Ataru, wake up," she said in their own language. Ataru looked around. There was a numbing pain in his head. Benten was gone. Shinobu and Ataru were alone in the room. "The door isn't locked," she continued, "We should go now. We don't belong here." If Shinobu had only known what he had just said to Lum, Ataru thought. He felt bad that the dream ended there. He knew Lum would be hurt. Understanding a little of what Lum wanted from him, and the life that she knew, he felt very inadequate. But despite his feeling, he didn't feel like deserting Lum. Actually he didn't know what he wanted. "I don't think I should leave," he said. "You're going to stay here after what Benten said. You heard what these people do to planets. You want to join them? We should be helping Cherry. He was right, your dream girl is a demon!" "She not a demon!" Ataru demanded loudly, and then wished he hadn't because of his head. "Do you love her so much, and me so little that you can be so blind! We're on an alien battleship orbiting Earth. They've already attacked once. We have to escape." Ataru got up, ready to agree with Shinobu, and ready to argue with here. Then he remembered where he had just been. "I can't escape." "What do you mean?" "I'm still dreaming about her," he admitted, "There's no place I can go. We will always be connected." Shinobu's face turned red. She marched over to where Lum had stacked the empty Yuli bottles and began throwing them around the room, and occasionally at Ataru. Glass was shattering all over the room. "I hate you!" she kept yelling. When she had gone through the last bottle she turned on the cringing Ataru. "You've never loved me, have you? It's always been her. Why can't you dream about me for a change?! Aren't I pretty enough? Maybe I'm just an ordinary Earth girl, but I've got it where it counts! Look at me! Look at me! Aren't I a woman?! Why do you need that alien!? Please be with me." Ataru was in shock. Shinobu's outburst had him completely stunned. For the first time, he was actually afraid of her. She approached him, and he cringed back. "You're running from me?" she said, her rage beginning to change to tears. "I'm throwing myself at you. Am I the monster now? Am I the demon?" she dropped to her knees, and hid her face. "Why do you have to be so cruel to me? What did I do to you? Why do you hate me so?" "Shinobu, I don't hate you." "Yes you do! I'm giving myself to you and won't even come near me. You won't touch me even when I throw myself at you. I'm so ashamed. What was I thinking? Why do you love that demon, and not me?" Ataru watched Shinobu as she dropped to the floor. Her head was lowered in despair. He didn't understand her actions and he didn't understand his own. He had always wanted Shinobu, and now she was before him, and they were alone. He didn't have sneak up on her. She wanted him to touch her, to kiss her. It was everything he could have asked for, but now he didn't want her. He was confused by what he felt. Something that he always felt was very basic had now become complicated. He went to her and put a hand on her shoulder. She looked up at him, there was hope in her eyes. "I do love you, Shinobu." She smiled, and held him close to her. He hesitantly put his arms around her. "Let's run away from that demon," she whispered in his ear. "I love you, but . . ." he said and immediately felt her stiffen. "Please don't say it," she said quietly, "I know what you're thinking. Your dream becomes real, and my reality becomes a dream. I've gone through the wrong door, and came into a world where I can never be happy. Please just hold me, and let me dream a little longer." Ataru held her tighter. He felt her shake, shedding silent tears. Her arms closed even tighter around him. Ataru still didn't know how to express how he felt about Shinobu. He was glad that she seemed to understand, and accept it. After a couple minutes, Shinobu pulled away from him, and stood. Her eyes were red from crying. She looked down at her clothes "My clothes are a mess from sleeping on them," she said to herself. "Maybe Ten has something in his closet." "But Ten's a man. He won't have anything for me." "In this room, I think he might," Ataru said. Shinobu looked around the room and remembered what they had said it was for. She started to make her way to the closet and then stopped. She turned to Ataru. "You do think I'm pretty don't you?" "Very." She turn and offered him a profile. "My breasts are shaped nicely and my hips aren't too wide?" "I wouldn't change anything." She smiled at the compliment. "But you will not leave your alien?" "No, I can't." * * * * * Far away from the Uruseian battle fleet orbiting Earth, on the Azu family homeworld, Azu, a meeting was taking place. In the family palace, a building which occupied 20 acres of land near one of the planet's five oceans in the northern tropical zone, Azu Des called this meeting of five of the major family leaders shortly after a small bomb went off in that very same palace. The damage was only superficial. No one was killed. A servant was injured, but not badly. The message, however, was unmistakable and grave. A new power was beginning to come into its own in the empire, and it would have to be dealt with, before it got out of control. Attending the meeting were Azu Des, who sat at the head of the long three-hundred year old ornate meeting table in the large west hall of the palace. This hall was purported to be so large that weather inhibitors had to be installed to keep it from raining. Also attending was Seq Yedis, powerful matron of the Seq house and mother of Rei. Her daughter, Rei's younger sister, sat quietly next to her. Uio Retah sat opposite of Seq. His family, like the Azu's were traditional enemies of the Redet's. The Uio family was known for a very violent past which the current members of the family honored and perpetuated. Uio Retah had killed seven in Ossak duels. He and Lum had not fought yet, but he was looking forward to the challenge. He had heard of her reputation and often chided Yedis Seq about her son's many defeats at the hands of the young female Redet. Next to Uio, was Pochik Vel, and his son Ando. Pochik was extremely old and required his now middle-aged son to help him get about. Despite his age, though, Vel had a sharp mind and held on to the family patriarchy with an iron grip. Ando had all but given up on taking his father's place and hoped that someday his teenage son would be allowed to take the seat. Vel held on to the family patriarcate because his son embarrassed him. Ando's sympathy with the Redet's and their policies was common knowledge, and unacceptable to the elder Pochik. Lastly was Dedron Sil. Sil, only a little older than Lum, and had just received the family title from her grandfather. Her parents had died when she was very young. When she was a child, she played with Redet Lum, but they grew apart. It was Lum's growing friendship with Benten which was the final wedge that divided them and made Sil an enemy. She had no love for the slave races, and knew they were not worthy of an Uruseian's friendship, especially the friendship of the princess. "So you had a little bomb in your living room, Azu," the old Pochik's creaky voice called out loudly. His voice was filled with contempt and sarcasm. The Pochik's had little love for the Azu's. Their family competed in almost every market. Only their mutual hatred of the Redet's got them talking. Pochik Vel, disliked Azu Des, in particular, however. He felt Azu was weak and a fool. It was that one point that he and his son agreed on. Azu Des didn't appreciate Pochik company either, but he needed them. It is an unwritten law of the Empire that any Azu plan will be countered by the Pochik familawas matter of principle, if they are not involved. Azu Des didn't need Pochik siding with the Redet's as a matter of principle. "Exactly," Uio added to Pochik chide, "we all get little bombs. They're annoying, but its part of the family game. Why bring us half way across the galaxy to talk about it?" "It is more than just a bomb," Azu said trying to restrain his temper. "It is a symptom of a much greater problem." "Well come out with it," the Seq matron called impatiently. Azu drew a breath, "The bomb had a molecular message which it plastered all over my walls. It read, 'tit for tat, a friend of Benten'" "The slave pilot?" Sil asked. "Yes." "This is the one you've been trying to kill, isn't it Azu?" Pochick chided more. "Yes," Azu answered grudgingly. "How many attempts have you made so far?" the old Pochick continued with what was had become his favorite jab against the Azu Patriarch. "Six, I believe." "Funny," Pochick said smiling, "I had heard that it was eight, and the slave hasn't even seen a hospital bed let alone a coffin. Why do you suppose that is?" "Rank incompetence, I'd say!" Uio added testily. At this Azu blew up. "I'd like to see one of you try it. Benten is exceptional or she wouldn't be in the fighter corp. How many slaves are there in the fighter corps? Five! Out of 94 billions? And Benten is the best of the five." "She's the best of the whole damn fighter corps, slaves and Uruseian's alike," Pochik added. "She's not better than my son!" Seq countered. "I've seen your son fly, Yedis," Pochik said calmly, "He's competent and not much else. He'd be better if he wasn't dumb as a brick." Seq stood angrily. "I did not come here to listen to insults against my son!" The old Pochick chuckled, "After all, you can hear them anywhere." "Enough!" Azu shouted. He shot a glance at Pochick, who just smiled knowingly back at him. The old bastard was purposely trying to railroad the meeting. Azu was not going to let it happen. He had some information that would shut them all up. "I have it on good authority that the emperor will be resigning soon," he announced and got the desired response. All eyes were on him. "Where did you here that?" the young Dedron matron questioned. "I have my sources," Azu said confidently, ignoring Pochik's wordless comment, "I'm not sure when, but it will shortly after Lum's fleet returns to Urusei." "That can't be!" Seq Yedis protested. "We haven't even begun the wedding plans. It'll take at least a year." "Perhaps they're planning to crown Lum before she gets married," the old Pochick said in a lilty voice. "That would give Lum ample time to dig in her heels before Rei would have any say about it," Uio commented. "By Rei," Azu said, "you mean us, and that is exactly my point, but there's more. You've all heard about the princess's dreams and possible alien influence on those dreams." Everyone nodded. "A mad empress is not all-together a bad thing," Pochik put in. "If she only she were just mad. They've were tracing the signal and found the source," everyone gasped. Azu continued, quite pleased with how his news was being received. "They found it as Lum's fleet was attacking it. Lum called the force back immediately, and went down to the planet alone." Azu paused to let his words settle in. "Well!" called the impatient Pochik, "what did she find?" "All my sources say she returned empty handed, but they're still in the planet's orbit, and the attack has not resumed." "Do you think that they've brought up the culprit, Azu?" Dedron asked. "I'm certain of it." "Which means what?" Uio put in. "How dense can you be! No matter how you look at this it is bad. First of all, there is the emperor's end-run by resigning early, hoping to give his daughter an advantage over us. Secondly, there's these transmissions. If this planet has in fact gained control of the princess, then they'll have to be stopped, and that'll mean war, civil war, because many families will side with the princess whether she is controlled or not. If, on the other hand, the Redets have gained the secret of subspace dream control, then they possess a weapon of unimaginable power. We are all at risk from its influence." "I assume you have a plan, Azu," Pochick said. "I do. We need to send a special spy to Lum's fleet, to find out what the exact coronation plans are, and whether Lum is still controlled or not, and if possible to steal information about dream control. Do you have anyone in mind, Seq?" The matron smiled. "I think I do." Lum awoke the next morning and dressed herself. Ran never came. That was so unlike Ran that it worried Lum. Ran was never late for anything. Although there were many times that Lum wish that Ran was not constantly hovering over her, at this moment she felt completely lost. She had no idea what her schedule was for the day. Ran had always kept that for her. She knew that she had a very important decision to make, though. What to do with the Earth. Leaving it alone would raise hundreds of questions, but she couldn't attack it again either. She couldn't destroy her home. It really was a no win situation, and there was only one solution that she could live with. She would have to deal with the questions. It was time to move on. If they stayed too long, then there would be some real questions. Then there was the matter of their guests. Darling would stay, but what of Shinobu, and that monk. She hoped that Ten had found him. Suddenly there was a muffled rumble followed by a shock wave that rattled her room. The klaxons sounded and a excited voice called over her speaker. "Princess, there's been an explosion!" "Where!" "Engineering. Fire crews are already on their way. The fire is very close to the reactor! She may go all the way!" "Who attacked us?" "There are no other ships in the area. It seems to have been an internal explosion." "Could it have been Cherry," she thought. "Casualties?" she said aloud. "The explosion was during the morning shift change. We lost two shifts. The room was engulfed in flames! There couldn't have been any survivors." "Get all non-essential personal ready for evacuation! I'll be right up. And shut off that alarm!" "Yes, my princess!" As Lum made her way to the bridge she kept on expecting the ship not to be there anymore. Imagines of what it would be like invaded her subconcious. How much of it would she be aware of? When the flames burst the bulkheads asunder and the hot plasma that was her ship mixed with the cold vacuum of space, what would her thoughts be, or would it just be instant blackness. "It was useless to think of those things at such a time," she admonished herself. Philosophy was better for times of idleness, but it was hard not to think about it. The moment of death is hard to put out of one's mind when it could happen at any instant. What is on the other side of that most opaque of doors? And when will she be invited to enter its threshold? Lum tried to rench her mind to the matters at hand Lum entered the bridge. Before her was the expected bustle of activity. The watch officer noticed her entry and went to her. "Status!" she commanded. The officer saluted and began his report. "The fire is under control, but still rages. The reactor is undamaged but has been temporarily taken off-line. We're operating on reserves now. It appears that our main drive systems are severely damage, perhaps irreparably. We can still maneuver locally, but we won't be able to leave this star system for some time." "Damn!" Lum said out loud. "How are the other ships in the fleet?" "They are undamaged." "Put them on high alert, in case this is a prelude to an attack. Have their crews scour their engines for sabotage." "Should I notify the Emperor?" "Not yet. We don't want to give our condition away until it's under control." "And what of our ship, a saboteur could be on board?" Lum thought. She couldn't initiate a search with her Darling on board, and she had a good idea who the saboteur was. Though, the thought that it might be one of the families getting a little bolder was not out of the question, either. Lum, studying the officer, formulated her response. "No search. I have a theory about the saboteur, and I don't think he's aboard anymore. I'll handle this matter. Carry on." "Yes, my Princess!" The officer saluted and went to carry out Lum's orders. Lum needed to find Ten. He was supposed to get Cherry under control. She had him called to the bridge. Well, at least they had an excuse to stay a little longer now, she thought. * * * * * Ran was startled awake by the explosion and the alarms. She sat up in her bed. She noticed that her old-fashioned alarm clock was buried under her pillow. She tried to collect her thoughts from the night before and noticed Rei sleeping peacefully beside her. She smiled. "Victory," she thought. She put her hands on her stomach and hoped. The alarms went off, so she assumed the emergency was being handled. Then another thought occurred to her and she quickly pulled her clock out from under her pillow. The digital face read point 32:13. She was late! For the first time in her career, she was horribly late. She jumped out of bed and began cleaning up. Her and Rei's clothes were strewn all over the floor. She tried to make some order out of it. If Lum had gotten up on time, she would have been up for more than a hundredth point by now. She would definitely know that Ran was late. And what was that noise that woke her up about, she wondered. Ran put on her clothes, touched up her hair and rushed out the door. She hoped that Lum was still there, so she would be able to apologize and get Lum ready for her day. She damned herself for her self-indulgence. If she lost her mistress's favor she would lose everything. She knocked on Lum's door. Ten arrived on the bridge and Lum grabbed his arm and ushered him back out. "You look a mess," he commented before she could say anything. It occurred to her that she probably did. This was the first time that she had every had to fix herself up in the morning. She wasn't very good at it. Ran was such a wonderful perfectionist when it came to Lum's appearance. Lum was really beginning to realize how much she relied on the too polite servant. She wondered what happened to her. "Ran didn't show up this morning, but we have more important things to discuss!" Ten smiled. "Didn't show up? Well, well, well. She must have had a good night." "What do you mean?" "If you'll recall I hooked her up with Rei last night." "Oh!" Lum said in astonishment. This was something that had not occurred to her. "I hope you can forgive her tardiness just this once." Lum thought about Ran and Rei for a second, and then switched quickly back to the matter at hand. "Her I can easily forgive, but you promised that you would find Cherry before he caused any trouble!" "Has their been a problem?" Lum has never had a desire to strike her cousin, until now. "You cannot expect me to believe that with all the alarms and orders that you were unaware of the explosion in engineering. " "So that was what that was all about. I'm sorry, I'm a heavy sleeper, especially after a good bottle of Yuli." "So why didn't you find Cherry!" "Calm down, I have been searching for him. He's a sly old-bugger, that's for sure. Nobody's seen him. There's been a few things missing, tools mostly, food. I think that he's learned to operate the replicators." Lum sighed. "I'm sorry, but I want him found! Nothing is as important as getting him under control, understand?" The bridge door opened and a crewwoman left the bridge. She bowed as she passed Lum and continued on her way. When she was out of sight, Ten said, "I think I get the point. I'll put everything I have on it, but like I said, he's good, and he may have died in the blast." "Do you believe that?" "No," Ten answered plainly. "Neither do I. If I was going to injure this ship from inside further. I would go after the fighter bay, the reactor, or the main computer. I would check there first." "He may also sneak a ride on a shuttle to get one of the other ships," Ten suggested. "I'll cancel all intership shuttles trips until you catch him." "Once I catch him, what are we supposed to do with him?" Ten inquired. "We take him and Shinobu back to Earth." "And the Earth?" Lum paused. "We're leaving that as it is." "Good luck on explaining it. Good day, princess." Ten turned and left. "Thank you, Ten," Lum called after him. * * * * * On Earth many things were happening in the aftermath of the stalled invasion. The planet's military forces were injured but not crippled by the initial surgical strikes of the Uruseian bombers. Militias were being formed and trained all over the planet, in expectation of a renewed invasion, including Tomobiki-cho. All the men, sixteen and above were called to service. Tomobiki high school had been turned into a military headquarters, and the yard, a training ground. Professor Onsenmark, a reservist, was given command of a squad that included his students. He found drilling them little different than teaching them. They drilled for most of the morning, and were finally given a brief rest. Mendo, Megane, Kakugari, Pama, and Chibi sat in a heap around the large tree in the center of the yard. They were exhausted. Their ill-fitting uniforms were drenched with sweat. "You know," Pama spoke up between breaths, "I can almost believe that Ataru got himself abducting by the aliens so he wouldn't have to go through this training." "Do not speak the name of the traitor," Megane barked, "I hope they torture him for a long time." "I don't know," Chibi said, "that Lum was every bit as good looking as Ataru said she was. That girl who shot at us wasn't bad either. I bet Ataru's enjoying himself." "And he's got Shinobu too," Kakugari said. "Who knows what happens when dreams come to life?" Mendo said. "I know that I'd rather be in Ataru's dream than our reality." "You can wish all you want," Megane said slowly getting a firm grip on his gun, "but if I see any of those horned demons again, especially Lum, I'll make sure that they know not to mess with the Earth again!" * * * * * Lum arrived to find Ataru and Shinobu talking together, sitting on the couch. Shinobu has changed into a dress. Quite a nice one too, Lum noted. Seeing how good Shinobu looked in it, and seeing the two of them together Lum felt a twinge of jealousy. She remembered the initial battle between them in the dreams and hoped that they wouldn't have to repeat that. She smiled and continued in. "Lum," Shinobu whispered. This was actually the first time that she had seen her. Shinobu had been sleeping before. When she heard "alien" from Ataru, she had convinced herself that Lum was some kind of weird bug-eyed monster, and that Ataru was crazy, but Lum was no monster, at least not physically. Shinobu had to admit that. In fact, she had an exotic beauty to her, which helped Shinobu to realize how serious the competition was. "Hello, Shinobu," Lum said in Japanese. "It's good to meet you." There was an obvious tension between them. Shinobu stood and approached Lum. "It's good to finally meet you too," she responded. Ataru nervously watched the exchange, waiting for one of them to lunge at the other. "Are you comfortable?" Lum asked trying to keep her tone polite. "I haven't given him up yet," Shinobu said, "I want you to know that." Lum did not avert her eyes, but kept contact. She could see that Shinobu's will was formidable, but so was hers. "I'll be making arrangements to take you and Cherry back to the planet." "And Ataru?" Shinobu asked coldly. "That's his decision and then it will be decided." Lum turned to leave. "Lum," Ataru called meekly. Lum turned, trying to control her anger over Shinobu. Ataru felt very uncomfortable about breaking into the exchange between Lum and Shinobu, but he had to know. "Last night, did you dream?" Lum's face softened. "Yes," she nodded. She shot a triumphant glance at Shinobu and then left. Ataru very much wished to leave the room with her, but he knew that it was dangerous. He wasn't sure, though, that it wasn't more dangerous than being here with Shinobu. He forgot completely to ask about the explosion, or the location of Cherry. He figured that they were related. He felt Shinobu's eyes on him. He had to be strong. "Shinobu," he began looking up at her, "we've discussed this. I'm staying on the ship. I have no choice. You lost me when you turned your back on me two days ago." "I don't care. I'm not a quitter. I've never stopped wanting you, but I couldn't fight a dream. Now I have someone real to fight!" Ataru stood, and called up all his strength as he faced Shinobu. "Shinobu, I am staying on the ship! I'm staying with Lum!" Shinobu paused in silence, not knowing how to react. Ataru was laying it on the line and she had to decide how to respond. She wanted to get angry, but she knew that wouldn't help. "You have no love for me at all." "Oh, this is not about love. It's about where I belong. I don't belong on Earth. Ataru Moroboshi died in the invasion. I love you. I'll always love you, but I belong with Lum. We're connected." Shinobu lower her head and said quietly, "Tell Lum that I want to go back to Earth as soon as possible." Shinobu then turned and ran into the bathroom. She shut the door behind herself and didn't come out. Ataru stared at the door for what seemed like a long time. He sighed at the futility of life in general and then sat back down. Lum marched back to her room in anger and found Ran there busily cleaning it. When she saw Lum enter, Ran dropped to her knees before Lum. "Mistress, I am so sorry. It won't happen again. I beg your forgiveness." It was barely midday and Lum had already been sent through the full gamut of emotions. Now she was asked for forgiveness and understanding. "Ran it's okay. I know where you were." "You do?" Ran said a little embarrassed. "You know my feelings about Rei. I'm not angry, I'm grateful. But if you really want to make me happy, you could fix my hair." Ran looked up and gasped. "My lady! You went out like that! I am a most wretched servant!" Ran grabbed a comb and immediately attacked Lum's hair. "What's my schedule for the rest of the day?" "There's nothing, my lady. Everything's on hold since you called off the invasion. It has been quite a week hasn't it?" "That it has, ow!" Lum agreed while twinging at the comb being forced through her hair. "Sorry, my lady. If I may ask, when are you going resume the attack? Rei was all preoccupied about it." "Was he? What did he say?" Ran took a breath. "Oh, look at that face! There's a lot more than your hair to do, isn't there?" "I'm not good with make-up. What did Rei say about the invasion?" "You certainly aren't. Actually, it was more about you marrying that dream lover over him. I thought that you had stopped dreaming." Lum knew that now she would have to think up something to perpetuate the lie that she had begun with Ran, but she didn't want to. She was tired of lying to Ran. "Ran, if I told you to keep a secret do you think you could." Ran stopped brushing. "I would do anything for you my lady, why do you ask?" "If this secret got out too soon, it would be the end of everything I've worked for up until now." "I can't believe that you've been keeping secrets from me, mistress. Nothing that you tell me ever leaves this room." "And who told the rest of the ship about my dreams?" "That's not politics, my lady, that's fun." Ran finished her brushing and started to work on Lum's face. "That fun has half the empire thinking that I've gone mad. We can't be too careful about what we tell people." "I'm sorry my lady, but so many people ask me about you. I have to tell them something. It seemed the safest thing to say, but if you tell me to be quiet about something, I will. What other mistress would let her servant sleep with her own fianc? I would do anything for you. It hurts that you don't trust me." Lum smiled. "When you're done, I have something to show you." "Thank you, my lady." "One more question, Ran?" Lum asked. "Yes?" "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little curious. How was he?" Cherry stood just inside a darkened doorway outside one of the ship's shuttle bays. His little bit of sabotage had gone well. He hoped he had crippled them sufficiently, but now he needed to get to one of the other ships, and continue his work. Earth owed him a great debt. From where he stood he had a good vantage of the shuttle bay. Activity had died down greatly since the explosion. He had hoped to start an evacuation and then he could just hitch a ride in the confusion, but that never happened. Now he had to wait for an opportunity. Someone entered the shuttle bay. Cherry watched his activity closely. It was a shortish man in a space suit. He went to one of the shuttles, and began a preflight examination of the outer hull. Here was Cherry's opportunity. He watch the man work his way around the shuttle examining wires, struts and vents. Cherry mentally congratulated the man for such a meticulous examination. Cherry decided to make his move. He left his doorway, hugging the shadows and moving from ship to ship. He moved without a sound. Soon he was within meters of the shuttle door. He waited for the man to move to the other side of the ship and then rushed for the door. He cursed the noise of the door servos, but it couldn't be helped. In a matter of seconds he was inside the shuttle and hidden. The door opened again and the shuttle pilot entered. Cherry hoped that he had not heard him. The pilot pulled out his weapon. Cherry felt his heart stop. He was caught! He stopped breathing, worried that any sound could give him away. He felt that his heart was beating far too loudly. The pilot turned toward the back of the shuttle and went straight to the locker that Cherry was hiding in. He opened it and leveled his weapon right between Cherry's eyes. Ten took off his helmet and smiled at his captive. "Do you have any idea how much trouble you've put me through?" Cherry, of course, didn't understand what he said, but offered a nervous smile in response. Benten trudged down the hall leading away from engineering. She was grimy, sooty and burnt. The fire was finally out. With every step she uttered expletives against the monk whom she foolishly had not blown to bits when she had the chance. Benten hated Uruseians in general, but there were good people killed in that explosion, and still more in the fire fight. Their loss was unacceptable. She also was not thrilled with the idea of spending more time around Earth than was necessary. The damage to the main drive was extensive. It was more a matter of rebuilding than repairing. It would take weeks. Weeks that they didn't have to waste. Lum had to get to Urusei. They could abandon this ship and crowd its crew on the other ships of the fleet, but Lum wasn't one who would abandon a vessel that could still move under its own power, especially this one, and Benten could hardly blame her. If her own fighter had suffered such sever engine damage, Benten would be more likely to get out and push rather than leave it. They would have to stay around Earth for a while. Benten had decided that she liked Ataru and that he could stay, but the monk was dead, and if the people of Earth weren't careful they wouldn't last long either. Benten was far too dirty and grimy at this point to be merciful. She went to her room and got cleaned up. She put on a fresh uniform. The rush of fighting the fire was beginning to give way, and her muscles were starting to feel sore. It had been a hard morning. She wanted to just collapse on her bed. The fire fighters were given the rest of the day off, while other crews sorted through the debris. She had plenty of time, but she needed to talk to Lum. She felt the best place to start looking would be the room where Ataru was so she went there. She made her way along some of the less traveled halls, and again used ladders instead of the lifts. They couldn't attract attention to that room by going in and out of there too casually. She arrived at the room almost unseen and went in. When the door opened she found herself nearly toe to toe with Cherry. Lum brought Ran to the floor below and over to room 912A. "Mistress, why do you have a room down here? What are you keeping in there?" "Ran, you are not going to believe what I found on the planet's surface," Lum said brightly, but her words were followed by a loud crash against the door. Lum quickly opened it. Inside were Shinobu, Ataru and Ten frantically trying to restrain Benten, who having been relieved of her gun almost at the onset, was now doing whatever she could to do serious harm to the fleeing Cherry. With the door open, Cherry saw his chance to escape this mad alien woman, and rushed past the surprised forms of Lum and Ran. Benten followed after him, but was tackled in front of the door by Ten, Ataru and Shinobu. "Ran, stay here!" Lum called and tore off after Cherry, who had sped straight for the access ladder. Lum followed after him. Benten was clawing and beating her captors. "Let me go, you fucking traitors! He sabotaged this ship and killed forty people! He's getting away! I've got to kill him!" With the help of Ran, Benten was dragged back into the room and the door was closed, and locked. "Damn you, Ten! Why'd you bring him here?! Why didn't you just blow him away! I've got to kill him!" "Now, now Benten," Ten said in a calmer voice, "that's no way to talk. He did nothing you wouldn't have done, if you thought it would do any good." "What?!" "He struck a blow against the Uruseian Empire. I thought that's what you wanted to do." "Yeah, but. . ." "I never would have considered you to be a proud defender of the Empire." "Well I . . ." "It does my Uruseian heart proud to see you so zealously go after a enemy of the Empire. Maybe we could get the Emperor to give you a medal." "Now cut that out!" Benten stood up, all the while glaring at Ten who just smiled back. "He just pissed me off, that's all. I have no love for the Empire." Ran looked up from the exchange and suddenly noticed the room that she was in and stood gawking at it. "I didn't know that there was such a room on the ship. Whose is it?" "Mine!" Ten said proudly. "I decorated it myself, like it?" "But this is in the upper command section?" Ten got up and brushed himself off. "Well you don't expect me to room with the peons, do you?" Then Ran noticed the other two surprises in the room. "You're not Uruseian, who are you?!" "That my dear Ran," Ten began, sitting it his favorite chair near the far corner of the room, "is our dear princess's dream lover, Moroboshi Ataru." Motioning to Ataru he said, "Introduce yourself, be polite." Ataru stood and bowed to Ran. "Moroboshi Ataru! I am pleased to meet you." Ran turned to Ten in shock, "This is the real Ataru?" Ten nodded. Ran looked at Shinobu. "And you're Shinobu, aren't you? Oh my! This can't be possible!" Ran fainted. "Oh, this is exciting," Benten said sarcastically while pouring herself a drink. Cherry was leading Lum quite a chase. He had explored much of the ducts and back ways of the ship and was making use of this knowledge now. Fortunately, Lum knew the ship much better, and she was younger. Catching him was just a matter of time. Because they were taking back ways the chase went almost unobserved. However, in a chase involving the princess it only took one witness to send word across the empire. There had been more than one witness already. There would be much explaining to do. Lum had considered more than once, while chasing Cherry, letting Benten kill him. The monk was causing a great deal of trouble. He had to be gotten under control. Lum felt she could almost reach out and get him, when he turned a sharp corner. He was making his way back to the shuttle bay. Undoubtedly he had explored that area the best. Cherry took a few more turns and stretched his lead somewhat. Still, all Lum needed was one more straightaway. Cherry turned another corner. Lum heard a dull thud and a high pitched yelp of surprise. Cherry had run into someone. Lum turned on the speed. She wasn't going to give him time to regain his balance. Lum turned the corner, but stopped short. Her mouth hung open. Cherry was pinned to the ground by someone whom Lum didn't expect to see, but knew. "Sugoi?" {End of Part 4} Alt-Urusei Yatsura V "Dream a Little Dream with Me" __________________________ "Everything is unraveling before I've even started!" Lum shouted while pacing back in room 912A. "You should have let me kill him," Benten commented while gulping down her drink. Security had arrived shortly after Sugoi pinned Cherry down. The report was that the princess had uncovered the spy and needed assistance. Cherry was taken into custody, and was currently in the brig awaiting interrogation. Interrogation was the last thing that Lum wanted to permit, but stalling Cherry's case would bring the crew close to mutiny. Lum, as a good commander, was quite aware of the edgy mood of her crew. The forestalled invasion and waiting around Earth had already disrupted their routine and was straining relations, but the sabotage had galvanized everyone. The crew wanted blood. The discovery that the saboteur was indeed a Terran raised the volume of the invasion cry to a fever pitch. Lum couldn't ignore her crew. No one knew about Ataru or Shinobu, yet, but Sugoi was now on board. That was the worst news of all. Sugoi, Rei's little sister, bore little resemblance to the dull- witted pilot. Sugoi was sharp, and not easy to manipulate. Even Ten feared her. She had a reputation throughout the Empire for ferreting out secrets, and Lum knew that she was not here on a simple family visit. She was sent by the families to find out what was going on. Cherry picked the worst person in the galaxy to choose to bump into. "Things have taken a bad turn," Ten said, "but they're not hopeless. We still have a lot of cards to play." "That won't last long once they get all that Cherry knows," Lum said. "But won't you be leading the interrogation?" Ataru asked. Ten took a breath. "We have a very thorough method of interrogation. In the same way that we write information to the brain, we can read it as well. Uruseian interrogations last about five minutes, and then investigators will pour over everything that Cherry knows downloaded into the computer." "What will happen to Cherry?" Shinobu asked. "Shortly after they sift his brain, " Benten proclaimed, "they'll take him to the large fighter bay... " "Benten please don't," Lum interrupted. Benten looked hard at Lum. "She has a right to know what you Uruseians do to slaves and traitors. After all it might be our turn next." Lum said nothing. She just lowered her head and turned away. Benten continued her narration. "They'll take him to the fighter bay and display him naked in front of the assembled crew. Force beams will them gently lift him into air and then when he's high enough, the beams, amidst screams of agony, will rend him to bloody pieces." Shinobu's mouth hung open, her face had gone quite pale. Ataru was also shocked. Ten and Ran just lowered there heads. "Why?" Ataru asked. Lum sighed. "To make him an example. To satisfy our need for revenge." "It's horrible!" Shinobu exclaimed, "What kind of animals are you?" Lum turned to Shinobu and met her eyes. "We're a violent people. I make no bones about it, as you are. We studied your planet before we came. I think what your own people did to another nation, you call China, little more than two generations ago could easily be comparable to our method of execution." "But that was fifty years ago!" Shinobu protested. "We're not like that any more." "Aren't you?" Lum questioned. "Perhaps all you need is another opportunity." Lum suddenly recalled the faces of Kakugari and the others and shivered. She drew a breath. "What do you think your people would do to me if they ever caught me." Shinobu lowered her head. "All this philosophy is pointless!" Benten exclaimed standing. "The Uruseian method of execution is horrible. Horrible enough that I think we should be spending more time figuring out how to make sure we're not next!" "Aren't we going to try and save Cherry?" Ataru asked. "Cherry made his own bed. He deserves what's coming to him," Benten stated flatly. "But if we don't rescue him," Ataru offered, "They'll sift his brain and find us out." "If Cherry escapes," Lum returned, "They'll be nothing I can do to stop the fleet from annihilating all life on Earth." "But I thought you're the princess," Shinobu said. "No power is absolute," Lum said, "I just can't run over the wishes of my crew. I'd lose their respect, and their loyalty." Suddenly Ten began to chuckle. Everyone looked at him. "You find something fucking amusing?" Benten said coldly. Ten smiled broadly at her. "Yes," he simply, and continued to chuckle to himself. "Well, what is it?" Ran asked. "Oh nothing," Ten said leaning back further in his chair. His over-confident smile was really beginning to get on Lum's nerves. Ten continued, "I think I've just figured out a way to save Cherry, save us, get Sugoi off our backs before she even starts, deal the families a harsh blow, and save the Earth, all in one stroke. Interested?" "Ten, so help me! Tell us!" Lum shouted. Everyone in the room was reaching a boiling point. Ten knew this and was enjoying it. He looked around at the anxious and angry faces and calculated whether he could get away with one more delay before someone lunged at him. Benten looked to be his most agitated listener. He was certain that she would go for his throat, or at least crush the glass that she was already holding far too tightly. It belonged to an expensive set. He didn't want to lose it. "Well," he began, "I'd be lying if I said that this was an original idea. I believe it was Redet Tel, my great grandfather, who first . . ." "Ten," Lum interrupted, "please." "Okay, what if it turned out that Cherry wasn't an Earth saboteur at all, but was sent by Pochik Vel." "Who's Pochik Vel?" Ataru asked. "An old gnarly cantankerous geezer who delights in foiling the plans of Azu Des," Ten explained. Ran spoke up, "But Cherry is from Earth, you can't lie to a mind sift." "Of course you can!" Ten exclaimed gleefully. "Machines are the easiest of all to lie to, because they are so trusting. They believe whatever information you feed them." Lum started to smile as she ran through the possibilities in her head. "Cherry's interrogation is in less than two tenths. Can you arrange everything by then?" "Please," Ten said with feigned injury, "I'm hurt. I'll need Ataru to help me." "What can I do?" Ataru said incredulously. "I need you to explain the plan to Cherry and get him to trust us." "What if Sugoi sees him while you both are roaming about the halls?" Lum asked. "Maybe the princess should welcome our guest aboard ship properly and give her a tour, and afterwards maybe have dinner with her," Ten suggested. "After all you'll be sisters soon," he paused. "We do need to start now." Lum thought briefly. "Okay." Ten smiled and got out of his chair. "Ataru, my lad, the empress commands." Ataru got up, as did Shinobu. "One is dangerous, two is impossible," Ten said to Shinobu. Shinobu was about to protest, but Ten turned on his silkiest voice and took Shinobu's hand. "My dear, the thought of someone as beautiful as you possibly being captured is too great for my heart to bear. Someday I wish to walk together among the gardens of your world and talk of more pleasant things, but today I must work, which I could not do forever thinking that you could be in danger." Shinobu was taken by surprise and stood stunned. She felt almost hypnotized by him. She sat down quietly rubbing the hand that he had held. Benten made a noise of disgust, and turned away from the scene. When Ten walked by her to go out, he lean over and said quietly, "Jealous." He and Ataru were out the door before she could react. Lum turned to Ran. "Ran, go find Sugoi and tell I want to meet with her in half a tenth to welcome her properly to the ship. Tell her that she is invited to eat with me afterwards, and the dress will be formal. That should give her something to do." Ran stood. "My lady, and what of Rei? Is he invited also?" "No, tell her it's a night for future sisters to get to know one another." "Yes, my lady," Ran said and went to leave. "And Ran you do know to behave yourself while she's here?" Lum called after her. "Yes, my lady," Ran said, obviously a little disappointed, and continued out the door. Benten stood up, obviously excited. "This is great, a plan. What do I get to do?" "And me?" Shinobu said standing. "You're not going to leave me alone here." Lum studied both their faces, especially Benten's. She remembered the simpler times, such a short while ago when she could just sit and talk with Benten about conquests that she never thought would happen. She wished they could sit and talk so freely again. She looked at Shinobu. She guessed that Shinobu probably felt like loose baggage. Everyone had something to do except Shinobu, who was just waiting to be sent home . . . alone. Lum felt for Shinobu's loneliness. She felt it herself. Here she had her dream in the flesh, on the ship with her, but she was still lonely, because she couldn't claim him. She looked around the room briefly, as plush as it was it was still a prison. Ataru was a pet that she had to keep in a cage. He was less than a slave. She looked up at Benten who was waiting patiently for an answer. "Benten," Lum said finally, "I want you to sneak Shinobu down to the surface. I'll tell command that you're following up a lead about Cherry. Get back quick in case all hell breaks loose." Benten saluted, "Right. Come on Shinobu, at least you'll be safe." Shinobu, when she heard Lum's words was surprised to find herself torn. Up until that time she was ready to go, but now she felt as if she was deserting everyone when it was most critical. Benten was making her way to the door quickly, anxious to unload at least one of their problems. Shinobu stopped in front of Lum, and met her eyes. They exchanged a conversation of silent words. "It was good to have really met you," Shinobu said. "And you." "You'll see to it that Ataru is safe," Shinobu asked. "I love him more than my own life," Lum answered. "And you'll visit when everything is straightened out," Shinobu asked. Benten was becoming impatient at the door. "I'll invite you to my world for the wedding." Shinobu smiled, "I like weddings." Benten rolled her eyes, and started tapping her foot. "Any fucking time now!" Shinobu went to Benten and they left. Lum just stood and watched them go. At least Shinobu would be safe, she thought. Lum also left. She had much to do. * * * * * Ataru and Ten crawled through air ducts toward the prison area. They passed sensor after sensor, security sensors which Ten had long ago disabled. It is always a good idea for a thief to have a prepared way out or into the local prison. Ten tossed a small stun field grenade down to the guard below, and reset the cameras to Cherry's cell to play a loop. With everything set they dropped quietly into Cherry's cell. Cherry glanced briefly at them, but said nothing. Ataru and Ten exchanged looks. "You'd think he'd at least be a little happy to see us," Ten said. Ataru went to Cherry. "Cherry," he said, "we've come to help you." Cherry studied Ataru coldly. "I am prepared to die." All the memories of how much Ataru disliked the monk came rushing back. "Well I'm not! When they interrogate you they'll find out about Shinobu and me and then we'll all die. Do you want to let Shinobu die too?" "Do you see the wisdom of fighting these aliens now? Do you renounce your demon?" "It's more complicated than that," Ataru explained. "There are good aliens and bad aliens." Cherry looked at Ataru quizzically and then at Ten and the scanning headset he was holding. "You want to try and brainwash me again, don't you?" "No, now listen, we're trying to save you. I don't totally understand this, but their going to read your brain, and then change the record so that it says you're not from Earth, and then when the soldiers come to read your mind we'll give them the changed record. This way they won't blame the Earth for what you did." "I'm proud of what I did, and the Earth should get credit for it. I'm tired of hearing your lies Moroboshi, and yet you are pitiable because you are just being controlled. Don't worry, if you survive this war, I'll . . ." Cherry was cut off when Ten came up and hit him over the back of the head with the butt of his gun. Ataru looked questioningly at Ten, who smiled back at him. "I wanted at least try reason, though I never thought it would work. Come on, time is short. Sit him up." Ataru sat the unconscious Cherry up and Ten placed the reading device on his head. "It'll take five thousandths to get a full reading. I hope we have time." "I knew he was stubborn," Ataru began, "but I thought that eventually we'd be able to convince him." Ten looked up from the controls of the headset at Ataru, "Perhaps you're have so much trouble convincing him because you don't quite believe it yourself?" "You're saying that maybe I don't really trust you and Lum." "Do you?" "She's not the Lum I remember in the dreams. That Lum laughed more. This one doesn't." Ten finished setting the helmet and it began to hum quietly performing its programmed task. Ten went and sat next to Ataru who had set down on the cell's only wall mounted bench. "All we can do it wait for the machine to finish." Ten glanced around at the walls of the cell and shivered. "Prison cells and me just don't get along." He looked at the brooding Ataru. "Lum's had a hard life. Her family made her enter the military academy when she was barely thirteen. She never had much of a childhood, there were always lessons. She learns very well, too well. She might of had more of a childhood, if she wasn't such a good student." "But the Lum I dreamt about. . ." "Is the Lum that she's always wanted to be. This Lum that you've discovered is meant to marry Rei, but the Lum that she wants to be is meant to be with you. That's why she wants you so badly. Her heart called out to you across the light-years for you to save her from this life." "I'm not saving her from this life, she bringing me into it. Here I am already breaking into a prison on a alien spaceship." "And loving it!" Ten completed brightly, but realized in Ataru's eyes that this really wasn't the time. He continued in a more serious voice, "but this isn't Lum's life. The old Lum followed rules. This is part of breaking the mold." "I thought this was just an act of desperation," Ataru said. "It is, but a calculated one. There are going to be a lot more of them too. You don't want your life to be boring do you?" Ataru thought. "Not boring, just a little safer." "Safe is boring," Ten said quickly and stood. "The machine should be about done." Jariten checked the controls of the machine. It was still reading information, but it was about to the end of its cycle. There was a beep and the headset turned quiet. Ten removed it and laid the monk down on the bench. "There. Now a little editing, and I just have to make sure that I'm available for the real interrogation. "We have to go back to the room now, don't we?" Ataru asked as Ten reached to open the ceiling panel. "You don't like my room?" Ten asked after he had climb up. Ataru was very surprised at how agile the portly man was. Ataru, himself had a much more difficult time pulling himself up. Once he was up, he said, "It's a nice room and all, but I never get to leave." Ten went to repair the cell's cameras. "Ahh, I can understand your dilemma. I hate being cooped up. I have been working on a few solutions." * * * * * Ran delivered her message to Sugoi. Sugoi was studying a computer monitor when Ran came in. It was a full minute before she looked up and smiled at Ran. "Hello," she said. "Hello, mistress Seq," Ran said shyly. "Can I do something for you?" Sugoi asked. Ran took a breath. "The mistress Redet desires your company for a tour of the ship, and a formal dinner afterward in the royal dining hall." "Does she?" Sugoi asked, standing. "How interesting. I would think with alien spies on her flag ship she wouldn't have time to entertain guests." Ran didn't like Sugoi's tone. It made her nervous. It was cattish, as if Sugoi had found some revealing information that she was prepare to attack with. "She's quite busy to be sure, mistress," Ran offered, "but she wanted me to convey that she felt it equally important for future sisters to get to know one another." "Future sisters? Funny she would think that was so important. My brother seems to feel that the Princess is no longer interested in marriage to the Seq family." Ran felt her blood chill. Sugoi had been talking to Rei. Of course, she would, she was his sister. This explained Sugoi's demeanor, but Ran wondered how much more Rei had said. Would he have betrayed Ran as well. Not, intentionally she felt, but then Rei wasn't very good at secrets. Ran chuckled, trying not to reveal her inner tension. She felt like an open book. "I'm sure he misunderstood, mistress. Both the Princess and Master Seq have been under such pressure lately, with the dreams and the spy. With me she talks of nothing but the Master and marriage." Sugoi smiled, "Perhaps he did misunderstand then. My family is very much looking forward to this marriage. If we thought something or someone might try to interfere with it, we'd have to take serious action." She knew. Rei had told her, or she had guessed from what he didn't say. Ran now realized why Ten had thought Sugoi was so dangerous. She had barely been here a few tenths and already she was making close guesses. Ran bowed. "Yes, mistress. The princess will come for you at point 65. She is looking forward to talking with you." "And I her." When Ran left Sugoi resumed studying the log records of the past week. They were generally unrevealing, which considering the momentous events that had taken place about this ship, told Sugoi much. She also didn't believe Ran for a second. It was well known that Redet Lum didn't like her brother, either politically or emotionally. If Lum talked about marriage to Rei, then she was talking about how to get out of it. And then there was Ran herself. Rei had not mentioned their evening tryst in so many words, but Sugoi knew her brother. He was preoccupied, and it didn't take too many questions to arrive at the truth at what he was preoccupied with. Sugoi was no fool. She knew that her brother liked to fool around, and it would probably continue after the wedding. This was not uncommon and not always frowned upon. Even the current Emperor had a mistress for when the Empress was not in the mood, but an affair before the wedding with the princess' personal servant was not something to be dismissed. A personal servant of the future Empress has too much to lose to risk displeasing the Empress with an affair with the future Emperor. Ran was known not to be a political fool. She had worked hard to get her current position. She had to have Lum's personal permission, if not encouragement, and that too spoke volumes to Sugoi. There was a lot of wholesome family politics going on here. Such was Sugoi's favorite meat. And Redet Jariten was here. He was probably orchestrating most of what was going on. Sugoi was looking forward to locking horns with him. Most of the rest of the family leaders thought he was some spoiled family embarrassment, but Sugoi knew better. She had already dealt with him indirectly. Sugoi was already certain that there was no outside control going on here. The Princess was planning for her own interests, not for those of some alien planet. This then opened up a lot of questions that needed to be answered. Did they have the secret of dream control? Why was Lum protecting Earth? How did the terran spy get on board? Was there someone that she was going to replace Rei with? And what was Lum doing that she needed to detain Sugoi for the evening? That was the most obvious. "A time for future sisters to get to know one another," Sugoi mocked. It was all she could do not to burst out laughing in front of Ran. Lum simply needed Sugoi out of the way, and this was the best way of doing it. Sugoi would have like to find out what was going on, but the Princess called and Sugoi must obey. She would have to let Lum have her move for now. She began taking off her clothes. "Computer: time?" she called. "Point 62:19," the computer responded. She didn't have too much time. She hoped there was a real water shower, instead of one of those cleansers. The cleansers did a fine job. Soap and water couldn't hope to get one as clean as the complete sterilization process that the cleanser offered, but Sugoi much preferred the feel of warm water pelting bare flesh. On a warship, a water shower was quite a luxury, because of the need for water conservation, but the upper rooms of family flag ships often had them. Removing the last of her clothes, Sugoi entered the adjoining bathroom, and was delighted to find that it was indeed a water shower. She certainly couldn't fault Lum for her hospitality. As she washed herself she thought of her upcoming meeting with Lum and which questions were likely to produce the most revealing answers. * * * * * Benten busily strapped Shinobu into the back seat of her fighter. Shinobu felt trapped underneath the flight suit, helmet and the belts. She was snugly contained. She wondered if she would be able to fight off the claustrophobia when the canopy closed. On her lap she held a package that contained the dress that she had worn in Ten's room. She couldn't wear it with the jump suit. It was a beautiful dress and she was glad that she was allowed to keep it. Benten finished tying the last belt and Shinobu heard her voice in her helmet. "I want you to know that you are the only person besides Lum that I've ever let ride in my bike," there was a pause. "You and Ataru, you're okay." "Thank you," Shinobu said politely. "Yeah right," Benten said and got into her own seat. She began strapping herself in and making the pre-flight checks. Shinobu looked out at the flight bay, and then forward to the view of open space and the Earth below them. It was beautiful, and also menacing that she was here with these people, these invaders, to look at it. She tried to take account of where she was and what she was doing. It had all moved so fast. She was actually leaving Ataru, possibly forever. She was being taken back down to Earth, her home, but how could she ever live any kind of normal life now. She thought about how she would be received at home. She thought about her parents. How could she tell people that she had spent the last two days on an alien space ship. They'd believe her, of course. The invasion was all the proof she needed. But how could she get them to believe the rest of it? Shinobu was startled out of her thought by the roar of the engines starting. The canopy slowly came down and she felt her stomach tie itself in knots. She heard Benten's voice again over the din. "I just want to tell you what's going to happen so you won't be too scared. The first thing, I'm going to lift up and accelerate out the hangar doors. I try to take it slow, but my bike's got a lot of kick to him. You're still going to be shoved back into your seat. Once we clear the fleet then it gets easy. I'm just going to use the planet's gravity and coast down. We'll be in free fall. Unlike the shuttle you rode up in, a fighter doesn't have artificial gravity so you'll start to feel very light. It's a great feeling, your boobs tingle. Anyway, once we get low enough in the atmosphere I'll turn the engines back up and we'll find a place to land." "You're welcome to come to my parents house and get something to drink," Shinobu offered. "I don't really think that'd be a good idea, do you?" "I suppose not," Shinobu said thinking about on and suddenly felt the ground move. The engines revved higher and she could see that they were lifting into the air. Everything was vibrating. The fighter turned toward the open door. Shinobu felt a kick amidst the engine roar and the opening rushed toward them. Shinobu had expected to be pushed back into her seat like Benten had said, but she was only prepared for the comparatively gentle acceleration that a car might offer. Instead she felt her whole body flatten to the point that thought she might be crushed, and then as suddenly as it had started, it stopped. The engines quieted down to a dull hum, and all pressure disappeared from her body. They were in open space, with the giant Earth looming before them. Shinobu could feel them falling toward it. It was a frightening, out of control feeling. They just kept falling and falling, but the Earth didn't seem to be approaching them too quickly. Shinobu tried to get herself to relax with the falling feeling. "Isn't it a great feeling?" she heard Benten call. "It's so strange," Shinobu admitted. "Yeah!" Benten agreed and then changed her tone, "Mind if I ask you a personal question?" "No," Shinobu responded, a little apprehensive. "How 'cum you're letting him go so easy?" Shinobu opened her mouth to answer, but then closed it. She looked out to the side. Underneath the clouds of the approaching Earth, she saw the island group known to English speakers as Japan. The answer was easy enough. Ataru didn't want her anymore, but it hurt too much to say. The fact simply was that he dumped her. She thought about her fits of jealousy and how she still took him for granted, even when the dreams began. She couldn't help but think if she had been a little more tender, a little more giving perhaps he would have stayed with her, or maybe he wouldn't have dreamt at all. Perhaps it was he needed someone else so much, that's what started the dreams. Benten listened to Shinobu's silence. It was answer enough. "It hurts quite a bit, doesn't it?" "Hmm," Shinobu said in agreement. "Hell!" Benten said, attempting to cheer Shinobu up. "You're not a bad looker, ya know. There's lots of guys in the universe." "Do you have a guy?" Shinobu asked. "No," Benten said feeling a little on the defensive herself. "I rarely ever get home, and I don't hang around with Uruseians. There hasn't been much opportunity." "Why do you fight for the Uruseians if you don't like them." Benten laughed. "I've often asked myself that question. It comes down to that they're the only game in town. Being a fighter pilot is in my blood. I don't know what else I could do. Sometimes, especially after taking another planet, I want to run, but then my bike calls me back. But it's okay, Lum's going to change things. Maybe in a year or so, maybe, I'll be fighting for something I believe in. Then those bastards with really see some piloting!" "It's hard to go back down, knowing what I know now." "Oh?" "The world is so much bigger. I trust Lum to leave the Earth alone, but I think I feel like Ataru in a way. I died in the invasion. I can't imagine going back to school day in and day out and forgetting what I've seen and heard." "Not ready to bury your head in the sand, huh? I can respect that. But it's not safe for you back on the ship. There's not much you could do, anyway. You don't know how to fight, or pilot a ship. You don't know anything of family politics." "I'd be in the way, you mean," Shinobu stated flatly. "I didn't want to put it that way, but yes, or least for now." They had begun to enter the thicker part of the atmosphere. The fighter rocked in the turbulence. Benten turned on the engines. She fighter jerked forward, and they began controlled flight towards Tokyo. Shinobu didn't want to accept being in the way. She tried to think of ways she could be useful. "The fleet's going to be in orbit a few weeks, right?" Shinobu asked. Benten became worried. "Yes," she said cautiously. "Well, then," Shinobu said, "you could teach me how to be a pilot." "No I fuckin' couldn't! How could I convince anyone that I needed to go down to Earth everyday to teach one of the natives to be a fighter pilot!" "There must be some way. I want to help." "There's no way! Look when things calm down, I promise to come and get you, all right, but it's going to be months before I could risk it. You need to sit tight." Shinobu was about to protest when an alarm sounded. "Damn natives!" Benten shouted in response. "What?" "Oh, one of your fucking militaries shot a bunch of missiles at us. Hold on! They're not much of a threat, but it's going to get a little rough." When Benten finished her sentence, she kicked in full atmospheric acceleration, and pulled up. The missiles tried to follow, but where left far behind. One by one their fuel supplies gave out and they fell into the water. "Assholes! This is going to be a little more difficult than I thought. Normally I'd just wipe out the launchers, but I suppose neither you nor Lum would approve." Shinobu remained silent. Despite what Benten said about being in little danger she had tensed up in full realization that people were trying to kill her. "Hold on! I'm going to whip around the city and fly in low, coming from the other direction, maybe that will throw them off!" The fighter dove down and accelerated faster. They passed over the island in a matter of seconds. When they crossed the sea of Japan, Benten looped the ship around and dove to only a few meters above the water. Shinobu fought between terror and exhilaration. "You okay back there!?" Benten called. "Yeah. I think so. Aren't you worried are running into something?!" "Hah! At this speed, if we did, you'd never feel it! We're pretty safe over the water! I bet we're making quite a wake. I'll pull up some when we hit land." "Mount Fuji's between us and Tokyo." "Oh shit! I forgot about that stupid mountain. Hang on!" Benten lifted the fighter up a little as they came over land. She banked it hard to the right. Houses and trees sped under them in a constant blur. Benten turned north. Mount Fuji loomed up to their left. Benten began decelerating. "I'd like to see them get a missile lock on us now." She started to slow to a speed that Shinobu considered reasonable as the outskirts of Tokyo passed under them. "Maybe you should drop me off away from the city, just the same?" Shinobu suggested. "No way! No one's going to make me land anywhere, but where I want to land! I'll put you down, exactly where I picked you up." Soon they were over familiar territory. The fighter was almost hovering compared to the incredible speeds that they had experienced before. "Look's like they cleaned up the bodies," Benten commented looking down at the streets. Shinobu had forgotten about the destruction, but there it was again. There were people in the streets, but they ran into their homes as the ship passed over. "I believe that was the street," Benten said pointing to the intersection where Lum had landed her shuttle two days ago. She nudged the fighter over and descended. Once the fighter was on the ground, she opened the canopy. The street was empty, but Shinobu could feel eyes on them. Even more than in the fighter during the mad trip down, Shinobu felt afraid. "Well, here we are! You're home." Shinobu scanned the street. She was approaching terror. It wasn't right. "We're being watched," she said. "Damn straight! What'd you expect. They're still a little nervous, but they'll be glad to see you. However, the sooner I get out of here the better. So everyone out! You never know what natives will do when they're nervous." Shinobu nervously began to climb out, when suddenly, armed men appeared out of all the houses. "Damn natives," Benten whispered. She quickly assessed the type and number of weapons trained on them. Most of it was nothing of consequence, small projectile rifles. They would bounce of the fighter's armor. However, there were a couple with what might have been missile launchers. She wasn't as certain about the missiles. Shinobu could feel Benten's anger. She saw her hand go quickly to her blaster, but she didn't draw it. Shinobu recognized most of the faces around her. She thought about what this must look like to them. Shinobu was a guest in an enemy ship. "Shinobu?" she heard someone say. "Megane? Please don't shoot." "So you're serving them too," Megane said moving to where Shinobu could see him. "No. I was accidentally taken with Ataru, they're just bringing me back. They've decided to leave the Earth alone." "Sure, they'd figured they'd just kill a few thousand of us and then leave us alone," Megane chided. There were a couple incredulous laughs from the crowd, in support of Megane. "If they had wanted to finish the invasion, they'd have won already," Shinobu argued, but to deaf ears. "What's going on?" Benten asked in Uruseian. "Not much, but I don't think they're going to let us go," Shinobu responded. "I wasn't considering giving them a choice," Benten said dangerously. "Benten please don't . . ." "When did you learn to speak their language?" Megane asked suspiciously. "They have a machine that teaches you," Shinobu said. "Ah, a magic language machine, of course," Megane said jokingly while pushing up his glasses. "Where is the traitor!" he demanded, "and where is Cherry." "They're still on the ship." "The nice aliens just thought they would bring you down. Perhaps you forgot your hairbrush." It was obvious and sad to Shinobu that everyone had already made up their minds. Shinobu too, now had been branded a traitor. Why didn't she just let Ataru leave on the shuttle, she asked herself Just then, a military jeep rolled up the street. Professor Onsenmark was in it. He pulled up along side of the fighter. He got out, and briefly studied the ship. He consulted briefly with Megane and then turned back to the fighter passengers. "Both of you get out of there! Slowly!" he barked. "They want us to get out," Shinobu told Benten. "Curse me for a fool! I should have known not to land on a planet that wasn't firmly subdued." "Could we fly out of here?" "No, by the time the canopy closed, we'd have a missile in the side. I can't believe I'm going to die on the fucking ground." "I don't think they'll kill us," Shinobu offered. "It's not them. I can't let them have my fighter. I'm going to self-destruct." "No! I'm sure I can talk them into letting you go. Give me a chance. Think of Lum!" Benten turned and studied Shinobu's eyes. She sighed, push a couple buttons, and then put her hands on her head. She stood slowly. Her eyes showed nothing, but contempt which didn't sit well with their captors. * * * * * At the time that she had scheduled, Lum stood before the guest room door. Ran had gone out of her way once again to dress Lum up. Lum felt made up and constricted, but the gown was gorgeous. She was disturbed about what Ran had said Sugoi already knew, but at least the data trade on Cherry's scan had gone well. She thought that it should be interesting to see what the reaction to the news would be. Lum pressed the door bell. The door opened revealing Sugoi, also dressed in a gown. Sugoi was a few years younger than Lum, but she already had a mature figure. Only her eyes betrayed her true age. "Hiya princess," Sugoi said smiling. "I glad you decided to take time off to spend with me. You must be really busy running the fleet and all. Especially with spies and saboteurs." "Uh yeah. Thank you for helping me capture him." Sugoi giggled. "He just ran into me. If I had known he was a dangerous spy, I don't know what I would have done." Lum nodded, smiling. Inside she was rolling her eyes. Sugoi had him pinned in less than a second. Lum didn't know how long she was going to be able to take Sugoi's cute persona. "Let's start with the bridge," Lum said. Lum gave Sugoi the general tour. Sugoi responded to everything that Lum showed with almost genuine enthusiasm. If Lum didn't know better she would have thought it was genuine. Sugoi was polite and attentive. She was the perfect audience. Lum had to fight to keep from falling into the trap of believing that this was the real Sugoi. She knew that if she did, then she would be easy prey for a few calculated innocent sounding questions, which were Sugoi's most powerful tool. Ten disarmed people by making them think that he was a loser. Sugoi, on the other hand, disarmed people by making them think that she was young and innocent. It was difficult not to like her, although you knew that you shouldn't dare. She was dangerous. Finally after the tour, Lum lead Sugoi to the dinner hall. The table was already set for them. Sugoi glided in the room, her face glowing. "This is just like the hall in the palace!" she enthused. "Except for the view, of course," Lum said following Sugoi in. Sugoi smiled back at Lum, "Of course, it does lose a little without the sunuka trees in the afternoon sun." "Yes, they're what I miss most about being off planet so much," Lum said and remembered a time when she was young, and allowed to play in the afternoon, only having to take lessons in the morning. She would run through the great garden of the imperial palace. It was only five acres. Small in comparison to some of the gardens of the other families. None of the emperors, for some reason, had ever seen fit to expand it. But in any case, to a five year old Lum, it was enormous, with endless places for her to hide from her nanny. While she was hiding, she would often spend time with one of the gardeners, Leleel. He was a slave and Benten's grandfather. Lum really wasn't allowed to talk with him, but she couldn't stay away from his stories. Lum met Benten when she came to visit him once. They played until Lum's nanny finally found her. Lum was scolded and told strongly that persons of her blood should never associate with slave children. When Benten came to visit her grandfather a second time, and again Lum was found playing with the slave girl, the old gardener lost his job. Lum cried for the whole day when she found out. It was probably spite that caused her to transfer Benten to Lum's flag ship once she found out that Benten was a fighter pilot. At the time, it was a child's way of getting back at her parents. She never thought that a real friendship would ever grow. Lum thought about her relationship with Benten. It had changed her greatly. Looking at Sugoi and who she really was, Lum realized how much of her old self was in Sugoi. Lum suddenly found herself feeling sorry for Sugoi. Sugoi studied the pictures on the wall and stopped at Yon Onhu. She turned to Lum. "She is my favorite," she said. "No one told her what to do!" Lum stopped short. Alarms were going on in her head. Did Sugoi know about Lum's own feelings for the ancient Empress, or did she really have an interest? She very well could be trying to find where Lum's heart was by using the example of the Empress who successfully rebelled against the traditional path laid out for her. Lum decided not to reveal her hand in this matter. "They all were great in their own way. They forged an empire," Lum said and wanted to hit herself. It was a line straight out of a history textbook. Sugoi shot an incredulous look at Lum. "Your stories are similar in many ways, you and the Empress, except your father is still alive and will probably not leave the throne for many years." Lum caught that statement. There must have already been rumors of her father stepping down. It was obvious that Lum was going to have to work as hard to find out what Sugoi knew, as Sugoi with Lum. Lum answered casually, "Yes, my father is still in fine health, thank the spirits. Come sit down." Lum went to her seat and motioned for one of the servants to escort Sugoi to hers. Sugoi was courteously seated and the two young women faced each other across the table. "I had always understood," Sugoi began opening a napkin, "that you had a rather valuable collection of personal artifacts which had belonged to the Empress Onhu." "I have some things. The palace is full of old memorabilia. I am actually more curious about what brings you here, Sugoi. There was no word of your journey. Rei never mentioned any plans." "My brother is notorious for not talking very much," Sugoi began. Lum had to force back a laugh. Sugoi continued, "I hadn't seen my brother in awhile and thought I would come and visit. If I had heard that you were having so many difficulties, though, I would have stayed away. As it is, I'll probably be leaving early. I wouldn't want to be in the way." "Nonsense," Lum said smiling and raising a glass to Sugoi, "you've already helped us catch a spy." Sugoi smiled back, offering her glass, "But even there I was just in the way. I guess that's the only thing that I'm good at." Sugoi shot Lum a knowing wink. Lum took a drink from her glass, but never took her eyes off Sugoi. {End of Part 5} Alt-Urusei Yatsura VI Was It Just A Dream? ________________________ Shinobu laughed, despite herself and her predicament, at the place where she and Benten were being held. She had been in here before. It used to be where the school's sports equipment was kept. Looking around herself, at the familiar surroundings, she had trouble coming to grips with the fact that she was a prisoner. For Benten the concept was far easier to grasp and she didn't like it at all. For their guard, even though he was armed and Benten was not, he felt that he was the one in mortal danger every time he dared to glance in Benten's direction. He tried his best to ignore her constant malevolent stare, but it was difficult. He couldn't wait for his shift to end. "You just wait," she whispered to him, her eyes fixed in a cold stare that she had been maintaining for an hour. "I know ways of torture that even make me ill." The guard had no idea what Benten was saying, but it didn't matter. With her tone of voice, she could have been talking about banana split toppings and the guard would still be sweating. "You're not helping us, Benten," Shinobu said in Uruseian. "No, but I'm having a lot of fun watching him sweat. They're lucky that I didn't tear out a few throats when they put me in this cage." "That would have got us killed," Shinobu protested. Benten turned hard on Shinobu, "Look sister, the only reason I haven't tried anything is because you're here and I'm supposed to be taking care of you. Normally, I'd rather die than be captured by fucking natives!" Benten stood. To punctuate her feelings, she kicked hard at the thin wire door. Unexpectedly, this caused the door to swing open with a loud clank. The guard immediately stood and aimed his weapon. He was terrified. Benten smelled his fear and relished in it. She smiled at him, and pulled the door half shut. She knelt down and casually began to examine the busted lock. "You people call this a lock?" she asked Shinobu, while continuing her examination. Shinobu was getting nervous. She kept glancing at the guard, as he tried to figure out what he should do. "It wasn't meant to be a prison lock. It was meant to keep people from stealing the sports equipment." "Sports equipment?!" Benten laughed. "Shit!" Benten continued studying the lock assembly, apparently trying to figure out how to repair it. The guard lulled by her apparent disinterest in escaping, moved closer to investigate the lock for himself. In an instant Benten had his head in her hands. She was about to break his neck, when she made a quick glance at Shinobu. She muttered under her breath and shoved the guard's head against the cage mesh repeatedly until he fell limp. Shinobu stood, putting her hand over her mouth. She stared down at the crumpled body of the guard in shock. Benten looked up at Shinobu and rolled her eyes. "I didn't kill him, sheesh! Do you want to fucking escape or not?" "Where can we go? You sent your fighter back up to the fleet." Before Benten gave up, she had programmed her fighter to return on its own to the fleet. She wasn't about let those "primitives" paw her bike. There was quite a stir when, after she and Shinobu had left the fighter, the canopy closed and the ship took off. She had programmed it to fly at its maximum acceleration, which is far faster that a humanoid could tolerate, though Benten had pushed it a few times. The ship was gone before anyone had time to aim. She got a rifle butt in the gut for that, but she didn't care. No one touches her bike. She was worried, though, about the reactions that her bike would receive when it returned without its pilot. Lum didn't need any more problems to straighten out, but Benten couldn't see any alternatives. Sneaking out of the school was not very difficult. Shinobu knew the best way out, and Benten silenced any opposition they encountered. It takes more than a couple days to make a boy into a soldier. Those stationed to guard the school were ill-prepared for Benten's speed and skill. Benten relieved the first prison guard of his gun. She hated having to use something so archaic, but a weapon was a weapon. When they came to the second sentry, who was at the top of the stairs to the ground floor, Benten took him out with a quick hit to the back of the neck. She took his weapon as well and offered it to Shinobu, who refused it. "What the hell's the matter with you!" Benten whispered loudly. "You think this is a game? We're fugitives! Now the take the damn weapon!" "I couldn't kill anyone," Shinobu protested. Benten spat. "Do you want to die? Do you?! How long will it be, do you think, before the real soldiers get here once word gets out about me, huh? They're not going to put us in some sports equipment cage. I'll tell you that! You want to survive?! Do what I tell you and take the damn gun!" Shinobu hesitantly accepted the gun. "Fine," Benten said. "Now where do we go next?" After encountering a few more guards, all classmates of Shinobu, the pair reached the kitchen and a back delivery door. Benten opened the door a crack, and peeked through. The sun was still up, but setting. There were two jeeps parked a short distance from the door. One had a machine gun mount. Benten knew that they that had been extremely lucky so far. It wouldn't be long until the alarm went out. Darkness or no they had to make a break for it. She turned to Shinobu. "How far is it, until we're out of the city?" "Ten kilometers, probably more." Benten sighed and looked out the door again. The wall was very close. There were two dumpsters, a tree, and the jeeps. The rest was open space, and it would be an hour until it was dark enough to get around. Benten remembered that the planet had a moon, a fairly large one. She couldn't remember where it was in orbit. "How bright is that moon of yours?" "Bright, I guess." Shinobu answered, not really having a reference to compare it. "Shit!" Benten cursed, but then saw something that gave her a little hope, a thin crescent above the setting sun. Benten made a decision. She turned to Shinobu and smiled. "I hope you don't have a date tonight," she said. "What do you mean?" "Come on!" Benten said, threw open the door and ran to the dumpsters. Shinobu followed close behind, but stopped short. "We can't hide in there." "Why not?" Benten smiled back, but then became more serious. "No questions, all right? Do you trust me or don't you?" With that, Benten opened up the dumpster and climbed inside. It was half full with rotting food and torn up boxes. Shinobu hesitantly climbed in after her. "This is great!" Benten said. "We can bury ourselves under these boxes. They won't find us, unless they really get in and dig." "Bury ourselves in the garbage?" Benten grabbed the handle and began to close the door. "Yeah, trust me." Mendo sat up in the jeep where he had taken a break from his duties to watch the clouds go by. He looked at the dumpsters and smiled as the lid came to a close. Getting up, he retrieved his gun from the back seat and resumed his post by the jeeps. He began mentally preparing himself for what he was sure would be a grand adventure. Returning from her dinner with Sugoi, Lum found Ten waiting for her in her room. Lum was a bit surprised to find him there. She knew he could get in, because he occasionally left presents for her when he knew that she had had a particularly bad day with the generals, but still one doesn't expect to find someone waiting in one's personal quarters. * * * "Ten," Lum said in shock. "Lum, we have a problem," Ten said standing up. "The last I heard we had several problems." "You had better sit down for this one." Lum tensed up and suddenly noticed the unaccustomed seriousness in Ten's eyes. She sat down. "Benten's fighter came back empty." "What do you mean?" "It was placed on autopilot. We can only assume Benten has been captured, or worse." Lum stood. She couldn't think. "When did it return?" "Not more than a hundredth ago. I paid the hangar attendant to say, to anyone who asked, that Benten had returned and was with you." "I'm going to get her back." "That wouldn't be wise. You're too visible. You can't go rushing down to the planet again." Lum looked into Ten's eyes. "My heart says that this is more important than politics. I can't trust this to anyone else, even you." "You learn too fast, I'm afraid. That has always been your weakness." Lum offered a slight smile to Ten's chide. She went to the closet to gather a flight suit. "Look after Darling for me." "Ah, I think you should take him with you. He knows the area after all." "I know it too, and I won't risk him. I'm going to be changing now." Ten turned to leave and then offered. "Do you want a pet or a husband?" With that, Ten left. Lum stopped, stunned by Ten's parting statement. He was right as usual. She didn't want or need something else to look after. She had an empire to look after. She wanted someone to share her life with, and maybe look after her for a change. Still, though, she kept him locked up, safe. How quickly she had taken ownership of him. She picked up the weapon she was going to take. A simple energy discharge weapon, it could obliterate a living target at 100 meters and punch a good size hole in most armors. Benten had given it to her. She stepped over to the mirror. Lum was still dressed in the dinner dress, the finery of a princess, but in her hands she held the cold black weapon. She looked into her own eyes. They were cold, sad and determined. Where was her dream-self underneath the exterior she saw? She couldn't feel it. She couldn't find it. When she first found out that Ataru was alive and real, she thought that her life would be instantly transformed once she met him. She would be able to live in the dream forever, and forget the image she saw in the mirror. Ataru had been on the ship for over two days, and things were just getting worse. She wasn't getting any chance at all to spend time with him. She couldn't find a place in her life for her dream, no place at all. A tear formed in her eye. Ataru was back in Ten's room again. He was beginning to hate it, especially now that he was alone. Not even Shinobu was there to keep him company. He lay on the plush bed and stared up at the ceiling trim, musing over the intricate designs. He wondered if he was really doing anyone any good here. Where was Lum, and when would they ever have any time together? He turned over. Where was Lum? he thought. Where was the Lum he remembered? Jariten had said that there were two Lums, Ataru's and the one who was meant for Rei. He wondered when he would see his. Lum burst into the room. She wore a bulky pair of coveralls. On her right hand she held a folded garment, the same color as what she was wearing. "I'm going to Earth to rescue Benten and Shinobu, want to come?" "Rescue?! They've been captured?" Ataru stood. "I believe so. I'm going to find out. Coming?" Ataru smiled and nodded. It was seconds after Benten and Shinobu hid in the dumpsters that all the lights of the school turned on, and the typhoon alarm sounded. The escape had been discovered, and that was the best alarm they had. Onsenmark organized a complete search, but he assumed they had already left the grounds. He hoped that one of the patrols would run into them. It would be dark soon. He wondered what he'd tell the intelligence people that the government was sending if he lost the alien. He hoped that he hadn't. They didn't sound too forgiving on the phone. He himself went to check the jeeps. If they were going to escape, at least he could make sure that they were on foot. He rounded the corner and was surprised to find Mendo dutifully standing guard. In the last couple days, Onsenmark had discovered that Mendo daydreamed as much as a soldier as he had done as a student. Onsenmark strode over to Mendo, who saluted him. "Report," Onsenmark commanded. "Nothing out of the ordinary, sir!" "The prisoners have escaped. If they're not gone already they may try for the jeeps. Keep an eye out. I'll see if I can find someone to stand guard with you. Until then, if you see anything at all, fire into the air. Remember that the alien is dangerous." "Yes sir!" Onsenmark glanced around the still grounds. The sun had set and there was only a dim glow in the west now. Onsenmark tugged at his collar. He had to catch that alien. The government people were coming. He took a last look and once satisfied that everything was in order, entered the school to call on his patrols. Maybe they had found something. Mendo watched him disappear through the kitchen delivery door, and let out a breath. He checked to see if everything was clear. He had to work fast before Onsenmark sent the other guard. Mendo went over to the dumpster, and knocked on it three times. Then he whispered, "It's all clear. If we going to escape, it's got to be now." The dumpster remained silent. "I know you're in there. I watched you go in." That got some results. There were some muffled whispers and faster than he was prepared for, the lid of the dumpster opened and Mendo was staring down the barrel of Benten's rifle. There was no hesitation at all in her eyes. And no doubt in Mendo that she would fire. He froze and dropped his gun. Shinobu appeared next to Benten. She was dirty and a bit messed up. There were small pieces of paper garbage in her hair. She pulled them out and looked down at Mendo. "Why didn't you turn us in?" Shinobu asked curiously. All Mendo was concerned with was the gun pointed at his head. His eye's were vacant with fear. "Benten," Shinobu protested, "he protected us." "I'm not going to let my guard down again. Climb out slowly and head for the jeep, the one with the big gun, preferably. I'll make sure he doesn't try anything." Shinobu looked at Benten and then at Mendo. Mendo didn't look like he was capable of trying anything. He surprised her. He was always so sure of himself in his own little world. She'd never have believed that he would fall apart so quickly. She climbed out of the dumpster and brushed herself off. "There'll be time for that later," Benten hissed. "Get moving!" Shinobu felt sorry for Mendo. She took his hand, which he clenched tightly around hers. She led him away from Benten's gun. Benten, who was becoming furious, jumped out of the dumpster. Shinobu spoke in a soft voice to the petrified Mendo. "It's okay," she said, "Benten wasn't going to hurt you. Come over and set down. Tell me why you protected us." She was almost to the jeep when Benten grabbed her roughly by the arm. "What the hell do you think you're doing! I've told you already. Do what I tell you and no questions. I've half a mind to leave you here. Are you coming with me, or not?" Shinobu turned away. She set Mendo down gently in the passenger seat of the jeep, and then she turned back to Benten. "It wasn't necessary to pull a gun on him. These people were my friends and he was helping us!" Benten was about to speak when her eyes grew wide at something she saw behind Shinobu. "Down!" she called. Shinobu began to duck when a shot rang out. Shinobu jerked forward, falling on Mendo's lap. Benten leapt into the jeep, but couldn't figure out how to start it. "The alien must to be taken alive!" someone shouted. Benten grabbed her rifle and fired back at the approaching guard, hitting him in the leg. "Your friends," she hissed at the unconscious Shinobu. She quickly pulled Shinobu all the way into the vehicle and began shaking Mendo. "How do I start this damn thing!" Mendo started to come out of his stupor. "You bastard!" Benten kept yelling, as she heard more shouts off in the distance. The siren started up again. "How do I start this thing?!" Mendo looked at her wild-eyed, not understanding a word she was saying. In a weak voice Shinobu spoke up. "Push the pedal on the far end and turn the key under the wheel." Benten did as she said and the car started up. Shinobu took a deep breath and continued, "Hit the long pedal while letting up on the first one. We'll never be able to escape." "Watch me!" Benten did as Shinobu said. The car lurched forward with a jolt as Benten floored the gas pedal, and released the clutch. Then the car promptly stalled. "This damn thing's defective!" Benten said punctuating her statement by hitting the steering wheel. "It stalled. You have to do it, gradually." "Gradually," Benten repeated and reached for the key. "The clutch!" Shinobu interrupted. "The what?!" "The far pedal." Benten started the car. "'Clutch', 'gradually'," Benten sighed and gradually pressed the gas while releasing the clutch. The car lurched forward again. It rocked, and then started to move. Benten saw three guards running around the corner. "Fuck gradually!" She floored it again. The engine whined loudly, and went forward, though it was painfully slow for Benten. Benten swung the car around. There were five guards coming after them. Some of them were crouching to fire. She dodged wildly, taking the vehicle onto the grass. She couldn't just dodge, though. They had to get away. Benten studied the field and chose her route. The pedal was already floored. She was used to having speed at her command. This was excruciating. "Doesn't this thing go any faster?" she asked Shinobu, but Shinobu was no longer awake. Mendo, however, guessed from the whining engine that the alien warrior didn't know how to switch gears. They were being shot at. Benten was making for the gate, but it was far too slow. Even with Benten's weaving and dodging they would be hit again. Mendo fought nausea as he noticed Shinobu's sleeve grow redder and redder. He had to get control of himself. "Hit the clutch!" he called out in words unintelligible to Benten, except for one. "What?!" she said in her own language. "The clutch!" Mendo repeated and pointed to the pedal. "Hit the clutch!" Benten recognized the word, "clutch" because Shinobu had just used it. She pressed the pedal, and Mendo shifted from first to third gear. He tapped Benten on the shoulder. She took her foot off the pedal, and hit the gas. The tires squealed, and the jeep picked up some real speed. They sped through the gate, and out onto the street. "Clutch," Mendo said, and Benten obeyed. Mendo switched it into fourth, and tapped Benten's shoulder. She hit the gas, and shot an evil grin back at Mendo. She took a glance behind them. They were being followed by the other jeep. Only street lights lit their way and Benten cursed them. However, Benten looked at all the possible side streets ahead and knew that this wasn't a problem. They looked plenty dark, a veritable maze of darkness. She turned down one, and would have thrown Mendo out of the car if Shinobu wasn't lying on his lap. He looked down at Shinobu. She was breathing at least. Benten glanced over at Shinobu as well. She then glanced at Mendo. In a motion she clasped her left hand to her right arm and squeezed. Mendo understood, and searched for the wound. Upon finding it, he realized that it was in her arm. It wasn't as bad as it might have been. He applied pressure to the wound. Benten took another hard turn, and then another. With all the jostling, Shinobu woke up. She winced at the pain, and then looked up at Mendo. "Now you're a fugitive, too," she said weakly to him. "It'll be a great adventure." "Ah you're awake," Benten said. "What road do I take to get out of the city?" "I'm not sure where we are," Shinobu said trying to look up. She switched to Japanese, "Mendo, we need to get out of the city." "Is that where your space ship is?" "No," Shinobu asked. She felt herself going out again. "we need someplace to hide." Mendo smiled, "Well why didn't you say so." He tapped Benten on the shoulder and indicated for her to turn left. She did so, and asked, "Where is he taking us?" Shinobu was out again. After a couple blocks, Mendo directed her right. The streets were getting narrower and harder to navigate, but there were also fewer cars and people. Benten slowed. They had lost their pursuers. Benten studied their surroundings. Simple housing, not unlike pictures she'd seen of her own world before the Uruseians came. These people were primitives, but they were innocent primitives. Benten felt that was something very precious. She felt her hard edge melting away. She knew she could only do her job by maintaining a cold detachment toward the races she encountered. It had been easy. She stayed in her fighter. They conquered a planet, and in two or three days they moved on. It was sometimes longer, but not very. Benten never saw the people. It was her machine against theirs, and she always won. It was dangerous to let her beliefs and feelings interfere with her job, until the time was right. It wasn't right yet, but here she was already an enemy and a friend, a fugitive and a protector. She was involved. If Lum couldn't save these people and the invasion continued, Benten wasn't sure if she would be able to carry out her orders. That doubt was dangerous. Mendo guided them to a more sparsely populated part of the city, to an unkempt lot, and an abandoned garage. When Benten stopped the jeep, Mendo got out and opened the door. Benten drove in, and Mendo closed the door behind them. It was old and musty. A fog of dust floated in front of the headlights before Benten turned them off. The place was only lit by the light of a street lamp shining just outside a small window on a side wall. Mendo moved comfortably in the near darkness, and soon a candle was lit. "This is the Mendo family panic center," Mendo announced to whomever would listen. He added with a smile. "Whenever my parents put me into a panic I come here to be alone." He wiped his hand on the long tool bench where the candle was set. He looked at the result on his hand. "I'm afraid it is a little untidy, though. It's not really mine." Benten was ignoring Mendo's chatter. She tended to Shinobu. Unfortunately, she had none of the advanced first-aid equipment she carried on her fighter. The bullet apparently had passed through Shinobu's upper left arm. Benten believed that it missed the bone. It needed to be tended on the ship, but that wasn't an option. Benten made a quick search of the jeep and found the first-aid box. She didn't know what might be in any of the tubes. She opened one of the larger bottles and sniffed it. It was alcohol. Primitive, but it would work. Benten was regretting hiding in the dumpster. Their clothes and skin were full of germs. She ripped Shinobu's sleeve and washed the wound with the alcohol. What she wouldn't give for a sterilizing field. Mendo turned away from the spectacle. There was nothing he could do, and he wasn't comfortable around the blood. After the wound was bandaged up, Benten rummaged through the box some more, and found the smelling salts, the hard way. She waved them under Shinobu's nose. Shinobu woke with a start. "There you are," Benten smiled. "All fixed and ready for action. You didn't want to go back to your old life. Well, you've gotten your wish." "Am I going to die?" "Maybe, but not from the wound. I do need to get you back to the ship, though." "Where are we?" Shinobu asked, looking at the dark shabby surroundings. Her voice was weak, almost a whisper. "Hi, Shinobu," Mendo said. "Glad to see you're all right." "Mendo," Shinobu said, and switched languages. "Did you bring us here?" "Yes," he responded with pride, "this is one of my hiding places. One of my fortresses, if you would allow." "Then you saved us again. Thank you." "What is this guy's name?" Benten interrupted. "Mendo," Shinobu responded. "Mendo Shutaro." Hearing his name, Mendo bowed. "Fine," Benten remarked. "I came to get rid of one of you, and I pick up another one. If I come here enough, I'll be stuck with the whole fucking planet." "You sent your fighter back up, will anyone be coming to look for us?" "Yes," admitted Benten, "but it's not something that I would be looking forward to if I were a native of this planet." * * * Though she was much more prepared than the last time she went rushing down to the planet, Lum had to admit that she still hadn't thought this through. A bit odd for someone who was notorious for never leaving anything to chance. The first thing she forgot to consider was getting Ataru to the shuttle bay. The second thing was getting off the ship. Ataru was just a matter of a helmet and yet another out of the way route. The second problem was more difficult. At least the attendant was kind enough to inform Lum that he was under orders to report and delay Lum, should she try to go to the planet again. The attendant was a member of her fleet, but also was a soldier of the Seq house. It was the Seq military who paid his salary, so that's where his ultimate loyalties fell. Lum knew and understood all this. All the houses had representation on her fleet. The Redet house maintained a slim majority. This was the royal fleet. Imperial policy was executed by this fleet, specifically, and therefore the families expected representation. It was a good political solution, but, logistically, it was a nightmare. All the greatest egos of the Empire were on the ship, and Lum had to reign them in. Lum had to be mindful that for many families, family came before empire. This attendant was just such an example. He served under her, but he wasn't her man. Only thirty percent of the soldiers and pilots in the fleet were hers. The Seq house, because of Rei, and his future role as emperor had twenty-eight percent, leaving forty-two percent for the other twenty major houses. Lum laughed inside as she thought about this. There was the royal house, the major houses, the minor houses, the peasant Uruseians, the old slave races, and the new slave races. The Empire was a complex fight for position. Lum was startled out of her thoughts when Ataru spoke. He was still helmeted. Hearing him, Lum recalled that Benten had given him an aristocratic accent. The attendant had no way of knowing that he was talking to an alien, or anyone else but a high-born aristocrat. "Come now," Ataru began, his voice taking on a snobbish air. "this is no mad dash. The princess promised me a look at this mysterious planet. I must admit, though, that it was whim of mine. You're not going to leave me disappointed, are you?" "I'm sorry, my lord," the attendant began, "but I have my orders." At least he was buying Ataru's accent, Lum thought, but Ataru still wasn't getting anywhere. "Orders," Ataru scoffed. "You were told to stop the princess from rushing back down to the planet, but the princess isn't rushing down to the planet, I am. She's just accompanying me. I don't think your orders cover that." "It's really not my position to decide what my orders cover, my lord. Perhaps if you take it up with the general's council." "Excuse me?" Lum began getting a little indignant. "Whose ship is this?! We're going to be stuck here for a couple weeks, so if I want to go on a little cruise with a friend I should be able to! Without having to ask permission from a bunch of busybody know-nothing generals!!" She was getting warmed up. "Now you will make a shuttle available, and you will not blab my business all over the ship or I will find an even less glamorous position than shuttle bay attendant for you, and believe me I know quite a few! Do you understand me, mister!?" The wide-eyed attendant froze at attention. "Yes, maam!" The attendant found himself having to make a quick decision and he decided that yesterday's order did not carry as much value as the one currently being thrust at his face. Still he knew that he was in a lose-lose situation. If the princess didn't knock him down, then general Seq would. Lum knew the position that she had put the attendant into and felt sorry for him. "Soldier," she said in a calmer voice. "Yes, maam!" "I take care of the people under my command. You remember that." "Yes, maam," he said and turned to read his controls. "Shuttle 26 is available on deck E." "Thank you," Lum said as she and Ataru turned. "What's your name?" "Chief Watig Fen, princess." "Watig," Lum repeated. She nodded to the man and she and Ataru left the room. "Aren't you worried that he'll call his bosses now?" Ataru asked as they took the lift down to deck E. "No," Lum responded, "he won't. I told him that if he took care of me, I'd take care of him." "How about family loyalty and all that? You said that he worked for the Seq's. Isn't that Rei's family?" "Well," Lum began as the lift jerked to a halt, lining itself up with the deck, "it was a gamble. I wasn't really sure until I heard his name. Watig is a minor family. They work for the Seq's, but they wouldn't mind getting their own place among the major families. To the Seq's he's just a peon whose disobeyed orders, if he's caught. To me he's a Watig who did a Redet a favor. He's considering that as well. Also, General Seq Telli is not a good commander where the rank and file are concerned, especially if they're not Seq. He is not one for earning the loyalty of those under his command." Ataru shook his head. "Is everything you do that complicated?" "Complicated?" Lum asked and opened the shuttle door. Ataru continued the conversation as the two sat down and began preparations to leave. "Yeah, all this minor family, major family, favor stuff, it seems that everything that happens here is full of that, but it was never in the dreams." Lum stopped her pre-flight check to think about the dreams and family politics. "No, it was in the dreams. It just wasn't obvious. Remember when my mother and Mendo's mother went to war, or when that Elle girl took you, and we fought, and there were other times. All the conflicts and minor wars we encountered, I brought in. I've traced them all. I think you brought the classroom, and the fun." Ataru sat next to Lum and took off the helmet. "I've never tried to take the dreams apart." Lum finished the startup sequence. "You know how I'm so different in the dreams than I am here. I wondered why. For a while, I couldn't believe that it was me at all." "You are different, but when you got mad at that attendant . . ." Lum laughed. "You recognized my temper!" Then she lowered her head and said quietly. "I wish you could recognize my laughter as well." Ataru took her hand. "I just did." Lum looked up into his eyes. "I laughed," she said as if it was something that surprised her. "Do you know how long it's been since I really laughed?" Ataru remained silent, but attentive. Lum took her hand back and started the shuttle into the air. "Ten used to be able to make me laugh," Lum said after a moment. The shuttle lifted into the air and began to move forward toward the starry vacuum outside the ship. Lum continued, "Whenever I was depressed or tired from dealing with the families he would do something, anything just to bring a smile back to my face. I needed him so badly, but lately. . . Lately, it's not been enough." "What's changed?" "You mostly," Lum admitted. "What did I do?!" "You showed me what real laughter was. You showed me how to have fun. In all my life, I've never been allowed to have fun. I've always had to study. I became an officer in the space fleet when I was thirteen, Ataru. I wasn't some spoiled princess, either. I was good at my job. The generals laughed when my father gave me this command. They thought the little princess would just be in the way. I had to show 'em. I worked three times as hard, and I whipped this fleet into shape." Once the shuttle cleared the ship, Lum turned on the thrusters. There was a jerk forward. It was slight as compared to what Shinobu had felt in Benten's bike. Lum continued her narration, while Ataru listened. "Our casualty rate dropped in half." "In half?" "It was no great accomplishment. The last commander, a cousin of mine, was letting the generals throw their men away. 'All for the glory of their families,'" Lum mocked. Lum settled the shuttle into a nice orbit and then stood up. "Wanna learn how to fly a shuttle?" Ataru looked up at her in astonishment. "Me?" "I think you should learn some basics, just in case. It's real easy." Ataru cautiously changed chairs. He looked down at the touch screen control panel. He could read the lettering thanks to the language programming, but the abbreviations made no sense at all. "Easy?" "Well, I'm not going to teach you about atmosphere skipping, or gravity warping, or combat, but we have enough time to teach you how to get it to move." * * * After her dinner with Lum, Sugoi sat down to assess what information she had gleaned from their cat and mouse game. Lum was good at it, Sugoi had to admit. She was very close with her secrets, and despite Sugoi's innocent facade, Lum was not to be caught off guard. Sugoi did feel that Lum was a bit too quick to say that she found nothing on the planet. There was also something in Lum's eyes, a hidden apprehension. Something was found on the planet, but Sugoi didn't find out anything beyond that. Rei had personally carried Lum back. She didn't bring anything back with her. What could it have been, Sugoi wondered? There's the Terran saboteur. How did he get on the ship? Sugoi had studied Earth technology before she came on board. There was really no way that the saboteur could get on board without Uruseian help. Even if they had gotten a ship up, they couldn't breach the protection sphere, especially undetected, unless they were allowed in. That raised another question. Why would Lum allow a saboteur onto her ship? To stall the fleet, maybe? No, Sugoi didn't believe that. People died in the explosion. Lum wasn't known for sacrificing her people. Besides there are much easier ways of stalling the fleet when you're the commander. That was probably a more complicated situation than was immediately apparent. Sugoi was willing to believe that Lum really didn't have anything to do with the saboteur. After all, she was chasing him. Sugoi called into the air, "Computer: call up Commander Seq Rei's fighter camera log from three days ago." Maybe if she could find something from the recording of Lum being brought back. "Ready," came the response. "Play." A glow formed in mid-air in front of Sugoi. It coalesced into a defined rectangular shape and then an image appeared. The computer started from moment the fighter was turned on. Sugoi saw images of the fighter bay. There were techs running around re-prepping fighters for flight. Sugoi remembered that Rei's flight had just landed when they were called out to get Lum. She didn't need to see this part. "Jump forward one hundredth," she commanded. The image became a blur, and then resolved again to an image of the terrain coming up. "Jump forward five thousandths," she commanded again. The image jumped to Rei walking toward the camera, toward the fighter. Lum was in his arms. "Jump back two thousandths." A blur again. Rei's ship was just touching down. There was Lum by herself in the middle of the street, watching the ships land. Suddenly Benten ran in front of the camera and headed straight toward Lum. They were talking, but there was no sound. It was a fighter camera, and there's no sound in space. No microphone was thought to be needed. Fortunately Sugoi could overcome this deficiency. "Computer, back one thousandth, and close-up on the face of the figure in the foreground." The image blurred. Lum's face filled the view. She was smiling. Suddenly, the corner of Benten's head entered the picture, but Sugoi could still see Lum's lips. Sugoi nodded and smiled. "Computer continue, normal view." The view pulled back. Sugoi watched Rei go to the two, Benten and Lum. Rei picked up Lum and started carrying her back. Sugoi laughed as Benten teased Lum about being carried by Rei. Then Rei's ship lifted up, leaving Benten on the planet. "Lum's faithful sidekick," Sugoi said smiling. "You found him all right, and she brought him up. But he couldn't be the saboteur." This saboteur was old. He was hardly Lum's type. The story of Lum's dreams painted the lover as young. Sugoi needed more information. She needed to talk to Benten. Benten, although hostile, wouldn't be near as good a verbal fencer as Lum. Sugoi went to change into more casual clothing. All she had to do now was find Benten. * * * Benten stared out at the street light, which shone through the small garage window. Shinobu, by Benten's insistence, was sleeping. Mendo was sitting in a corner. Benten thought he was sleeping as well, but she felt eyes on her. She turned quickly to Mendo. He didn't look away. "What are you looking at?!" she demanded, but he didn't understand. Why didn't these people have the good sense to speak Uruseian, she thought, and sighed. She returned to looking absently out the window, but she couldn't shake Mendo's eyes. She stood up gruffly and marched over to him. Standing over him, she shot him a look that would have made most men mess their pants, but he didn't turn away. His face only showed curiosity. Benten was confused. He was so easy to scare before. Benten rolled her eyes, and then grabbed his head and firmly turned it away. She then went back to where she was sitting. Mendo turned back to her, but then looked down. He had guessed what she wanted before, but he was too eaten up with curiosity. He was with an alien. He was trying to come to grips with the fact that this woman was not born on Earth. She looked human enough. In fact, she was quite pretty, but she wasn't human. Mendo wondered about how her internal organs were. Maybe she had two hearts. Maybe she wasn't even female, but then there was Ataru's girl. She was pretty and female, but Ataru said that she had green hair, and horns as well. Mendo wondered if there were horns hidden under Benten's hair. Mendo turned his attention to the slumbering Shinobu. She was on their ship, he thought. She was even dressed in the same clothes as Benten. Mendo thought Shinobu was lucky. He knew he had to help them get back. If he could only get into space, himself. . . that would be the greatest dream. Benten was glad that Mendo had given up staring at her, but she couldn't regain the calm she had before. She found herself looking back at Mendo. Another young human male, at least he was a little better looker than Ataru. What was she going to do with him, another one? She couldn't take them back to the ship. Though after what she saw here, she couldn't really leave them. Benten found herself looking at the sleeping Shinobu. "You're not safe anywhere anymore," she whispered, "I'm sorry you've lost your home." A light hitting her face caught Benten's immediate attention. She went to the window. It was as she feared, a jeep with a search light. She went to the candle, snuffed it, and then went back to the window. Most of the light was from the street lamp, anyway, but they didn't need any give aways. She feared that this abandoned garage would be an obvious place to search, and she was right. The jeep stopped. * * * Lum was pleased with how well Ataru was learning to fly. He was no fighter pilot yet, but Lum felt that he could hold the ship in flight if she was incapacitated. That's all they had time for now. Lum wasn't willing to take someone into danger with her, without appropriate precautions. She took the controls from him in order to land the shuttle. "They're going to be watching for a return invasion," Ataru commented. "I agree. Where should we put down?" "No where near Tokyo." "I checked Benten's flight log," Lum commented. "I'm afraid her ego got in the way. Even though they fired on her, she landed in the exact place where you were picked up." "They were captured, then?" "Yes, the fighter's sensors recorded several people surrounding the fighter. Benten and Shinobu left the ship under guard before the fighter left." "The school is the nearest public building." Lum smiled, "They won't be there. Benten does not like to be chained. If she's alive, they've escaped by now." Knowing that they could get fired upon, Lum decided to take the most unassuming course she could take. She would just let the shuttle fall into the atmosphere, and then fly at airline speeds. The people might stop and think about it before they fired. Benten would have flown nothing less than supersonic. Any idiot would have looked at her radar signature and said, 'fighter.' Not that they wouldn't fire at Lum anyway. She didn't really know what level of alert the planet might still be on, especially after yet another alien ship landing. Sensors reported a radar lock made on the shuttle, but Lum took no action. She just continued on her way. Private aircraft do not have radar sensors. She must have confused them a little. Instead of missiles, the next contact was a radio signal. Both Lum and Ataru spoke fluent Japanese, but they had a problem. The international air traffic language is English. Ataru suddenly wished that he had stayed awake at more of Professor Onsenmark's classes. Lum had thought that she was a good student and had stayed awake during the classes, but they were dream classes. They were dream classes based on Ataru's memories, who slept during class. Truth to tell, though, Lum did know more English than Ataru. She didn't forget as promptly as he did. Lum considered faking it with what little she knew, but she recalled all the jargon that their own traffic control required. She could pretend to be an untrained pilot in an emergency, but she felt that would draw more attention to themselves than not answering. Then she got an idea. Lum switched on the radio and in English said, "Helrupu! I can't cohntrolru it!" She started to weave a little, and then more. "Are you Japanese?!" came the response, in Japanese. "What is the problem?" Lum felt hurt. Ataru smiled. "I didn't think I had an accent," she said to him, and switched on the radio. "I think we're going down. An alien shot out an engine!" "Who are you?! Non military aircraft shouldn't be flying! Do you have any control at all?" "I've lost the other engine!" Lum shouted, "We've going down!" She cut the radio and the power to the engines. The shuttle dropped like a rock. At one hundred meters, she turned the lifters back on. The shuttle bounced gently into the ocean and then rose to ten meters. Lum looked at Ataru, who was quite pale. He looked back at her with a nervous smile. "They'll think we crashed," she said. "I know I do," Ataru replied. Out of the windows, They could see the lights of Tokyo in the distance, little glittering yellow and white dots set in a rough line against a black background. "This shuttle is going to stand out too much," Ataru said. "How are we going to hide it?" "I was thinking of leaving it out here." "Were you considering walking in?" Ataru said, indicating the rough, dark waters ahead of them. "No I'd thought I'd fly in," Lum replied in perfect seriousness. This got Ataru's attention. "Fly? But I thought that. . ." ". . .that I couldn't really fly under my own power?" Lum continued the thought, "I can't. I don't shoot lightning bolts either. That's just a game that I'll tell you about later. No, we'll both be flying. I stowed a set of personal lifters. We'll be flying in quietly, under darkness, and scanning for Benten's alien metabolism. We'll be able to home right in on her. Then we'll fly out." Ataru studied Lum's features for a moment. He detected some sarcasm, which actually reassured him. "We'll home right in on her, no problem?" he said, continuing the game. "Right in." "This is going to be nearly impossible, isn't it?" Ataru asked. Lum smiled. "It's only impossible if we don't try." She got up and opened one of the lockers in the back of the shuttle. She pulled out a couple of belts and tossed one to Ataru. Ataru studied it. It was a dark gray fabric belt with a metal clasp. Attached to it was a small black plastic box. The box was clean of any controls, or connectors. Ataru looked up at Lum who was putting the belt around her waist. "What's this?" "That's a personal lifter belt." "This?" he said holding it up. "Is there some rocket backpack that goes with it?" "Rocket backpack?" Lum asked, smiling a little. "Yeah, you know, something to lift you into the air." Lum tried to hold back a laugh, "We haven't used reaction thrust in centuries. That little box is all it takes." "This little thing is going to make us fly?" he asked holding out the box part of the belt. "A rocket flies purely by fighting gravity. Your airplanes are a little more intelligent. They fight gravity, but they also use it. That box flies purely by using the energy of gravity. Gravity is just energy, and all energy is convertible. The box takes all the gravity energy on it and converts it. Since it uses all the gravity, there's none left to pull you down, so you float. The converted energy is then used to move you around. Understand?" Ataru didn't, and he doubted he ever would, so he nodded. "How do you tell it where to move you?" Lum tossed him a helmet. "Just wear the helmet. It will translate your brain waves, and send them to the box. You think where you want to go." Ataru, cautiously put on the belt and the helmet. Lum gave him a weapon, and a personal shield generator. She also gave him a small scanner. One he had everything and was put together, he stood up. He looked at himself and then at Lum. "I feel like I've stepped into some space movie." "In a way you have. There's a communicator in the helmet, and an emergency transmitter in the scanner. If we get separated, we should still be able to reach each other." Lum studied Ataru. "It is a little strange seeing you like that. You're entering my world." "Yeah." "The belt does take a little getting used to. It can go pretty fast. I suggest that once you step out of the ship your first thought is to go up. Just look in the direction you want to go and imagine going there. Work to control your speed the best you can. Remember it's dark out, and we're over the ocean. I don't want my Darling slamming himself into the water." "Are we leaving the shuttle here?" "Not really. I put an avoidance program on it. It will stay here until someone without one of these helmets transmitters comes looking for it. If they do get a fix on it, they'll have a merry chase trying to catch it." "But we'll be able to find it?" Ataru asked. "Yes, your helmet is in communication with the shuttle computer. You say, 'Computer come', and the shuttle will find you." Ataru lowered his head, thinking, and then looked back up at Lum. "There's going to be a lot of technology that I'm going to have to learn, isn't there." "I want you to be the next emperor of the Uruseian Empire, Ataru. There's a lot that you'll need to know." Ataru sighed. He looked as if he was trying to draw on some inner strength. "Right now, we had better find Shinobu and Benten, but afterwards I think you and I have some things to work out." Without waiting for Lum's response Ataru turned, and opened the airlock. He took a breath, looked up into space and jumped. He fell straight into the water. Lum ran out of the shuttle and floated down to the floundering Ataru. The water was far from still, but it was manageable. Ataru had recovered from his initial shock, and was keeping his head up. He looked at Lum, who was hovering effortlessly above him. "This is a familiar scene, isn't it," he called up to her. Lum smiled and shook her head. She floated down lower and picked him up by the armpits. She brought him back to the shuttle, and left him standing there in the doorway, soaking wet. Lum chuckled, but tried to regain composure. "Everything's water proof," she began, still smiling. "It should all still work." "All your gizmos may be waterproof," Ataru began while shaking the water out of his sleave. "But I don't think I am." "You'll live." Lum floated away from the shuttle. "Now look at me, and concentrate. Think only of coming toward me." Ataru concentrated his view on Lum. She was wearing a helmet, heavy coveralls and gear, but still there she was floating ahead of him, just like in the dreams. "Emperor," he thought. "How can I be emperor of an empire I know nothing about. I'm no emperor. I'm a school kid." He looked out at Lum, trying to steel his concentration. All those times he turned from her. All those times he said he didn't want her around. It was all a game. He did love her. At least, he loved the dream part of her. He couldn't say he knew the other part. He didn't know this politician, general, princess Lum. How could he be an Emperor? He couldn't imagine. He concentrated hard on Lum. Obviously this flying thing wasn't as easy as she made it look. It occurred to him, as the old saying went, anything that it difficult to understand or to do, which takes a while to master begins with a single step. Ataru took a breath. He looked down to the black water below, and then back at Lum. He took a step into the open air and, with his attention firmly on Lum and getting over to her, he found that he could fly. [End of Part 6] Alt-Urusei Yatsura VII Dreaming my Life Away Shinobu watched the garage fade into the darkness as the jeep continued down the road. Her head was nestled gently in her mother~s bosom. She supposed that she was safe now. She no longer was a fugutive. Shinobu was told that she could go home, though she was sure that she would be watched and questioned. The best thing that she felt could do was to tell the truth and hope that someone believed her. Her mother stroked her hair and said soft words. There now, mama's here. You're safe now, just rest your head until we get you to the hospital. Shinobu did feel comfortable, and safe. When is anyone safer than in their mother's arms, but still Shinobu was not the same person who was caught in the shuttle. The world was much bigger now. She had been in space, met aliens, and even been shot. She dared call an alien a friend. Shinobu worried about Benten, even though there really was no need. Benten, Shinobu knew, was able to take care of herself. She would escape the soldiers. Still, when the moment came it, was hard for Shinobu to leave her. Earlier, when the jeep had stopped in front of the garage, and the soldier jump out. They fanned out and began searching. They didn~t come straight to the garage. The three fugitives had a little time to find a way to escape. There was a small back door in the garage. It was just a regular door, not big enough for a jeep. The only hope for escape that Benten saw was out that door and away on foot. "Just go", Shinobu said. "I'll never be able to run." But Benten was resolute. "I've been charged with protecting you. I'll be fucked if I~m going to abandon you here!" Benten went to help Shinobu out of the jeep, when Shinobu heard someone call her name. Her eyes opened wide in recognition. "Mama!", Shinobu said. She turned to Benten. "It's my mother." Benten looked out towards the sound, and asked herself what was she doing? What kind of protection was she giving Shinobu. Shinobu couldn't go back to the ship. It was Benten who the soldiers wanted. They wanted the alien. Shinobu's chances of being reaccepted by her people increased dramatically if Benten wasn't around. Benten came to a decision. She turned to Shinobu. "I think itto go." "Go?" "You're going need a home again, and it should be on your home planet with your family, not on the run with me." Although she was telling Benten to go before, Shinobu wanted to argue. She wanted to stay with Benten. She really did not want to give up the adventure. In as much pain as she was in, she felt really alive. But Shinobu was a sensible girl. She was brought up in a family that was sensibly plain, and that's what she was, sensibly plain, as much as she hated to admit it. That she got an oppurtunity to leave her plainess, even for a little while, was far more than most girls like her ever hope. Plus, she was sure that her brush with the fantastic would never leave her entirely. Her sensible side said that she would only slow Benten down, and unlike Benten there was nothing that she was running to. There was no rescue waiting for Shinobu, only capture and hope for mercy, and reacceptance. No one was coming to take her home. As much as an outcast she may have become, home was still outside calling to her. She heard her mother calling again and she looked at Benten. "Run! I'll count to ten and call them here." "I'm still going to stick close to you," Benten promised. "It's my duty. If things go wrong, look for me in the shadows." "You promised to come and get me for Ataru's wedding." Benten stood and smiled. "I never break my promises." With that she went to the back door. She opened it and checked to see if things were clear. They weren't. There were guards in sight, searching, but she felt that if she timed it right she could make the shadows. She waited and then was gone. Mendo too heard Shinobu's mother calling and had watched the exchange between Shinobu and Benten with interest. He was about to follow Benten out, when Shinobu stopped him. "Mendo, please stay with me," Shinobu called. Mendo looked back at her, and then at the door. In his imaginary adventures, Mendo was chivalrous, and so in real- life he found he could be nothing else. He turned back to Shinobu, believing that he was giving up his chance ever to go into space. When he reached Shinobu, she took his hand and held it. "Thank you for not leaving me," she said. "I know you wanted to go up and see the alien ships. Having been there I can understand why. When Ataru marries Lum, Benten is coming to get me. I'll see that they take you as well.~ Mendo smiled and squeezed her hand. "Thank you," he said. Shinobu's mother called again. They could hear voices indicating that the soldiers were going to come and search the garage. Shinobu called out in response to her mother and they were found. And so Shinobu was returned to her plainess, and was now resting comfortably, held by her mother. The jeep turned a corner and Shinobu could no longer see the garage. She shifted in her mother's arms so that she could see Mendo in the other jeep. He was under guard, under suspicion of treason. Shinobu planned to tell the truth about everything except Mendo's involvement. She would say that he was forced under gun point to help Benten. Shinobu didn~t like all this military alertness. She didn't like seeing her classmates in uniform, carrying guns. Kakugari was driving her jeep, with Chibi in the passenger seat. Shinobu and her mother were sitting in back. Shinobu couldn't believe that they were really soldiers, but they looked so grim-faced. "Mama," Shinobu asked, "will Papa be waiting at the hospital?" She felt her mother stiffen. There was no answer. An evil thought entered Shinobu's head. "Mama?" She said again. "Your father is dead, dear." her mother said quickly. Shinobu's mother held her daughter tightly, but said nothing more for the rest of the trip. * * * Sugoi was having no luck in finding Benten. Her fighter was in the bay. The attendant had recorded her checking in from a mission to the planet. The reason for which, would very much interest Sugoi, if she could find out what it was. But no one had seen Benten since she left for the planet, and the fighters logs were erased. Sugoi was becoming very suspicious, not an unnatural condition for her. She had the curiousity of a cat, and right now she was eaten up with it. Something big was afoot. She went back to the attendent, who still swore that Benten had returned to the ship. However, Sugoi managed extract even more interesting information out of him, mostly without his cooperation. Lum had returned to the planet with some helmeted aristocrat. Sugoi felt it very interesting that the attendent couldn't guess as to who this aristocrat was. Sugoi was off to Lum's room to try to confirm that she wasn't on the ship, when Sugoi ran into Jariten. He rather startled her. Her mind was so involved on solving this mystery that she wasn't paying attention to her surroundings. She nearly walked into him. The convenience in which he just happened to show up now, with her so hot on an apparently important secret, struck Sugoi as certainly planned. She was wary of Ten. She knew that he was her counterpart and equal in everyway. She would even go so far as to acknowledge that in some ways, particularly in his informant network, he was her superior. "Hallo, Sugoi!" he greeted her, and took her hand. "You don't know how much I have wanted to meet you." He kissed her hand. She jerked it back, and returned a cattish smile. "Indeed," she said, ~and I have been looking forward to meeting you. I have heard so much about you." Jariten bowed, "You flatter me. You seem in a rush to be somewhere. Might I inquire as to where you are going? I may be able to help." "Like hell," Sugoi thought. She said, "I was just off to see your cousin. I so enjoyed my dinner with her, that I wanted to ask if I could have lunch with her tomorrow." "Oh?" Jariten said with no revealing change of expression whatsoever. "I'm sure she would love to, but she is just so busy. I, on the other hand, would be quite free for lunch tomorrow, and would be ever so pleased if a lovely young woman such as yourself would accompany me for such a repast." "I am honored," Sugoi responded continuing the game, "but I am surely too young to be sharing a meal with a man such as youself, and besides we are cousins." "Distant cousins, my lady, and your maturity and self- composure is evident to all who see, not to mention your beauty." This word fencing was fun, Sugoi felt, but it was obvious she was being stalled. "All the same, d I wouke to talk with the princess, and I believe that you are stalling me. Now why would that be, I wonder?" "Stalling, my lady? I am wounded," Ten said feigning injury. "I wish only your company, and perhaps for that reason I am behaving selfishly, but my motives are pure." "Where is your mistress? Perhaps I could finish my business with her quickly, and then you could continue surrounding me with your sweet words." "Alas, I am not my mistress's keeper. I assume that she is in her room, but who can tell. I do know that I long for your graceful company, and that sweet words about you so fill my mouth that if I don't speak them immediately, I could drown in them." Now it was starting to get a little thick. Sugoi realizing that she wasn't going to out talk Ten, and she certainly couldn't intimidate him. She might be able to force her way through, but to what effect. Besides, Ten had told her that Lum wasn~t in her room. By stalling her, he told her that there was something up. That was obvious. She was sure that Ten knew this as well, all he could really do was keep her from proving that Lum was not aboard ship. Sugoi decided that her best course of action now was to go down to the planet herself. See for herself what if there was any threat the humans had to offer, and if possible catch Lum in whatever she was doing. That helmeted aristocrat was certainly the dream lover that she had found on the planet. They taught him the accent. Sugoi wanted to meet him as well. "My dear Jariten," Sugoi said, "I really must excuse myself, but I think I will meet you for lunch tomorrow." "You flatter me, my lady. I hope that you find the princess soon, and if I see her I will convey your message." "Thank you, but I'm sure I will see her soon." Sugoi turned and went back to her room. Ten watched her walk away. She was figuring out too much, too fast. He wondered why the results about Cherry's exam hadn't come out yet. If it wasn't soon, Sugoi wouldn't be thrown off the trail quickly enough. Lum did not need to be on the planet now. It made her situation far more dangerous, but she was spending time with Ataru. That was the only reason that Ten didn't argue her decision to go down. She needed this time with him, but she didn't need Sugoi finding her out before she was ready. Ten had to put some serious clogs in Sugoi's works. * * * Rei paced his room. His sister was here. Even Rei was intelligent enough to know that she was sent by the family. Something was up! Rei couldn't guess what it was. There were so many things, and she wouldn't tell him. He was deciding whether to go and see Ran that evening. The family couldn't have found out so soon, and he had had so many other affairs, what would it matter? But Sugoi was here and she was looking for something. Rei was aware that Ran was a special case, being the servant of Lum. Lum, the name echoed in Rei's mind. He still felt a pain as he remembered what she said on the planet. He knew that she didn't like him. That hurt enough. But to flatly say that she would not marry him. Rei fell down on his bed. He turned over and stared up at the ceiling. "Why was she here?" He kept thinking to himself. Rei couldn't help thinking that it had to be him, and then there was Ran. He didn't know how he hadn't noticed her before. She was so beautiful, and she understood him so. No one had ever treated him so well, or had been so attentive to him. For the first time in his life he had experienced emotional depth. She wanted him. Not just for his body, or his position, well maybe she did want that, but she wanted him as well. He was convinced that even without his position, even if he was just some beast, she would still love him. It was so hard with Lum, and so easy with Ran. He wanted to be with Ran. But he knew he couldn't, especially with his sister on board. She terrified him, and always had. He never got away with anything when he was young. She was always there. She knew everything that he ever did. It was as if she could read his thoughts. What was she looking for?! Could the family already know that he didn't want to marry Lum? He had loved her for so long, but after his experience with Ran, he realized what a hell it would be to live with Lum. She didn't love him. She didn't want him, and probably never would. Rei didn't want to be emperor, either. He had, until he was told that he couldn't be a fighter pilot anymore. That didn't sound like any fun to him. They tried to impress him with the power that he would have, or being able to send scores of squadrons into battle, but it didn't interest him. He couldn't conceive it. The fighter was plain, hands on, graspable. That was the power he loved. He'd do it, if he had to. He'd marry Lum and become emperor. He knew how to follow orders, but he didn't want to. He wanted Ran. Rei finally stood and stared at the door out of his room, concentrating as hard as he could, trying to make a decision. He didn't know what Sugoi was after, but he knew what he wanted. He wanted to know the touch of someone who really loved him. He wanted his life to be a lot simpler. Lum was too complicated for him. Ran was simpler, and Ran wanted him. He went through the door. * * * As they flew, Ataru was becoming more comfortable with the concept of flying. They were approaching Tokyo harbor. Up until then there were no obstacles and Lum was flying slowly to allow Ataru to get used to controlling the belt. He tried changing his speed and altitude. He worked on turns. It was quickly becoming second nature. It was fascinating. He looked over to Lum. Even with the helmet, she reminded him so much of the dreams. If her hair were flying freely he didn't know what he would do. She noticed him looking at her, and smiled back at him. Flying over Tokyo like a dream, she did feel different. She wanted to play. She wanted to hold her Darling in her arms. She wanted to forget her duties. It was like a drug and if their mission was any less serious than rescuing her friend Benten, she might have been willing to give into it. She felt so light in the spirit. She did a loop. She knew if it was daylight out, that she would see the destruction and she would be depressed again. But it wasn~t. It was dark. The lights of the city shown, and she could imagine that everything was all right. There had never been an invasion. She was dreaming again. "Oh Darling," she said, "I am finally home, and its real!" Ataru was at a loss. He had to admit that he was caught up in the same fantasy that she was, but it wasn't real. He couldn't bear to tell her. It was the first time that he had seen her really happy, outside the dreams. Perhaps in that way it was real, but they had to find Benten and Shinobu soon. They were flying over the shoreline. Water and boats gave way to piers and buildings. "How will we be able to locate Benten?" Ataru asked, to get the subject back to more concrete matters. Lum stopped. She hadn~t forgotten Benten, but she wasn't concentrating on her, either. She looked down at the streets below her, and on ahead to the flickering sea of lights, which lay before them. She took out her scanner and took a quick reading. It was as she thought. "There's just too much for us to pick her out by scan. If she was Uruseian it would be easier. Our metabolism runs a bit hotter than humans. Her race is closer. It's not enough to pick her out at any significant range." "Then we have to get her to find us." "That's not easy to do, without sending everyone on our tail." Lum thought hard about what kind of signal Benten would recognize, which would be unnoticed by most everyone else. "Benten may not be at the school now," Ataru began, "but there might be some clues there." Lum nodded and they flew off to the school. When they reached it they saw that it was well lit and there was a great deal of activity. There were many soldiers on the grounds pacing and guarding. An assortment of vehicles carrying soldiers went in and out of the gate, like bees in a beehive. The two stopped short of the light. Looking out from the night's shadow, Ataru was surprised to discover that he recognized most of the soldiers. They were classmates or fathers of classmates. "Tomobiki's become a military camp," Ataru observed. "They're waiting for me to come back," Lum said, almost annoyed. "What fools! They have to know it wouldn't do any good." "Fools?!" Ataru said angrily, turning to Lum. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be derogatory. It's just that none of this is doing them any good." Ataru was still angry at how easily Lum dismissed his people's efforts. "Are you sure? My people don't give up easily." "Darling!" Lum excalimed starting to get a little hurt. "Even if it was only a dream, I was here. I know these people. I love them. It hurts to see them all ready for battle like this, especially since it's a hopeless battle. With a word I could have this planet obliterated. I think you know that. And for the first time in my life, it bothers me." Lum was close to tears. "Do you know how many planets just like this one that I've brought to destruction?" Ataru saw this and flew closer to her. He took her in his arms and held her. She accepted him. It felt so good to feel him holding her. She didn't have to hold her pain in or hide it. He received it gladly. She never before knew what it was like to not feel alone. There were many people in her life whom she loved. Her father or Ten had always been there for her before, but not like this. They separated. "Thank you," Lum said softly. "I think I have an idea on how to find out about Benten," Ataru said. * * * Benten was hiding in the shadows behind a wall, when she heard Shinobu's call. Benten had full view of everything that was going on. The soldiers were making a reasonably efficient search and would have come to the garage soon. Benten was worried that she would have to move again, when a soldier was approaching her, but Shinobu's cry put a halt to everything. Everyone congregated around the garage, guns ready. Benten was getting a little nervous. She already had enough proof that they were a little trigger happy. She would have fired a shot to draw them away, but she saw one of them who looked like the leader of the group wave everyone back. He had the garage door opened. The soldiers went in and Shinobu was carried out. Soon Shinobu and Mendo were driven away. Three soldiers were left, presumably to look for Benten, but she didn~t plan to stick around. She said she was going to keep an eye on Shinobu and that's what she would do. She decided to make her way back to the school. If they were going to hold Shinobu again, they would hold her there. Benten also guessed that Mendo might need looking after as well. Before she turned to go, Benten looked up into the sky, hoping to see a light or something to indicate that her rescue was coming. Any rescue though, she felt, couldn't be good for Earth. Benten was extremely worried that she might have reignited the invasion. She hoped that Lum had found a better solution. * * * Sugoi floated in a shuttle of her own down to the planet. She had gotten information on where the dream transmissions originated and now was making a scan for any transmission signatures of Uruseian origin. She found the shuttle in ocean, and then the two other points which were undoubtedly Lum and her lover. Sugoi stopped her descent at 50 km's and worked to decide what she would do with this information. She could capture Lum in the act, with the dream lover, but that wouldn't prove anything. True, covorting with a non-citizen of the empire was near treason, but there was still the secret of dream control, and the princess obviously had bigger plans than an alien lover. Perhaps a terran of her own would be in order, Sugoi thought. She would just sit and wait for Lum and her lover to move off with whatever they were doing and then she would go down and pick someone up from that same spot. There seemed to be a lot of people there. Sugoi would have no problem finding someone who knew something. This did solve one problem for Sugoi, though. The saboteur was not the dream lover. There were two terrans on the ship. It didn't quite exonerate Lum, but it would cause Sugoi to look elsewhere for the solution to that problem. She wondered what the brain scans would reveal. She didn't expect that she could trust them with Jariten aboard, but he might have left something for her. Ataru floated down to the corner of the courtyard wall, out of sight of the gate guards. He had given his gun to Lum, who still floated out of sight. He didn't want to appear armed, especially with some alien weapon. Once down, he took his helmet off, and holding it behind his back walking casually around the corner and approached the guard. The guard was one of his neighbors. He was an elderly man, who actually never paid much attention to Ataru. He challenged Ataru as he approached. It was obvious that he recognized Ataru, but couldn't remember from where. Ataru smiled and waved. "Good evening," he said. "Stop there until I get a better look at you. What kind of uniform is that anyway?" "I'm a pilot," Ataru explained. "A pilot?! I didn~t know we had any planes. Where are you from?" "Tomobiki originally, but I've been away. What's the big to-do?" The old man lowered his guard, and explained gruffly, "We had one of them aliens, but these blasted kids let 'em get away. Gone soft since the war!" "You had an alien?!" Ataru feigned surprise. "How long since she escaped?" "Been about sundown. Wait a minute, how'd you know it was a she?" The old man picked up his gun. Ataru tensed, but tried not to show it, "News of the capture is all over the planet. I'm sorry to hear she got away. A lot of people are going to be upset." "Hmph!" the old man put down his gun, "You're tellin' me. Old Onsenmark called the goverment people. They're supposed to be comin' in the morning. I've said it before. I don't care if we lost, we shouldn't have given up all the guns. In my day kids had responsibility, and pride . . ." Ataru knew how this line usually started. It would go on until Ataru managed to excuse himself. "Well, thanks for your time," Ataru said, "I had better go to see if my parents are fine." "Suit yourself," the old man said, and then under his breath, "And we had more respect for our elders." Ataru started to walk past the man when Pama appeared at the gate. He recognized Ataru immediately. He raised his gun and shouted, "Traitor!" This got the attention of everyone in the area, and soon there were several guns on Ataru. Lum watched from the darkness at a loss for what to do. A diversion might do it, she thought, if he could get his helmet back on. Just as she was about to fire a couple shots into the area, the search parties returned with Shinobu and Mendo. Lum immediately noticed Shinobu's injury. She also noted Benten's absence. Lum felt reassured. Even if they had killed Benten they would have carried her body back. Benten was still at large. The jeeps stopped in front of Ataru. His arms were in the air by now. He held the helmet in one hand. Onsenmark got out of the jeep and approached Ataru. Ataru met Shinobu's eyes. She looked worried. He shot her a reassuring smile. Onsenmark sized Ataru up and said gruffly, "Where did you get these clothes?" Ataru thought fast. "It's what the aliens give their prisoners to wear. I escaped." Onsenmark looked at Ataru skeptically. He then glanced at Shinobu. She was wearing the same kind of uniform as was, he remembered, the alien. "And the helmet," he asked, "that's prisoner garb as well?" "No," Ataru admitted, "I stole it to hide my human features." "He's lying," Kakugari said. "He followed the alien freely. We saw him get in the enemy space ship." It was then that Shinobu spoke up. "He's not a traitor!" "Shinobu! Remember your father," her mother interrupted. "He's not a traitor!" she repeated. "He's saved us. It's because of him the aliens stopped, and it's because of him that they're not coming back!" Shinobu looked around her. It seemed no one believed her. Ataru had been officially branded a traitor when he left in the shuttle. He was already guilty. Shinobu felt her mother's hold grow cold. Onsenmark nodded to the driver. The jeeps continued in. When they were gone, Onsenmark turned back to Ataru. "Moroboshi, I'll give you a chance to redeem yourself. I want you to tell me everything you know about the aliens, starting with when they plan to attack again." "They're not coming back. They're going to let the Earth go. The attack was a mistake. That's why they stopped." "Quiet! Do you know how many people died in the invasion, while you were up selling us out?" Pama and another student came and held Ataru's arms. Onsenmark struck him. "One more time! When will aliens attack again?" "They're not coming back," Ataru repeat his eyes cold on Onsenmark. Onsenmark was about to strike him again, when explosions erupted all around them. No one was hurt, but they were quite shaken. Up above them, hidden in the darkness came Lum's voice, "Drop your weapons!" There was some hesitation, until more explosions followed. "Drop them or I~ll be getting a lot more accurate!" Onsenmark nodded to the others, and they dropped their guns. "Now release Moroboshi." Onsenmark nodded again, and Ataru was released. "Professor Onsenmark will follow Moroboshi away from the light." Onsenmark put his hands behind his head and started walking away from the school. Ataru followed behind him. He put his helmet back on just to be safe. He wondered what Lum had in mind. Were they going to take a hostage now? When they had gotten a ways from the street lamps near the school, Ataru had Onsenmark turn a corner. "How can you abandon your race like this?" Onsenmark said under his breath. "You don't understand." When they were out of sight of the school, Lum fired another shot. "Stay right where you are and no one will be hurt. We just want to talk with him." Lum floated down in front of Onsenmark. She took off her helmet so that he could see her features. It was dark, but there was enough light to make out that she was certainly less human looking that Benten. "You're not like the other alien," he said. "I'm the real alien," Lum said. "I the Lum of Ataru's dreams, if he has told you about them. I am the Princess Redet Lum, heir to the throne Uruseian Empire. I want you to believe me. Shinobu was right. Ataru has saved your people. I have no intention of continuing the attack. Please release Mendo and Shinobu. They're not traitors. In a few months, I hope to return to begin peace negotiations. I am very sorry for the damage that I caused. Through Ataru, this world is like a second home to me. I didn't find out which planet this was until it was too late." "How do you expect me to believe you? What proof do I have? Maybe you're just tricking us into surrender." Now Ataru spoke. "Professor, I've seen their ships. If they wanted this planet you'd be a slave now. They originally came down with a fraction of their force because they didn't think they would need anymore." Onsenmark looked back and forth between their faces, trying hard not to believe them. "I have government agents coming in the morning looking for aliens. What do I tell them?" "Tell them that the war is over," Ataru said. "I don't think that it will be that easy. Why don't you stay and tell them?" Lum smiled and shook her head, "If I stay too long, my people will think that I've been captured, and then there will be an invasion. I wouldn't be able to stop it again. You took a terrible risk by holding my pilot." Onsenmark thought and nodded. He turned to Ataru, "How is it that it was you who saved our world?" "I'm going to be the next emperor," Ataru said, really not believing it himself. Lum took his hand. "You're going to be what?!" "He's going to be my husband," Lum announced. Onsenmark stood in stunned silence. "Miss, this is Moroboshi Ataru, not some great prince. Do you really want him as your emperor?" "He's all I've ever wanted," she answered, and pulled him closer to her. Onsenmark began rubbing his forehead. "This is all too much for me. I'm going to believe you, but I don't think anyone else will." He then looked with seriousness, meeting Lum's eyes, "Don't expect any of us to forgive you for the damage that you've caused." Lum lowered her head. "I'm sorry about that. This will be the last innocent planet that my people attack. I swear it!" * * * Benten had an excellent sense of direction. Even hugging the shadows in an unfamiliar landscape, she trusted that she would be able to find the school again. The explosions helped as well. She recognized the sound. It was the gun that she had given to Lum. She couldn't imagine why Lum was attacking the school, but it sounded like fun that she was missing out on. The rescue party had come. She tried to move faster, but it was really too dark, and too unfamiliar. Eventually, she did reach the school. She saw several soldiers waiting outside the courtyard wall. Their guns were on the ground. Benten could easily see where Lum had fired. She also saw that there were no bodies. Lum was just trying to scare them. She saw Onsenmark returning to the school. Then she was surprised to see both Lum and Ataru follow behind him. Benten wasn't sure what to do. She wanted to run out, but it didn't seem safe. Lum and Ataru entered the school yard. The soldiers picked up their guns and followed them in. Benten snuck over to the gate. "What was Lum doing?" She asked herself. She couldn't be giving herself up. Benten was at a loss for what to do. Should she mount a rescue operation or just walk in and say "Hi." It didn't make since. She understood being at war much better. She peeked around the corner. Lum and Ataru, were standing on the front steps before a crowd of people. Some were gaping in astonishment. Others were definitely not pleased to see her. Lum began to speak. Benten recognized the same gibberish that the others spoke. Benten couldn't get over Lum, a princess of the Uruseian Empire, speaking a native language. There hadn't been an Uruseian who spoke more than one language in millenia, especially a princess. And yet there she was, jabbering like she was one of them. Lum looked up and saw Benten peering around the corner. She hand motioned her in. Benten took some steps into the open. Everyone turned. She almost ran back into the shadows, but Lum called to her. "It's all right. We've reached a truce," she said. Lum went back to talking gibberish, while Benten approached. Most turned back to Lum, though some kept their eye on Benten. Lum and Ataru were fielding questions. Some were hostile, others just curious. Benten saw that past the crowd Mendo was being taken out by professor Onsenmark. He saw Benten and waved to her, but then he saw Lum and his eyes opened wide. Benten was almost jealous that she did not look different enough to keep his attention. It was the first time, since she left home that she felt ordinary. It was the Uruseian, for a change, who was the curiousity, not her. She wasn't quite ready to congregate with the humans, though. She found a tree to lean against, and watched Lum continue her talk. Benten couldn't help thinking, that this was the starting point. Here was the Lum that Benten wanted to see. Benten would always remember that the first time the Empress spoke before her people, and it was before non-Uruseians. It didn't matter than she hadn't been crowned yet. Lum carried herself well. She was approachable, yet proud. Even Ataru fufilled his role. They looked every bit like a royal couple, despite their simple military attire. Benten could see that Lum was winning people over. Many were nodding, and the frowns of distrust began to fade away. Benten watched Mendo leave the crowd and come toward her. She acknowledged him. He smiled back. He went to stand next to her under the tree. Benten felt some initial discomfort at his apparent easiness with her, but she let it pass. She didn't accept people easily, but he had shared some danger with her, and watching Lum speak, although she couldn't understand a word, Benten realized that a new order had begun. [End of Part 7] Alt-Urusei Yatsura VIII A Dream Takes Flight ____________________ Lum, Ataru, Professor Onsenmark, Benten, and Mendo sat together in the school cafeteria. The hour was very late. Most of the people who listened to Lum in the courtyard had gone home. They thankfully put away their uniforms and their guns. The terror was over and tomorrow it would be time to rebuild. They had a lot to think about, the people of Tomobiki. Lum told them of the Empire and what she was going to make of it. She offered them a choice. They could remain as they were, one planet, alone, without outside contact, or they could join the Empire. She explained that even under the old laws, if Moroboshi became the new Emperor, Earth would have a protected status. Very few were able to come to terms with the idea that Ataru was going to be a galactic Emperor, but they accepted Lum~s word. Earth was going to be a bright star in the map of the Empire, if Lum won. They could take advantage of that, or continue to isolate themselves. Either way it was attractive, but the people knew too that they were just one small community. There were six billion other people who were still waiting for war. The first job of Tomobiki was to try to convince the world that it was safe, and then it would be time to decide whether to make the big step into space. In the cafeteria, Professor Onsenmark still had questions, and more. He was desperately trying to convince Lum to stay and talk to the government people herself. He didn't know how he could explain to them all that had happened without her to offer proof of what he was saying. "They will say that I am just trying to cover up for my incompetence," Onsenmark explained. "All of Tomobiki knows that it isn't true," Lum said. "They cannot claim that the whole town is lying." "I am not so sure." "Shinobu is staying," Ataru added, "She said that she would be willing to cooperate with the investigators." "Moroboshi, you don't understand. The planet is terrified. The Uruseian force came out of nowhere and defeated our best defenses without a loss. Radar and telescope spotters can see that the ships are still there. Hell, they're so big that you can almost pick them out with binoculars. The only way that this planet is going to relax is either the ships leave, or the Princess talks to the world like she did for us." Lum lowered her head, weighing what Onsenmark said. "I can't be seen making a big noise on Earth, and we won't be able to leave for at least two weeks." "Could we just move away?" Ataru offered. Lum turned to Onsenmark. "How far would we have to be before we couldn't be tracked by your technology?" Onsenmark shook his head. "I don't know. As big as your ships are, quite a ways, I'm sure." Mendo spoke up, saying, "They wouldn't need to move out of range. If you told the government people what Lum told you and then said as a sign of good faith the ships would move away from the planet. That would be your proof." "They'd have to know that I talked to you," Onsenmark observed. "I could accept that." "Good," Lum said standing, "because we have to get back, or things will start getting too out of hand up there." Ataru and Benten stood as well. "When will you be here again?" Mendo asked. "For now, we have to stay around for two weeks, but who knows after that?" Ataru said. "You will all be invited for the wedding!" Lum announced. "I hope that it will be soon." Onsenmark shook his head. "I still can't get over all this. Ataru Moroboshi and an alien Princess, it's a modern fairy-tale. Maybe I'm dreaming!?" Ataru smiled, "I'm sure someone is. I don't believe it myself. All I can do is take it as it comes." "Good luck Moroboshi," Onsenmark said offering his hand. "It scares me to say this, but Earth is depending on you." Ataru chuckled, taking Onsenmark's hand, "I don't like to think about it." Lum grabbed Ataru's arm. "He'll do fine." Lum, Ataru and Benten turned to leave. Mendo stood and cleared his throat. Ataru and Lum turned. Benten stopped. She sighed saying quietly, "The whole fucking planet." "Please," Mendo said simply. "I can't handle anymore complications," Lum responded. "It's not safe for humans." "I won't be a complication," Mendo pleaded, "I just want to be there, if even for a moment. I'll stay quiet. Lock me in some closet, just so that I'm there." Benten couldn't understand what he was saying, but she had guessed from the start what he wanted. Shinobu had told her about Mendo, and his imagination. Benten had dreamed once. That's what motivated her to become a pilot. She was still dreaming about a time when her people would be masters of their own destiny. And, although grudgingly, she had to admit that she was starting to like him in a puppy doggish sort of way, or maybe she was just lonely. "I'll look after him," she said. This surprised both Lum and Ataru. "What was that?" Lum asked. "I said I'll be responsible for him on the ship." "What are you talking about?" "He wants to go see the ships, right. I'll take him up and keep him out of trouble." Lum turned to Ataru. "Would you excuse us?" Ataru nodded and went back to talk with Mendo. Lum pulled Benten close and in a hoarse whisper said, "What are you thinking?! Keep him out of trouble?! Who's going to keep you out of trouble? Maybe you've forgotten why I had to come down here in the first place." "I know. You came to save my butt. It's not like I haven't saved your butt before." "I know, but your butt shouldn't have needed saving." "What do you mean?" "I mean," Lum said sternly, "that the only reason you got captured is because your ego wouldn't let you land someplace safe. You jeopardized your life, Shinobu's and all our plans for freeing your world some day. I don't need you showing off and risking everything we've built. I want the assignments I give done, done right and done safely. Do you understand me?" Benten studied Lum's eyes. There was no give. Lum had reprimanded Benten before, but there had always been in a easy-going way. She had never been so serious. "Another side-effect of Lum's new responsibilities," Benten thought. She knew that Lum was right, and that she had taken unnecessary risks, but the cold reprimand still hurt. Benten pulled up to attention. "Yes, maam!" Lum finally softened. "You're my best friend in the Empire. Don't ever scare me like that again." "I'm sorry," Benten said feeling a little better about things. "So why do you want Mendo? Did something happen between you two?" Benten stepped back. "Of course not! Shit! I just want to give the guy a break that's all. He did me a favor. I want to do him one." "It's dangerous to bring him up, now. Couldn't this wait until things are a little more settled?" "I think we both know that it'll be a long time before things are 'settled.' Instead of all this stealth, why don't we just come out in the open with Ataru, and the Earth." "Not yet. Believe me I want to, but not yet," Lum took a breath and made a decision. "If he comes up, there will be no risks. I don't want you sneaking him a look at the bridge. We bring him up. Show him the hanger. And you fly him back down. That's it!" "But couldn't I . . ?" "No! Benten it's dangerous, for him and us. Remember Sugoi? She's just waiting for us to make a mistake. We can't give the families time to plan. When I spring our plans on them, I want to be ready to implement them. If they have time to build some resistance against us, we'll go nowhere." "Bring him up, and then straight back down," Benten repeated. "Right. No risks." Benten turned to Mendo and waved him over. He came gladly. She motioned with hand signals that he was with her, and they left the cafeteria together. Ataru came up behind Lum, and said, "Aren't we just creating another problem?" "It'll be a short problem," she responded. "We can handle it. I've never seen Benten take an interest in a guy before. She's always made herself too busy." "She didn't look too interested. She looked annoyed." "It's a defense mechanism. She's interested. We'll just have to seen how long it'll take her to admit it." "This is really too complicated for me," Ataru admitted, and then added. "Would it be possible to visit my parents before we go back?" Lum paused. "We could, but maybe you should see them alone." Ataru guessed from where Lum's reluctance was coming. "Demon or no," he said, "if I'm going to marry you, I'd like my parents to at least get used to you. They liked you in the dreams." "Those were just dreams," Lum said. "I don't think either of us really believe that. Come on." The four walked along Ataru's all too familiar route home from school. Lum knew the route well, and if she weren't so nervous about meeting Ataru's parents again, she might have put her helmet back on and flown along side Ataru, just for nostalgia's sake. But she didn't feel like doing that. All she could think of was the terrible look in Ataru's father's eyes when she was there last. Ataru rounded the corner and entered the gate to his house. There was still a light on. Ataru turned to the others. "I'll go in first, then I'll call you when I've gotten them prepared." Ataru went to the door and opened it. He peeked inside. The T.V. was blaring from the living room. For a moment, Ataru wondered what they would be playing in such times. He entered the house and softly closed the door. He took off his shoes, which in this case were Uruseian standard issue. Ataru had to admit that he was also a little nervous. It had been almost three days since he left. What would he say? "Hi, Mom. I was abducted by aliens but I'm back now. Oh, by the way, I'm going to marry that demon from my dreams and go on to rule the universe." He didn't think that it would go over well. He looked around the corner. His mother and father were watching television. There were no other lights in the room except for the bluish flicker from the screen, which cast ghoulish shadows on his parents' faces. They looked older to him, much older. His mother had her arm in a sling. Apparently, it was from an injury she suffered in the attack. Ataru watched them sitting there staring blankly at the television screen. Even with the television noise, the room was still and silent. Ataru didn't want to disturb it. He felt like an intruder, strangely out of place. He drew up his courage. "Mom, Dad," he said meekly. He got their immediate attention. "Ataru!" His mother's face lit up, and she rushed to him. She hugged him with her one good arm. His father also rushed to him. "You're alive!" Ataru was a bit taken aback by the welcome, but then he got the reaction he had expected. His mother pulled back and shot him a string of questions. "Where have you been? Where did you get those clothes? Why haven't we heard from you? I thought you were dead." "Mom, calm down," he said. "I've been on the alien space ship." "You were with the demon?" "She's not a demon, She's an alien Princess." "A Princess?" his mother said incredulously. "What interest would a Princess have in you? She's a mischievous demon, who's come to steal you!" It was one thing when Ataru wasn't sure what Lum was, but now that he had met her, this demon line was wearing a little old. "Which is more unbelievable?" he began in response. His voice was tainted with contempt. "The planet was attacked by aliens, not by demons, mother. Don't you read the paper?! I don't know why I came back." He turned to leave. "Son," he heard his father say. Ataru was surprised to hear anything from his usually silent father. Ataru turned. "We've heard that you betrayed us to the aliens. That you brought them here. It's obvious that you've been with them." This was another line that was that was getting a little old, but Ataru had to admit that it was not without foundation. It was also true that his father had spoken with him so little in Ataru's lifetime, that he felt obligated to respond to this particular challenge. "I've been with them, but I didn't bring them here. They were already coming to invade this world. They stopped because Lum, their Princess, found out that I lived here. My dream girl is real, dad. She stopped the invasion and came to get me." "What does she want with you?" his father asked. "She wants to marry me, and make me their next Emperor, if you can believe that. She's outside waiting, dad. Couldn't you give her a chance?" "I will not have that demon in my house!" his mother yelled, but Mr. Moroboshi put his hand on her shoulder. "I think we should as least talk to her." He stopped another protest from his wife and added, "Outside. He's our only son, and if we come between him and his love, we'll lose him." "She can't have him!" his mother protested, "Cherry can exorcise her away from him! That demon will not get my boy." Mr. Moroboshi's voice remained calm. "We'll go outside and talk." It was becoming obvious to Ataru that the invasion and Ataru's disappearance had taken their toll on his mother. His father was probably the only thing holding her sanity in, and even then she was tenuous. Ataru was surprised at his mother's words though. He always felt that she'd be happy to see him out of the house. His father, though, was the biggest surprise of all. Ataru really had no idea of what kind of man he was. He kept to himself, always hiding behind his paper. It was a safe haven away from the daily insanity of the house. But now that the whole world had become insane, Ataru's father had the only rational voice. Ataru led his parents outside to where Lum, Benten and Mendo were waiting. "Hello, Shutaro," Mr. Moroboshi greeted Mendo. "Mr. Moroboshi." Then Mr. Moroboshi's eyes shifted to Lum. She felt very nervous, very exposed. "You are the Lum that my son has told us about?" he asked. Mrs. Moroboshi held her husband's arm. The look she gave Lum was not an approving one. Lum lowered her eyes away from their gaze. "Yes, Fath- Mr. Moroboshi," she said quietly. She almost slipped again. Seeing them here just like she remembered, she felt she was in the dreams, but at the same time she knew too well that things were very different. "You called me 'Father' when we first met right after the invasion." "Yes, sir," she said. "In our dreams I lived here. It's hard to remember that this isn't the dream. I'm sorry. I was presumptuous." Ataru's father smiled. "If you marry my son then you'll be calling me 'Father' again." He paused to talk a breath. He had some questions for her now. "If you're a Princess, what do you want with my son? We're common people, and from a different race." "I don't know how the dreams started, or why I became involved with your son, Mr. Moroboshi. But I do know that he's everything I need. I love him more than my life. We're connected. I couldn't leave him, even if I wanted to. I know we're aliens, and that's a problem with my people too, but our love is greater than that." Ataru's father turned to his son. "Do you agree with what she just said?" Ataru nodded. Mr. Moroboshi then addressed them both. "Ataru is our only child. We want what's best for him, but he's also old enough to make his own decisions. If you're the woman he loves, and he believes that you're right for each other, then I'll accept you as my daughter." Ataru's mother turned on her husband. "You're just going to let that demon have our boy?! Look at what she's done! Do you want your son to be a traitor?!? Mr. Moroboshi considered this and turned to Lum. "What do you plan to do with the Earth?" "I'm sorry about what happened," she said. "If I'd have known. . . The Earth will be left alone. It will be allowed to join the Empire on it's own, or if it chooses, to remain isolated." Mr. Moroboshi wasn't satisfied. "If Ataru wasn't here, then what would have happened to us?" This was a harder question for Lum. The truth was becoming more and more horrible to her every time she thought about it. "Earth would have been forced to join the Empire as a slave planet." "So my son will be helping you get slave planets for your Empire. Did you know this Ataru?" Ataru drew himself up to answer his father, and defend Lum. He was finally starting to feel his new situation. "There will be no more slave planets for the Empire," Ataru said. "Lum and I are going to free the ones that are already taken. I will not rule slave planets!" Lum turned to him in astonishment. His statement was so bold. She was struck by how he used, 'I'. He had accepted her plan as his own, upon his own authority. She was confused for a moment. She had up until now, assumed that the decision rested with her alone. She was carrying it's weight. It belonged to her. She felt an initial rush of anger toward Ataru for stepping on her authority, but that changed. Maybe she still didn't believe that she was looking at her Emperor when she looked at him. He was her pet, as Ten had put it. She decided that if he was willing to carry the weight, she would let him. She would let him share the load. That's something of what marriage was about, wasn't it; sharing the load? Suddenly she felt so much lighter. She went to him, and took his arm. They stood together. Ataru looked to her and smiled. He turned back to his parents. "We will not rule slave planets." * * * Sugoi was startled out of a light sleep by the alarm that she had preset. It was there to notify her that Lum's shuttle was lifting up from the planet. "Finally," Sugoi said out loud. The Princess certainly had a great deal of business on the planet. Checking the clock, Sugoi noted that the Princess had nearly spent two tenths on the planet. Sugoi's curiosity was piqued. She checked the scanners to relocate her chosen victim. Sugoi had been watching the scanners when Lum was giving her speech to the crowd near the school. She had only seen two Uruseian transmitters surrounded by a crowd of Terrans, but judging by the arrangement and the length of time that everyone was gathered, Sugoi assumed that Lum was speaking. Sugoi was also pleased to note that the second Uruseian transmitter was owned by someone with the same metabolism as the rest of the humans. Lum's helmeted aristocrat was definitely human. Sugoi's victim was picked because he left the crowd early. Sugoi assumed that he didn't like what Lum was saying. If that was the case, then he wouldn't mind talking all about Lum and her dream lover to someone who might not have their best interests at heart. She set the computer to follow this individual so that he could be found easily once Lum left. The computer screen scanned over the terrain until it stopped on it's programmed target. He was in a smallish structure with three other people. The sensors indicated that they were sleeping. Apparently, her victim had gone home and went to bed. The only issue that remained to be solved was how to go down and get him. Sugoi had scanned a lot of weapons around Lum when she was speaking, and there was a weapons cache nearby. She had also taken the liberty of scanning the area. There were two heavily armed ocean going vessels almost directly below her, along with fifteen other military strongholds within the city. Most of them would have some kind of missile launching system for aircraft. Sugoi guessed that the planet might be waiting for another invasion, but at the same time Lum had gotten down safely. Sugoi began a descent. When she reached twenty kilometers sensors reported a radar lock. It was a simple radio reflection method. The Uruseians hadn't used anything like it since they achieved space travel, which presented a problem. The shuttle could jam many of the modern tracking techniques, but it couldn't handle anything so primitive. Sugoi, however, lived by the adage, "When in doubt, improvise." A couple of the shuttle's systems still required an electric field. With a little adjustment, and a large hammer perhaps, they could be made to produce a intense enough field around the ship to short out any missile guidance system. Sugoi slowed the ship's rate of descent, and switched on the avoidance program. The shuttle couldn't outrun a missile, she believed, but it could buy her some time, and maybe, she hoped, the missiles wouldn't have much fuel. Sugoi considered briefly that the planet might have an energy weapon, but nothing in her studies about Earth indicated that kind of technology. She went to work. In moments she had her field, and just in time. Sensors were reporting a rapidly approaching object. Sugoi took the shuttle off auto, and increased her descent speed. She started moving the shuttle toward the city. Sugoi was prepared to run, if the electric field didn't work. The missile adjusted itself for her new course and continued its approach. She activated her improvisation, and was surprised by it's ferocity. Her hair shot straight up. Lightning surrounded the ship, and the missile exploded right where it was. The explosion rocked her shuttle slightly, but did no damage. Sugoi was quite pleased with herself, and sped her approach to the city. More missiles appeared, and suffered similar fates, though now Sugoi smelled something burning. The automatic fire control would take care of it. Sugoi flew low over the city, approaching her target. The radar lock on her shuttle was gone. She was too low for it. Sugoi was safe now, but could only hope that she'd be able to leave again. She set the shuttle to hover over the house where her victim slept. Wearing a personal lifter, she stepped out of the shuttle, and floated down to the house. She found the appropriate window on the second floor. With a molecular cutter, Sugoi made a hole in the glass and tossed in a stun pellet. Soon she was carrying her very own human back up to the shuttle. Once there, she placed him in restrainers and went to see if her electric field generator was still salvageable. It was a bit scorched, but she felt there might be one more charge in it. She'd have to make a run for it. Sugoi turned the shuttle and left the city as fast as she could go. The missiles were soon on her tail, and gaining on her. She activated the field. It worked, but it was weak. Smoke poured out from the circuit panel. The missiles were momentarily confused, buying her time, but they were able to lock onto her again. Fortunately, they did run out of fuel. Sugoi escaped the atmosphere untouched. She landed back in the shuttle bay just as Megane was waking up. * * * Professor Onsenmark had made arrangements for safe passage back up to the fleet for Lum's shuttle. During the entire trip up, Mendo was staring out the view ports in amazement. "Ataru, this is incredible! It's beyond anything I could have imagined." "That's saying a lot," Ataru joked. "It is. It is!" Mendo agreed. "Lum, I mean Princess . . ." "Lum's fine," Lum responded. "What's propelling the shuttle? I don't hear any engines." Lum gave Ataru a knowing glance. "It uses gravitational energy. This is just a surface to orbit shuttle. The only sound you would hear are the energy converters and what little sound they make is muffled." "I remember that Benten's ship made a lot of noise," Mendo said. "Benten flies a fighter. It has a lot more power. It's made for deep space travel, and can't rely on a nearby gravity well. It uses direct matter conversion. Benten's fighter, in particular, is extremely powerful, and noisy." Mendo looked over to Benten who sat stoicly in a corner. She was quite an enigma to Mendo. At one moment she seemed full of action and spontaneity, and then she was like she was now, quiet, lost in her own thoughts. It could be because she was the only one on the shuttle who didn't speak Japanese, but Mendo had seen her like that in the garage, as well. It made him think that there was something about her that he could understand. "Ataru, I don't understand this language thing," Mendo asked. "You and Shinobu speak their language. Lum speaks ours. So what about Benten?" "As for Shinobu and I, they have a machine that teaches you their language. I don't know about Lum." Ataru paused and turned to Lum, "I supposed you learned my language from the dreams." "That's what I thought, but I don't understand why you didn't learn mine." Ataru thought about that. "I imagine it's because we never used your language in the dreams. Everyone spoke Japanese, except your mother, but that wasn't Uruseian either." Ataru appeared confused. "My mother and I don't understand one another," Lum offered. Just then, Mendo rushed forward to the main window. They had turned toward the fleet, and Mendo was in awe. "They're beautiful!" Lum took in the compliment. "I thought they were terrifying the first time I saw them," Ataru said. "I could imagine that as well," Mendo said. Mendo's enthusiasm over the fleet broke Benten from her thoughts. She was going over her experience on the planet, and how it had affected her. "Too much," was her conclusion. She felt her carefully cultivated objectivity compromised. She watched Mendo peering out toward the fleet and jabbering to Lum and Ataru. She couldn't hurt any of them now, she felt. She had to count on Lum to turn the fleet away from Earth. She didn't like to admit that, even to herself. As she listened to the unintelligible conversation between Lum, Ataru, and Mendo, Benten was surprised to discover that she actually felt left out. She was used to being a loner. Benten was unique and alone in the fleet, and had been comfortable with it. She didn't believe she needed companionship, friends. Perhaps it was another sign of the old world falling away. In the new world that Lum and Ataru would usher in, perhaps she would make friends. Perhaps she would even learn how to love. When the shuttle finally landed, Ataru put his helmet back on. Benten was seeing to Mendo. Lum went to Benten. "Remember, back to the planet. No detours. And then I want you right back up here. Don't take any risks. We've taken too many already." Benten sighed. "Yes, Princess." Then she said, "I'm sorry about what happened. I promise to behave myself." Lum gave her friendly hit on the shoulder. "Not too much, I wouldn't recognize you." And with that Ataru and Lum left. Soon Benten had Mendo all geared up and ready for the fighter trip back. She stepped back to inspect her work. Mendo was admiring his new clothes. He looked up and their eyes met. Benten quickly turned away, but she also decided that she wasn't quite ready to take him back down. She shoved a helmet on his head, and took his hand. Mendo, not quite knowing what was going on, followed Benten back to her room. Once inside, she took off Mendo's helmet and went digging through one of the many piles of clothes which littered the room. Mendo looked around the room. It wasn't what he expected to find on a space ship. The smell was also something very different. He looked over to Benten who was bent over digging through her dirty clothes, apparently searching for something. "At least the view was good," he thought. Finally, Benten retrieved the language teacher. She smiled in triumph. "I'm not letting you go until I at least get to talk to you," she said to herself. She placed the device on Mendo's head and shoved in a disk. Mendo was becoming a little apprehensive. Benten cleared a chair and sat him down in it. She then turned on the machine. An instant of pain, and then understanding. "What is that?" Mendo said in Uruseian. "That," Benten responded, "is much better." "You speak Japanese," Mendo said. Benten just shook her head, and grinned back at him. Slowly the pieces started to come together. "I'm speaking . . ." "Bing bong." Mendo took the device off his head and began to study it. "This is an amazing device! A complete language course in a couple seconds. Anyone could learn a dozen languages is an hour." "Well they could," Benten said, and cleared another chair, "but there are really only programs for Uruseian." "Just one language? What a waste!" Benten took the teacher from Mendo. She turned it over in her hands. "Yeah, isn't it. It's the only language spoken in the Empire." "Tell me about the Empire," Mendo asked and Benten did. * * * Megane had a headache, the result of his own exposure to the language teacher. In her short time aboard ship, Sugoi had secured an extra room, which she hoped Jariten had not yet discovered. It was quite plain. Sugoi hadn't had the opportunity to decorate it. This is where Megane found himself, restrained to a chair in the center of the room, still dressed in his Sailor Moon pajamas. Sugoi's expression was ever so friendly as she removed the language teacher. "Hello," she said and waited for the usual surprise brought about by instant understanding of another language. Megane didn't have his glasses on. All he saw was a blur of green hair. "Lum! I knew you couldn't be trusted. All those kind words, and then you abduct us for your fiendish alien experiments! I'll resist you with every last ounce of my strength!" He tried to pull himself free, but there was no give in the energy restraints. Sugoi was surprised. This was a turn she hadn't expected. She wasn't sure what to make of it. Did these people have poor vision, or where they just bad at recognizing faces. In any case, if he was going to think she was Lum, she could play along. "Not at all," she whispered seductively, as she moved behind him, her hand running along his shoulder. "If it's an experiment, it's one of love. I just wanted another Terran to mate with." Megane was starting to get a little nervous. He was ready for a hot poker through his cheek, not this. He spoke, but his voice showed his uneasiness. "What do you mean? You're giving up Ataru?" "Ataru," Sugoi noted to herself. At least she got a name. She continued her game. Still behind him, she began to caress his chest. "Not exactly. I just like to shop around. I noticed you didn't like my speech this evening?" "It was nice and all," Megane responded getting nervous every time Sugoi's hands started moving down. "But I didn't believe it. As if we'd really believe that invaders would suddenly come offering peace, and a chance to join up with you. I don't care how you felt about Ataru." Sugoi had hit the jackpot. "But I feel about Ataru the same way I feel about you," she said and began licking the back of his neck. "Don't you believe that I'd let Earth rule the galaxy with Urusei for the sake of a young alien to share my bedroom?" She started her hand moving down his chest, but stopped when he stiffened up. "No!" Megane said in the high pitch of near terror. "You're just using us! Besides, I thought you said that all the planets would be given an equal voice." Sugoi stopped. She stood behind him, her eyes opened wide. "She couldn't be serious," she thought, "a revolution!" Wait until she told her uncle. All the pieces were beginning to fall into place, but there still were a few more questions. Still behind Megane, she started caressing his face. "You know I've been dreaming about you as well." "About me? But I wasn't about you. Well, I was, but not like Ataru was. He'd dream about you every night. He'd said it was almost real." "Ataru was dreaming about Lum - uh - about me?" Sugoi went around in front of Megane, but kept her distance. She sat down in another chair and feigned sadness. "I thought you'd be dreaming about me too. I wonder why it was only Ataru." "Why aren't you calling him 'Darling', anymore?" "'Darling?'" "What a strange word to call anyone." Sugoi thought. She had to assume that it was a term of endearment. "I didn't think it would be appropriate around you," she said, "If you didn't dream about me, though, maybe it's because you don't love me like Ataru does." "That's not true! I mean, yes it is! You're the enemy! Ataru's a traitor." "The enemy? Why are you so cruel?" Sugoi said, but stayed back. She figured she got as much as she could by making him nervous, now she'd see what his anger would reveal. "Cruel?" Megane laughed, "I'm on to you! You took control of Ataru, and now you're trying to control me. Well, I'm not as easy as he was." "Come now. Why would I want to control anyone on Earth?" "To get information for the invasion. You got our language from Ataru, who knows what else? You'll get nothing out of me." Sugoi forced back a smile at the irony of Megane's last statement. She'd already got quite a bit out of him. She had her proof that Earth did not have dream control. She had the name of Lum's victim. She knew that Lum got information from her contact with him. She knew the breadth of Lum's plans, total restructuring of the system of families. She weighed Megane's assessment that Lum was taking control of Ataru. It didn't add up. Lum had let it slip to Rei that she wasn't going to marry him. She still kept Ataru with her, and had given him an aristocratic accent. Also, if Lum had initiated the dreams, she wouldn't have leaked it to the rest of the Empire. Now the question was, where did the dream connection really originate from, if not from Lum or Ataru? The obvious solution to Sugoi was a third party. The very thought of a third party in this affair gave her a headache. Sugoi looked over to Megane. She still had to find out who the saboteur was and how he got on the ship, but it was late and she found herself not really caring. She sighed. Now, Sugoi too, had a Terran to hide. * * * Ataru and Lum returned together to Lum's room, and once again found Ten waiting for them. "You took your own sweet time. Have fun?" There was a bite in Ten's sarcasm. "Actually we did," Lum replied, refusing to be shaken. "And you?" Ten steepled his hands. "Well, let's see. Sugoi has almost figured out everything we're doing. She brought a Terran of her own up, so I suspect she knows everything now." "She what?!" "Oh wait, there's more. I've saved the best part. I haven't decided whether this is good or bad news, though. It seems that the analyzers brought in to study Cherry's brain scan were both Pochik men. They weren't too pleased to find their patriarch implicated, especially since they knew first hand that it wasn't true. They assumed tampering." "So they found out what we did?" Ataru asked. "No, no. This is the good part. They assumed it was the Azu's, arch-rivals of the Pochiks, who tampered with the scan. In retaliation they reedited the scan to implicate Azu Des. Both families are denying everything, and are currently remembering all the old wounds they hold between themselves." "How bad is it?" Lum asked. "Pretty bad. They're massing forces at Uinod." Lum fell into her chair, and sighed. "Uinod again. It's been a century." "You forget how old Pochik Vel is. He still remembers." Ataru was rapidly losing track of the conversation. "What's Uinod?" "I'm sorry, Darling. It's a slave planet conquered about a hundred years ago by a Pochik fleet. It was a hard battle. There were quite a few Pochik casualties. Because their fleet took the planet, when they went to the Emperor, my grandfather, they assumed that the planet would be automatically granted to them." "But it wasn't?" Ten continued the narration. "No, normally it would have been, but the Azu patriarch, Azu Cen, I believe, had done some considerable political maneuvering. Planets were exchanged, favors were called up. Uinod was rich in water and iron. The Emperor awarded the planet to the Azu's." Lum took over. "It was a bad political move on my grandfather's part. He hadn't considered the casualties of the Pochiks. They felt that they had paid for this world in blood. They didn't give it up without a fight. The imperial fleet had to intervene. It was a bloody mess. The current Pochik patriarch was on the original invasion fleet. It was his first mission." Ten completed the story. "There's been a cold war between the families ever since. Not that this is the only problem between the families, their feud is centuries old, but this is a major one." "How about the other families?" Lum asked. "It's all too new. The other families haven't reacted yet, but you can be sure they'll all get involved on the usual sides." "And my father?" "No word yet, but I assume that he'll get in touch with you first. He'll want the fleet." "But all we did was change the name on a brain scan," Ataru said. "We lit a fuse," Ten answered him. "I should have seen this coming." "If it wasn't this it would have been something else," Lum consoled him. "Don't blame yourself." She closed her eyes and began rubbing her temples. "Do you think they'll go to war?" "Yes. They've drawn the lines. You know how stubborn both families can be. People from both families have requested leave." "How are repairs going?" "As you'd expect. They've barely had a chance to clear the rubble." Lum stood and went toward one of the walls. She absently studied it, tracing the seams with her finger. Reaching a decision, she made a fist and slammed it into the wall. "Computer! Communications: Bridge," she commanded. "Yes, Princess," came a voice. It was a young voice, a night watch lieutenant. "What's your family name?" Lum asked. "Seq, Princess." "Good. I want you to wake up the generals. Have them meet me in the conference room in a hundredth." "Yes, Princess." "Thank you. Out." "What are you going to do?" Ataru asked. This ship won't be ready for interstellar travel for a week and a half, if we pushed it. I'll have to leave it. We'll leave a skeleton crew. We'd best let the Pochik's and the Azu's go. I don't want the war breaking out in the halls." "If you do that," Ten offered, "you leave the Seq's with a larger majority." "Can't be helped." "What can I do?" Ataru asked. Lum turned to Ataru and then to Ten. "I want to be able to announce him as soon as possible." Ten was surprised. "I would still like to be cautious. Once you announce him, he becomes a target. Also you'll lose all Seq support, plus a couple of their supporters. We can't afford that now." Lum got an idea. "How much is Rei in Ran's grip?" "He went to her on his own tonight. I'd say pretty well." "Just to get him out in the open, what if Rei announced that Darling was his servant who he assigned to protect me during the war?" Ten thought. "I don't know if Rei is quite ready to be on our side yet, and Sugoi is still on board. She's certainly not going to buy that story." "You've already said that Sugoi's probably on to us. We're going to have to silence her anyway." "You don't want her killed, do you? She is Rei's sister." "I don't want her killed," Lum said. "Ten, you have such a violent mind." "Occupational hazard." "We could leave her on Earth," Ataru offered. "I also was just thinking of leaving her on Earth," Lum agreed. "And how do we get her there? We don't have much time." Lum tried to organize her thoughts. She knew she could work all this, she just had to figure out how. "Ten," she began, "go to the conference room. Tell the Azu and Pochik generals that they and their people are excused. After they're gone, explain our situation to the rest and see if you can set up the crew transfer. I'm going to find Rei. I'll be there as soon as I can." "I'm not the most respected individual among the brass around here." "You're working on my authority. Tell them that I'll be on my way. They'll start arguing anyway, so I'll have time. Just don't let it get physical." "I love these assignments she gives me," Ten said to Ataru. "One more thing, Rei is probably with Ran, and it's late. I don't think he'll want to talk right now." "We don't have the time. Besides, catching him in the act, as it were, will greatly help my argument." Lum was thinking furiously, trying to figure how to argue this to Rei. It would have to be simple. Ataru asked again, "What about me?" "You," Lum said, "are going to meet Rei. Let's go." Lum went for the door. Ataru shrugged his shoulders and followed her. Ten watched them go. "I'm impressed," he thought, "If she handles it right, this civil war could be just what she needs." [End of Part 8] Alt-Urusei Yatsura IX My Dream has Soured _______________________ Lum stood with Ataru in front of the door to Ran's quarters. Her boldness had melted away somewhat and now she was hesitating. She turned to Ataru, "When it comes down to it, he's still cheating on me." "I thought that's what you wanted?" ?It is, but . . . well before the dreams started I had every intention of marrying him." "I can stay hidden a while longer. Ten's room isn't so bad." Lum stared into Ataru's eyes, almost willing to accept his offer. "No. Ten's playroom is a prison cell. I want you standing with me, not hidden away somewhere. I want to be allowed to love you, Darling." "Then you had better go in," Ataru said matter of factly. Lum face grew determined. She turned to the door, unlocked it with her thumbprint. It was dark. They walked in. It was as they expected. Rei and Ran were sleeping together in Ran's bed. Both were apparently naked. Lum stopped short, and almost turned around at the sight of them together, but Ataru stopped her. She drew a breath and sat down next to Rei, waking him. It took him a couple seconds for him to recognize the face beaming down at him. When he did, he sat up with a start. "Lum!" He fumbled with the blankets to try and cover himself. "Lum, I ah. . . It isn't . . . Lum." "It's okay." "It's not what --huh-- It's what?" Ran started to stir. "Rei dear," she said dreamily, "please hold me again." "Ran dear," Lum said, "sorry to intrude." Ran sat up quickly. Ataru got an eyeful. Ran saw him and worked to cover herself. "Mistress, my heavens, but I thought . . ." "It's okay, Ran." "I don't understand," Rei admitted. "The Pochiks and the Azus are going to war, so you and I have got to work some things out." "Now?" "Yes, especially now. Rei, tell me honestly, how do you think I feel about you?" Rei remained quiet. "It's okay, Rei. I think I know the answer." "You don't like me," Rei said simply. "Well, I like you, but I don't love you. Do you love me?" Rei had to think about this one. He looked at Lum, and then hesitantly he turned to Ran. Her eyes said that she was placing a lot on his answer. He turned back to Lum. "No," he admitted. "Exactly. So why are we getting married?" "My mother said so." Ataru started to laugh. Lum quieted him with a look, and then said, "My father told me I had to. Let's see if we can work something out here." Lum reached out for Ataru, who came to her. "Rei, this is Moroboshi Ataru from Earth." Ataru offered his hand. Rei ignored it. "The dream?" Rei asked. He didn't seem too pleased to see Ataru. "Yes. I love him, and want to marry him. You love Ran, don't you?" Rei was still trying to come to grips with the presence of someone, up until a couple moments ago, he considered to be a deadly rival. He still hadn't given up his plans of obliterating the island of Japan just to get Ataru. "Rei," Ran spoke up, a little disturbed by his silence on this matter. "You do love me, don~t you?" Rei turned to Ran and took her hand. "Yes." Ran let go of her covers and gave Rei a joyful hug. She saw Ataru again, and immediately remembered her embarrasment and her covers. Rei turned back to Lum, "But my sister?" "That's where I need your help. I think I can arrange it so that you'd be free to marry Rei and I'd be free to marry Darling. Are you with me?" If it had been anyone else in the Empire, there might have been discussion of the throne, or the political ramifications for the Seq family, or the concept of a slave and an alien ruling the Empire. If it had been anyone else, Lum would have had to account for these issues. Rei, however, was far more concerned with getting Ran and getting out of his sister's microscope. He nodded. * * * Lum entered Sugoi's second room quietly. Ten had discovered almost to the moment that she got it. Lum was alone, and once again was very happy that her thumb opened all the locks on the ship. In the light of the doorway, Lum saw Sugoi. She was fully clothed and sleeping quietly on a small couch. Lum was startled by a loud snore and turned to see Megane, still held in his chair. His head was sunk to his chest. "Of all the people she could have gotten," Lum thought. Satisfied that they were both there, she backed out and threw in a stun pellet. She carried them out of the room, and laid them together on a lift pad. "They look like such a wonderful couple", Lum thought. She then pushed the pad to the hangar bay. Lum noticed that Benten's fighter was in the bay. She considered briefy getting Benten to fly them back to Earth so that Lum could get to the generals sooner, but Lum needed to talk to the people herself, to make arrangements for Sugoi. * * * She carried them into a shuttle. Placing them next to the sleeping Cherry, whom she had stolen from his prison cell. In all the confusion she hoped that people would just forget about him. Once she got them all down, Lum hoped, all she would have is her Darling and that's all she wanted. Lum called the school and had them get Professor Onsenmark, who apparently was still at the school. Waiting the government people, no doubt. She told him that she was coming down with a present and asked him to make sure that she wouldn't be shot at. She got permission and went down to the planet. Her three passengers woke up as she was landing in the school courtyard. Onsenmark was there to greet them. "Lum!" Sugoi exclaimed noticing her new surroundings. "What are you doing?" "Keeping you out of trouble. You wanted to learn about the Earth. Well, now you'll have plenty of time." Lum opened the door. "Everyone going to Earth had better get off." Lum wanted to get this over with quick. She didn't want to think about what the generals would do to each other if left alone. "You are releasing me?" Cherry asked, coming up to Lum. "What of Shinobu and the boy?" "Shinobu is already here," Lum answered. "My Darling is staying with me." "You have already consumed his soul, then?" "What? Please Cherry, will you listen. I love him. I am not a demon." "You look like a demon." Lum was feeling that headache coming on again. "Go! You're free! Go away!" Onsenmark entered the shuttle. "You have quite a party in here," he said. "Nice pajamas, Megane. Where is Ataru?" "He's back on the ship. He had other business," Lum explained. "I'd like you to do me a favor. And you too, Megane." Megane was not quite sure what was going on. "What I want to know first is who abducted me?" "Sugoi abducted you," Lum said. "And I got some very interesting information," Sugoi said pushing her way to Lum. "You'll destroy the Empire if you free the slave planets." "I'll make the Empire a better place to live. I pity you Sugoi, and all the other Uruseians who can't see how horrible our Empire is. There are good people here. If you want to learn the real underlying truth behind what I'm doing, you can learn it here." "You'll never defeat the families," Sugoi spat. Lum sighed. "I expected better from you." "What's the favor?," Onenmark asked. "We're leaving, almost immediately. I'd like you to take of her," she indicated Sugoi, "for a while." "You're leaving?" Onsenmark inquired, "For how long? I thought your ship was damaged?" "It's an emergency. We'll be leaving the damaged ship behind." Lum felt a twinge of regret when she said that. "What should we do with her?" "Keep her out of trouble, and away from transmitters. I'd rather you didn't give her to the government people, though." "But she'd be the very proof I'd need!" "I know, but I don't think that they would treat her very well." Lum switched languages. "Megane, you speak Uruseian, don't you?" "Yes," he responded. Lum turned back to Onsenmark. "You can put Megane in charge of her." "It is not good to get involved with the internal affairs of demons," Cherry counciled. "He's probably right for a change," Lum admitted, "but I need your help. She's dangerous to me." Onsenmark considered. "I really don't know very much about you or her," he said. Megane spoke up. "This one held me and lied to me." He indicated Sugoi. "I believe Lum." Onsenmark was surprised. "Megane, now," he thought. Perhaps there was hope for the world after all. "That's good enough for me. I'll do it. When will you be coming back for her?" "We're going to war. It could be a while. We may never come back." Lum got up and opened a wall compartment. She gave Onsenmark a small box. Sugoi immediately recognized it, and focused on it. Lum noticed. "This is a sub-space transmitter. I've tuned it to transmit on only one signal. I'll be monitoring it. Don't abuse it, but keep in touch. I'll call you to tell you what is going on. Do not let Sugoi near it." Onsenmark studied the strange box. "You're giving us a link to the Empire." "Yes. Whatever happens during the next two weeks will be very important for Earth. I do want you to know that if I die, Earth will be turned into a slave planet within days after this war ends. I don't know if you could actually prepare, but at least you'll know." Everyone was silent, considering Lum's words. Cherry was the first to speak up. "It is true, then. Our freedom rests on the Moroboshi boy." "Yes, it does," Lum admitted. "The freedom of the entire galaxy rests on him, really." "I will pray for you," Cherry said. "Thank you," Lum said, glad that she had finally won Cherry over. Megane was in awe at the words he was hearing. Ataru Moroboshi could not be that important. Ataru Moroboshi was someone whom he had walked to school with. Ataru Moroboshi was someone with whom he had spent weekends cruising through the marketplace. Ataru Moroboshi fell asleep in class. Ataru Moroboshi talked with his mouth full. Ataru Moroboshi was not someone on whom the fate of the galaxy hung! Megane looked to the brooding Sugoi, and recalled what happened earlier in the evening. She had abducted Megane to find out about Ataru Moroboshi. Lum had stopped the invasion because of Ataru Moroboshi. Megane could not convince himself that any of this was true. What could Ataru Moroboshi have possibly done to become so great? * * * The meeting with the generals had gone precisely as Lum had predicted. The Azu and Pochik leaders had gone, and the remaining generals were now arguing violently about which would get the better rooms on the remaining ships. Ten had long since given up trying to control the situation. He was sitting back with his feet up, cleaning his fingernails. Rei and Ataru walked in the room. Even though Ten knew that Lum had planned to bring Ataru into the open, he didn't expect to see him here, now. The shock nearly caused him to fall out of his chair. Ataru winked at Ten as they entered. The generals stopped their bickering to welcome Rei. They were also very curious about the slave who he had brought with him. "Got him from Earth," Rei explained. This initiated a lot of shocked expressions. "But the Princess?" came one shocked response. "I've trained him," Rei continued. "He's a gift for Lum. Another servant." The generals didn't know what to make of it. Ten's skin was crawling with anticipation. Suddenly Rei's uncle, General Seq Yethiz, broke out in loud laughter. "Very good nephew!" he exclaimed. Approving smiles came from the other generals as well. Seq Yethiz approached his nephew. "Shove him right in her face, too. We'll show her she just can't go around arbitrarily telling us which planet we can or can't invade." "What's your name, slave?" asked one of the generals. "Moroboshi Ataru." The generals gasped. Yethiz took Rei aside. "I thought you said you trained him! And what's with the accent?" "I forgot about the name," Rei responded. He turned to Ataru, and tried to act imperious. "No surnames," Rei commanded. Ataru didn't understand. "What do you mean?" he asked. This caused more gasps. "No surnames," Rei repeated. Ten spoke up. "He's trying to say that slaves don't use their family names in front of Uruseians. And you also don~t ask Uruseians to explain themselves." "Then how am I supposed to . . ." Ataru didn't get to finish his sentence. He felt a sharp pain as the back of Rei's hand struck his face. Ataru was knocked back. He almost lunged back at Rei, but stopped himself. "It looks like he needs a little more training, and manners," Rei's uncle said. Ataru stood straight, working to control his anger. "My name is Ataru," he said. "Just Ataru." Seq Yethiz went to Ataru, and studied him. "Your planet is new to the Empire boy, so maybe we can forgive your disrespect this time. But you had better learn quick that it's the Uruseian race who are the masters of this galaxy, and the families are the masters of the Uruseians. As the member of a new slave planet you are the lowest of the lows. Feel yourself lucky that you get to participate in our little joke and serve the Princess. Remember this, though, if you don't learn some respect quick, joke or no, I~ll see that your flesh is ripped from you cell by cell over the length of a week." Ataru was not ready for this world at all. He quickly decided that he did not like this general. The reason for Benten's attitude was becoming all too clear for Ataru. Ataru felt anger boiling up inside of him, but he held it back. He took a breath and relaxed himself. "Yes, sir!" he said. The general studied his eyes. "There is some fire in you, isn't there? Well, one way or another we'll snuff it out." The general went back to his colleagues with Rei in tow. Ataru remained where he was, trying to control his temper. Ten studied him, unable to do anything to help. He felt bad for Ataru. If Lum had been there, Ten knew, Yethiz wouldn't have dared to berate Ataru like that. Everyone knew how much Lum disliked the punishment of slaves. Ten was glad that Ataru had figured out the situation quickly and didn't try to talk to Ten, or to get help. Ataru's day would come. Judging by Ataru's expression, Seq Yethiz would regret what he had done this day. * * * It wasn't too much later that Lum arrived at the conference. Everyone made their bows. She noticed Ataru in the corner. He didn't look at her. She glanced over to Ten, who just shook his head. "Who is this?" she said indicating Ataru. Seq Yethiz pushed his nephew forward. Rei stood before Lum, trying to remember his lines. "He is a gift for you." "A gift?" Lum said incredulously. "I don't keep slaves. Where is he from?" "Earth," Rei said. "Earth?! Earth was to be left alone! I ordered it!" Lum's act was getting smiles from the other generals. Yethiz came up. "Come now Princess, you're not going to embarrass your fianc in front of his superiors by turning down his gift, are you?" Lum was trying to look very angry, which wasn't difficult when Yethiz was involved. He had no mercy toward anything. It was well known that he would torture his subjects just for sport. It was he who forced Lum's father to accept the planned marriage. It was he who blocked her father's every attempt at giving some protection to the slaves. Lum had learned to steer clear of him whenever she could. "I suppose I can't," she said. Yethiz smiled. "I suppose not." Yethiz motioned to Ataru. "Boy!" he spat. Lum watched Ataru come over. Something was horribly wrong with him. As Ataru approached, she noticed that the side of his face was red. It was becoming very difficult to retain the act, but she knew the stakes. Ataru was maintaining his control, she could maintain hers. When Ataru reach Yethiz, Yethiz turned him toward Lum. "He's all yours, Princess." "What's your name?" Lum asked. "Ataru," he said without raising his eyes. The sound of his voice ripped through Lum soul. She wanted to run, hold him and tell him how sorry she was. She should have never put him through this. She retained control, though. "Come here," she said kindly. Ataru walked over to her. He never looked up. Lum reached out and lifted his chin. Their eyes met, and she saw his pain and humiliation. She was almost overcome by it. Holding back her tears she said, "Don't worry. I'll treat you well. It'll be all right." "Yes, maam." Lum turned to Ten. "Ten, take him back to my room and get him cleaned up." Ten stood. "Yes, Princess," he said, and escorted Ataru out. Lum began the meeting. * * * When the doors closed, Ataru started to speak but Ten stopped him. "Wait until we get back to Lum's room," Ten said under his breath. Ataru remained silent. It seemed like an eternity before they got to Lum's room. The door closed and Ataru screamed, "I want to kill him! Who do you people think you are?! This was a bad idea! I'm going to lock myself in that room downstairs and I'm never coming out!" "It's over now," Ten said sitting down. "You've been presented to Lum, no one is going to touch you anymore." Ataru was pacing madly back and forth. "How does she let that go on?!" "She's not going to," Ten said. "That's the point of all this, isn't it?" "And Rei hit me? I thought he was on our side." "He had to hit you. You were talking back to him. If he didn't hit you Yethiz would have. Which would you rather?" "Yethiz, was that his name?" "Seq Yethiz, yes. He's one of the worst. He even scares Benten." "If I ever marry Lum and become Emperor, he will be the first." "I wouldn't worry about it. The fact of the matter is, for you to marry Lum, you'll have to kill him first." "It wouldn't hurt my feelings. What did he say? I'll have your flesh torn away cell by cell over a weeks time. Can you do that?" "Oh yes," Ten admitted. "He's done it before too." "I'll remember that." Ten looked at Ataru worriedly. Ten was really starting to like Ataru. This change to violence and anger worried him greatly. "Ataru, my lad, take my advice. Let it go." "What?!" "Let it go. If you don't do this with a clear head you'll make mistakes." "He has got to pay! I am not going to forget what he did!" "Then he wins and you lose. The first thing you have to do to beat him is to not let him get to you. If you react to him, then you're letting him control you. That's what he intends. He doesn't want you to straighten up. He wants you to get angry so he has a reason to punish you. If you want to win, don't give it to him." Ataru's mouth hung open as he tried to think of a reason to justify his anger against Ten's arguments. Ten repeated. "Let it go. For Lum's sake, let it go." Ataru fell onto another one of the other chairs. His face was sour. "Ataru, let me tell you how things are," Ten said. "There are nearly one hundred billion slaves in the Empire, belonging to about sixty planets. Each slave planet is administrated by one of the twenty major families. Some of the families are quite benign to their slaves. The Redets almost let their people run themselves. The Azus, on the other hand, run their people into the dirt. It also depends on the individual. Pochik Ando is fairly good to his people. Pochik Vir, his younger brother, has been known to kill a slave just for looking at him wrong." "Aren't there any laws?" "Sure. There are tons of them, but it depends on the Emperor. Lum's father started out to be very powerful, a lot of things got cleaned up. But as he got older and it became apparent that he wasn't going to have any sons, people like Yethiz saw their chance. The Emperor has the power under our system. Lum has to marry to take the throne, and then take on the name of her husband's family. The Redets are done as rulers of the galaxy. If Lum married Rei, then the Seq family would take over. Yethiz would gain a lot of power very quickly. And more than normal for a member of the ruling family because he has Rei's ear. If he finds out, or Sugoi tells him about Ran and Rei, Ran would find herself transferred or very dead." "Does Ran know this?" "Oh yes. Oh yes, she knows. She's playing a dangerous game, but the rewards are high if she wins. Rei will be the next patriarch of the Seq clan even if he doesn't become Emperor, and with Yethiz out of the way she will have his ear all to herself. The Seq family is extremely powerful." "But I thought we were going to destroy the families." "We're going to destroy the system of slavery, not the families. Some will get wiped out, because they'll never accept the new system, but we'll always have the families." Ataru stared at Lum's door. The universe was getting much bigger for him. He started to think out loud. "If I marry Lum, then my family, Moroboshi, will be the imperial family." Ten rolled this idea around in his head. "Essentially, though you don't really have the wealth. I wouldn't hold your breath, though." "Why?" "Even though Sugoi is gone, and there's general confusion now, the situation is much more dangerous." "How so?" "Of the major families the top four are the Seq, the Redet, the Pochik and the Azu. Lum could get a lot done by vying the Seq, the Pochik and the Azu against each other. As long as they couldn't get together, Lum could do whatever she wanted. Now it's just her and the Seq." "But you said there were twenty major families. How about the other sixteen?" "'Major' is a relative term. The Uio, the Dedron, and the Telio are significant, but they're not going to contend against the Seq. Especially the Uio and the Dedron. Uio usually ally with the Seq, and the Dedron recently had a difference of opinion with Lum. There won't be any help there. The Telio will help, but it won't be enough." "How are we supposed to win then?" Ten was silent for a bit and then said, "Ran has to keep Rei in check and Yethiz has to die." * * * Lum finished the meeting. She didn't want to know, but she asked anyway as she made her way back to her room. "Computer: time?" "Point 10:28." In a couple tenths it would be time to get up, she thought, but it didn't matter. She wasn't going to be getting any sleep. The evacuations had started and she had to move her own things to the other carrier. They were going in with nothing. The Azu and the Pochik each took their battle cruisers. Lum's own carrier was out. All that was left was the Seq carrier and a bunch of small destroyers. Fortunately, the Redet fleet would be there as well, along with some other minor forces. Lum hoped it would be enough. Lum was sure that, despite Yethiz promises, the Seq fleet wouldn't come. How wonderful it would be if everyone's fleet was destroyed except the Seq. Lum entertained visions of Ran and Rei sitting together in the Seq family house. It made her a little happier. Then she remembered Ataru. These next few days would be very hard on him. She would have to make sure that she didn't expose him too much to Seq Yethiz. She entered her room and ran to Ataru, who accepted her. "I'm so sorry, Darling. I didn't think that would happen." "It's okay. Ten's explained the situation to me. I can take it. We have to win this one, though. I'm not going to be your slave, forever." Lum pulled back a little. "Please don't call yourself a slave. It hurts too much to hear you say that." Ten stood up. "I think I'm going to go now," he said. "Things to pack, schemes to hatch." He left. "I feel so bad about what I did to him in the dreams," Ataru said, changing the subject. "He got you too, if I remember right." Ataru kissed her. They held each other close until Lum pulled away. She smiled. "We have to pack," she said. "I said I'd be ready to transfer my flag to the Seq carrier in less than half a tenth." "A tenth?" "A little more than two Earth hours." "Oh. Well, I have all my things packed," Ataru joked. "Now what?" Lum let him go. "Now, you help me." * * * Benten lay sprawled on top of the pile of dirty clothes on her bed. She was fast asleep. Mendo was balled up on one of Benten's chairs. More dirty clothes and papers had been moved out of the way to make a place for him. They had talked for quite a while and then began to doze off. Benten had decided that a morning was as good as a night. She'd take Mendo back in the morning, first thing. There came a knock on her door. There was a pause and then it was more insistent. "Lieutenant!" came a voice. "Lieutenant! Get up. It's important." Benten, in an effort to get up rolled out of bed and hit the floor with a clunk. "Shit." She slowly got to her feet and went to the door. "What the hell do you want?!" she yelled through the door. Mendo started to stir. "Get packed! The Azu's and the Pochik have gone to war. We're evacuating to the Seq carrier. They want us all there in a half a tenth!" "Yeah, whatever," Benten said wearily. Mendo, barely awake now said, "What is that all about?" Benten turned to Mendo and in horrid realization found herself suddenly awake. The word "evacuate" shot through her mind. A thousand bad possibilities filled her head. "We're in deep shit," she said. [End of Part 9] Alt-Urusei Yatsura X No Need to Dream Anymore Written by Lew Burden Edited by Joe Rispoli (Based on Characters and Situations Created by Rumiko Takahashi in her manga series, Urusei Yatsura.) _________________________ The evacuation had finally begun. Lum was in one of the main flight hangars overseeing the bulk of the crew transfer. Ataru stood next to her, dressed in the traditional garb of a royal servant. Ataru had to admit that his new set of clothes didn't look half bad, and he was finally out in the open. There were Uruseians everywhere. They were busy hauling supplies around, and checking room assignments. Flights were coming in and out. A line of people formed in front of Lum. She, with the help of Ataru, was directing them to their new assignments. It wasn't going to be quite as comfortable. People were doubled and tripled up, except, of course, for the generals. Lum did finally make that concession. Though she still had the pleasure of making a few of them unhappy with the room assignments. She felt that single occupants should get single sized rooms, instead of the suites that they wanted. Lum reserved the larger suites for those who were forced to triple up because of the Generals. In the midst of checking people in, Lum saw Benten's fighter swinging around for its approach. Benten was a little late, but that didn't surprise Lum. No doubt she had tried to stuff her life into a couple of garbage bags, and then, after a thousandth of refusing the laws of physics, finally conceded and got a third bag. Benten made her home at wherever she was, but she didn't move well. Benten landed, and the canopy opened. Lum nearly dropped her computer board. Benten stepped out of her fighter, and Mendo followed after her as if it was no big deal. "I don't understand," Ataru said. "Take over!" Lum commanded shoving the board at Ataru. "I'm sure as hell am going to find out." Lum made straight for Benten. Benten greeted her with a friendly wave. "Hey ya Lum! Looks like all this fuckin' sneaking around was for nothing." "Keep your voice down," Lum urged in a hoarse whisper. She was conscious of people watching them. "What?" Benten said in a softer voice. "Who ya hiding now? Old Aho's right over there, signing people in." "We're still hiding him. He's a present from Rei now, and don't call him 'Aho.'" "You're a little touchy. Rei?! When did Rei join our little troop?" "It's a long story, but first I'd like to know why Mendo isn't back on Earth." "Oh, you mean my brother." "Your brother?" Lum inquired skeptically. Mendo walked forward. "You see, we got to talking." "He speaks Uruseian," Lum observed. "Yeah," Benten said, and then went on to explain, "Well, I had spent all this time on Earth with him and was never even able to say hello." "It's a neat machine," Mendo added, "and I'd also wanted a chance to talk to Benten." "And it turns out that we had a lot to talk about. I didn't think a couple minutes . . ." "But we started to doze off," Mendo interrupted. "I didn't show him the bridge!" Benten protested. "I was hoping that we'll be able to do that later." "Well, nobody said anything about an evacuation last night! What's so funny?" Lum was desperately trying to hold back a laugh against the rather comic situation in which she was thrust. She wasn't sure whether she should laugh out loud or lay into Benten for disobeying orders. Lum decided that this was probably a good situation for Benten, and there wasn't anything they could do about it anyway. There'd be no more trips to Earth for a while now. But Lum wasn't going to let Benten off easy all the same. "Ataru," Lum called, "would you bring the room assignment list here, please." Ataru left the line and came over. "Hi, Mendo what's your story?" "I'm Benten's brother," Mendo announced. "And yours?" "Lum's personal slave." "Ooh, a love slave perhaps?" "I'm hoping." Lum snatched the clipboard from Ataru's hand. "You're too eager," she clipped. She studied the board momentarily and then looked up at Benten. "Your brother, huh?" "Yeah, I figure if Rei's sister can visit, then my brother can." "Oh yes, perfectly acceptable," Lum agreed cheerfully, making Benten a little suspicious. "It's pretty crowded, but if he's your brother then I'm sure you wouldn't mind sharing a room with him." Mendo's mouth dropped. Benten's response was in her own fashion. "The hell I won't! I don't room with anyone! Besides," she said moving closer to Lum, "he's a guy." "What's that?" Lum said in a voice that she had learned from Ten. It was a voice that held nothing but sincerity, but at the same time unmistakably conveyed to the listener that the speaker was having endless amounts of fun at the listener's expense. "Is that modesty I'm hearing?" "No! Hell. But all the same I don't want him gawkin' at me. I'm used to having my privacy." "Well, as far as privacy, you did have your own room. You're the only one below the rank of Fleet General who does, or did, rather. And that's only because you've built such a reputation for orneriness that the other women would rather triple up than room with you." Benten grinned. "I do good work." "Hmm. As it stands there's no other place to put him. We certainly can't put him in with other Uruseians. You two will just have to work something out. You're at 251E. I'm afraid it's a bit small, but it was supposed to be a single." Lum had that look of triumph that Ten got. It was a look that Benten just wanted to hit. Mendo was red with embarrassment. He was also a little frightened. He was more than willing to be Benten's brother, if it meant staying on the ship, but rooming with her? Besides the gender problem, there was her house keeping habits, and her temper. Benten muttered an expletive and brushed past Mendo on her way to her fighter. She pulled a garbage bag stuffed with clothes out of the cargo hold in the belly of the fighter. She threw it roughly at Mendo, who had to work to keep his balance against the impact. She pulled two more out and closed the hatch. Grumbling all the way, she drug the two bags over to Mendo and shouted, "Come on!" as she passed. When she reached Lum, she stopped and noticed Ataru. "Where's he staying?" she asked Lum. "He's staying with Ten," Lum answered. "Couldn't they triple up?" Lum sighed. "What did you tell me when I suggested we leave Mendo on the planet?" "That I'd look after him," Benten admitted reticently. "Right!" Lum said and went back to the 'check in' line. Ataru glanced between Mendo and Benten. He shrugged his shoulders and went after Lum. Benten watched him for a second and started moving again. Mendo moved up beside her, not knowing if it was safe to speak or not. Almost to the door out of the hanger, Benten stopped and turned to him. I got two rules. The first is: My stuff is my stuff. The second is: No gawkin', and definitely no touchin'!" Mendo nodded his acceptance, convinced that it was the only safe response. They went through the door, but once through Benten stopped again. She didn't say anything for a moment. Mendo wondered if there was going to be a third rule. She turned to look at him. She studied him intently up and down his body, then she met his eyes and smiled. "You can gawk a little," she said, and then continued on. Mendo was little shocked, but pleased. It was certainly much better than the war he was expecting a minute ago. He rushed to catch up with her. When he caught up with her she said quietly. "But definitely no touchin'." * * * After they finished overseeing the crew transfer, Lum and Ataru returned to Lum's ship to give the remaining crew their final orders. These were simply to pull back and enter orbit around Mars rather than Earth. Earth was off limits for any visiting, though joy rides on Mars were perfectly acceptable. ATV rides on low gravity planets were quite popular in the Empire. Additionally, of course, they were ordered to continue the repairs. Lum promised to try and be back before the repairs were completed. No one believed that. After she had dismissed the crew. Lum felt faint, weary from the long day. Ataru had to catch her. "It's been a very busy day," she to him. He helped her back up. "Neither one of us has slept in over a day." She smiled at him. "There's nothing to do until my Father calls. Why don't we go to my room?" "I thought you wanted to sleep?" Ataru asked. "I do," she said meeting his eyes. "I intend to sleep, but I think that I would very much like to fall asleep in your arms tonight." With that, she took him to her room. Entering it, she noted how empty it looked. Ran had been in charge of moving Lum's things. She obviously had been very thorough. All that was left were the two chairs which were standard to all rooms. "I've never shown you my bed, have I?" Lum asked. "No," Ataru agreed, but after looking around said, "And it doesn't look like I'm going to see it any time soon." "Oh it's here," Lum said. She turned to look at the area where her bed was. "It's going to be hard sleeping on a regular bed on the Seq carrier. This is the one luxury that I've allowed myself, and I'm afraid I've gotten spoiled." "What is it?" Ataru said moving closer to see at what Lum was looking. Lum took a couple steps forward and turned to face Ataru. She smiled at him and then said, "Computer: Zero gravity." Soon, Lum was floating in the air. Her hair too, was floating freely around her. "Ahh," she said and stretched back. "Now this is comfort." She turned to the amazed Ataru. "Care to try it, Darling?" Ataru tentatively stepped forward and encountered the inertial field surrounding the bed. It felt like walking into a wall of jello. He stepped back. "What's wrong?" Lum asked. "There's something in the way." "It's all right," Lum said. "Just push through it." Ataru did and soon found himself floating next to Lum. "It feels just like the lifter belts." "It's essentially the same thing," Lum said and pulled Ataru close to her. They kissed. They kissed passionately, turning and spinning in the weightless environment. After a time their mouths separated, but they continued to hold each other. "I'm scared, Darling," Lum admitted. "Of what?" Ataru asked, wondering about what such a person, who showed nothing but confidence, could be scared. "Of so many things. I've never been allowed to be frightened, but I am. We're going to change everything I've grown up with. Sugoi accused me of trying to destroy the Empire, and maybe that's what I'm doing. A lot of people are going to die because of what I'm doing, and if I'm wrong then they'll die for nothing." "Even with my short taste of slavery, Lum, and also with what Benten told me, I know that slavery is not living. I think that the slave planets would follow you into Hell if you offered them freedom." Lum pulled back and looked into Ataru's eyes. There were tears welling in her own. "You scare me most of all." "I would never hurt you." "Not intentionally, I know, but . . . Darling, you're the most dangerous man in the Galaxy, right now. Do you realize how much power you have? Especially over me? I would sacrifice the Empire and everyone in it for you, and I can. And maybe I already am. I love you so much. You're everything I thought you would be and more. I only wish I could have be the Lum I was in the dreams for you. The real me must be such a disappointment." Tears were forming in her eyes. The honesty of the inadequacies that she felt hurt. Lum pushed away from Ataru. "That's what scares me, Darling," she continued, "Somewhere inside me is the Lum you knew. I can't find it. I have her so neatly locked away. I'm scared that you'll grow tired of waiting for her. I'm just a shell with nothing real inside." Ataru pushed himself to Lum, and held her again. "I ran from the Lum in my dreams," he said warmly, brushing away her tears. "I loved her, but I still ran. Maybe I was waiting for the more complete version. You're everything that Lum was and more. You're no shell, that's certain. You're complicated and real. I'm in love with the Lum I've found here, the real one. I won't run from you anymore." They kissed again. * * * Lum opened her eyes. She felt the warmth of Ataru's body next to hers. His arms were around her. They had fallen asleep shortly after their conversation. They had slept in their clothes. Lum clasped her hand over Ataru's. "Soon, my Darling," she said quietly, "soon we'll have time." She felt a little refreshed after her rest and much more comforted. She wondered what time it was, but she dared not call the computer for the risk that she'd wake Ataru. She carefully opened his arms and pushed away from him. She stepped through the barrier and turned to look back at Ataru. It occurred to her that she did not dream. It was the first time in months that she didn't spend her night in Tomobiki with her Darling. Looking at his sleeping features she realized the reason. She finally had him in her real life. She finally felt his love when she was awake. She didn't need to run to him when she dreamed. She left the room, and called, "Computer: time." "Point 45:21." She had slept for nearly two tenths. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough to get her through another day. "Point 45," she thought. It was late morning already. Why hadn't her father called? She looked back to the door to her room. "No," she thought, "let him sleep." She made her way to the communications room. * * * Sugoi had been given Earth clothing, a school uniform, and was sitting in the nurse's office. She was there for two reasons. The first was that the government people had arrived. They were the typical suit and dark glasses type. Onsenmark had invited them into the Principal's office where he and the Principal were explaining the fantastic events of the earlier evening. The second reason that Sugoi was there was so Sakura could have a look at her. Sakura was concerned with the possible spread of alien diseases, or conversely any disease that Sugoi might not have an immunity to. Sugoi had explained through Megane that Uruseian science had long ago developed universal vaccines, and that there was no risk of any kind of contamination. Sakura, however, was not convinced. She argued that there was no such thing as a universal cure. It was best to be safe. The real reason for Sakura's insistence was curiosity. How often does a school nurse get a chance to examine an alien life form? Sakura did a complete work up, reflexes, blood test, tissue sample, throat examination. It wasn't long before Sugoi realized that she was being turned into a lab experiment. She was getting a little testy. "The hand on your wall clock has gone completely around!" she snapped. "When is your witch doctor going to be done?" "She's just a nurse, actually," Megane answered. "A nurse? If she pokes me again with another of those primitive needles I'm going to strike her. You tell her that. I am getting tired of this. I'm not carrying any diseases and she knows it." "It's best to be sure," Megane said, wishing he could be somewhere else. He had long ago given up devoting his emotions to patriotism for the Earth. Right now, he wished that he had never heard of Urusei. He wished that he could hide somewhere. He didn't like being a translator. "'Sure' nothing!" Sugoi continued her tirade. "She could have been sure in a quarter of the time, with a quarter of the jabs. She's lucky I let her do this to me at all!" "Sakura," Megane said, switching languages. "Are you going to be done soon?" Sakura looked up from her microscope, where she was studying the blood sample she had taken. She made a couple notes and then turned to Megane. "Done?" she said. "There are quite a few more tests that I have yet to do." "I don't think your patient is going to last that long." "Oh? Is she ill?" "No, just annoyed." Sakura looked over to Sugoi and her sullen expression. "Oh. I suppose I can hold off further tests until tomorrow. But still, we have to wait until Onsenmark gives us the 'all clear.' Ask her if she would allow some more tests until then." Megane already knew the answer, but he turned to translate the request anyway. He was saved by Professor Onsenmark entering the room. Sakura uttered a curse under her breath, and turned to Onsenmark. "They have gone?" she asked. Onsenmark sat down. He looked exhausted. "They grilled me for an hour," he said. "I don't think I convinced them of much. They're going to ask around to try and confirm my story." "If you gave them Sugoi, you would not have a problem." Onsenmark sighed. "I promised Lum that I wouldn't. And she's right, they'd examine Sugoi to death. We had better keep her." Megane rolled his eyes, but kept silent. Onsenmark continued, "I hope Lum moves the fleet away soon. I told them of her promise." "Where will Sugoi stay while we wait for Lum to return?" Megane asked. "I don't know. Lum mentioned that she may never come back. Sugoi could be here permanently." Sugoi listened to them talking. She didn't understand any of it, but she knew they were talking about her. She felt very vulnerable. She was beginning to realize how much she was at their mercy. She cursed Lum for leaving her here, exiled, an alien on a backward planet. She looked to Megane. He was her link to this world. Her best option was to gain his trust so that she could use him to contact her family. Onsenmark had a subspace transceiver somewhere. He would have hidden it, but it would not be impossible to find. She turned to Megane. "Megane," she asked sweetly, "what are they talking about?" "We're trying to decide where you should live while we wait for Lum." "Couldn't I stay with you? I'd feel so much safer." Megane studied her eyes. Her change of heart was suspicious, but he couldn't detect any deceit. Actually, all he was really noticing was how dark her eyes were. He shook his mind free. Staying with his family was the only logical solution because of the language problem, but he didn't trust her. He turned back to the conversation. "It would probably be best if she stayed with my family, at least until she learned our language." Onsenmark turned to Sakura for her opinion. She shrugged. Onsenmark turned to Megane. "She was placed under your care, I guess that will have to stand. Just see that she doesn't get away from you. If she's dangerous to Lum, she's probably dangerous to us as well." Megane turned back to Sugoi and took her hand. "I guess you'll be staying with me." Sugoi stood. "Thank you!" Sugoi squealed and threw her arms around a surprised Megane. * * * No sooner had Lum reached the communications room when her father called. She stood before the holo-audience as his image coalesced. "Greetings, my daughter." "Hello, Father." "You have heard the news?" "Yes. I've already evacuated our carrier, and transferred my flag. We're ready to go immediately." Her father smiled. "That's my girl. The Redet Fleet is already under way and will meet you there. I suggest you contact them soon. What do you expect from the Seq Fleet?" "They won't come. They'll wait and let us destroy each other. Father, I don't think we can win this one. This fleet's power is barely a third of what it should be. Without the Seq Fleet we won't be able to stop the combined Pochik and Azu Fleets, plus their allies." "What do you propose?" "Let them fight it out. We should take a lesson from the Seq and just let them destroy one another. Otherwise, we risk being completely dominated by the Seq after the war is over." The Emperor's face took on a look of disappointment which shot through Lum. "I did not expect you to give up so easily. Our job is to protect the Empire and everyone in it, no matter how stupid they may be. If we let the Families go to war, then chaos will not be far behind." Lum lowered her head. "I'm sorry, Father. I just don't see another way." Lum's father smiled. "Your father has not been idle. I have a wedding present for you." Lum looked up. "A wedding present, Father? I don't think that . . ." "Now, now. I understand Rei gave you a present, it is only fair for me to give you one as well." "You've already heard about that?!" The Emperor's smile grew broader. "I am the Emperor. Actually, it was your mother who told me. She heard it from Seq Yedis. She's very excited about it. An Earth boy, wasn't it?" "Yes, Father." "Quite an unique present. I wonder how Rei came by him? I recall that you had banned trips to the planet. How do you feel about Rei's present?" Lum studied her father's features. Did he know? All her plotting and scheming, and then half way across the galaxy had her father discovered her plans in less than a day. Perhaps, it wasn't just a matter of getting information, but more likely it was a measure of how well he knew her. "I love my present, Father," she said. "Good! Then my wedding present will be most appropriate. These are your orders. Proceed immediately to Uinod, and do whatever you can to cool tensions there. Make sure that the Seq Fleet shows up, it's imperative that they don't miss the party if it turns out there is going to be one." "Yes, Father." "Good girl. Come home as soon as you can. Good-bye." The image faded away. Lum stared at the empty space, confused. Her father amazed her. She was an open book to him. Everything she did, he found out about. Everything she felt, he knew. But it didn't go both ways. There was also some secret planning behind her father that she could never get in touch with. She hoped she could be as mysterious, when she became Empress. Well, she had her orders now. Lum paused to look around the communications room. She felt the emptiness of the ship. She so hated to abandon it. It was her first command. She had gone from a First Officer to a Fleet Commander, but it was this ship alone that she felt attached to. She went up to the bridge. There were only two crewmen manning it. It usually required twenty. She went to sit in the Captain's chair. One of the officers noticed her sitting and went to her. He stood at attention. "Princess! Do you have any orders?" Lum smiled. "No. I'm just saying good-bye to an old friend." The man was returning to his post when Lum called to him. "What's your name, Ensign?" "Renning Dall, Princess!" "Renning? Wasn't it a Renning Dall who saved my great- grandfather from a sniper?" Dall returned to position next to the Captain's chair. He smiled, filled with the pride of being noticed by a superior. "That was my grandfather. I was named after him." "I'm sorry I hadn't noticed your name before. Such loyalty must run in the family." "Very much so, Princess." "You have just one planet, don't you?" "Yes, ma'am. It was a gift to my grandfather." "That's also when you were entered into the list of Families." "Yes, ma'am. My grandfather was born a peasant." The Ensign was starting to look a little uncomfortable. That admission bothered him. "You're not comfortable with your grandfather being born a peasant, soldier?" "No, ma'am. I've often been the butt of jokes about it. Especially since I was named after him. My Family also has had trouble gaining acceptance because of it." Lum shook her head. "I met your grandfather just before he died. He was often a guest in the palace." "Yes, ma'am. I know." "He was a good man who knew who he was and where he came from. He earned his name. Very few of the other Families can say that. The fact that he is recent makes no difference. A thousand years ago, Redet was a peasant name. Fifteen hundred years ago Seq was as well. A thousand or a hundred makes no difference, your grandfather was a good and honorable man. Even if he was never entered into the list of Families, he would still be so. It's a great name that you carry, don't let anyone tell you different." The Ensign was trembling. "May I serve your Family as well as my grandfather did," he managed to spit out. Having been told that he was second class all his life, he was not ready to be raised to such heights. Lum put her hand on his shoulder, and met his eyes. "I expect nothing less. Who was placed in charge of the repair crew?" "Commander Redet Im, ma'am." "Of course. I want you to go immediately to her. Tell her what your name is, and then tell her I want you as the First Officer, in charge of repairs." "But ma'am, I'm only an Ensign. Lt. Seq Tedec is the First Officer." "How long have you been in the service?" "Six months, ma'am." "You're a Lieutenant. Now move!." The officer saluted smartly and rushed off the bridge. Lum watched him go with a smile. She knew that he would bend over backwards now to make sure that he did a good job. The repairs would go quickly. He would stumble some, but he would get them done, or die trying. It was personal involvement that really got things done. He wasn't working for the Empire now, he was working for the Princess. He'd remember the words of encouragement. He'd remember the promotion, and he'd remember his grandfather. She'd trade a green Ensign like that over a hundred seasoned veterans who felt that they actually deserved their post, or worse, deserved better. That kind would do just enough to get the job done, or to make it look like the job was done. Lum had little use for them. There was no love in what they did. Lum got out of the Captain's chair. She took a last look at the bridge. "You have to love something," Lum said aloud. This ship had been a good friend to her. "Princess?" inquired the remaining officer. "Nothing," Lum shook her head. She left the bridge and made her way to back to her room. Ataru was awake and waiting for her. As they made their way to the shuttle bay, Ataru noticed that there were tears in Lum's eyes. He reached over and wiped away one of her tears. "Why?" he asked. "This ship was my first command," she began. "Actually it's more than that. This is my ship. It was a gift. It's him I'm supposed to be taking into battle. I hate leaving it." Ataru took her hand. "It'll be here when we come back." Lum stopped, and turned to Ataru. "Before we leave, I should tell you that the odds are against us. We may not come back. I'll try to get them to talk peace, but honestly, we're going to war." "What kind of Emperor would I be if I didn't put my life on the line when my Empire needed me?" Lum hugged him. "That's what I hoped you would say," she said, and then whispered in his ear. "It's okay to be scared, though. I'm terrified. Don't tell anyone." He whispered back, "That makes two of us." * * * Soon the Fleet was off, leaving Lum's carrier behind. The Fleet accelerated to .25c which was as fast as their conventional engines could take them. They needed to escape Sol's gravity well before they could enter subspace. Otherwise the effect on the ships and the star system would be unpleasant to say the least. In interstellar travel, leaving a star's gravity well was the majority of the trip. It could take days depending on the size of the star. The subspace wormhole trip itself was almost instantaneous. Lum felt uncomfortable as she stood on the bridge of the Seq carrier which now carried the Imperial flag. Ataru was on her right. Seq Yethiz, the Commander of the carrier stood a little off to her left. Ataru felt uncomfortable being in the same room with him. "We'll be able to jump into subspace in five tenths," an officer reported. Lum and Yethiz acknowledged it simultaneously. "I'm sorry, Princess." Yethiz bowed. "I have not yet become accustomed to the change in command." "It is all right, General," Lum said. "I understand completely." She changed the subject. "When will we be able to expect the Seq Fleet?" "I have not heard specifically," Yethiz lied, "but I am afraid that they might be a bit late. They are currently subduing a world in the Tarsed sector. It was a high technology planet, and time for repairs will be required." "That's a shame," Lum said. "I've been considering that we should not allow either the Pochik or the Azu to retain this planet, in order to punish them for their lack of restraint. I thought the Seq House would be the better recipient of the planet's wealth. But it would be difficult to award a planet to a Family that did not participate in the battle." "I see," Yethiz commented. Ataru did not like the look in his eye. "It is also true," Yethiz continued, "that after this war the Azu and Pochik military will be sorely depleted. Perhaps if their required contribution to the Imperial Fleet was lessened to a number that they could better maintain. I'm sure that there are enough Seq soldiers to cover during the interim of recovery." Yethiz was asking a lot. The Seq contribution was already dangerously close to the Redet. Lum needed the Azu and the Pochik Families to have a significant number, to help keep the Seq in line. However, she had to have the Seq in the battle and therefore she had to give them something. "Do you believe that cutting their numbers by five percent apiece would help them?" "I would imagine ten percent would be closer. It will most likely be a bloody war." "It will," Lum agreed. "Perhaps seven percent." "Eight," Yethiz said. "Eight, and the Redet House will cover the Azu cut, while the Seq covers the Pochik." The Azu was the greater House. Their percentage cut would be greater. Yethiz didn't like that arrangement. He was hoping to close the gap between the Seq and the Redet numbers. He studied Lum's face, which clearly showed that the negotiations were finished. Yethiz had worked with the Princess long enough to know that she would negotiate only so far, and then she wouldn't budge. The deal was already sweet enough. Uinod alone was worth fighting for. Yethiz spoke. "I will call my sister and see if the repairs can be accelerated." "Thank you." Yethiz looked over to the obviously brooding Ataru. "What do you think of the might of an Uruseian Fleet, boy?" As Ataru worked up an answer, he kept repeating to himself, "If you let him get to you, he wins." He calculated his answer with this in mind. "We have large war fleets on Earth," Ataru stated as if he was bored. Yethiz was a bit annoyed at Ataru's tone, but he felt he could still win. "Large fleets, eh? They didn't seem to do you much good during the invasion." "If you had been willing to fight us face to face, honorably, instead of sneaking up on us, perhaps things would have gone differently." Again Ataru said this without emotion. However, the suggestion that he fought dishonorably incensed Yethiz. "Boy, sooner or later we will return to your planet, and we'll have this out again. I personally will invite you down to your planet on my shuttle so that you will see first hand its devastation, and know how pitiful your forces are." "There will be no return invasion," Lum interrupted. Yethiz was caught short. Ataru smiled at him, making him angrier. "Princess," he bowed and, barely holding his rage, left the bridge. Ataru was full of himself. "That felt good," he said quietly. "Don't play with him, Darling. He won't forget and he will pay you back." "That's part of how this game works, isn't it?" "It is, but I wish you would start with someone smaller. If you get him angry enough, he may stop worrying about offending me and apologize later." Ataru thought about this. "Maybe then, this would be a good time for you to teach me how to fight, Uruseian style." Lum turned to Ataru, thoughtfully. "Maybe it would." * * * In 251E, Benten and Mendo were encountering some problems. Their first shock when they entered the room, was its size. Lum wasn't joking when she said it was a small single room. It was half the size of Benten's other room, and she had always felt that too small. The second greater surprise was the bed. There was only one, and it too was small. Benten stood and stared at it for a long while. Mendo checked around the rest of the room. There was only one other chair and a desk. If Mendo had been Uruseian there would be no issue. Benten would insist that he sleep on the floor, and only if he bowed to her every whim she might offer him a blanket. But Mendo wasn't Uruseian, and Benten sort of liked him, but that bed! She imagined them both sleeping on it. It was far too cozy a picture for her tastes. "I'll sleep on the floor," Mendo offered, guessing and sharing her dilemma. Her eyes darted his way and then back to the bed. She threw both her garbage bags into a corner, then she took the one Mendo was carrying and did the same. Benten turned back to Mendo without speaking. Looking at him, she was seeing Lum as some sadistic matchmaker. Bunks could have easily been placed in the room. Benten knew that Lum would not have made such an oversight unless it was intentional. The question now was whether to get a bunk herself, or to tough it out. The reasons for toughing it out were questionable, but they were typical of Benten. She had an unbreakable stubbornness that she was proud of. And the fact of the matter was that Benten had shared small beds with her brothers before. Her family was not wealthy enough to afford beds for everyone. This would be no different, she felt. Getting another bunk would be the logical thing to do, though. Mendo couldn't believe the situation that he found himself in. Forced to share a small room with a beautiful girl, and an alien besides. He could think of worse situations. And here she was apparently considering letting him share a bed with her, even after he offered to sleep on the floor. This was much better than his imagination. Still, he was extremely nervous about the whole idea. Benten turned to Mendo and smiled. "Ya know what? Right now I just don't care. Come on, let me show what they have on these fancy ships." * * * Ataru let the Uruseian attendant dress him in the garb of this rather strange game that Lum was going to teach him. There wasn't much to it: two gauntlets, rubber bottomed shoes and a pair of black shorts with shoulder straps. Ataru almost wanted to call the straps suspenders, but they were thicker than that. Ataru hoped that this game wasn't too rough. He didn't have much protection. There was a lot of exposed skin with the outfit. The attendant seem rather pleased about something. It unnerved Ataru a bit. "What was this game called again?" Ataru asked. "Ossak," the attendant replied, chuckling. "What's the joke?" Ataru asked. "You'll have to ask Commander Rei," the attendant said. He then stood and pointed. "Through the far door is the playing field. It's at 10% gravity, so you might feel some initial dizziness. Watch out for the ceiling." "The ceiling," Ataru acknowledged and slowly made his way toward the indicated door. "Good luck," the attendant called. "Thanks," Ataru said turning. The attendant laughed. "Not that it's going to help." Ataru watched the attendant leave the locker room. He felt what little confidence he had oozing away. What was Lum getting him into? Ataru stepped out into the Ossak room. He immediately felt the change of gravity. He felt very light. Looking around the room, it occurred to Ataru that this was a very strange playing field. The room was a large box, very tall. White bars stuck out all over the walls. There were also several hanging from the ceiling. Around the higher part of the room was glass or something glasslike, behind which were viewing rooms. There seemed to be quite a bit of activity there. Ataru could see many Uruseians filling the rooms. This must be a very popular game, he thought. Looking across the room, he finally noticed Lum. He almost fell over. No matter how often he had seen her before, he was not prepared to see her in a tiger-striped bikini here and now. He nearly fell over laughing. Lum was a bit annoyed. She walked over to Ataru, dragging her feet all the way. "You find something amusing?" she asked dryly. Ataru tried to speak between peals of laughter. "Well, yes, no. You look nice, but the outfit. I didn't expect. . . " "I happen to like tiger-stripes. But Darling, if you find the familiar bikini funny, I'm sure you'll get a kick out of this." She reached down and touched his shoulder, sending a considerable amount of electricity through his body. Ataru jumped back in surprise. Lum blew imaginary smoke from her finger. "You may have wondered where the lightning bolts came from," she explained, rather pleased with herself. "Welcome to Ossak." "How did you do that?" he said rubbing his shoulder. "Don't worry," Lum said, "It's the gloves. They magnify a body's natural charge. I can't do that without them." Ataru looked at his own gloves, and formed an evil smile. "Do you mean I can shoot lighting bolts, too?" "Well, not shoot them," Lum said stepping back. "It's not quite that powerful. You have to touch the opponent." "Opponent?" Ataru asked. "Yes, this is a game. My favorite." Lum leapt into the air and caught a bar three meters up. "Come on up." Ataru jumped, but too hard. He shot straight for the ceiling, and slammed hard against it. Lum swung up to catch him, but he wasn't knocked out. He grabbed a bar on the way down. "I misjudged a bit." "Are you okay? I should have warned you. It's only ten percent gravity here. If you were on a planet, or more likely an asteroid, you could probably jump right into orbit." "I don't think anything's broken," Ataru said feeling sore. "How do you play this game?" "Maybe we should wait," Lum said, worried that Ataru was more injured than he let on. "I'm all right. How do you play?" Lum hesitantly explained the rules to Ataru. About the electricity, building a charge and keeping it, the point system. They also practiced a few maneuvers and swings. Ataru was initially awkward, and his side hurt a little. "All the bars are painted white," he said. "How am I supposed to tell which are metal and which are plastic?" "Trial and error. Just don't forget once you've found the plastic ones." "I think I'm ready to start," he said. "Are you sure?" Lum asked. "You still look sore." "I'm fine." Lum nodded and dropped to the floor. Ataru followed her and moved to the other end of the room. "Computer," Lum called. "Begin game between Redet Lum and . . ." "Moroboshi Ataru," Ataru finished. "Darling," Lum protested. "You were warned about using your family name." "Are you personally offended?" Ataru asked. "No, but. . ." "Then what does it matter?" Lum smiled. "It doesn't. I'll go easy on you for this game." Ataru grinned devilishly. "If you think that's necessary." He began rubbing his feet against the floor. Lum followed suit. She grinned back at him. "I'll have you know that I haven't been beaten in three years." "Then you're due." Lum leapt to a bar. She was determined to get a good first hit, to wipe that smile off his face. Ataru watched her, but kept building up a charge. Lum began to leap around, mostly jumping off the walls, but occasionally hitting the two bars she knew were safe. Ataru stayed where he was. It was becoming difficult to keep an eye on her, she was moving so fast. Suddenly, she was heading straight for him. He had little time to react. He dove into a roll, and kicked off the wall into the air. He went for one of the bars that Lum had used. Lum was a bit shocked at how fast he moved. She recovered, and sprang off her hands. She too, bounced off a wall. She had quickly noted where Ataru was and directed her bounce toward him. She hoped that a second immediate attack would catch him off guard. He turned barely in time to see her coming, and then swung up, keeping hold of the bar. Lum was completely caught off guard. With her target gone, she had nothing to check her movement. Ahead of her she saw a bar, but she knew it was metal. Her only other alternative was slamming into the wall. She was moving too fast to turn to use her feet. She was just moving too fast. She reached out for the bar, and immediately felt her charge drain away. Before she could fall to the ground to build up another charge though, she felt hands on her back. Her body went numb. She let out of shriek of surprise and they fell to the ground together. When they hit the ground, Ataru was concerned for Lum. "Are you all right? I didn't mean to hurt you." Lum turned hard on him. Her ego was bruised. "Claim your point," she said through her teeth. "What?" "I'll be fine. Claim your point." "Oh. Touch," he called out. "Moroboshi Ataru: 10 points / 10-0," the computer responded. In the observation lounges, excitement was mounting. The Terran had gotten the first point. Originally, only the attendants were there to watch the Princess bury the slave in her favorite game, but now the word was going out. As the game continued and Ataru's lead grew, soon the entire Fleet knew. The lounges were filled to capacity, and the game was being played over the ship's intercom. Someone had started announcing it. Bets were being made, and everyone was filled with anticipation. There was a steady din of activity that only became silent when Rei entered the room. He immediately felt self-conscious when he noticed everyone turn to him. He was going to leave, when Ran called him over. He nervously went to her. Hushed whispers followed him. His eyes were darting between all the faces. He was starting to sweat. Noise resumed after he sat down. "Isn't this wonderful?" Ran said, as Rei sat down next to her. "Yes, wonderful," he repeated absently. "He's actually beating her, and by quite a bit." She glanced over to a lighted panel affixed near the ceiling which displayed the score. "My heavens," she said. "It's 94-60. He's nearly won." Benten had also come. She was with Mendo, who was a little embarrassed about being next to her. "Come on, Aho!" she shouted, "It's about time that royal bitch got shown her place!" Everyone turned at that line. Benten smiled nervously back at them. "The Princess and I, we're friends, remember. Close friends." However, seeing that the people were still giving her accusing looks, she got annoyed and then yelled. "Mind your own fucking business, ya Uruseian bastards! You're missing the damn game!" They turned. Benten nudged Mendo. "Any other slave said that, they'd be shot on the spot." She smugly leaned back. "Ahh, it's fuckin' great being me." Mendo just lowered his head in shame. He was convinced that he had hooked up with the most obnoxious woman in the galaxy. Benten turned to him, and noticed his embarrassment. "Hey kiddo, I'm sorry," she said softly, "I get carried away that's all. It's just the way I have to be to get along here. I don't mean any of it. Well, most of it, anyway." Mendo sat up and studied her for a second. "The act is hard on you, isn't it?" he said in a concerned voice. Benten stopped short. Briefly, her eyes showed the truth, and then she turned back to the game. "Waaaooow! One more hit!" Lum was breathing heavily as she faced Ataru across the floor. Going easy on him went out after the first hit. She was playing the hardest game she had ever played. She felt much more tired than Ataru looked. He was dodging her almost every move. She couldn't hit him, and he remembered where the plastic bars were. She glanced up at the glass separating the arena and the observation areas. It was full up there. The entire Fleet must be watching, and soon the Empire would know. The Princess was finally beaten. She glanced to Ataru, and smiled with about as much energy as she had left. "And why not?" she thought. But she wasn't going down without a fight. She dove at him, expecting him to move out of the way. She would catch the wall, and then hit him coming back. But he didn't move out of the way. He caught her. The combined charge was too much for her tired state and she fell unconscious. The force of her leap sent them both slamming into the wall. Ataru absorbed the impact. He was a little dizzy when he called, "Touch." "Moroboshi Ataru: 19 points / 114-70. Moroboshi Ataru wins." Lum awoke in time to hear the computer announcement. Ataru still held her as he sat against the wall where they had landed. She smiled weakly. "You won, Darling. You deserve a present." She moved up and kissed him. The shock in the observation lounge was profound. Everyone pressed up against the glass. When the kiss was done, all eyes turned to Rei. He was oblivious to their attention, though. He stared sadly out the window at the two figures. "Good-bye, Lum," he said quietly. Jariten, who had been standing at the door during the last half of the game, simply said, "Sealed with a kiss." Benten said, "Shit." [End of Part 10] Alt-Urusei Yatsura XI "I Dreamed That I Was Someone Else." Written by Lewis Burden Edited by Joseph Rispoli Jr. (Based on Characters and Situations created by Rumiko Takahashi in her manga series, URUSEI YATSURA) Ten moved quickly down the hall, not knowing whether to curse or to be elated. He had a lot of work to do. He had a lot of damage control to do before all hell broke loose. He had left the observation lounge directly after Lum's kiss. He noted some flunkies of the other Family brass doing the same. The Fleet was under radio silence, but that wouldn't be enough to keep the generals from passing the word on to their superiors. Ten felt he could control the situation if he could keep it within the Fleet. What a horrible thing one kiss could be. Normally it was such a simple thing. If one looked at it scientifically it was a stimulation of a nerve concentration on the face, and an exchange of germs. It one looked at it from Ten's point of view, it was the symbol of romance, a necessary part of the subtle dance of partners to give sophistication to an act that was both base and beautiful. Others, of course, called it foreplay. But still it was a simple action, except in the Uruseian Empire when a Princess kisses a slave in front of thousands of her subjects, then it becomes a political faux paux of cosmic proportions. The situation was not hopeless, though. It set things in motion, but motion could be controlled, redirected into ways that were more constructive. It could be useful energy with the right steersman. Ten felt up to the job. He entered the bridge with supposed orders from the Princess to increase the radio silence to level 2. This meant that not only would there be no official outgoing messages permitted, but there was also be a low level jamming field activated, ostensively to keep an unknown spy on board ship from transmitting, but in this cause to keep the Families from using private transmitters. They activated it, and satisfied, Ten went to a local access panel outside the bridge and deactivated the control. No one would be able to turn the jamming off unless they found his sabotage. That would take some time. Ten's next step was Seq Yethiz. Ten didn't know where Seq was at the time, but he concluded from earlier encounters that the generals would be forming a meeting to discuss what best to do about the matter. That was good as far as Ten was concerned. Without Lum to organize them, it would be a while before they came up with a decision. The decision would inevitably rest on the shoulders of Seq Yethiz. Jariten would have to make sure that he was never able to carry that decision out. The generals would be terrified. It was bad enough that this slave won against the reigning champion in a game that was usually the sole purview of the Uruseian aristocracy. That alone would command some interest. The game was not easy to master. However, the win alone would only cause the generals to wonder. There would be some speculation and Ataru would command a little more respect, but nothing more. But that kiss. That kiss had to be the most terrifying thing that they'd seen in a while. For that reason, Ten loved the whole thing. All the same, however, it made Lum's situation very dangerous. Lum was known to be fairly chaste, a virgin in fact. One could call it a high moral standard, but actually she just worked too hard and never had the time. She was too dedicated. If Lum took the time to get romantic with someone, there had to be some real feelings. Everyone in the Empire knew that. Add that onto the fact that she had kissed him in a very public setting, and the greatest bonus of all, he wasn't Uruseian. The Uruseian public tolerated aristocratic affairs, but not in the open, and certainly not in the open with a slave, by the chaste Princess. The Families would be rightfully suspicious of this whole thing, especially when added to the knowledge that the Princess was sympathetic to the slaves, and that she didn't like Rei too much. Some of them might be almost intelligent enough to figure it out, Ten felt. Some of them might even be intelligent enough to make the leap into wondering that since the dream transmissions were from Earth and Ataru was also from Earth, there might be a connection. Seq Yethiz was one such individual and Ten knew he was too dangerous to be underestimated. Ten had a lot of work to do. * * * Ataru was not quite familiar enough with Family politics to understand the ramifications of what just had happened. He managed to beat Lum in a game, which in a different reality, he had suffered from greatly. He was filled with a certain satisfaction, and a great deal of bruises. However, as he got cleaned up and changed back into the servant's uniform he noticed an eerie silence from the once bemused attendant. Ataru watched as the attendant went about his business; providing Ataru with towels and soaps, gathering the used uniform and such. The attendant never looked up and never said anything. He purposely made longer trips to avoid getting too close to Ataru. Before Ataru knew it, the attendant was gone. Ataru got dressed and was about to leave when the attendant returned. He cleared his throat. "There are some people outside who would like to talk to you," he said. Ataru was bewildered. Who would want to talk to him? He was still disturbed with the demeanor of the attendant, but he said, "It's okay with me, I suppose. Is everything all right?" The attendant looked up and started to answer, but then opened the door. Many people began to slowly file in. Ataru was more bewildered than ever. They cast furtive glances at Ataru as they came in, but for the most part kept their eyes lower. Finally Benten shoved her way through followed by Mendo. "Come on, Come on," she said. "Here he is, you can ask him yourself." Ataru looked across the crowd that was in front of him. There had to be at least fifty people, men and women, only a little more than half of them were Uruseian. "What's going on?" Ataru asked. Benten laughed. "You really don't know, do you? Well Aho, you're a hero!" "A what?!" "Congratulations, Ataru," Mendo offered his hand. "I just played a game." "The Princess kissed you." One of the people spoke up. "That? That's noth. . ." Ataru stopped as he noticed the intense reaction the tone of his statement was causing in the group. "You've kissed her before?" Another asked. Benten stepped forward. "Aho, what you have here are a bunch of slaves and Uruseian peasants. These people don't belong to any important Family, but they're very loyal to the Princess. They're on our side. Right now all the Family big wigs are calling their mommies and daddies to tell on you and the Princess. They're probably going to want to lock you up. You need help. You can trust these people." "Shouldn't they talk to Lum?" Ataru asked. "They love Lum, but she's still a high-born Uruseian. You're one of us, and you just did something incredible. They want to hear from you. Tell 'em the truth." "Go for it Ataru," Mendo urged. Ataru looked over all their faces. He was amazed that they were actually waiting for him to speak. There was awe and wonder on their faces. Ataru was quickly starting to lose his nerve. "Hi," he said. Benten rolled her eyes. "Um, I'm uh, Moroboshi Ataru. I mean Ataru, just Ataru." He corrected himself in case anyone was offended by him using his Family name, but there was no reaction except he heard "Moroboshi" whispered a few times in the back. Ataru couldn't think of what else to say. He turned to Benten. "What do they want to know?" "The truth, Ataru. Who are you? How you met the Princess. You're a hero to these people. Now's the time. They'll keep your secret." "Shouldn't we asked Ten or Lum, first?" "Fuck 'em! Do you want to be Emperor or don't you? Damn!" "Emperor?!" came the chorus. With this, a rather large Uruseian man stepped forward. "Emperor? what is going on here? Are you planning a revolution? If you are, I'm out of it." There was a lot of agreement to this statement. He finished, "Who are you, anyway?" "I'm Moroboshi Ataru. I'm the Princess's dream boy." This drew a lot of gasps from the crowd. The large man was about to ask another question when Rei and Ran entered the room. Ran had watched Benten gather the people together, and decided to find out what was going on. Rei tagged along, but he also wanted to congratulate Ataru. When the crowd saw Rei enter they became quiet and moved out of the way. Rei became aristocratically stoic when he saw them. It was a reflex action. Everyone watched Rei. They feared a confrontation, but Rei only walked forward and put his hands on Ataru's shoulders. "Congratulations," he said. Benten spoke up. "Rei, everyone knows that Ataru was a present to Lum from you, where did you get him from?" "From Earth," Rei answered as he had been told to. "No Rei," Benten said. "The truth." "But I promised." Benten was wondering if she was the only one in the universe with any backbone. "I know," she said kindly as if she was trying to convince an eight year old to go on stage for his school play. "It's okay here." "Don't you know how it happened?" Rei asked innocently. Ran looked around the room. She knew a lot of the people, and guessed what Benten was trying to do. She said, "Lum told Rei to present Ataru to her in front of the generals. Ataru is from Earth, from the dreams," she said. "Lum wants to marry him." "But Rei -- I'm mean Commander Seq, your Family?" came a voice. Rei took a breath and met Ataru's eyes. "Lum is yours. I do not desire her. I want only Ran." Ataru was taking all this in, and was beginning to understand what was going on. He realized that he really had to seize this moment. This was a trial run. He couldn't be any help to Lum if was always holding on to her skirt. He had to be a leader in his own right. He stepped forward and steeled his courage. In a loud voice he said. "Lum and I want to change the Empire. We -- uh-- want to make it new. Lum and I met over light-years in our dreams, but this is reality." He ran out of words. He struggled to say something, anything that would fit. "I've only tasted slavery for a short time, but I know it has got to be changed. Lum and I are very much in love. Because of that love alone, Lum wants me as her Emperor. I would do anything for her." He ran out of words again. His sentences were coming in quick clips as he thought of things to say. "I don't have a great Family name, or planets to rule, a fleet, or a horde of subjects flocking to my call. I'm no aristocrat. I can only offer my love and support to Lum. You know what we're up against. We want to make your lives better. To give you back your rights. Benten said that you love Lum, and that I, for some reason have become a hero. When the time comes, will you join us?" It sounded so corny to Ataru. He was going to make a lousy Emperor if making speeches was his main job. Benten came forward and put her hand on Ataru's shoulder. "Good speech," she whispered to him, and then said. "This is our break, you bastards! He's our only hope. There are twice as many of us on these ships than there are the high-asses. With him and the Princess leading us, we have a chance. We'll be the legitimate ones, and they'll be the rebels. We can win!" Ran lifted Rei's hand and put it on Ataru's shoulder. He was a little confused about it, but looking at Ran's eyes he said finally, "I support the Princess, and her fianc." * * * Lum was finally cleaned and dressed. It took a while, because of how sore she was. She couldn't move as fast as she wanted to. Her Darling had worked her far harder than Rei ever had. She hurried as fast as she could to the men's locker room. She felt so stupid. She had ruined everything. Why did she have to kiss him in the open? Ataru was in dreadful danger now. She had to get to him quick. Hopefully, she would be able to hide him before the generals were able to made a decision. She reached for the door, but stopped when she heard a lot of talking inside. She was terribly worried that they would already taking Ataru into custody. Lum took a breath and opened the door. She was shocked by the crowd of people who suddenly became silent at her entrance. When the door closed, Benten shouted, "Long live the Princess!" "Long live the Princess!" came the response. Ran shoved Ataru over to Lum. He took her hand. "Long live the Emperor and his bride!" Benten yelled. "Long live the Emperor and his bride!" came the response. "What in the hell is going on?!" Lum shouted. She jerked her hand from Ataru and strode over to Benten. "What have you done?!" "What have I done?" Benten said, not backing down. "I'm trying to help us survive the mess you made. Ataru needs people on his side. Like it or not, oh great Princess of all she surveys, you started a revolution with that kiss, and it's about time we started building our army." "What have you told them?" Lum asked. "Everything, Mistress," Ran said, stepping forward. "You don't have to be alone. There are hundreds of people who will support you and Ataru in the fleet. We should gather them, before the Families gather their people." "You know they're going to be gunning for him now," Benten offered. "The more people we involve, the greater chance the Families will find out the truth," Lum explained, "and then they'll really be after us." The large man stepped forward and knelt on one knee before Lum. "My Princess, everyone here will offer their life to you and Lord Ataru if we ever betrayed you to your enemies. We will serve the Houses of Redet and Moroboshi." With that everyone knelt, lowering their heads, including Benten, Mendo, Rei and Ran. Lum and Ataru glanced around themselves. Benten spoke with her head still lowered. "We know who we can trust in the Fleet. The word can be spread quietly, quickly. If we don't do this now, they'll fry us. You know it." Lum did know it, but she didn't feel ready for this. "Please rise," she said. Everyone stood. "Okay," she said reluctantly. "But I want nothing done until I give the order. The time isn't right, yet. It may be a while." Lum looked around all the admiring faces, and suddenly felt overwhelmed by the emotion of the situation. "I love you all for this. This is dangerous for all of us. I can't promise you victory, or even survival. I can only ask you to follow me into battle when I call. I have hope, and you can be sure that I'll be fighting along side you in the first ranks." "As will I," Ataru said and took Lum's hand again. He didn't quite know what he was doing, but he knew it was right, and that this was the time. He knelt to one knee. He had to say it quickly before he had time to think better of it. "Lum," he said, "please marry me." The room became utterly silent. Lum had always intended to marry Ataru, but now that he was asking her formally in front of all these people, she didn't know what to say. The silence was becoming interminable as she strove to remember the word that until a moment ago was very common. "Yes," she said. There was an unanimous cheer, as they kissed. "Way to fuckin' go, Aho!" Benten cheered. Lum and Ataru parted. Lum spoke to the crowd. "You had better go back to work. Spread the word, but don't do anything else until I say. Thank you all so much." With that everyone filed out except for Lum, Ataru, Benten, Mendo, Ran and Rei. Lum looked around the room. "Where's Ten?" she asked. Ran spoke up. "I saw him leave right after the Kiss." "The Kiss," Lum repeated. Ran had said it like it was some great historical event. Perhaps it was. "I imagine that Ten is out saving our butts right now. He'll show up when he's done." "So what does this all mean?" Ataru asked, sitting down on one of the benches. "It means," Lum explained, "that for all practical purposes we're out in the open. The Families know something's up now, and that you're not who Rei said you were. Rei, I imagine you're going to get a visit from your Uncle." Rei nodded. "I can't keep secrets when he asks," Rei explained. "I know," Lum said. "I could coach him," Ran offered. Lum thought about it for a second. "No, even Jariten avoids face to face encounters with Yethiz. Rei wouldn't have a chance. Ran, it would be best if Yethiz and Rei didn't cross paths for a while." "That's no problem," Ran said, holding Rei's arm. "He can stay with me." Lum actually felt at a loss about what else to do next. She turned to Ataru, "What are we going to do, Darling?" "I don't know. Sooner or little we're going to have to tell the Empire about our plans. Quite a few people aren't going to like it, and we'll have to fight. Well, we're going to war now. Why don't we change the goal of the battle?" Lum shook her head. "We're on a Seq ship. As soon as we made the announcement there'd be a mutiny." "Lum," Benten started, "in a day the ship will be ours. An order to turn against your authority will fall on deaf ears. Aho's right. We have the opportunity. Let's do it now." "We can't do everything 'now'. With the support of the Seq fleet we have the upper hand in this battle. With them on the other side we'll be hopelessly outgunned. I won't lead my people to suicide." Benten felt herself bursting. She stood and started walking around the room, hitting locker doors as she went, making loud clanks. "When is it going to be, Lum?! When?! People are already dying. My fucking planet's dying! You're the best tactician in the Empire, and I'm the best pilot. Your Darling just creamed you in Ossak after three years of being undefeated, that has to count for something. What do they have?" Benten went to Lum and locked eyes with her. "Now, Lum! Now! We have a chance! How long do you want to play this game? How long do you want to have to hide Ataru for fear of his life?" "Mistress," Ran broke in. "Rei is on our side. He's the heir for the Seq house. Won't the Seq fleet follow him if he calls?" "My Uncle gives the commands," Rei said sadly. Lum looked over to Rei and found she was feeling sorry for him. She had always known that Rei's uncle was manipulating him behind the scenes, telling him that leadership was only possible through power and fear. Lum was beginning to see that everything that she had hated in Rei was really his uncle standing behind him. Lum thought about Ran's and Rei's assessments. Not all the fleet would come to Rei's call, but with a little ego boosting from Ran, the majority might. Still though, Lum had her doubts, and she couldn't guarantee that they all were concern for the people that she would be sending to die. It was easier to follow orders than to give them. Before, she was always following her father's direction. This would be entirely on her own, and it would begin her life of forging her own policies for the Empire. There were so many people in it. She didn't know whether she was ready to take the risk of being wrong. Benten sat down next to Lum. Her friend's doubts were so great that Benten could feel them. When she spoke her voice was soft, encouraging. "We've joked about this for years, you and I. I know it's hard. I know it's easier for me to say 'now'. No one will blame Benten, the slave, if it fails. But Lum, listen to your friend. The time for dreaming is over. Let it be now. We can do it." Lum looked around the quiet room. Everyone's eyes were on her. Then she felt Ataru squeeze her hand. She turned to him, and met his eyes. They communicated silently, for what seemed to be an eternity. No one dared to disturb the conversation. Finally Ataru broke the spell. "Now," he said. Lum nodded back to him. "Waaaaaaaaow!" Benten yelped and started dancing around. "Isn't this wonderful?" Ran exclaimed to Rei. Ataru took Lum in his arms and they kissed. Everyone stopped celebrating to watch them. Then Rei took Ran in his arms. "Dammit!" Benten said looking between the kissing couples, and grabbed a surprised Mendo. * * * Seq Yethiz was angrier than he had been in a long time. He hated to admit it, but what that meeting really needed was the Princess to keep people in line. Yethiz strode gruffly down the hall toward the room his nephew was sharing with him. The indecision of the other generals was excruciating, but that didn't mean Yethiz couldn't work alone. He didn't know how his nephew had been compromised by that Redet witch, but he was going to find out. The half second that it took the door to open was too slow for Yethiz. He almost broke the door down. He burst into the room, only to find it empty. Rei was at the game, Yethiz recalled. Yethiz had watched the last half of the game on the holoviewer. He had found the whole thing rather amusing. The Princess being beat by a mere slave more than made up for her continuous defeats of Rei. No only that, it would have made the Earth slave the reigning champion, which meant he couldn't refuse any challenges. Yethiz would have enjoying repeatedly burning the boy. The thought that he might lose himself, was unthinkable. Ataru was a slave. Cheating against a slave was perfectly acceptable. Still, it didn't matter. There was more here than just a skilled slave. Yethiz missed his niece. Sugoi's reports were becoming very interesting, but he hadn't seen her since the transfer. Yethiz was beginning to believe that she had been taken care of. It was something that Yethiz would do to a spy that was getting too close, but he never would have suspected it of Lum. Of course, why would Rei be helping the people who killed his sister? Yethiz had that answer. The idiot didn't know yet. Maybe it would be enough just to tell him. And what of Yethiz' own feelings for revenge? The slave was dead. That was the only prudent move, after a brain scan, of course. Whatever he was, he would be nothing if he was a pile of ashes. After that he would work on breaking the Princess. She would jump to his every command by the time he got done with her. Yethiz fell into one of the chairs and mused on the Princess. Rei may be the one to marry her, but Yethiz had long decided to make her his own. With some appropriate words, Rei would certainly agree. Lum's children would be Yethiz' children, presented as Rei's. The thought of that idiot's genes polluting the royal children was intolerable. There would be nothing anyone could do about it, if Yethiz intervened. Even his sister, Yedis would have to keep quiet. She would do anything to protect her precious son. Once Yethiz blackmailed her with proof of Rei's treachery, she'd do anything. Why their father had overlooked him, and gave his sister Yedis, the Family seat was a mystery to Yethiz. He was the oldest male. It should have gone to him. He would have his revenge in that department as well. And if that slave had already gotten Lum's virginity, Yethiz would make his death all that much worse. Yethiz quickly got tired of waiting for Rei to return. He would find the slave and kill him before the Princess allowed herself to be soiled by him. How could he have been such a fool to believe that Rei had an independent thought. A gift, indeed! Yethiz left the room to go and find the slave. "General Seq!" a voice called behind him. Yethiz turned hard. "What?!" he snapped. The crewman cowered back, and then came to attention. "General, there has been a terrible accident, a fire!" "What?! Where?" "In the records room. All the files have been destroyed. We'll have to rebuild it from scratch." "Well go to it, then." "But sir?" "What?!" Yethiz was becoming very impatient, he had a slave to kill. "We'll need you to reauthorize everything. Remember you commanded that no order is valid without your print." "Well, I waive that order for now." "But sir, the computers. Nothing works without your print. It would have to be reprogrammed. It would take a full day to change all the systems, we'd be immobilized. Please, sir." This was just too convenient as far as Yethiz was concerned. "Crewman, I want you to run. Everything had better be ready for my print by the time I get there myself. If not, the first order I put my print on will be to your execution. Is that clear?" "Yes, sir!" the crewman saluted and ran down the hall. Yethiz counted to ten, and then went after him, walking quickly. * * * Redet Kurama was an aunt of Lum's. A young one, she was closer to Lum's age than her brother, the Emperor. Lum felt Kurama to be an odd sort. She usually only had one thing on her mind, and that was getting a husband. She had four servants who were constantly flocking about her. Their main reason for employment was to help her look for a husband. Lum never understood why she had such a problem finding one. She wasn't ugly in any way, but she did have a tendency to talk too much. She'd talk in long rapid sentences, that she'd fling at one like gusts of wind. She'd also always dressed in black. Another trait that Lum didn't understand. In any case, Lum got along with her. Redet Kurama was also the commander of the Redet fleet. Lum needed to talk to her, but she wasn't yet sure about how much to say. Lum's initial attempt at contact failed, though. Lum had run into Ten's safeguard. Fortunately, she knew these ships as well as he did and quickly repaired the problem. She felt much safer knowing what he had done. No one outside the fleet would know of what had happened. The problem was contained. She would redo the sabotage when she was done. Lum brought Ataru with her to show to Kurama. When Kurama appeared, Lum with Ataru explained the whole situation to her. The signal was scrambled, but Lum still worried that someone might be listening. Lum explained what she planned to do at the battle. Kurama listen attentively, and inquired whether this meant that Rei was free. Lum sadly informed her that he wasn't. Lum begged for Kurama's support and asked her not to reveal this to the Emperor yet. Kurama offered her support gladly. Going to war for a mate was something that Kurama could easily support. She did question Lum's wisdom in choosing a slave, but maintained that her forces would rally to Lum when the time came. Lum felt relieved, and with the usual Family niceties closed the transmission. Lum turned to Ataru. "We're really committed, now." She took his hand. "We'll either be married or dead." "I prefer married," Ataru said. "So do I." * * * Benten was preoccupied all the way back to their room. Mendo just followed along, and tried to keep pace. Benten didn't say anything, nor did she look at him. She hadn't said a word since they had kissed. He had felt a tremble in her body as he held her. What had started rough, softened, and then turned to rejection as she pushed him away. Mendo didn't know what to say now. He could only make a guess about what was going on from observations and only a brief acquaintance. Mendo was finding though, that he understood Benten more and more. She was very much like him in many respects. She too spent much of her time in an imaginary world. It was a world of the facade that she placed before everyone. Mendo had made up so many worlds in his mind that he was very good at spotting someone else's creation. Benten was no more this rough warrior woman than Mendo was an heir to an incredible Family fortune and military. She was a fake, and Mendo wondered why. When they entered the room, the sight of the lone bed once more caused them to stop short. Benten turned hard on Mendo. Her eyes attempted to burn into him, but he was impervious. He knew it wasn't real. Her last attempt to fool him exhausted, her body went limp and she fell into his arms. "I hate you," she said as they held each other. Mendo said nothing. Benten pulled back and sat down on the bed. There were tears in her eyes. "How could you know?" she asked. "I know a good story when I hear it." "Lum was the only Outworlder who knew how much I had to change to come here. She knew me before I became a pilot. I had to fly, and I had to do something for my people. I've always hoped that if I learned to fight then I could save my planet. But in the meantime, I knew that I'd have to serve my enemy. I'd have to help them enslave other planets. Shutaro, the first village I destroyed nearly took me with it." She stood and closed herself in her arms, turning her back to Mendo. "At first I told myself that they would have taken the planet without me," she continued, "and that the destruction wasn't my responsibility. But I knew that it was me who pulled the trigger, and as I became a better pilot, and then the best, missions were depending on me. I couldn't always say that they would have won without me." Mendo listened to Benten's narration with interest. Partially because of the good story, but mostly because of how important this was to her. He knew she was telling the truth. One doesn't take such raw truth about another's soul lightly. "But I couldn't give up," Benten explained, "I had to hide my shame, my anger at myself. I built this wall, this face, so that no one would question my resolve. Only Lum knew better. I was so glad when she transferred me to her ship. It felt so good to have someone that I could let down my guard with. But now you're here." Benten went back to sitting on the bed. Mendo sat down next to her. "I won't tell anyone." "It's more than that. It's been nearly three years since I've worn anything besides a uniform, anything feminine. Underneath this shell I am a woman, but I never needed to be until now. I'm here to fight a war, not to find a husband, but our adventure on your world and when I kissed you. . . I do have feelings." She turned away from him. "I have something I want to show you." Benten got up and went to the garbage bags. She opened one, and digging through it found a box. She opened it. It looked to Mendo like there was a garment inside. Her face softened even further as she looked at it. She looked to Mendo and said, "Could you step outside for a second?" Mendo got up and left the room. Outside he was wondering what he had begun? What was in the box? What were his own feelings? He had spent so much time in his imagination that reality was hard to take. He felt himself trembling. The emotion was overwhelming. At first, this had been a game. He was going into space, and actually entering one of his imaginary worlds. But then all the sights and sounds, and the kiss. He wasn't unaffected by it. Thrust together with Benten he was terrified, but the kiss tore away the last of her facades for him. He saw how vulnerable she was. She couldn't fool him anymore. He saw how much she wanted him. "You can come in now," he heard her muffled voice. He went in and was amazed at what he saw. She was beautiful. She had let her hair down. It was almost as long as Lum's when she let it fall freely. She wore a brightly colored dress, very festive. It had long billowy sleeves and a there was wide belt around her waist. The dress wasn't tight fitting except for the belt, but it did everything it could to show off her figure. Tucked under the belt were several multicolored ribbons with strange letters on them. Mendo was able to read Uruseian, but this was something more alien than that. Benten held her arms before her, and looked demurely to the floor. "Do you like it?" she asked. "It's beautiful," was all that Mendo could say. "On my world, young unmarried girls are afraid to tell a young man how they feel. We don't say anything. The only time that we can let him know is during the season festivals. Each of us wears a dress like this one, and we dance our traditional dances. When we come to the boy that we like, we take these ribbons." She pulled one of the ribbons from her belt. She held it for him to see. "This one says 'tenderness.' Hold out your right hand." Mendo did and she tied it to his wrist. She pulled out another. "This one says, 'care.' This is for your left hand." Mendo offered it and she tied the ribbon onto his left wrist. She took another. "This one is 'thoughtfulness'." She tied it around his forehead. "This one is 'compassion'." She laid that one like a sash over his chest. "This one is 'friendship'." She tied that one around his neck. "And now we dance." "There's still one left," Mendo pointed to the red and gold one that still hung at her belt. She pushed his hand back. "That one I'm not ready to give you yet." "What is it?" he asked. "Let me teach you the dance first and then I will tell you about it. After the girl gives the boy all but the one ribbon, she sings a song that they dance to. Just follow what I do." Benten moved Mendo into position, and she raised her arms partially into the air. Mendo followed suit. Benten began to sing, and her voice so constrained by rough words and curt tones burst forth like a caged bird suddenly freed. Mendo was captivated by the alien words as he tried to follow Benten's movements. It was a simple song. There were only four lines of music that repeated. The dance also repeated, but at the same time changed slightly with each verse. "Po chi verae ka-u do. Yana sesei chi ta-u no, Ishi na ishi ka-u lo! Jana de, jene ni, sei ti fahro. Po chi nara ka-u do. Gitti anna chi ta-u no, Washen te ui nara mao! Jana de, jene ni, sei ti fahro." After two more verses, Benten stopped and met Mendo's eyes. "The song is about love, 'chi' in each of the seasons. When I sing it for you, I'm telling you that I love you and would like you to court me. When you accept the ribbons and dance with me, you're saying yes." Mendo nodded. Benten smiled. She picked up the last ribbon, but didn't remove it from her belt. "When I finish the four verses and we've already been courting, I could decide to give you the last ribbon. That's the 'chi' ribbon, 'love'. It means that I want to spend the rest of my life with you." "Where do you tie that one?" "I don't. I give it to you, and you tie it around my neck. Then you're supposed to take the neck of my dress and rip it down the front." "I'm what?! I thought this dance was in public." "It is. This is the most important part, because it tells how the marriage is going to be. If it is a small rip then we'll have a bad marriage with no children. If one breast is revealed then we'll have only one child. If both are revealed then we'll have many children, but if the tear comes completely away from the dress that means that I'll die in childbirth." She met his eyes with a look that meant business. "If my man did that to me I'd have to give him a knee where he'd remember it." Mendo gulped. "But you're not giving me that ribbon now?" "No," she said shyly. "Not now." She studied the fabric of her dress. "Each girl only gets one festival dress. Once it's ripped, it's ripped. I have to be careful who I give the last ribbon to, and when." She paused and looked back up at him to continue her narration, "After the dress is ripped, the couple does the wedding dance, and we both sing." She sat back on the bed. "And then we'd be married." "That's the whole ceremony? There's no legal considerations?" "That's all there is. The ripped festival dress is proof enough. The population of my world is small, everyone remembers the weddings. I entered the pilot's academy shortly after I was old enough to wear this dress at the festivals. I've never attended one with it. I wonder if I ever will. I wonder who will die first, me or the festivals? The Azu's are killing my people, Shutaro. Making them starve on their own world. It's not all an act that I put on. I hate the Azu Family with every inch of my soul. I'm looking forward to having them in my sights when this battle comes up." Mendo sat next to Benten. Her anger quickly turned back to tears. She buried her head in his chest. She was crying. "I really don't want to be like this," she said. "Why couldn't my world be left alone? Why couldn't I just go to the festivals, find a husband and raise a Family? I never wanted to be a killer. Damn the Azus!" Mendo held her tightly, letting her tears stain his clothes. Mendo wanted to say something. Any comforting word he could think of, but he knew none. Benten felt his dilemma. "Don't say anything," she whispered. "Just hold me. Hold me forever, please." Mendo did, and while they held each other in the small room aboard the Seq carrier, the Fleet imperceptibly slipped through a subspace hole and found itself facing the Pochik and Azu fleets outside the star system of Uinod. Alt-Urusei Yatsura XII "But What Does This Dream Mean?" Written by Lewis Burden Edited by Joseph Rispoli Jr. (Based on Characters and Situations created by Rumiko Takahashi in her manga series, URUSEI YATSURA) Ten felt that his work would successfully detain Yethiz for the remainder of the day. If he did ever get done with the work that Ten created for him though, he would be extremely angry. Ten was just postponing the vengeance. He needed to talk to Lum to work on a more permanent solution. Ten decided to start with the bridge, and was surprised to find Lum and Ataru already there. Several floating tactical displays indicated that the Fleet was in the Uinod star system and was approaching the Pochik and Azu Fleets. The Pochik apparently had lined up more help than the Azu for this adventure. Left to themselves, they would most likely win. Ten wondered what Lum had planned, though he wondered more why Lum hadn't hidden Ataru already. He sidled up beside Lum and whispered. "I expect General Yethiz will be busy for the rest of the day." "Good. That will help, though we're just about ready for him." "Oh?" Ten said, genuinely surprised, "Care to elaborate?" "No, actually. I'm rather enjoying having a secret for a change." "Ooh, a challenge. I'm a-quiver." Ten moved over to Ataru. "That was quite a game you had today. Aren't you the least bit worried that someone isn't going to catch onto your game and have you run through?" "No," Ataru said calmly. Ten stepped back. He checked the viewers again. No, still outnumbered five to one. Looking around him, it still looked like the Seq carrier and not the much more friendly Redet ship, and then Ten did notice something odd. "There seems to be a high proportion of Redets on the bridge today," Ten commented. "Yes, fancy that," Lum said. "We felt that there were a lot of Seq people who could use the day off. We altered the duty roster some," Ataru explained. "And without little 'ol me. I feel very put out." "Thanks for keeping General Seq out of our hair," Lum said. "I'm glad I could do something." Ten plopped down on the Captain's chair. He sat sideways with his legs over the arm. "So, any plans as to what to do with our friends out there?" "As a matter of fact, yes," Lum began but said no more. "You two are about to make me physically ill. It's been a hard day, couldn't you make it easy on me?" "You missed our conference," Ataru explained. "Was I invited?" "Ten, you are always invited to our conferences," Lum said. "Yes, it is one of the rare privileges I enjoy. It's too bad I missed this one. What happened?" "We decided that a planet was a silly thing to fight over," Lum said. "You thought that perhaps succession to the Throne would be better, I take it." "Yes," Ataru answered. Ten checked the tactical displays again. "We are a bit out-numbered." "Kurama is on her way. I won't tell our friends out there until she gets here," Lum explained. Ten checked the monitors again, weighing Kurama's Fleet against the numbers. "Nope, still out-numbered." "The Seq Fleet is coming, too," Ataru said. "I don't think that's going to help." "Well, that's where you come in," Lum explained. Ten steepled his hands. "Ahh, yes. I knew the Ten factor would have to be applied here somewhere. So would you like me to destroy the entire Seq Fleet, then?" "No," Lum said and then paused. "Could you?" Ten voice took on a devious air of confidence. "On a good day, I might." "Well, I . . . No, what I would like you to do is help Ran get Rei ready to rally the Seq Fleet to our side." "I think it would be easier to destroy the Fleet." "Ten!" "I find myself agreeing with him," Ataru said jokingly. "I don't think I want to talk to either of you," Lum said and crossed her arms in a pout. Ten gave Ataru a knowing wink, and getting up out of the chair said. "I've had a rather busy day, but I suppose I could manage it." Lum added, "Word is going out to the peasants and the slaves aboard ship concerning our plans, and of course we have Redet help. If you know any of the higher ups on board who could be persuaded or bought. . ." "Rei will be a full time job, but I'll see what I can do." With a bow and a flourish he said, "My Ladyship has given me her word and my heart leaps to obey. Ahh, the joy of the faithful servant. Every busy, but never seeking any reward 'cept perhaps an occasional kind word from his most gracious and beautiful Mistress." He disappeared out the door. "How does he think up those things?" Ataru asked. Lum was about to answer when the communications officer spoke, "Princess, the Dedron carrier group has come out of sub-space. Matriarch Sil is requesting to speak with you." Lum tensed up at the name, but said, "Open a channel." Ataru noticed her uneasiness. An image of Dedron Sil appeared in the air before Lum. "Lum, dear. It has been a while." Sil, young Matriarch of the Dedron House, glanced to Ataru who stood next to Lum, "And is this Rei's present? Ataru is it?" "Yes, Ma'am," Ataru answered. Considering Lum's reaction, Ataru was wondering what new terror this beautiful Uruseian matriarch represented. "And polite too," Dedron continued, "I was wondering if you had a change of heart about slaves. Surely Benten does not approve of your keeping one." Lum sighed. It had been three years since Lum and Sil had their final argument which turned good friends into enemies. It hurt Lum. Sil had been her best friend. Lum was expected by her Family to spend her free time with Sil, but she didn't mind. The two shared a lot in common. They were both only children, young daughters who were the heirs to their respective Family chairs. They faced many of the same trials in life, trying to adjust to their pre-ordained realities. There was only one thing that they didn't agree on and that was how the slave planets should be treated. Lum's friendship with a slave, Benten, became too much for Sil to tolerate. They had always argued about the slave question, but the arguments had been reasonably friendly. However, the more time that Lum spent with Benten, the more radical her own ideas became. The final argument between the two had come to blows. Sil demanded that Lum not see Benten any more. She said that Benten was beneath Lum's dignity. Lum refused and they never spoke as friends again. Lum often missed her old friend. There was no one else with whom she could talk about the problems of being the only daughter of a powerful Family. Sil had already become the Matriarch of her Family. Lum so much wanted to ask how well she handled the transition. Lum especially didn't want to fight her old friend as an adult, using adult means. The blows they came to as children hurt enough. "Please, Sil, we've been through that. Couldn't we let it go?" "We could," Sil said, but there was no warmth in her smiled as she said it. "I had come to join the Azu Fleet, but I'm willing to negotiate." "Politics? Sil, that's not what I meant. We were close once. You and I understood each other better than anyone else." Sil smirked. "My dearest Lum. I stopped understanding you when you took up with that slave. Are you so naive, though? We're adults now. There are no friends out here. It's all about favors and dealing behind the scenes. You have to stop this war, but your position is weak. What will you offer the house of Dedron to side with the royal house?" When she saw the face of her old friend, she had hoped that she could find a spark of that friendship still burning a little, but Dedron was cold. There was Lum without Benten's passion. There was Lum without Ten's pranks. There was Lum without her Darling. Sil was just a machine, a tool of Family politics. Lum shook her head, trying to break such thoughts. Ataru looked at Lum worriedly. He wanted to reach out and take her hand. He wanted to do anything to try and comfort her. He saw the pain that she was feeling, but he couldn't do anything in front of Sil, not yet. Still, he want to do something. "Forgive a slave for speaking up," Ataru began. "But what do you have against other races, anyway?" "Darling, please don't," Lum whispered. "Don't start it." Dedron's eyes narrowed on Ataru. "You're a bold one, aren't you? No doubt Lum gives you free reign." She turned to Lum. "You had best coach him to keep his mouth shut around his betters." Ataru wasn't going to let this one go. His experiences and Lum's pain wouldn't allow it. "What makes Uruseians better than anyone else?" Ataru asked. Sil gasped. "You impertinent . . . ! We have the Empire! Is not our success against the slave races proof enough?" "No," Ataru stated. Lum was becoming desperate to stop him, but she didn't know how. She couldn't reprimand him as a slave, nor could she make a request as a lover. Ataru continued. "How you treat the people in your Empire defines your superiority. Without the slave planets there would be no Empire. You need us, but we don't need you. Oh, sure, Uruseian technology is very impressive. Your achievements are great and the slaves' planets could benefit greatly from it, but they don't. If you were truly great, everyone would prosper under your umbrella. That would truly be a great Empire. As it is, you are just parasites." "That will be quite enough!" Dedron screamed. "What has happened to you, Lum?! Do you agree with this drivel? Is that why you didn't stop his insults? If he were mine, I would have him severely beaten until learned to keep his tongue. I suggest that you do the same, before he starts talking to someone less forgiving than I." Lum looked to Ataru. There was no apology in his eyes as he stared levelly at Dedron. Looking around the bridge, Lum could see all eyes were on her. She wondered what they were thinking about what Ataru had just said. They were Redets or supporters of the House and were more than willing to support their Princess in a coup against the Houses, but were they ready for the rebellious words that Ataru had just spoken? Lum still wondered if she was. "I expect an apology," Dedron said. Lum turned back to Sil. She bit her lip, trying to think of how to handle this. After all, deep down wasn't what Ataru said exactly how she felt. Wasn't it what this was all about, freeing the slaves and not being parasites any longer? "Sil," Lum began, "on one of your planets, Heis, I believe, the people there make subspace engines. It's the core of the Dedron wealth, without that production your Family would be nearly penniless. You certainly couldn't afford that nice cruiser you're on. The factories are manned by the native people of that planet. You give them enough to live on, but not much more. They were much more prosperous before they were taken. Their technology was very close to ours at the time. You tell me that he's not right about that world and dozens of others." Sil was turning red. "The rumors were right, I see. You have gone mad. Do you really know what you are saying? If you'll excuse me, I'm continuing on to the Azu Fleet." "Sil," Lum said drawing up her own strength. Sil had to believe this. "Please remember that my power rests on the outcome of this battle, if there is one. If I lose, then the Families will have their way with me for the rest of my life. I have to win it, and I intend to show little mercy to the losers. I will be forced to strip their Houses and divide the loot among my supporters. If you can't support me out of friendship, then support me for that. I will win this battle, Sil. I think you know me that well." Sil studied Lum's eyes for a long time, testing her resolve, then she cut the transmission. Lum stood in silence, staring at the open air where Sil's image had been. She felt everyone's eyes on her. Lum turned to Ataru. "I need to talk to you outside," she said sternly. When they got outside the door Lum began, "Do you think that was altogether wise? That was the Matriarch to one of the major Houses you were talking to, not some school girl." "I know who it was. I also wasn't going to put up with what she was saying. I shouldn't have to anymore. By tomorrow morning we'll be ready to go public with the crew." "Tomorrow morning," Lum repeated, "but not now, and not with the other Families until we have support of the Fleet. I've got to keep the Families in negotiation until then. We can't be stirring them up now. My ultimatum to Sil should give them something to think about though." "You two were really close at one time, weren't you?" Ataru said kindly. Lum lowered her head. "We were best friends. I do miss her. There is a friendlier side to her, but it's been a while since I've seen it. I hope she decides to fight on our side." "You don't believe she will, though?" "No," Lum admitted and went to Ataru. He held her. "Remember, you don't have to carry this alone anymore," he said. "I know." Lum stepped back and straighten her uniform. "But this I do have to do alone. It's time I called the Azu and the Pochik, and started the negotiating. After what you said to Sil it's best if you weren't with me. Go find Benten and Mendo. See how the recruiting is going. Meet you in a tenth." "Are you going to be all right?" Ataru asked. Lum smiled. "I love you," she said and kissed him. * * * Lum returned to the bridge. She guessed that taking Ataru out to talk with him would satisfy most who didn't know what was really going on. Taking the command chair, she turned to communications. "Get me Pochik Vel," she commanded. The officer pushed a few buttons. "Coming through," she said. The old man's image formed before Lum. He sat bent in a command chair. His old fashioned uniform fit loosely over his frail body. His son Ando stood behind him. Lum and Ando's eyes met. She knew she had a friend in Ando. It was the old Pochik she had to get to. "Ah, Princess Redet. You are here in time to make amends for your grandfather's mistake." "My Grandfather's action was regrettable, but I am here merely to stop a war." "One and the same, my dear, one and the same. We demand a formal apology from the Azu, and possession of the planet Uinod. Both items are rightfully ours. If they are not given willingly, we will go to war. And I'm sure that you've already noticed that we have the better hand." Lum studied the elder Pochik's eyes. There was usually a craftiness in them, but not today. He wasn't here to negotiate a boon for his Family. He was here for Family honor. Lum was worried. It made it far more dangerous than a simple Family game. She didn't let her concern show. "The Emperor will not allow a war," She said firmly. Vel laughed. "I don't see where he has a choice. You do not have near the forces to stop us." "More will be coming. I'm confident that I will have enough, if need be, to defeat both forces." She wasn't really. "I hope it won't come to that. There must be some way to work this out. I'd like to invite you and Azu here to cool down and discuss it." "Discussion is pointless, my dear. Azu Des is an ass. The Emperor should be pleased that I am finally going to put the worm in his place." Lum took a breath. "The first one who fires will be considered a traitor and a rebel by the Emperor. All their planets and assets will be confiscated." Lum paused to let what she said sink in. "Now would you accept my invitation to sit down and talk?" Pochik studied the Princess. "Young lady, this is a very bold step you are taking. If you can't back it up, there'll be chaos." "I can back it up," Lum clipped, annoyed by the Pochik's patronizing voice. She had had enough of that in her carrier. "My patience is short. I'll expect you and the leaders supporting you here in the morning. Good day, old man." The line was cut before Pochik had a chance to respond. When the image disappeared, the entire bridge crew stood and began applauding. Lum took a bow. "Now on to Azu," she said. * * * It was nearly dark when Megane and Sugoi left the school. The government people had left long ago. The Uruseian Fleet had actually moved away as Onsenmark predicted. Now the world needed to decide what to do about it. Sugoi didn't care about Earth's problems, but as she walked down the dark alien Tomobiki streets, she was feeling very, very alone. She was keenly aware that she was the only Uruseian on the entire planet. She tried to imagine being exiled forever. She knew how possible it could be that Lum might never come back. Her earlier confidence was disappearing and being replaced by despair. She had been on alien planets before, sometimes alone, but she carried the shield of the Uruseian Empire. No one would dare touch her and she knew it. She walked with her head up then. Sugoi glanced to Megane. He stared off ahead, lost in his own thoughts. How alien he looked to her. Handsome in his own way, but oh so alien. She tried to picture him as an Uruseian. She imagined his hair with a green tint, and two orange horns. She made the glasses disappear. She wondered what they were for. Megane noticed her attention, and nervously glanced back down at her, and then away. "We're almost there," he said. Sugoi smiled to herself. At least she had some power over him. She wasn't totally helpless. She took hold of his arm and felt him stiffen up. Resting her head against him as he walked, she almost felt protected. His arms were strong. She closed her eyes and allowed him to lead her. She imagined she were on Urusei again, and walking with her father. The reason for her smile changed, letting herself fall into the comfort of the image. Suddenly she let go of him and stopped walking. Megane took a few more steps before he noticed. He turned to see what was wrong. Sugoi head was filled with the word 'danger'. She looked up at the confused Megane and forced herself to remember how alien he was. She forced herself to remember that she was going to use him to get the transmitter and get off this planet. She was going to use him to defeat Lum and restart the invasion. She smiled girlishly and caught up to Megane. "Just had a thought," she said to Megane. "Oh? What about?" Megane asked almost regretting it. "About how much fun I'm going to have living with you." "Oh." It was starting to feel much warmer for him. As they began walking again, they fell back into silence. Sugoi looked up at the stars, partially faded by the occasional street lights. She found what she hoped was Urusei. She wondered if she would ever see it up close again. * * * Benten was whistling to herself as she lovingly polished her "bike." There wasn't a smudge to be found anywhere on the small spacecraft. In fact, parked next to the other fighters in the bay, her fighter appeared snowy white, while the others appear dirty and used in comparison. Benten still wasn't satisfied. Her 'baby' was going into battle against Uruseians. It needed to look extra good. Mendo was feeling forgotten, a little jealous of Benten's attentions to her first love. Still, he kept himself occupied taking in the sights and sounds of the busy fighter bay. It was a vast space, filled with deadly looking fighters. It usually wasn't this crowded, but now it carried hardware from two carriers. Everyone was busy working on their vessels. The poor pilots who had their own ships placed next to Benten's were vainly working, trying to polish their hulls, wondering why what had been perfectly clean before, now appeared so grungy. It was there that Ataru found them. He approached them slowly, taking in the sights of the hangar. He still found himself awed by technology and the size of the Uruseian ships. There were fighters as far as he could see. Looking out through the force field which was the only thing that separated the bay from open space, Ataru realized that he was no longer near Earth. He wondered how far away they were. No one had bothered to mention distances. Uinod was just another planet in the Empire. They could be on the other side of the galaxy for all he knew. It was another sign of the new life that he was going to be living. There was no place beyond his reach. And he was going to Emperor of all this. It was unbelievable. "Hello, Mendo," he said as if he had just come up him in the school yard. He wondered what it must be like for Mendo when the dreams outpace the dreamer. Probably, very much what it was like for himself. Once he was locked in a cave of dancing shadows, but now had been brought into the sun. The light was brilliant, blinding, and the desire to run back into the cave was great. Everywhere he looked there was something new. Something that he had never seen before. There was incredible beauty and incredible ugliness. Ataru was feeling a new part of him awakening. It was alive, wild, and strong. It was stirred by the understanding of the power that he now had, and the greater portion that was coming to him. It was moved by this incredible new world. He wondered if he had remained on Earth and eventually married Shinobu if he would ever have felt this alive, if he would have ever found the new Ataru underneath. "Hey Ataru," Mendo responded to Ataru's greeting. "What do you think of the view? We're the first Terrans to see it." Benten raised an eyebrow at that comment, but continued polishing. She glanced over to the starry opening. "Old stars, new eyes," she thought. She had other things to thing about. She didn't know what to do with her display of emotion toward Mendo. It bothered her that she couldn't stop thinking about it. She studied the incredible polishing job she had done. The "bike" had never looked this good before. She was pleased, but also worried. If Lum had seen the fighter now, her curiosity would be peaked. For those who knew Benten, of which there were very few, polishing the "bike" was something she did when she needed time to think. The better the polishing job, the greater the problem. Benten looked over to Mendo talking with Ataru. "What have I done?" Benten thought. Sure she was known to make rash decisions, but what had she done? Did she really love him, or did being placed in the same room, coupled with the thrill of finally starting the road to freedom for her people, cause her to act hastily. She liked him, that was certain. He was handsome, and had a captivating voice. She liked to listen to him. He had a certain naive wisdom. She had never danced for anyone before, and now for an outworlder. Worst of all she knew that her objectivity was totally compromised. She would do anything for . . . "Damn!" she said out loud, and jumped down from the floating disc she was standing on. She strode over to Mendo and Ataru. She took a handful of Mendo's shirt and pulled him over to her. "I hate you," she snarled, and kissed him hard on the lips. She stared into his eyes for a second, thinking and then said, "Damn!" It was true. She released and strode out of the bay. The shocked figures of Mendo and Ataru watched her go. As she walked out the door, Ataru said, "Do you know what that was about?" "I think so," Mendo said. "I'll tell Lum about how well the reaction of the crew has been. Do you know what you're getting yourself into with her?" "I'm beginning to,' Mendo said. "I think I had better go after her." "Yeah," Ataru replied. Mendo went off after Benten, tripping over a small cleaning robot on the way there. The robot beeped it's annoyance and continued working, briefly pausing to adjust its program to better avoid the other men still in the hangar. Ataru continued to stare at the door. He went to sit on the floating disc that Benten was standing on. "What does one do when the dream exceeds the dreamer?" he thought. Somewhere on the ship his own alien was negotiating with the great powers of the galaxy, in bad faith for the most part. The scheme that they planned to reveal the next day would change everything. "Emperor Moroboshi," he said quietly. It had a strange sound. He and Lum were preparing to take on those same great powers of the galaxy. Ataru tried to imagine the scope of it. He couldn't. Ataru stood. He decided to go see his room on this ship. Perhaps Jariten would be there. Ataru had some questions that he would like to ask him. * * * As evening approached Jariten was near exhaustion. It was a strange situation that he found himself in. He had spent the last three years tormenting Rei, and now he was actually helping him. Jariten was finding that tormenting the mentally challenged pilot was far easier. Ten had brought Rei and Ran to one of his "privacy" rooms on the new ship. He had only managed to acquire two. It was difficult with so many people on the ship. He felt a little sorry for the people who otherwise wouldn't have to triple up if the rooms were available, but wasn't he worth it. It was still a little drab. He hadn't had the chance to get it painted. He wondered if he should. After all, they weren't going to be on the ship for too long. Still, it was a matter of comfort. Comfort was important. He briefly thought about Lum's reaction were she to find out about his extra rooms. She would be furious, but he would simply explain that he needed a place to train Rei. He wouldn't mention his other, still more private room. His immediate job had two goals. The first was to help Rei to use longer sentences. The second was to give him some backbone against his uncle. Ten had decided that it was time that Rei commanded his own carrier. He had arranged that the orders which Yethiz was currently signing were orders to transfer command. He was sure that Yethiz wasn't bothering to read them, but applying his print as fast as he could. Afterwards, Rei would have to take him prisoner, and assume command. That was the difficult part. Rei had never questioned his uncle in his life. "Rei, my man, do you want your uncle controlling your life?" "No," Rei said quietly. He sat in a chair in the corner. His shoulders were drooped and his face showed his own weariness and lack of self-confidence. Ran sat next to him, with a tray of sandwiches, little pieces of incentive. "Then," Ran said, "you have to stand up to him. You know he'll never let us get married." Rei looked worriedly at Ran. He was wringing his hands. The pressure was weighing hard on him. "My uncle . . . I don't know . . . I can't," he said. Ten sighed. "It's hopeless. I can't do it." He began pacing. "Look at the material she gives me to work with. Does she think I can work miracles? I can! But this!" He went to Rei and studied him, trying to come up with some possibility. "I see no other choice," he said finally. "What?" asked Ran. "We're just going to have to throw him in the water and see if he can swim." "The water?" Rei asked nervously. "What if he doesn't do it?" Ran asked. "Then we drown," Ten said plainly. "Drown?" Rei asked. "How will water help?" "Quiet dear," Ran said taking his hand. "You're going to talk to your uncle." Ten shook his head. "Come to think of it, I'd rather drown." Ran and Ten prepared for Rei for his encounter. They fitted him with a small receiver in his ear so that Ten could prompt him. Ran gave him a pressed uniform to wear. "Doesn't he look wonderful," she exclaimed. "Looks are not what I'm concerned about. Now Rei, no matter what he says don't back down. Do you have that?" "Don't back down," Rei repeated. "Good, now keep saying that." And Rei did. He repeated it while they went to find some guards. He said it while they found a jailer who was already on their side, and he continued as they went to find Seq Yethiz. "Rei dear," Ran said becoming a little irritable, "I think you've got it now." "No, no, no," Ten corrected. "I want those words burned indelibly in his mind. Rei, you just keep on saying that until we run into your uncle. Which should be about now," Ten said as he noticed Yethiz coming down the hall. "Good luck," Ten said and he and Ran turned to leave. Rei seeing the angered look on his uncle's face as he marched down the hall, turned to go with them. "Stay," Ran commanded, and Rei stopped. "I'll be watching just around the corner." Rei gulped and turn back around. Ran and Ten disappeared around the corner. Rei heard Ten's voice in his ear. "Don't worry. I'll be with you the whole time." "Don't back down," Rei said and took a breath. He checked to see if the guards were with him. They were. Well, his uncle wanted him to be forceful. Yethiz was so consumed with anger that he didn't notice his nephew blocking his path until he had almost run into him. Rei's uncle stopped short, and looked up at his nervous nephew. He noticed the guards, and then gazed to his nephew, quizzically. "Where are you going with them?" he asked angrily. Rei opened his mouth and then closed it. His mind was completely blank. At last he said, "Uncle," in response to Ten's prompting, "I'm taking command of this ship." "I'm in no mood for command games today. I have a slave to kill." Yethiz pushed past his nephew. "What do I do?" Rei said out loud. Yethiz stopped. "About what? Really nephew, can't this wait." "I'm taking command of this ship, and placing . . . placing you under arrest." Yethiz sighed and went back to his nephew. "Those are a lot of words from one such as you. Who's prompting you?" "Jariten," Rei said plainly. "That weasel?! When did you start working with him." Just then, Jariten came around the corner, annoyed at how quickly his plan was falling apart. "I would kindly ask you to refrain from name calling, General Seq." "What is going on here?! I'm going to have you killed for this conspiracy. And you nephew, you are in need of some serious and probably painful lessons. How stupid could you be, working with this trash?" "Watch the names!" Ten said. Yethiz marched over to Ten. "How dare you wear a Urusei uniform! I don't know how your Family puts up with you, but after they here about this attempt at mutiny . . ." Ten smiled. "I'm afraid they already know. There's been a change of plans, you see. Lum has decided that she doesn't want to marry Rei." Yethiz smirked. "She doesn't have much of a choice." "No, I agree. Not with you running loose, but if that situation were to change. . . " "Guards!" Yethiz yelled. "Arrest this traitor!" The guards started to take a step forward and then hesitated. "They obey me," Rei said forcefully. Ran had come out and moved behind him. She was prompting him now. Yethiz sized up the situation. "Well, well, well. The Princess' personal servant. You've slept with her, haven't you, nephew?" "I . . ," he received a jab. "I am placing you under arrest." "Arrest? You spineless, brainless, peasant loving . . . They're powerless without you, and yet you don't have the guts to do it. You're mine! Do you understand? I've given you everything you have, and I can take it away. Now tell those guards to arrest Redet Jariten and this . . . whore as well." At that last remark, Rei, unprompted, pulled back his fist and slammed it into his Uncle's face. Yethiz fell back at the impact and then dove at his nephew. The younger and larger Rei was soon the victor. With a final blow he said, "Ran is a Lady!" Ten was plainly stunned at Rei's actions. Ran was overjoyed and gave her bruised hero a painful hug. Ten went up and put a hand on Rei's shoulder. "You'll do fine," he said, and left. * * * A little later Ten found Ataru waiting for him in his quarters. "Well, my dear boy. I expected you to be with Lum." Ataru stood. "I'll be going to her shortly, but I wanted to talk to you." Ten plopped down on one the standard issue chairs. He made a face. "Damn uncomfortable," he said getting up and checking the upholstery. "I hope you don't mind if I acquire a couple additions for this room tomorrow." "It doesn't matter," Ataru said absently. "It does, my friend, it does." he said back down. "So why do you want to talk to me?" Ataru sat back down on the bed and collected his thoughts. He began to speak. "I think you're the only one who really understands what's going on." "Pretty much." "I'm starting to realize what is really being asked of me. It starting as some type of game, but we're going to be taking on the galaxy. Lum's been training for this all her life. I've been training to be a salaryman. Though, it's not like I've ever really thought much past graduation." "Are you going to give me that 'I'm just a school kid,' line again?" "I suppose I am." Ataru stood. "We never had any classes on Emperor of the galaxy. Hell, I don't even know where in the galaxy we are now. I don't know the history. I don't know the places. I don't know the people. I haven't done anything to deserve this. It's all Lum." "Have you told Lum how you feel?" "No, of course not. She's got her own worries. I've been enough trouble already." "Trouble?" Ten asked, "What have you done?" "This whole thing! We wouldn't be going to war if it wasn't for me. Lum would marry Rei, and the Empire would been at peace." Ten chuckled. "My boy, the last thing this Empire needed was for Lum to marry Rei. You're saving the Empire. It's Lum who hadn't done anything to deserve her position, until she accepted you, that is. She was just born into it. If you want to earn the Throne, then just be who you are and stand at her side. That's a harder thing than a lot of her ancestors did for their Thrones, I'll tell you that." Ataru shook his head. "I feel so inadequate." "Good! It's called humility. You're probably the only person in the galaxy who has it. Most of these Family power lords think that they're miniature gods and that they can do anything. An Emperor who knows what he can and can't do, and is not afraid to ask for help is exactly what this galaxy needs. It's a quality that Lum, herself, often lacks." "What do you mean?" "Haven't you noticed?" Ten said. "My dear cousin all too often convinces herself that she can do it all. You mentioned before why she seemed so sad, that's why. She was fifteen when she got this Fleet. Fifteen! She's the youngest Fleet commander in the Empire by twenty years, except for Dedron. She pushes herself every second. How long do you think her tiny shoulders can carry that weight?" Ten stood and put his hands on Ataru's shoulders. "I'll let you in on a little secret. I'm sure you've wondered were those dreams came from?" "Oh course." "They were a desperate sub-space cry for help. It was her soul's final effort to save itself. In a year, maybe two if she hadn't found you, she would have had a nervous breakdown." Ten laughed. "My jokes could only slow down the inevitable." Ataru fell back on the bed. "I didn't realize. But why me, then?" "Were you happy where you were?" "No," Ataru admitted. Ten shrugged. "Well, then. But enough of the pep-talk. You have work to do." Ataru got up and went to the door. He turned back to Ten. "Her soul cried out to me? I've never been much into spirits and such." "You can't deny reality. Here you are." "Yeah, I suppose," he said and left. * * * Benten had returned to their small room, and was now pacing trying to figure out what she should do. After a short while Mendo entered. "Don't you know how to knock?!" Benten snapped. "I could have been undressing." "It's my room too," Mendo said. He had geared himself up to be strong. He played out a likely scenario out in his head while coming over. He hoped that it was right. "Would you like to talk about it?" he asked. "About what?" she said and continued pacing. "About why you still can't bring yourself to say 'I love you.'" "Maybe," Benten said, "it's because I don't." Mendo took her shoulders and stopped her from pacing. "Did you dance for me, or didn't you?" Benten stopped and looked into his eyes. "I thought I was ready. I thought I was ready to let my guard down a little. I'm not. Dammit, I have to be a warrior! I have to stop the fucking Uruseians from destroying my planet. I don't have time for love now." "Should I give the ribbons back, then?" "No! No. Please don't. I don't mean. . . I . . . Hell!" She went over and threw the desk chair against the wall. It bounced off with a crash. She turned hard on Mendo, but softened. "Please wait for me. Give me time." Mendo went and took her in his arms again. "When Ataru first told me of his dreams, I was jealous. I imagined that I had an beautiful alien chasing after me as well. I imagined all different kinds of women, but could never decide on who I wanted. I have to admit that not one of these women were anything like you, but I'm no longer jealous of Ataru." "When my home is freed, you can come back with me and I'll show you who I really am. " "I know. I've seen a little bit of that woman. I content myself to imagine the rest of her. I can wait." "Thank you," she squeezed him tighter. "What are we going to do about the bed now?" Benten pulled away and smiled at him, then her eyes narrowed on him. "I'm going to order a damn bunk! What did you think, you fucking pervert?! I said no touching!" She looked to the ceiling. "Computer: requisitions." "Place your order," came the response. "I want an upper bunk brought to this room, pronto!" "Requisition placed." She turned back to Mendo. "I'm taking the top bunk. You touch, you die!" she said with a wry smile. "How about gawking?" Mendo asked. "I'll consider it." She offered him a profile and winked. * * * Ataru soon tracked Lum down to her new quarters. He knocked and got a response. He entered. She was staring at her bed. She turned to him. "A bed! Do you know how long it has been? I'm going to be sore tomorrow." "Hi, Lum," Ataru said. She went to him and they embraced. "Hi, Darling. It's all working out. The Redet Fleet is here and on our side. The Seq Fleet is coming, and I understand that Yethiz is in the brig." "That I would like to see." "You can visit him later. Pochik Vel, and Azu Des have agreed to meet here tomorrow, along with the rest of the Families involved. We'll break the news to this Fleet tomorrow and then we'll tell the other Families. If they don't agree then I declare them traitors." "Do you think we have a chance to win?" "Not at all, but I don't care. I have you. If I can't have you then I would rather die, so it doesn't matter anymore." "How about all the other people who will die?" Ataru asked. He was becoming aware of how many people were really involved. It wasn't fair to be just concerned about themselves, and their own happiness. Lum turned away from Ataru. "Oh, them. It hurts. It hurts a lot, but Benten's right. I knew after I invaded your world -- our world. We're killing billions of people, all in the name of Family pride. It's just like this Fleet was run before I came, but on a larger scale. I have to stop it and I have to have you." Ataru took Lum's hand, and corrected her, "We have to stop it. We have to have each other," Ataru corrected, "Don't forget that I am with you. I am going to be the Emperor after all." Lum smiled. "I won't forget, Darling." They were silent for a moment and then Lum said, "There's something that I want to show you." "What?" "Come with me." Lum took Ataru's hand and lead him down the halls to a cul de sac which was starkly different from the decor of the rest of the ship. The wall had a wood finish, and there were candles arrayed at the sides of the double doors. The doors themselves actually had handles. They weren't mechanical as the rest of the doors on the ship were. "What is this?" Ataru asked, but Lum put her finger to his lips. "Quiet. Follow me." She pulled open the great door, and lead him in the dark chamber beyond. Once the door closed, it became dark. There was no electric lighting in the room. Only two candles burned at the opposite end of the room. Lum took a taper from a small black metal stand and lit it from the candles. She took the taper and used it to light four other candles, two on either side of the room. As she lit each one she said, "Eshol cha," and bowed. With each candle lit the room became a little brighter and Ataru began to see some detail. Tapestries lined the walls. Each bore strange images which danced in the candle light. There were people depicted on them, Uruseian, apparently, with great horns, riding beasts which looked a little like the beast that Rei had turned into in the dreams. At the end of the room was an altar painted flat black. On its center was a large white candle, with ancient writing on it. It appeared to Ataru that it might be an early form of Uruseian writing. He thought he could make out some of the letters, but it didn't make any sense to him. The candle was surrounded by a three-sided cabinet, which also bore writing. When Lum lit the fourth candle she took Ataru's hand and brought him to the altar. She knelt and he followed suit. She took her taper and lit the large candle saying, "Eschol cha, seit-e!" And she bowed her head to pray. Ataru was completely lost, but said nothing. After a few moments, Lum began to whisper, "Many centuries ago, when the Empire was only just looking out to the stars, the Emperors were considered to be divine servants of the Spirits. Along with ruling the Empire, they were also the spiritual leaders of the people. We have long since given up our divine title, but we still keep the temples. If you are to be Emperor you have to learn the stories." Ataru felt he was very shaky ground here. Ataru's only experience of religion was Cherry, and he didn't believe a word that Cherry told him. He had stopped really believing much in the supernatural at all. Civilization was destroying its gods, it seemed. Whether it was God, Buddha or Amaterasu they didn't matter anymore. Ataru had always assumed that the more advanced that a civilization became the less they would need gods. But then there was Ten with his desperate souls, and now this. How could he tell Lum that he didn't believe. Lum stood and pulled a small chair from its place against the wall. She motioned for Ataru to sit in it, and then she got one for herself. Looking around the room, she said, "Hmm, most of the things in here are from my ship. No doubt Yethiz doesn't worry much about the Spirits. It's not surprising. The greatest devotion is among the peasants. For a lot of the Families, the devotions are just social formalities. Something to do because that's what they're expected to do." "How about for you?" Ataru asked. Lum got up. "I don't know. Since it's been part of my training, I suppose I'm immersed in it more than most. Sometimes I think that I'm just praying to air, but other times. . ." Her voice trailed off. She went over the altar and stared at the large candle. The light danced on her features. She began speaking again. "Other times I can feel the Spirits with me, as real as you're with me now. When I was younger living in the palace I would come to our temple. It's much bigger than this one. I would go there just to be alone. It's was so big, and so old. It was like I could touch all the centuries that had gone there. Often the Spirits would come to me there. The Spirits' strength were in the walls and the beams, everywhere." Lum sat down again. "But I was younger, just a child. So many horrible things happen I wonder how there could be benign supernatural powers watching over us. Or maybe, if they're there, they just don't care. Why should they, after all?" Ataru started to feel as if it was safe to speak, now that Lum had revealed her own doubts. "I've never been very religious," he said. "I suppose that I've never really thought about it. My mother believes in all kind of spirits and demons. I guess I do a little. You can't throw away your parents beliefs all-together." Lum smiled. "I supposed not," she agreed. "I brought you here so that you would better understand your obligations, and to see another part of the real me. When we have more time, I'll teach you about it." Lum laughed. "I know all the facts and the stories, but I'm afraid my faith is a bit weak. I suppose that I can't really expect you to accept it wholeheartedly." She stood and went to put out the candles. "All the same though, I sometimes find comfort here. I have to admit that I keep my personal temple complete for more than just the formality. I can't shake the idea that if I believed better and trusted the Spirits more that my life would be easier." Ataru stood too. "It all happens tomorrow, doesn't it?" "Yeah," Lum said as she put out the last of the side candles, leaving the two that had been lit before and the large one. "Space battles tend to be rather short. We'll know who wins before the end of the day." "If we're alive at the end of the day, then we win?" Lum smiled. "Yes, something like that." "What do we win?" Lum went over to put the big candle out. "The right to be happy together and freedom for billions of slaves." She put it out and turning back to Ataru, who was now only a dark shadow in a dark room she said, "I've been thinking that maybe it's not fair to involve you in all this. I've brought you up here, and your life has been in danger ever since." Ataru approached Lum. He took a look around the dark room as he put his hands on her shoulders. "We are going to win tomorrow. We're going to make this Empire better, and we're going to do it together," he said tapping her gently on the forehead. "I know," she responded, and they kissed. [End of Part 12] Alt-Urusei Yatsura XIII "The House of Moroboshi" ____________________ Benten swung her fighter around to better train the computer lock on her elusive Azu target. Benten was almost willing to admit that this guy was good. He had already broken two locks. After a hard right, the computer bleeped a renewed lock. Benten squeezed the trigger and the lights dimmed momentarily as the ship released the energy charge. There was a flash as the energy struck its target, which was immediately vaporized. Benten smiled, and turned the fighter to find a new target. It had finally happened! Lum had announced Ataru as her fiance and declared the end of slavery as it had been known for the last three millennia. The families did not take the news well, as was expected, but there were also some surprises. Not all the families rejected Lum's proposals. Lum and Ataru had first announced their intentions to the crew of the reduced Imperial fleet, and the Redet fleet. The crew had been largely prepared for this announcement so there wasn't too much backlash. A few of the higher ups rejected it, but they were outnumbered, and if they were still determined to cause trouble, they were detained. Benten's computer beeped indicating an attempted lock-on. "Damn!" she said out-loud. She pulled hard on the stick. The engines roared and the ship flipped around. She got a look at the Azu bastard who was making a futile attempt to match her move. No other craft had the power hers did. After some fancy turns, she maneuvered behind the Azu ship. "He's got to be a rookie," she thought, "or just plain stupid." Most pilots knew better than to go after Benten alone. One didn't want to get her attention without some serious back-up. He was easy to get a lock-on to. He must be a rookie. Benten was in such a mood that she almost considered holding the lock for a while before firing, or letting him break it once or twice just to increase the agony, but it wasn't honorable. As much as she hated the Azus, even they deserved a clean kill. Torture was not a game she played, not out here. She fired. Benten noticed that she was getting very close to the Azu carrier. A Seq fighter flew past her. One of the engines had been blown off, the other was severely damaged. She pulled up before she got in range of the carrier's defenses, but watched the progress of the Seq fighter. The defense guns struck the disabled fighter twice, but weren't able to destroy it. The pilot must have been still alive, because he managed to get a couple shots off before impacting into the hull. That was someone that Benten would have wanted to know; duty until the end. Most pilots would have just panicked, fearing the impending collision. The shots didn't do a lot of damage, but they were a statement. Benten hadn't realized that Rei had so much support in his family, or perhaps it was his mother, Yedis. She was at the meeting when Lum invited all the involved families to her flag ship. Yedis screamed with the rest of them. Later, Benten overheard some of the things that she told her son in private. She asked him if he realized what he was giving up. Benten wasn't sure what changed her mind. On the surface it seemed that reading some of her brother's personal logs which Ten acquired for her did it, but Benten knew that wasn't true. It was because Rei would not back down. Cynically, one could say that he actually came to fear Ran more than his mother. Ran, in such a short time, had dug her claws in deep. However, there was a growing softer side in Benten's heart that told her Rei loved both Lum and Ran enough not to deny either of them what they wanted. Rei's mother, for her own part, unable to dissuade her son, loved him too much to turn her back on him. The entire Seq fleet joined Lum and Ataru. It was too bad that it was all coming to naught, though. Benten couldn't believe it, but even with full Seq help, they were losing. It made Benten's own act in the fighter bay earlier futile. She had come to a decision as she lay in her bed the night before. She spent most of the night listening to Shutaro's steady breathing. Hearing him so close to her got her to thinking how lonely her own bed was. She had even climbed down with the intention of waking him up and getting in bed with him, but she didn't. She just sat in the dark, thinking; staring at his faint silhouette in the lower bunk. Nearly naked, a pair of panties was her only sleeping attire, she felt her own breasts. She wouldn't say she was masturbating, she was just thinking. The desk chair she sat in was cold against her bare skin. She hadn't undressed in front of him the evening before. For all her brash words, she wasn't really ready for it. In fact, she had considered sleeping fully clothed because he was below her. She eventually decided she was being silly, but still she undressed on the top bunk after he was firmly settled and sleeping in the bottom. She wondered what she would do if he woke up now and saw her sitting watching him. She thought that she might go to him. Why did Lum have to put her through this? Benten had told him to wait, but did she really want to. Her upbringing told her that it was going too fast. She barely knew him. On her own planet courting could last years, certainly not less than a season. Four days was ridiculous. It was perhaps a full tenth before she came to a decision and climbed back into her bunk. She realized that this day would be a black and white day. Either they won and the Empire would begin a new era, or they lost and Benten, Mendo, Lum and Ataru would surely be dead. Benten met Mendo in the hangar before she entered her fighter and gave him the final ribbon. "I'll dance for you if I come back," she said and kissed him. "I love you." Mendo clutched the red and gold ribbon in his hand as he watched the fighter take off. Benten had kept a camera on him as long as she could. She had let herself cry then, and found herself crying now. She was not going to let them win! She fought getting angry. The angry fighter just gets killed all that much faster. She directed her anger to concentration. She found a new target and dove at it with cold precision. The target was quickly taken care of, but it didn't make the odds any less hopeless. * * * Jariten was confident, but nervous. There was little for him to do in the heat of battle, so he just stood by and watched. The bridge was a flurry of activity. People were running in and out with reports. The twenty who crewed the bridge were talking all at once to their respective stations. Lum and Rei went from station to station monitoring and giving orders. Ten was impressed. This seemed to be something where Rei was almost good. He was indeed a fair tactician. Even Ataru was put to work. He had been taught how to use the sensors and was helping to keep an accounting of positions and losses. For the moment, Ten had to admit that it wasn't going well. They got more help than Ten had thought they would. They had complete support of the Seq fleet, as well as many of the minor houses who had less to lose. They also had Dedron help. Ten was pleased about that. It was a great weight from Lum's shoulders. Ten remembered when they had broken up. It was hard on Lum then. She had turned to Ten and Benten for support, but Ten knew that there were things that Elle understood about Lum that no one else could. Ten could see the Dedron house and the Redet getting much closer in the future. When Dedron Elle first entered the conference, she regarded Lum and Ataru coldly. Her mood did not change for the better as Lum outlined what she really intended. When Lum dismissed the assembly to give them time to think it over, it was obvious what Dedron was planning, but Lum caught her before she reached her shuttle. "Please join me," Lum pleaded. Initially it looked as if Dedron was just going to ignore her old friend and continue in, but she stopped. Without turning she said, "Benten has corrupted you beyond my comprehension. To join you I'd have to destroy everything I believe in. I'd be betraying my family and the Empire." Lum went to her old friend and put a hand on her shoulder. "I've felt the same way. I know what duty is. You know that. This is my duty." Lum climbed the ramp and moved in front of Elle. "I've been keeping track of the kind of orders that you've given since you took power," she stated. "You've given a lot back to your planets. You and I aren't that far apart. The model I'm thinking about is not too different than what you're already implementing." Elle met Lum's eyes. "All right. I agree that my family and the others have been abusing the slaves and that reforms are necessary, but that's not the point. You're the Uruseian princess. You're supposed to be an example for the rest of the Empire. You're on a pedestal. You can't marry a slave, and you certainly can't make a slave the Emperor ruling over Uruseians. He's an alien, by the Spirits!" "So what if he is? Elle, my heart, on its own, called out to him. Out of all the beings in the Universe, he is the one. I need him more than I need air to breath. I think he is a gift from the Spirits, and he is a gift that I want." Elle's eyes narrowed on Lum. "And what gives you the right to have what you want? People like us don't have that luxury. You can't abandon your duty and you cannot abandon the Empire." Lum looked to the ground, avoiding Elle's accusing stare. Elle was making sense with words straight from all that they had been taught since childhood, but Lum was beginning to realize that being a good ruler was more than just duty. Lum renewed her resolve and looked up again. "It's not true, Elle. I love the Empire, and for all their foibles I love the people in it. An Empress needs more than just duty and education. She needs to be able to follow her heart. My heart is telling me that this is what I need. It is what the Empire needs. That's the voice that I've decided to listen to." Elle's expression softened somewhat. "You want to follow your heart, " She repeated. Elle sat down on the ramp, her legs hanging over the side. She looked up at Lum and smiled. "Do you remember the Mistress Erri." "Our early Uruseian politics teacher?" "Yeah." "She was a stern old bat, wasn't she?" Lum sat down next to Elle, not understanding the change of tone, but happy to see it. "Not really. I was following her one day, hoping to get an opportunity to place a rather large insect I found in her satchel, but she went to an orphanage." "An orphanage, Why? I got the impression that she hated children." "Believe me, I was curious about it. I found out that she had been volunteering there for years, working in the infirmary. I following her all the way in; I couldn't believe it. Hiding behind the door frame, I watched her work with the children. With everything they needed, she was there. One small boy was screaming. He was yelling for his mother. I guess he was only recently orphaned. She held him and held him even though he hit her and accused her of keeping him from his mother. Eventually he fell asleep. When she got up to put him in bed she looked up and saw me. I guess I was so fascinated that I had stepped out into the doorway. She just smiled at me." "You never told me that before," Lum said. "I didn't think you would believe me." "You're probably right." "Anyway, you know that soon after that year I became an orphan myself. All I had was my grandfather, and then he died last year. And at the same time I lost you to Benten." "You never lost me. We had that fight, but we just couldn't agree about the slaves." "Slaves, Lum? I don't care if the slaves are free or not. I've know enough Uruseians to know that we're no superior race. It was just an academic thing to argue about. You were spending more time with Benten and less with me. Benten was getting that side of you that you only had shared with me." "We were just on the same ship. You had your duties, and I had mine. There are still some things that I couldn't never talk to Benten about." "Old Erri had taught me then that there was more to life than duty and politics long ago. I was just trying to show you that you couldn't hurt me." Elle paused, looking to the ground. She sighed and looked back to Lum. "But on the Ataru question, I still think that you are going too far." "I think so too," Lum agreed, "but it's what I have to do. I won't back down." Elle smiled. "I know how stubborn you can be. You've put your foot in it. The only way you can be Empress now is to win this battle." Elle stood and stepped down from the ramp. She genuflected before Lum, and said, "The Dedron house offers its support to the Emperor and his daughter." "And Ataru?" Lum asked. Elle paused, but then said, "as well as the fiance of the Princess." "You don't know how pleased I am to here this." Lum guided Elle up and hugged her. "Welcome back, old friend." "I always thought Rei was a horrible match for you, anyway." * * * Mendo was quite convinced that he was the most useless being in the universe. He lay in the bottom bunk in the small room that he shared with Benten. The universe was engaged in pitched battle and he was doing absolutely nothing. In his hand, he held the ribbon that Benten had given him. He studied the shape of the letters. What was the word? "Chi." What was he supposed to do with this? Benten was talking about marriage. Mendo was not sure he was ready for marriage, especially marriage to an alien. That's not something that happens to Earth people too often, although he had imagined it enough. He thought about gorgeous alien women worshipping at his feet as he strode confidently up the center aisle to his throne. Sitting on the other throne waiting for him was Benten. She wore a white satin gown, and her long dark hair flowed about her. He wore his usual pressed whites, but with a long red cape with gold trim added for effect. He brushed a hair back from his forehead as he walked up the tall flight of stairs. He sat next to Benten, and scantily clad maidens brought perfumes and fruit. Mendo took a bright red apple from one of the offered trays and took a bite, then he offered it for Benten. She turned to him, her eyes sparkling, her smile radiant. She opened her rose shaded lips to speak. "If you fuckin' think I'm going to take a bite from that after you've slobbered over it, you've got another damn thing comin'!" Mendo opened his eyes with a start. He sat up in the bed, and looked at the ribbon again. He fell back on the bed, with a sigh. There was no doubt that he had to take both sides, but he worried if maybe there was even more sides to her. Courting an alien was one thing, but he knew he wasn't ready for marriage. * * * Ataru concentrated on what the numbers were telling him. He had to work hard to remember that the numbers being tallied up were the real life slaughter of hundreds of people. It was all beyond him. Ataru didn't like war, but he understood how it could be necessary, and he could even convince himself that it was necessary now. Lum came up behind him and looked over his shoulder, "How's it going, Darling?" she asked. "Poorly," he admitted. "We have a slightly higher kill ratio, but they have at least twice as many fighters, plus a slight edge on small cruisers. I thought that we were suppose to have superior numbers with the help of Rei's fleet." "We were, Darling. I blame myself. Pochik had been stockpiling. He would have wiped Azu out quickly if we had let him." "So, you have a plan. We can still win this, can't we?" She moved closer to his ear and whispered. "With prayer, luck and a little brilliance, anything is possible." "You don't sound too confident," Ataru observed. "A good leader is always confident, no matter what the odds. You remember that too." "Heh," Ataru let out a small laugh. "Then again, I think we'll probably kick ass." Lum kissed him on the cheek. "Keep track of those numbers. We'll win." She went on to the next operator. Ataru watched her for a second and then went back to his own screen. Ataru knew that everyone watched Lum to see what she thought of the situation. If she was seen to be giving up, then their cause was hopeless. Ataru hadn't considered that he was also in the spotlight. He watched the numbers tally up against them. "Well, it's not something that I'll have to worry about for too long," he thought gloomily. * * * Sugoi's first night in a Terran home was a bit rough. There were quite a few Uruseian amenities she was used to that weren't available in a typical Japanese household. Real eating utensils was one thing. She had thought of many unpleasant ways to dispose of those damn sticks. They made her feel like a child. She also didn't like sitting on the floor so much. The doors wouldn't open on their own accord, and the bathing accommodations! The house was kept clean enough, but everything was so primitive. She was given a mat to sleep on in the guest room. It was comfortable enough, but she missed her nice warm bed at home. She stared up at the ceiling, listening to all the alien sounds in her new home. She fought the urge to hide in a corner. She couldn't guess as to what kind of terrible creatures were making all that noise. All planets had certain night sounds. Sometimes it was plants, sometimes small harmless insects, and sometimes it was the quite disarming sounds of large meat eating monsters coming in for the kill. Sugoi tried not to let it get to her. There were no reports of dangerous creatures roaming the cities on Earth. The buildings certainly wasn't made to withstand such an attack. All the same though, she had to figure how to get out, and back onto an Uruseian ship. She had to get to that transmitter. She sat up. She had to get to it now. She thought of Megane. In a quick midnight raid she wouldn't need him. She could find it and be gone before anyone knew. She doubted if Lum told anyone on the crippled carrier that Sugoi was supposed to exiled. They'd be all too happy to rescue her. Her thoughts turned to Megane again. She was considering that she might miss him. He was cute, if not a bit long winded at times. If Earth was made a slave planet then she could make him her servant. That would be fun, she thought. All the more reason to get the fleet here as soon as possible, and make Lum pay for her crimes. Sugoi got her Uruseian clothes and put them on. That school uniform looked a little silly, besides it was too tight in the bust. Sugoi went to the window. She was in a first floor room. She opened the window and climbed out. Sugoi had a good sense of direction and had kept track of their earlier trip. She made her way quickly through the dark streets to the school. It was black and quiet. This was going to be easy. If only their weren't so many night sounds. They still made Sugoi nervous. She went to the front door and found it locked. She went around the building and found all the other doors locked as well, then she tried the first story windows. The first one she went to opened easily. She climbed in, and closed the window behind her. Now it got difficult. She hadn't been to Onsenmark's office, or to any place else in the building, save the infirmary and she didn't want to go back there; too many bad memories. She started from what she knew. The infirmary was on the second floor. They had put her there to hide her from the agents, who probably met Onsenmark in his office. It wouldn't be too close to the Infirmary then. It was probably on the first floor. She remembered that there was a unique symbol on Onsenmark's helmet. She would look for that. It was hard going. Street lamps lit the grounds and shone dimly through the windows. She read the doors by that meager light. Most of the symbols were complex and meant nothing to her. Finally, thought she found the one she was looking for and went in. Shinobu and Onsenmark were waiting for her in the dark. When she turned to leave, Sakura blocked her path. Sakura turned on the light and went to sit down. Sugoi noticed that Onsenmark was holding the transmitter in his hand. Sugoi cursed herself. She had been so foolish. What kind of idiot would try on the first night? Of course there would be people waiting for her. "I'm such an idiot," she said out-loud. "I agree," Shinobu said coldly in Uruseian, "but for different reasons, I'm sure." Sugoi was surprised. She didn't know about this one. She had thought that the only two Terrans who spoke Uruseian were Megane and Ataru. "So who taught you our language?" Sugoi asked. "Benten," Shinobu responded. Sugoi smiled, "Yes, I recognize the accent. So now you got me. I'm not to be trusted, but you knew that. Do you shoot me? Lock me in a cage?" Shinobu turned to Onsenmark, "She wants to know what we're going to do with her." "We can't wait here every night," Sakura said. "It was fortuitous that we caught her at all." "She's only dangerous if she gets this transmitter," Onsenmark explained, "It's the only one. I think we've made our point. We can send her back now." "I do not agree," Sakura said, "If she wasn't dangerous and crafty, Lum would not have exiled her." "If she was too dangerous," Shinobu offered, "I don't believe Lum would have left her with us." "So how did you get involved in all this?" Sugoi asked Shinobu. Shinobu had to shake her head back to Uruseian. "I came up with Ataru. I was a stowaway. Why do you want to see this planet destroyed so badly?" "What?" Sugoi asked, genuinely surprised. "I don't want to see it destroyed. Then it would be no use to the Empire. You've seen what we have. Don't you want to be a part of the Empire? Lum's going to destroy the Empire. You should be helping me." Shinobu switched languages again. "I think Lum left her here so that we could teach her. Maybe teach her the same lesson that Ataru taught Lum. We won't do her any good by throwing her in prison." "Is it fair for Megane to have to bear the brunt of it?" Sakura asked. "What if some of her treachery falls on him? I am not all convinced that we should have accepted this charge from Lum." "I am," Onsenmark interjected. "Are we teachers, or aren't we? She's a child, as moldable as any of our other students. We have to think on a galactic scale now." Sugoi looked around at the faces of her judges. Once again people were talking about her, but she couldn't understand a word that they were saying. In the course of her time already on Earth she had picked up a couple words, but definitely not enough to follow any dialogue. She was caught. It was a stupid mistake on her part. The question for her now was what to do about it. If they let her go, should she try again? She wondered if it mattered anymore. Any information that Sugoi had would quickly become outdated and obsolete if Lum made her move. It made Sugoi feel a bit useless. Shinobu spoke to Sugoi. "We have decided to take you back to Megane's house. I'm going to walk you back to make sure that you get there." Sugoi looked between the faces of her captors, and performed a Japanese bow, trying a rough approximation of "Thank you." As they walked back, Sugoi decided to put her innate curiosity to more current use. "So how 'cum you decided to stow away?" she asked. Shinobu hesitated, preferring to maintain a wary attachment to this new Uruseian. Still, she didn't want to be rude. "I didn't mean to stow away. I just wanted to convince Ataru not to go." "You didn't want him to go to the Princess?" "No. We thought that she was a monster then." Sugoi's curiosity meter was peaking. There was definitely some fun here. "So you were trying to keep him from the clutches of some monster." "Yes, Cherry and I tried to talk him out of leaving, but then the doors closed and the ship took off." "Cherry?" Shinobu stopped short. She had forgotten that Cherry was wanted. Well, Sugoi was going to meet him sooner or later. "He was the one that you ran into, the one who blew up the engine." "Then Lum was responsible for the saboteur!" "No! Lum wouldn't blow up her own ship. Benten almost killed him for it. He got away from us. He thought he was saving the Earth." "From the terrible Uruseian monsters, huh?" "We have every reason to hate you, you know. Thousands of people died in the initial invasion." "It was on Lum's orders. I wasn't even there," Sugoi pointed out. Shinobu was becoming angry, remembering all the stories that Benten had told her. "Lum stopped it! It was you and your kind who were responsible! I learned a lot about what you people do to other planets. Your Empire is disgraceful! If Lum and Ataru stop the families they'll be saving the Empire!" Shinobu stopped walking. She tried futilely to control her outburst. "Here's the house. You had better go in." Sugoi considered Shinobu and her anger for a second. "If Lum has announced her plans already, then millions are dying in a bloody civil war. There'll be nothing left of the Empire when it is done, and then billions will die of starvation and disease. The darkness will last forever. Is that what you want? What's more disgraceful, Lum's selfishness or mine?" "It wasn't Lum who fired the first shot," Shinobu said under her breath after Sugoi left to go back to the house. Shinobu watched Sugoi enter through the window she had left and then turned to go home herself. She looked up toward the sky as she walked. She wished that she was still up there. Her mother had become so moody, and possessive. Shinobu had to sneak out of the house. She hoped that her mother would be able to forget, and start over again. And how did Shinobu herself, feel about the loss of her father? Strangely numb, she had to admit. She hadn't cried yet. She did miss him. Shinobu looked up at the sky again. It's just that she lost so many things in the invasion. There was nothing left of the Shinobu with two parents, who went to school everyday and was dating a boy that she hoped to marry. She didn't dream about becoming a wife, having children and being all the things a Japanese woman is expected to be. She dreamed of space travel, and an Empire in the stars. She dreamed of being a fighter pilot, like Benten. She shook her head and directed her view to her moving feet. Solid earth is what was in store for her. Maybe she needed to learn to begin life over again. Maybe she was playing a similar game to what her mother was playing. She hadn't cried because she was keeping her head in the clouds. "Daddy," she whispered. She let the walls down and felt the wave of grief wash over her. She stopped walking. The impact was too great. She went to the side of the road and sat down in the gravel. "My Daddy's gone," she said again and began to weep. * * * Ran busied herself cleaning Lum's room. It didn't need it. It had only been used one night, but there was nothing else for her to do. When the occasional shock wave hit the ship it was all she could do to keep from screaming. Ran was not made for pitched battle. Ran was more for cold wars. It was especially bad because she knew that every hit took her a little further from Rei. She could feel in the air that the battle was not going well. Ran noticed that part of Lum's bedspread was slightly uneven, so she tore it apart and went to make it again. It would be the fifth time. Ran had been so enjoying the taste of her success. Rei was indeed irrevocably hers, and she had even managed to gain some acceptance from Rei's mother. Ran imagined herself sitting as matriarch of the Seq house. She liked the vision. It didn't even matter that Lum was planning to severely cut the power of the families. There would still be more wealth than Ran had ever hoped for and there would be Rei. An intense shock wave rocked the ship, tossing Ran against a wall. She was a little dazed as she tried to stand. That was far worse than the others. It had to be a direct hit. The battle had come here, which meant most of the fighters had to be defeated. Ran's vision was fading away. At least she had the chance to dream for a little while. * * * Sweat ran down Benten's forehead. Her fighter's cells were beginning to run low. She would have to return to the carrier soon, but she didn't know how she could. There were so few friendly ships out now. Everywhere she looked were enemy fighters. The battle had moved much closer to the Seq carrier, too close. Then she saw the view she was dreading: bombers! They had brought the bombers out. They were going after the carriers. It was the beginning of the end. The fighter cover had to be nearly obliterated. Benten turned from her target and rushed toward the bomber group. She could at least slow them down. Why did she push Lum? Lum was right. They should have waited. Now it was too late. They had played their cards and their hand was wanting. "Damn it!" Benten yelled. "Damn it to hell and back!" She cried for her home as she tried to get a lock on one of the bombers. Soon she would be gone and then there would be no hope. In a hundred years or less, her world would be barren and lifeless; no different from the small moons that circled it. "Damn the Azus," she yelled and fired. The lights dimmed again, and one bomber exploded. It didn't matter there were ten more. A red flashing caught her eye. It was the power indicator. She had to return to the carrier, and soon. Another shot would drain her ship completely. She steeled her determination and turned to the next bomber. * * * On the bridge of her temporary flag ship, Lum watched the approaching bombers in silence. They had lost. It was just a matter of time. "Princess," one of the operators called out. "Benten's fighter reads past the red line, but I can't get her to return to the carrier." "Damn her!" Lum spat and started to go to communications, but then stopped herself. She thought for a second and then continued. She raised Benten's ship. "Benten do you know that your cells are nearly dry?" "Fuck, yeah! I'm going to nail these bastards out here! They're not going to catch me lounging around waiting for my fucking batteries to charge up!" "I understand. Good bye, old friend." There was a pause and then the speaker crackled. "Good bye, my Empress. Dammit! I do like the way that sounds. Almost got him. Hey Lum, watch this one go!" Ataru spoke up. "There's something wrong with this thing. This huge blotch just appeared on my screen." Another operator confirmed his assessment. "I have the same thing Princess. There's a large mass approaching us. It apparently just came out of sub space." "Any identification?" "It's still too far away, but we'll know in a moment." * * * Benten took her time lining up her shot. Since it was going to be her last one, she felt that it should be a good one. Something to remember as she slowly froze to death, coffined in a lifeless hunk of metal. A flash caught her attention and she turned to look behind her. It was a wondrous sight. A wall of lights was rapidly approaching. Thousands of tiny points, like stars, but more intense and moving. Benten forgot what she was doing as she watched them. She was in no danger, for everyone else had also stopped fighting. What was it? What could it be? Had the Spirits taken an interest in the battle and come to participate? Ataru stood as he looked out the windows that lined the bridge of the Seq carrier. Everything was quiet. Lum absently took his hand. "What are they?" Ataru asked. "A wedding present," Ten said interrupting the moment. Lum turned, "You know what this is?" "Of course, it's my job to know." "What are they?" Ataru asked. "Wait for it," Ten said, now lounging back on the captain's chair. "The Emperor sure does know how to put on a show." "My father?!" "Shhh. Savor the moment," Ten whispered. Lum turned back to the spectacle in utter amazement. She could not imagine that anything could be so great, so wondrous. The lights sparkled all around the ship. "The blotch is separating now," Ataru said looking down at his instruments. "It's huge. It'll overtake us in a thousandth." Ataru looked back up. "Fighters," Rei said, coming to the realization "Thousands of them." Indeed even as Rei named what it truly was, the first of them past by the Seq carrier. Ship upon ship passed by, some of them roaring so close that their exhaust rattled the ship. "Those are Redet markings!" Someone shouted. "Told you," Ten said confidently. "But how?" Lum asked, "Where did they all come from? Everything we have is already here except for the fleet around Urusei, and they don't have near this many fighters." "It's not the homeworld fleet. It belongs to . . ." "Princess!" The communications officer shouted. "The commander of the fighter group is signaling, asking for orders. He wants to talk to Moroboshi. Who's Moroboshi?" Lum and Ataru stood in stunned silence. "As I was saying," Ten began, a little annoying at being interrupted. "They belong to the House of Moroboshi. It's a wedding present." "What?! How did my Father know? Who's flying them? Where did they all come from?" "They're mine?!" Ataru asked feeling a little dizzy. "Yes," said Ten. "And they're waiting for orders. Perhaps you should tell them to take out those enemy bombers heading our way." "Yeah sure, I . . . " Ataru just sat down. His eyes were wide with confusion. Ten nodded to the communications officer, who relayed the order. Lum walked over to Ten. She was becoming aware that there were many things going on that a certain person, supposedly under her employ, was not telling her. Ten, without getting up, glanced up at the glowering Lum. He smiled disarmingly. "Yes?" he said. "Explain," Lum said darkly. "Hmmm, where should I begin?" "They're tearing the Pochik fighters apart!" Someone yelled. "Princess, Benten has landed. She's on her way up," The communications officer stated. Lum glanced her way, and let a brief sigh of relief. She then turned back to Ten. Ataru came up. "How is it that they're my fighters?" "Simple," Ten answered. "You can't be Emperor without your own fleet. How would you defend your throne?" "How did my father know his name?" Lum asked between her teeth. She knew the answer and it made her a bit angry. "That's obvious," Ten admitted, utterly unaffected by Lum's anger. "I told him. Your father likes to keep tabs on things. I've been giving him daily reports." "You're supposed to be working for me!" "And I am. Haven't I been doing a good job? It's not like I was selling secrets to the enemy." It was all beginning to make sense. She had always believe that her father had a magical sixth sense into his daughter's psyche. Now she knew the truth. He had an inside man. "All the same," she said, her anger building, "I expected you to keep my secrets." "I know, but your father hired me first." "What?! How long have you been reporting to him?" "Since I entered the service. It was his idea. He has an eye for good talent." "Damn you, Ten! I trusted you." Lum rushed out of the bridge. Ten sighed. "I thought she would understand." Ten got up. "Ataru, my lad, it's a rough job. Her father wanted her to feel like she was acting on her own." "I think the point is that she really wasn't." "She was, for the most part, but that's not the point. She thinks I've betrayed her. I think she needs you to be with her." Ataru started to go and then stopped. "Have we won now?" "Oh yes. There was never any real doubt. Congratulations, my Emperor." Ataru left the bridge. Ten watched him go. "Please don't hate me, cousin," he said quietly. "I did it because I love you." * * * Lum ran down the hall, crying. She was betrayed by the one person who had helped her through so much. Her friend who played the family game for fun, but was never stained by it, was in it as deep as everyone else. And her father, her dearest father had hired someone to spy on her. He didn't really trust her. He wasn't really letting her take charge. He too was playing politics with her. Their was no love anywhere. It was all power and mistrust. Lum stopped in the middle of hall and shouted. "Damn you all! Damn the universe and everything in it!" "Well," Benten said. "That's some way to celebrate. We've won. Why aren't you happy?" Lum turned hard on her old friend. "Did you know that Jariten was reporting to my father?" "Oh," Benten said stepping back. "Why didn't you tell me? Why didn't anyone tell me?" "Your father told us not to. He wanted to see how you would handle things on your own." "Waiting for me to botch things up so he could come to the rescue! It seems I can't trust anyone." "Now wait just a damn minute, sister," Benten said pointing a finger at Lum. "No one's fucking betrayed anyone. Your father had this whole revolution thing planned, but he didn't want to pressure you into it. I wanted to tell you, but he said that you had to be allowed to decide things on your own. If you had decided to just go and marry Rei, that would have been the end of it. We had to live with your decision." "Why was he waiting for me? Why didn't he just take the fighters and defeat the families himself?" "It takes a while to build up a fleet like that without anyone knowing it. And then he had to train the slave pilots." "Slave pilots? They aren't Uruseian?" "No, of course not," Benten said, letting her pride show. "He wanted good pilots. Besides where would he get that many more Uruseian pilots, and who better to free the slaves with. He just got everything done, shortly before he told you he was retiring. He knew that it was about time for you to take the throne, but he didn't want to just leave you with a Empire torn by civil war. It had to be your choice. I was wondering if you'd ever make it. Thank the Spirits for Ataru. It couldn't be more perfect. Now that he has his own fleet, he can easily claim the throne. The families will be too scared to challenge him." Lum leaned back against the wall, to try and digest everything that had happened. "It was all a test then?" "Not really. There was no wrong answer, though I would have been a bit peeved if you had just let things go." Ataru came running down the hall. "Benten," he said through heavy breaths. "I'm glad you got back." "Yeah, me too. If you'll excuse me, I have someone to attend to." Benten turned to leave. "I'm glad you're here as well," Lum said to Benten before she was gone. Benten half turned back to Lum, she was grinning devilishly. "We fuckin' won! Hah!" She cheered and went off down the hall. After Benten was gone, Ataru put a hand on Lum's shoulder and said, "Ten didn't mean to hurt you." Lum turned, and embraced him. "I know, Darling. I know. Let's go see how well your fleet can fight." They separated and taking the other's hand they walked back to the bridge. "We won, didn't we?" Ataru asked. "Yes, all our dreams have finally come true." [End of Part 13] Lewis Burden P.O. Box 5311 Traverse City, Mi 49685-5311 Jan. 13,1994 Alt-Urusei Yatsura Epilogue Forever, Will I Dream of You _________________ Ataru's stomach was tied in knots. It had been for the entire day. Lum's father's cruiser closely followed the massive fighter onslaught that had saved the day for them. The battle had ended quickly after the fighters arrived. Once the wave of bombers approaching the Seq carrier were obliterated and the fighters were turning toward the Pochik and Azu fleets, the two families and their supporters quickly gave in. It was Pochik Ando who surrendered for the Pochik fleet. The excitement of the battle and then the sudden defeat was finally too much for the elder Pochik. Pochik Vel was dead. Ando, the new leader of the Pochik house, not only surrendered, but offered congratulations to Lum and Ataru. Azu Des was not quite as friendly. And now Lum's father was arriving. He wanted to meet Ataru. Ataru, for his own part wanted to run and hide. Ten spent a considerable amount of time finding the appropriate attire for Ataru and then teaching him the correct responses. In the end he said that Ataru had little reason to be nervous. Ten had been providing favorable reports. The wedding present should be ample indication of how the Emperor felt about Ataru. Now, all dressed up, Ataru waited. There was nothing for him to do. He was afraid to move, lest he ruffle the fine clothes he was wearing. He breathed a heavy sigh. "Computer: Time?" he called. "Point 68:34," came the response. Ataru closed his eyes. The audience was at point 70. He wasn't really sure how long it was, but he was sure that it would be all too long, and all too short. * * * Ran was working at a furious pace, talking all along. "Oh dear, oh dear, Mistress, I can't believe that this is happening. He's actually going to meet your parents." Ran stepped back to check on her work. Perhaps Lum needed another ribbon, or maybe a slightly different hair style. She needed something that was for certain. Lum felt that what she needed was out of these constricting clothes and into her comfortable uniform. She didn't remember this dress pinching her stomach so much. She wondered when she had time to put on weight. Of course, it had been over a year since she had worn it. She had grown a little since then. "Ran, are you going to be done soon?" "Done, mistress? Oh, dear me. I couldn't let you go out unfinished, not on such an occasion. And besides, this'll probably be the last time I'll get to dress you up." Lum smiled. "I suppose then I could stand here a bit longer. Computer: time?" "Point 69:20." "By the Spirits! Mistress, I am so sorry. I have taken a long time." Ran ran a comb through Lum's hair a couple more times and said, "There, that will have to do. You had better run. You don't want to keep your father waiting today." Lum went to the mirror; beyond perfect. Lum was going to miss Ran's services. "Thank you, Ran," She said, and rushed to the door. "I'm just a humble servant. Now don't run, and get yourself messed up, but hurry!" Ran called to Lum as she left the room. The door closed and Ran began cleaning the scraps from the floor. As servants go, she thought, her life had been pretty good. She certainly didn't deserve for it to get any better, but it was going to. She had been ill earlier in the day. She put her hand on her stomach and smiled. She didn't need a doctor to know. She would tell Rei and everyone else after the wedding. She had eleven months to think up a name. * * * Ataru waited outside the entry to the imperial suite. His earlier nervousness was dwarfed by what he felt now, waiting outside the door with Oyuki. She said only what she absolutely had to. His attempts to make conversation had failed miserably. He now tugged his collar in an uncomfortable silence waiting for Lum. Although she wasn't late, it was somewhere just short of eternity before Lum arrived. Ataru felt himself going flush. He wished she had delayed a little longer. "Are you ready?" she said, hugging him. Ataru nervously glanced over to Oyuki, to see her reaction at Lum's action; cold disdain. "I think so," Ataru said. Lum stepped back and smiled warmly. "You look very handsome. Uruseian styles suit you." "It's just something I threw on," Ataru tried to joke. "You look incredible," he said seriously. Lum blushed. "The Emperor is waiting," Oyuki interrupted. "We're ready," Lum replied. Oyuki went to the doors, and opened them. Lum's father and mother sat in two great chairs toward the center of the room. They weren't thrones, but one would think before sitting in them. "Please come in," The Emperor called when he noticed them hesitating. Ataru and Lum took cautious steps forward. "Hello, daddy," Lum said. "Sir," Ataru said, and bowed. Looking back up, he was surprised that Lum's father was regular sized. He was by no means a small man, but he wasn't a giant. Lum's mother looked exactly as Ataru expected her to. In turn, she regarded Ataru suspiciously, much in the way the family leaders had at the conference before the war. Lum's father's expression was much more friendly, and welcoming. "It's Ataru isn't it?" he began. "From the Family of Moroboshi?" "Yes, sir," Ataru confirmed. "Moroboshi," The Emperor repeated to himself, and then said, "We've heard a great deal about you, and all of it good. Are you in love with my daughter?" "Yes, sir." "And how do you plan to support her?" "Daddy?!" Lum shouted. The Emperor smiled, "Just joking." "No!" Lum's mother spoke up. "I think it is a valid question. Beyond not being Uruseian, what is your background on Earth? How powerful is your Family? Is the name of Moroboshi well known on Earth?" "It might be now." Ataru was getting more nervous. "My family is not wealthy," he admitted. Lum's mother turned to her husband. "See, he is an alien peasant. How can you expect the Empire to accept him as the Emperor? They will laugh at him. They will laugh at our daughter. This is not right!" Lum's mother's words were spoken almost exactly as Lum thought they would be. She stepped forward. "Mother," she began. "No one is laughing now. My dah--Ataru has proved himself again and again. In a rescue mission on Earth, in Ossak, and in the recent battle. He has my support and the support of this fleet. His name may not be known on Earth, but it is becoming know in the Empire." "And he has my support," The Emperor added. "Are you all blind?" Lum's mother said. "We can't have an alien as the Emperor of the Uruseian Empire. Can't you see what it means?" "Of course," Lum's father said plainly, "the end of the Uruseian Empire. But the question is, was it worth saving? I think we'll be replacing it with something, stronger, and more beneficial to it's people." The Empress studied her husband for a long while. It was plain that his bold statement had stung her. "How can you throw five thousand years of tradition away that easily? I have never understood you." Lum and Ataru were starting to feel like spectators in an old war. The Emperor's voice became more compassionate. "Dearest, I know you better than that. You cry when a baby bird falls from a tree. I know you've never liked your Family's policies or the suffering that they've caused." "It is true, my elder brother Des is a hard ruler, but that doesn't mean we have to throw out the whole Empire. That doesn't mean that we have to give the Empire to the slaves. The Uruseian people built this Empire, why should we just step back now and give away the fruit of our labor?" "Empress Redet," Ataru spoke up, "It is not a matter of giving the Empire away. Those families who supported us will retain most of their power. The change will be that the other planets will have the right to share in some of that power. Competition won't be limited to just Uruseians. We ask no more than the just return for our labors. The Families have been taking far more than their share, with no concern for the people they govern. The only way to make sure that it never happens again is to give the people a fair voice." Lum took up where he left off. "It will be a long time before there is true equality between Urusei and the other planets. It would be useless to completely destroy the power structure that is in place now. The suffering would far out weigh the benefits. Ataru is a sign of a beginning, not an ending." The Emperor nodded. "I taught you well. And you, my son, I am impressed." He turned to his wife. "I am not going to force the decision. It is up to you. Do you want to deny our daughter her choice of husband?" The Empress turned to her daughter, and then to Ataru. She had no real reason to dislike him. He carried himself well. She wished that she had been closer to her daughter. This was just another part of the separation between the two women. She could never explain anything to her daughter. They spoke a different language. Lum spoke the language of her father, which the Empress rarely understood. When it came down to it, she wasn't made for politics. Any of her sisters would have been a better choice for Empress in that respect, but Enjo, had chosen her. She looked back to her daughter. She couldn't decide on the basis of politics. She nodded meaningfully, and then got up and went to the bedroom. Her husband watched her go, and then turned back to the couple. "That was hard for her," he said. "I don't think we need to rush this anymore. The wedding will be in three months, and shortly after that will be the coronation. Your mother and I wish you both the best." "Could we make that two months?" Lum asked. "Yes, but why?" "Well, I had promised Ran that we would have a double wedding, and I think she would prefer to have it sooner rather than later." "Who is Ran marrying?" Lum couldn't help but laugh a little. "Something has escaped my father's attention," she said if feigned shock. "My dear Emperor, Ran is engaged to Seq Rei." Shortly afterwards Lum and Ataru left the room, while the Emperor went to console his wife. "I'm curious," Ataru said as they left. "Why would Ran want the wedding earlier?" "She's pregnant," Lum said. "She'll want to be married before it starts to show too much." "Pregnant?! When did she tell you?" "She didn't. Women just know. Don't tell her that I know." "Does she know?" "I would think so. As green as she was when she got me up this morning, I would imagine she's figured it out." * * * And so it was announced throughout the Empire that the Princess was to be married in two revolutions of the larger of the Uruseian moons; approximately forty Earth days. Once the formality of the surrender agreements were drawn up and signed and the repairs to the fleet were made, Lum directed the fleet back to Earth to pick up her own carrier and to fulfill some promises. Benten and Mendo also discussed wedding plans. Both agreed that waiting was a good idea. For now, they would worry about Lum and Ataru's wedding and then they would consider their own. When Benten told the other pilots of her plans, though, there was quite a reaction. Not just to the revelation that Mendo wasn't her brother, or that she was getting married, but also to her own change in attitude. She had softened considerably since the battle. She had not given up the old Benten completely, not by a long shot. When you act a certain way long enough it becomes a part of you. Still, she was rediscovering the traditional attitudes of her own world. She remembered their comfort. She didn't have to be a huntress anymore. Her people would be saved now. * * * It was finally twenty earth days since the fleet had left Earth for the battle at Uinod, that they pulled back into Martian orbit, next to Lum's carrier. Lum couldn't wait to get back. She was in a shuttle almost before the carrier pulled into orbit. She was greeted by the commander of the repair crew, and the young lieutenant whom she had promoted. They both congratulated her and told her that the repairs were complete. The ship was ready to go whenever she was ready. Lum was pleased. She ordered the entire fleet back to Earth, and there the crew would be returned. On the way back to Earth, Lum called Onsenmark's transmitter. "When we didn't hear from you, we were becoming worried, "Onsenmark said. "Yes, I know. I promised regular reports, but things went so quickly. We won. I plan to orbit Earth for a couple weeks. Ataru and I would be willing to talk before a world assembly if that is desired. I would also like to allow some shore leave for my crew. We will we arriving shortly, but will wait until the world leaders are ready for us. By the way, how is Sugoi?" There was a pause. "I think you had better talk to her about it." "Oh?" Lum wasn't sure how to take that comment. "She hasn't been any trouble, has she?" "Not too much. I had better relay your message. It could take some time. I'll get back to you when you reach Earth. Onsenmark out." Lum turned off the transmitter. Ataru, Mendo and Benten had been looking over her shoulder. "He didn't say much, did he?" Mendo asked. "We might have caught him off guard," Benten suggested. "We'll find out when we get there." * * * It was an hour and a half (earth time) before the fleet pulled into orbit of Earth. Almost immediately upon reaching orbit the evacuation of the Seq carrier began. The fighters of Ataru's fleet, even with the highly diminished numbers of the original fighters, couldn't all fit in the Redet carrier. It was much easier than trying to stuff them all in the Seq carrier. Nearly half the fighters had to be on rotation. Now, with both carriers stuffed to over-capacity, only a handful of fighters needed to remain on patrol at a time. Lum's father said that the Moroboshi carrier, capable of carrying the whole flight was under construction. It was easy to build fighters in secret. Carriers were a different matter. Before the battle, the fighters has been brought to Uinod on their own power. The subspace jump was created by a group of small cruisers. The technology for that was a little experimental, but it worked just the same. With the fleet in orbit and the transfer underway, there was nothing more to do but wait for Onsenmark's return call. Ten chuckled, noticing the waiting silence that everyone else sat in. They had gone back to Ten's room in the command section. Ten sat comfortably in his favorite chair in the corner. "Isn't it much easier just to invade a planet?" he asked rhetorically. "Instead we have to sit around and wait for them to decide what to do about us." "All the same, I prefer this way," Lum said. "Couldn't we just pick up whoever we need to pick up and head back to Urusei?" Benten asked testily. "With Ataru as Emperor," Lum explained, "Earth will be the second planet of the Empire. We should give them a chance to decide first whether or not they want to be part of that Empire." "The politicians could take years making such a decision," Ten pointed out. "All right," Lum said. "I'm a little impatient as well. We'll stick around for two weeks, as I said. If they don't make any decisions then we'll pick up who we want and head off for the wedding." Ataru found himself staring around the room. "I can't believe how much has happened since we were last in here." "I was never in here before," Mendo said. "This is quite a room. I think I could learn to live in a room like this." Ten turned up his nose. "There've been so many people here, it is getting to look a little lived in, almost shabby. I still haven't got the vomit smell out of the bathroom." Ataru lowered his head, "Sorry." "Drunk on my best Yuli," Ten muttered. "Dammit! I deserved it!" Benten exclaimed and started laughing. She was cut off by the plaintive bleeping of the transceiver. Lum responded to the hail. "This is Onsenmark," came the response. "People are a bit excited down here. I'd never thought that the press could arrive so quickly. The school is surrounded by reporters. I've been trying to keep them out. They're calling a General Assembly meeting at our United Nations building in New York City, in America. Ataru might not know where that is, he always slept through geography." "I did not!" Ataru complained, "It's on the east side of the country, right?!" "I know where it is," Lum said. "The meeting will be tomorrow at 9 am, New York time. They would like you to come and address the body, and be ready for questions." "What have they been saying about my offer to join the Empire?" "Theirs been quite a bit of debate. There are two definite sides, but I think there is a bit of mistrust on both sides. There are quite a few people expecting you to start the invasion again." "Yes," Lum said, "I thought that might be the case. We will be in New York tomorrow." * * * The next day Lum and Ataru, both dressed in the official regalia of the Urusei Imperial house, took a shuttle down to Earth. Jariten, Benten and Mendo went with them. Jariten went because he wished to set up some contacts on Earth, plus he expected Lum could need some political help. Benten was going down to make sure that the 'primitives' didn't try anything. Mendo was with Benten. "Hmm," Ten commented as they descended over New York. "A city this size is liable to have a significant market area. I may have to do some exploring." "They're not on Uruseian script yet, Ten," Lum pointed out. Ten waved her off. "Money? Not really an issue for a good salesman. Besides, I intend more to set up some deals rather than actually buy anything." "You mean you intend to control the market before anyone else has a chance to get here," Benten said dryly. "Precisely," Ten said, rubbing his hands. "Ten, Lum asked. "how much business do you do in the Empire?" Ten just smiled, but said nothing. After a sufficient pause he said, "I wonder what they actually sell down there." Benten, with Lum's directions guided the shuttle down to the large court yard in front of the U.N. building. There were several people waiting for them. There were numerous persons who were obviously dignitaries, and these were ringed by a line of police, and then barricades, reporters, and then the general populace. "What a mob!" Ten commented. "I don't think you'll be doing much skulking around today," Ataru said. "You're going to stand out quite a bit." "My boy, you underestimate me." "I'd rather you'd stayed with me, all the same," Lum said. "Look at them all," Mendo exclaimed. "Every important leader in the world is there. Hosakawa, Yeltsin, Majors, they're all there." "Well," Lum took a breath. "Are you ready, Darling?" Before Ataru answered, Benten broke in. "No one is going anywhere, until I do a weapons check. Routine scans of the city showed it to be a regular war zone." Benten pushed a few buttons. "The uniformed people behind the diplomats are all armed. I also read a couple small fire-arms on the diplomats. Everything else appears to be clear in the courtyard. I still don't like you going out on this primitive planet, amidst all those goings on. There's too many people out there." Just then there was a knock on the shuttle. Onsenmark was just outside the shuttle. Since he was the first person with any authority to speak with the Princess, he was flown over and made the official U.N. liaison. Onsenmark really didn't know how to take his new position. It had a big increase in salary and prestige, but it also meant that he would be serving Moroboshi. The thought of it didn't sit right with him somehow. Still, he didn't begrudge all that Ataru had gained, and was pleased that one of his students had really made something of himself, even if it was Moroboshi. Lum turned to Benten and nodded to her. Benten reluctantly opened the door. Onsenmark stuck his head in. "It is good to see you all again," he said. "Is Sugoi here?" Lum asked. "No," Onsenmark said. "I haven't told anyone about her yet. Things are still a little edgy here. Everyone is here to meet you. Are you ready?" "We're ready," Lum said and stepped out of the shuttle with Ataru close behind. The crowd became silent. Lum raised her voice and spoke in Japanese, "People of Earth," she said. "I am the Princess Lum, of the House of Redet. This is my consort, a Terran, Ataru of the House of Moroboshi." After an uneasy silence, the noise of the world returned. Reporters began to shout out questions. They were silenced by the head of the Security Council moving to a podium and officially welcoming Lum as a representative of the Uruseian Empire to Earth. Lum and Ataru accepted the invitation, and then the speaker indicated that they would continue inside. Lum and Ataru were ushered in. Reporters on both sides continually shouted questions at Lum. She tried to answer a couple. Benten's patience was growing short, but beyond a discouraging glare, she said nothing. Inside, Lum and her party were given a room to prepare while the assembly took their seats. It was several minutes, before someone came and knocked on the door. Lum tried to keep her talk short. Ataru stood at her side, saying nothing, but starring out at the faces in the large meeting room. He felt extremely uncomfortable, but what could he do? Lum had been trained all her life to give these kind of speeches. Looking out among the faces of all those diplomats, Ataru, more than at any other time felt out of his league. The feeling was accented by the knowledge that he was on a much larger scale. Earth was a primitive flyspeck planet. These diplomats carried no weight at all in the Empire. In fact, Ataru knew much more about the Empire than they did, but still . . . "You're not going to give me that 'I'm just a school boy' routine again, are you?" Ataru heard Ten's voice repeating. He paused, and sighed. He looked out at the crowd of assembled diplomats again. "The Empire will have a responsibility to its members. All members of the Empire will have access to the collective technology and wealth. It will be a commonwealth of planets . . ." Ataru heard, tuning in momentarily to Lum's speech. "Urusei will still be the heart of the Empire. It is the center and the most developed planet, but Earth too will have a privileged place." Lum pulled Ataru forward. "A man of Earth will be on the throne of the Uruseian Empire to rule with me. He has already fought with me to preserve the succession, and to secure his right to be my fiance." She turned to him and smiled warmly. "I judge him to be more than worthy." "Earth more than any other planet," she continued, "has a place as an equal member of the Empire because of him. . ." Ataru tuned out of the speech again. He was thinking about how worthy he really was. He didn't actually do anything in the battle. He never felt like he was ever in danger, except maybe when the bombers were approaching, but that moment was so short. Eventually the speech was over and then the questions began. Some were hard political questions, others were more personal. They wanted to know about Ataru's background and then, most importantly, when exactly would he be taking the throne. * * * Finally, all was done and everyone piled back into the shuttle and began to make their way to Tokyo, or more specifically, Tomobiki-cho. Lum hadn't got all that she want yet, but she did get some things. The assembly was going to wait and just deliberate on taking the next step to membership. They also refused to make an immediate decision on granting shore leave to Lum's crew. Lum felt, though, that by their attitude to the initial request, her crew was going to have to stay put. She herself, and those accompanying her were given free passage on the planet. Onsenmark was asked to be their permanent guide/watchdog. Onsenmark had yet to say anything specific about Sugoi. All it did was make Lum curious. Leaving Sugoi on Earth was a decision that she had many second thoughts about. She was quite sure that it would keep Sugoi out of her hair, but she was also taking a gamble that Sugoi would do nothing harmful to her friends on Earth. Lum knew that Sugoi could be dangerous. She had just hoped that on Earth, Sugoi would find that something that Lum found, that something that she had found by following her heart. Eventually ocean turned back into land and they found themselves floating over the familiar streets of Tomobiki. Despite her earlier experience, Benten found the exact same spot that Lum had landed her shuttle the first time, and where Benten and Shinobu had later been captured. Benten felt the need to make a statement. "You worry me sometimes, Benten," Lum said quietly to her friend. "It's important," Benten said. "No one tells me where I can or can't land." The shuttle put down, and the crowds that had arrived to greet them stepped forward. Sugoi stood with Shinobu, Megane, and the others. Sugoi had gotten Earth clothes that were more her size. Cherry walked forward and blessed the shuttle. "That damn monk is out there," Benten growled. "He still hasn't paid for the damage he caused." "You will keep away from him," Lum commanded. "Excuse me?" Benten said incredulously. "He is still a traitor to the Empire or had you forgotten." Mendo put a hand on Benten's shoulder. "Please. Cherry's not so bad, once you learn to ignore him." "I let him go," Lum said. "He's been pardoned." "Alright, but if he gets within arms reach of me I'm not responsible for the hospital bills." "That's my Benten," Ten commented. "Ever the barbarian." Benten grinned. "And damn proud of it." Ataru sighed and opened the door. As he stepped out of the shuttle his parents came up to greet him. His mother embraced him. "My precious boy has returned," she said. "Dearest," his father said. "Our son has returned from war, he is a man now." Ataru's mother shot her husband a disapproving glance, "All men are little boys, 'dearest'. And this is mine." She turned back to her son, "Oh, but you have become quite the young man, and you look so regal in those clothes. I was told that you spoke at the United Nations." "I answered a couple questions," Ataru admitted. "All those high diplomats sat and listened. I knew that you would make good. I knew it." "Yes, mother," Ataru said, biting his tongue. Lum stepped out of the shuttle. "Greetings, Mrs. Moroboshi," she said. Mrs. Moroboshi waved her off. "Oh dear, such formality. Please call me mother." Lum was startled. "I thought you didn't like me." "Nonsense! You brought my boy back, and he does look so nice in his new clothes. And you'll live in a palace, won't you?" "Yes, Mrs. --uh-- mother." The irony of her slip stung Lum square in the face. Ataru moved next to his father. "What happened?" he whispered. "After the ships came back and it was made known that you were being honored, all you're mother's friends have been congratulating her. We've been the toast of the town. Also Cherry's has been speaking highly of you and Lum. You know how much weight that carries with your mother." "Yes." Ataru could not help but think that this was too good to be true. He had never received so many compliments from his mother in one conversation. Actually, he had never received that many complements in a given year. Maybe he was a hero after all. Ataru's mother was still talking with Lum, blocking any other well wishers. Benten, Mendo and Ten slipped past them. Mendo was immediately met by his own parents. Mendo decided that it would be best to wait for a more private time to tell them about Benten. Finally, Sugoi stepped forward and everything became silent. Lum and Sugoi's eyes locked. Lum had no idea how to react. Then Sugoi smiled. "Konnichi wa Lum-sama," she said. "Hello," Lum returned. "We won. You're uncle is under house arrest at your family's mansion. Rei is the Seq general now." Sugoi continued to smile. "I figured," she said in Uruseian. "or you wouldn't be here. I don't hate you, you know. Not anymore. I did when you first left me here, and for many days afterward. You were right, there were many things to learn here. It's the first time that I've actually spent time with people my own age, even if they are aliens." She lowered her eyes. "All the same, I would like to go home now." Lum stepped forward and hugged her young cousin. When they stepped back Sugoi added, "Is there room for another Terran aboard ship?" Lum was confused. "We're planning to take quite a few back for the wedding, why?" "I was hoping to take my Manju-sama back with me," Sugoi announced. "Your what?" Lum asked, recognizing the word but not having any idea what it applied to. "My Manju-sama," Sugoi repeated. "The Terran whom I abducted. He's turned out to be wonderful. I've promised to show him the Empire." Lum looked around the crowd to try and find Megane, about whom she assumed Sugoi was talking. She couldn't find him. "I don't see him anywhere around." "He'll turn up. He always does," Sugoi said confidently. Shinobu stepped forward. "So you've won," she said. It was obvious to Lum that there was a double meaning to her words. Lum felt a little of the old tenseness. Shinobu noticed her uneasiness and smiled. "Don't worry," she said. "I think I'm over him now. I'm happy for you both, and I'm looking forward to the wedding." "And I'm keeping my promise to take you there," Benten said coming forward. They greeted each other with a hug. "Are your people safe now?" Shinobu asked. "Hell yes! The Azu got their butt kicked. They'll be a little more considerate about how they treat my planet now." "Speaking of which," Lum interrupted. "My father and I have decided that your world is one of those that the Azu will lose. As one of my advisors I'm thinking of giving it to you." Benten stepped back. "Shit," she said quietly not know what else to say. "Shit," she said again after a few seconds. "I ain't no world leader." "Then appoint someone, or have elections. It's up to you. I've also allocated sufficient Uruseian resources to reseed your oceans. The scientists think it will take two centuries to rebuild a viable biosphere, but they're pretty sure they can save it." Mendo came up and took Benten's hand. He was prepared to catch her, because it appeared that she might faint. "It looks like everyone is getting their dreams," he said to her. Benten was still having trouble coming to terms with it all. It was only Lum and Ataru who had won at Uinod. Benten had just got a few licks in against her enemy. Now she had won as well. Her life battle was over. Her people would live. She no longer had anyone to hate. She turned to Mendo. "I'm free," she said to him. "Now I am really free." Then she fainted. "Where's Ten?" Shinobu asked after they revived Benten. Lum looked around. "He was with us." * * * Lum and her party spent two weeks in Tomobiki. Permission for shore leave never came. Lum was disappointed, but she could understand the reasons. Lum learned a lot about Sugoi while she was on Earth. Sugoi was, like Lum a victim of what she had been taught, but she had her own head as well. For her, family politics had never been more than a game. She enjoyed a mystery, and she enjoyed ferreting out secrets, nothing more. She had no political motivations of her own. She had been raised on the blind acceptance of Uruseian superiority, but her time on Earth had changed that. Given enough time to learn some of the secrets about terrans, she found that the problems and joys of humans were little different than her own people. Lum actually found herself envying Sugoi. Sugoi had spent time in the real Tomobiki. She had made friends, real friends, especially with Shinobu. Lum still felt distant. She didn't know how to act. She wanted to act with familiarity, but it didn't seem appropriate. Ataru thoroughly enjoyed his new found fame; maybe a little too much, Lum felt. Seeing him soak up the adulation of the locals, she was reminded of the dream Ataru. She didn't mind, though. She was happy that everything had turned out well. She found herself lost in thoughts of the past few days as the fleet pulled away from Earth. Ataru stood with her in the grand observation room. Lum wore her uniform, but Ataru was dressed in his Earth clothes. He said that he still felt uncomfortable in the Urusei garb that he was given to wear. It was too flashy for him. Lum sighed. "The royal family traditionally lives in the palace on Urusei, but I think I would rather live on Earth." Ataru turned his head to Lum, and studied her face. It was obvious that she was just thinking out loud. Her attention was still focused on the dwindling blue orb. "How are you feeling now?" Ataru asked. Lum didn't turn, but she smiled. "Wonderful, Darling. All the weight is gone. I never realized how much I was carrying. How about you?" Ataru sighed and put his hands in his pockets. "Better, but still a little scared." "Scared of what?" Lum said turning. "Scared that I won't make a good Emperor, that after all this I won't make a good husband. Scared that I might pass out during the Uruseian wedding ceremony." Lum chuckled a little. "I'm sorry. It's just the way that it's always been done. You'll certainly won't forget it." Ataru studied the palm of his hand. "No, I suppose not." There was a long pause and then Ataru spoke again. "Do you remember that wedding ring you had given me in the dreams?" "The one with tiger pearl, yes. As I remember you were doing everything you could to get it off." Ataru pulled a small box out of his pocket. "Here," he said. "I bought this on Earth." Lum took the box and opened it. "I'm afraid that the pearl is just plastic. I couldn't find a real one. The ring is gold, though." "I don't care," Lum said putting the ring on. "Nobody has to know. I've never seen a tiger pearl either, but this is beautiful. Just a second." Lum went to the back of the room, to a small computer terminal. She placed the ring on a glowing platform, and in a instant there were two of them. She put on the original and then inspected the copy. "Perfect," she said. She returned to Ataru. "If you'll remember, we're both supposed to have one." Ataru accepted the ring and then put it on. They turned back to the large window, taking each other's hand. * * * It had taken some time, but the fleet had finally arrived at Urusei. Upon leaving subspace into the star system, a hail of fighters came up to greet them. Ten stood on the bridge with confidence. "Now this is how I deserve to be escorted to Urusei." Benten scowled. "They're not for you." "Are you sure?" Ten winked. "I'm quite famous around the galaxy, you know." "Infamous, maybe." "Ahh, my dear lady," Ten began, "that privilege is reserved for you." Sugoi and Shinobu arrived on the bridge with Megane in tow. "Ahh!" exclaimed Ten gliding toward Shinobu. "The beauty that graced my life such a short time ago has returned. I was so that sorry I missed you on Earth." He took her hand and kissed it. "Now my life may begin again." Shinobu blushed. "No kiss for me, old friend?" Sugoi asked. "For you," Ten said taking her hand, "a hundred kisses. How good to have you back among us. No hard feelings?" "No, actually I've been meaning to talk to you. When you were on Earth, I noticed that you made a few deals. . ." Ten stepped back, surprised. "A few deals madam, my conduct was without blemish." "Very true," Sugoi agreed. "But I learned a few things about the ins and outs of Earth politics while I was down there, and perhaps you may need someone to oversee operations." Ten smiled. "You frighten me, my dear. I take it that you are planning to take up residence on Earth." "As a start," Sugoi said. "What are you planning to do with Earth?" Shinobu asked, concern was apparent in her voice. At this point Megane stepped forward, and put his hand on Sugoi's shoulder. "Not to worry, Shinobu dear. Our plans are entirely in the best interests of Earth. In fact, if everything works out we intend Earth to be the most profitable planet in the galaxy. Insuring Earth a premier. . . "Will you keep your voice down," Ten urged. "Business is meant to be done quietly." Turning to Sugoi, "Haven't you trained this boy, yet?" "Sorry," Sugoi said shyly. "I just think he is so cute when he pontificates." "Cute?" Megane repeated, not quite appreciating the comment. "You all disgust me," Benten interrupted. "Is that all you Uruseians can think about is profiting from others?" "If you will note, dear lady," Ten said, "we are evenly divided between Uruseian and Terran." Shinobu quietly cleared her throat and stepped closer to Benten. "Please don't include me in your 'business' plans. Hello, Benten." "But Shinobu dear," Ten said taking her hand again. "You must be included. I don't think I could bear any of it without your loveliness to greet me each day." Benten roughly separated their hands. "Will you stop that!" She said sternly to Ten. "You are making me fucking ill!" "Are you serious about all this you're saying to me?" Shinobu asked. "Careful," Benten said. "Very serious my dear," Ten said. "He can't be trusted," Benten said in a sing song voice. "I mean I really don't know you that well." "Ask him how many girls he knows?" Ten shot Benten a look and then turn back to Shinobu. "Then it is but infatuation, but a grand one which consumes me utterly." "Is the air getting hot in here, or is it me?" Benten said. "My dear," Ten said testily to Benten, "you are a cur." Ten took Shinobu's hand and began to lead her out. "Come, I understand that the observation deck has a higher class of people." Sugoi took Shinobu aside before she left with Ten. "Benten's right, you know," she whispered. "I know," Shinobu whispered back, "but it sounds like fun." "Then go for it, girl!" Benten stepped over to Sugoi after they Shinobu and Ten had left. "I can't believe that I am letting her go with him." "Letting her?" Sugoi asked quizzically. "What do you have against him, anyway?" "I don't have anything against him, except that he just plays games with women. Shinobu's a good kid, I don't want to see her hurt." "Name me one woman that Ten has hurt." Benten stepped back. "What do you mean?" "Name one woman who regrets the time she spent with Ten." Benten tried hard, but she had to admit that she couldn't think of any. "You see. Ten isn't dishonest with the women he goes out with. He promises a good time, respect and some meaningless flattery. I think Shinobu's lucky. If it wasn't for my Manju-sama here I'd be trying to steal him away from her. I still might." Megane coughed nervously. Sugoi rushed to take his arm. "You are so cute! I know some great places on this ship where can be alone." "Aren't we coming in to Urusei now?" Megane asked. "Sure silly, but it'll take the whole day to actually reach the planet. We'll have plenty of time." Megane swallowed, and albeit lead, turned to leave with Sugoi. As they were going out the door, Sugoi turned briefly back to Benten. "Besides, I think that he is serious this time." Benten stood alone in the back of the bridge. "Hmph. A whole fucking day, huh?" Benten grinned. "I think that it is time that my two great loves got acquainted." * * * Mendo sat nervously in the backseat of Benten's fighter. "Where are we going?" he asked. Mendo had been in a calm conversation with Lum and Ataru in Ten's playroom when Benten had busted in and dragged him out. "Going? Fuck, the war's over. Who said we need a reason? You want adventure, don't you?" "I guess." "Well meet Miss Adventure," Benten said devilishly and pulled the canopy down. Her hands played over the controls and soon the fighter was in the air, floating, actually quite serenely above the fighter bay. "Are you ready?" She asked. "Well," Mendo said feeling a little more confidence. "Yes." Benten grinned. "Good. They hate it when I do this." Benten gunned the thrusters, filling the hangar with harmless, but extremely annoying backwash. It's a strange thing that Benten had found out in a fit of rage, that it takes nearly one thousandth for her fighter's engines to come for full power from a dead stop. By that time, her fighter is well out of the bay and safely away from the ship. The bay itself actually only experiences a hundredth of her total thrust. It tends to brown a few paint jobs and blows everything around, but there is no real damage done. When Benten had originally discovered this fact of physics, however, she didn't really care. Mendo, for his part, was being pushed so far back in his seat that he could feel the metal bolts in the backing. His concern for whether he was about implode under the pressure was diverted briefly by the near miss of one of the escort fighters. Benten was laughing devilishly the whole time. About the time that Mendo was sure that his eyes were going to pop out of their sockets, the acceleration slowed and he gasped for air. Benten shut down the engine, and turned back to Mendo. She removed her helmet and shook loose her hair. She smiled at him. "I'm sorry," she said, "but that's how life is going to be with me sometimes. Are you sure you can take it?" Mendo took his own helmet off. "It was exciting." Benten sat back down in her seat. "I'm glad. I love it out here. Just me and my "bike" out among the stars. Nobody for a thousand miles." "But I'm here now," Mendo added. "Yeah, that's it entirely. This is my most sacred place out here in open space. I've never taken anyone here with me before." "My place is something like this. I've never had a fighter to take me there, so I just used my imagination." Benten put her hand to the glass. "This is such a small space. Just on other side of this crystal is a frozen vacuum that would instantly kill us, if we weren't protected in here." "You're not thinking about going outside, were you?" "No," Benten shook her head. "Not today. There have been days though. Other days I just wanted to keep the thrusters on and run, run to a planet that no one has ever been before, where no one would know who I am." "I didn't think that this ship could travel to other stars." "It can't," Benten admitted, "I doubt that I could make it out of this star system before the batteries gave out, but I dream too, sometimes, especially when I'm out here. Lum gave my planet to me. Shutaro, as much as I'm happy that it is out of Azu domination, I don't want it." "I thought you loved your planet and your people more than anything." "I do, but this is my home now. The universe is huge and I want to see it all. I don't think I'd know how to stay in one place anymore." Mendo put a hand on Benten's shoulder. "I think Lum knows you pretty well. She knows you don't want to rule a planet. Do like she said, appoint someone you trust and go." "If I do, will you go with me?" "To spend my life exploring the universe, alone with the most beautiful and exciting woman in it? I think I could handle that." Benten turned again in her seat. "Shutaro, would you make love to me here and now?" "In the fighter?" Mendo asked confused, and a little shocked. "It's a bit cramped, isn't it?" Benten grabbed the back of her seat and jerked it hard. With a metallic click, it came loose. "Yours comes loose too. Up, back and forward." Mendo did as he was instructed, and sure enough it came apart. "Now what do we do with the backs?" "No problem, there's a door in the back, behind your seat. You see, in an emergency a pilot may be lost for days. You can't sit in your chair all that time." She shoved her seat back through the door. "You have to be able to move around, to stretch a little." Benten went over and pushed a button. The control bench and the stick moved forward and disappeared into the wall. The backless seats also lowered and disappeared into the floor, leaving Benten and Mendo floating freely in the open space that had been the fighter's cockpit. "I've heard it's also pretty good for undisturbed zero-G sex." "I think I'm beginning to understand," Mendo said. Benten started to unzip her flight suit. "Not yet, but you will." * * * Toward the end of the day the fleet was finally close enough to Urusei to see the planet. Lum had brought Ataru back to the Observation deck to see it. It wasn't the planet that caught Ataru's eye though. It was the criss-cross shimmering metal lattice that surrounded it. The planet with suspended within this structure, protected within a beautiful cage. The lattice wasn't made of straight lines, it was curved and scrolled. As they neared and Ataru studied it more, he noticed thousands of little lights flitting back and forth all over the structure. He assumed they were small ships. "What is it?" Ataru asked. "It's the Tolia, named in honor of my great-grandmother. It's where most of the people of Urusei live. It's also a defense perimeter. It's a giant energy cannon. If anyone where to try and attack Urusei the Tolia would focus the sun's energy toward the attacking fleet. I can't imagine much that could withstand that power." "You said most of the people live on it. Doesn't anyone live on the planet?" "Not too many. My great-grandfather built it because Urusei was becoming too overcrowded. Even with our technology, there is only so much a planet can take. Although we already had quite a few colonies, few people really wanted to leave Urusei, so the Emperor built Tolia, and ordered everyone to move there. After that all the cities were torn down, except for the capital. It was rebuilt to be a showpiece for the Empire. Now the planet is one big park. We recreated all the species that we had destroyed through the years and reseeded their populations. It's very beautiful." "Meanwhile you were destroying all the other worlds of the galaxy, like Benten's." Lum lowered her head. "Yes." She looked up. "But you and I are going to change all that." "If we could make all the world in the galaxy as beautiful as Urusei. I'd say that would be a pretty good thing." * * * Along the equatorial rim of Tolia were a string of docking rings, which stretched all the way around the globe. Ataru couldn't help but wonder if they were ever full. Lum's carrier pulled up along side one of these rings. The Terrans disembarking included: Ataru, Shinobu, Mendo, Megane, the parents and some relatives of them, all the students and faculty of Tomobiki high, two representatives of the U.N. and two reporters. All of these stood mouths hanging open at the close-up sight of Tolia, as the transport elevators lowered them into the structure. For as far as the eye could see; east, west, north and south were intricate patterns of metal and light. They couldn't see the planet, because for the most part, the equatorial rim was solid. This was a bit of a design flaw. It was solid for support to the rest of the structure and for the docking rings, but it also cast a near permanent shadow along the equator of the planet. The area has become a bit of a dead zone, and due to the doldrum effect keeping the air from circulating, quite cold. Many solutions were offered for this problem, but most were either prohibitively expensive, even as compared to Tolia itself, or would seriously compromise the stability of Tolia. The Terrans weren't concerned with this. All they could see was an engineering feat beyond their comprehension. Their reaction once inside was similar. Imagine Grand Central Station on an interstellar scale and you would begin to get the idea. They entered a vast open space. It was large enough for freight vehicles to fly overhead, which they did frequently. Lum explained that it wasn't as busy as it normally would have been because of the security surrounding their arrival. Ataru couldn't imagine anything being more busy. There were thousands of people, of all kinds, but mostly Uruseian milling about their own business. Ataru had to admit that many of them appeared to be crew. After checking in at planetary registration and immigration the party was lead to awaiting transports. "We could spend our entire lives just exploring Tolia," Mendo told Benten. "It's a manufactured thing," Benten retorted. "After a while it just get repetitious." "That's not quite true," Lum corrected. "Tolia was meant to be a thing of beauty, not just functional. Artists and architects from all over the Empire were invited to help design it. There are nearly fifteen hundred distinct areas with their own personalities. They range from pure functionality to almost unusability, but everything in its own way is different and amazing. Almost every kind of Uruseian architecture is represented somewhere in Tolia." "How many years did it take to build it?" Shinobu asked. "It's not quite done," Ten said. "There are still quite a few sections yet to be built." "And it was designed to be expanded out as the population grows," Lum added. "It may never be finished." The transports eventually arrived at a large hotel complex. The interior reminded Ataru of Ten's playroom. They were met by the hotel manager who greeted them warmly, and assigned them rooms. Before they went up, Lum explained. "The wedding will be in a week. Until then you are free to explore Tolia. There are guides available at the desk. I suggest you use them. It is very easy to get lost. For those who haven't used the language teacher yet, I suggest you do before you go out. Dinner will be at point 80, in the hotel dinning hall. We have a reserved room. It will be informal. "Oh yes, everything in the hotel is on the Uruseian imperial house. You'll also find three hundred credits in your rooms. Try not to put the Moroboshi administration in debt before it starts." After she had finished, everyone left to go up to their rooms, except Ataru. "I noticed that you didn't get a room," he said. "This is my home. I have a room on board ship or in the palace. I'm going to the palace now, would you like to come a see your new home?" "I'd like that very much." * * * Ataru didn't know what to expect as they took the shuttle down from Tolia to the surface. He was caught between two wonders. Tolia loomed large as it receded behind them, and then there was the beauty of planetfall. Urusei was lush and green, despite the long dark line that rapped around the equator making the planet look a lot like a miniature globe. "Are you ever worried that something could happen and Tolia would come crashing into the planet?" Ataru asked. "There was a concern for that when it was built," Lum explained. "Ideally it stays there as a result of opposing gravities and spin, but if something were to happen like a collision or sabotage there are thousands of lifters on its surface. And if they fail then there are also more conventional thrusters each with a separate control system." "It's an amazing structure." "Yes, but you're right, it is potentially dangerous. If any of it ever scraped the atmosphere I don't think there would be any way to stop the chain reaction. Urusei would be destroyed." Soon the shuttle broke through the atmosphere and Tolia began to fade into the blue of the daytime sky. "It must be incredible at night," Ataru said. "I won't spoil it by trying to describe it to you. However, I think I still prefer to see the stars without anything blocking my view. I enjoy the nights on earth." Lum pushed a couple buttons and turned from the controls. "There, we're under palace computer guidance now." The shuttle swooped down toward the ground. Ataru could feel the vehicle steadily slowing as they approached the surface. Lush vegetation covered the ground as far as the eye could see. It was broken only by the occasional lake, or river. "There are no people on the planet?" "Just in the capital city, and a few small villages inhabited by scientists and the planet's caretakers, but other than that it's all wilderness, although still a bit planned. It's only been a hundred and fifty years." "It was your great-grandfather who did this a hundred and fifty years ago?" "Yes," Lum answered, "roughly. Why?" "Well my great-grandfather wasn't even born a hundred years before I was. I was wondering how long you are going to outlive me." Lum thought. "Uruseian years are a little longer than Earth years. "I think it's about 380 or 390 Earth days. For those who stay on Urusei, don't die in war or catch any strange alien diseases, average life span is a little more than one hundred Earth years." "We're only expected to live to eighty." "Then Darling, we have more than sixty years to share with each other. We're too young to be worrying about death and old age. Besides, you'll be living like an Uruseian now, you'll probably live longer." "Probably," Ataru smiled. "So if Uruseian years are longer, then are you my age in Uruseian or Earth years." "Earth years, I'm a year younger in Uruseian." "Then I'm actually older than you," Ataru joked. "That's good, because I like older men," Lum said and kissed on the cheek. At that point the palace came into view. "I thought you said it was small," Ataru said stunned by the size of the edifice. "It is," Lum answered. "Among the major families it is the smallest family palace in the Empire." "The Japanese Emperor's palace is a hut compared to that!" "It's all a matter of scale. But think, that's your new home." "The heating bill must be incredible!" "Not only that, imagine how long it takes the cleaning lady to go through it all." Ataru looked to Lum. "You do have a staff, don't you?" "Yes, there are two hundred robots and servants, who handle upkeep and tourism." "Tourism?" "It's the Imperial palace. It may be small, but most of the history of the Uruseian Empire is kept there. The trouble with being royalty is that you have to live in the museum. Don't worry there are only two tours a day and there are areas that they're not allowed into." The shuttle slowed to a stop in the center of the vast palace complex. As they began to lower to the ground Ataru looked out to what, as Lum said, would be his new home. There were several vast gardens, all meticulously manicured. The buildings were all built in a similar style, though some were obviously newer by the color of the stone blocks, and noticeable lack of green foliage growing up the walls. There were numerous small buildings which congregated like children around the large Central Palace. The Central Palace of which they were landing into one of its four half acre courtyards, was five stories tall. The windows which lined the walls that now surrounded them grew smaller as the neared the roof. The ground floor windows were huge, and apparently stained glass. Lum opened the door and they stepped out. The air was cool but comfortable. As Ataru took his first breath of Uruseian air, he realized that this was the first alien planet that he had set foot on. It was the first alien air than any human had ever breathed. He was the first. There was certainly an alien flavor to it, but it wasn't unpleasant. It smelled sweet, but a little musty. It was much better than the stale recycled air of the space fleet. The shuttle had landed on a circular stone patio. Winding stone paths snaked out from it through the gardens ending up at doors leading into the palace. Ran came out to greet them. She bowed low. "Mistress, Master, we are glad to welcome you home." "Ran!" Lum exclaimed. "You don't have to be my servant anymore. You are going to be the heiress to the Seq house." Ran stood. "I know Mistress, but you have not found a suitable replacement yet. I couldn't let go of my duties and leave you with no one to look after you." Lum sighed. "I'm sorry, Ran. It is I who have let my duties slip. I should have found a new personal servant." Ran smiled. "It's okay, Mistress. I enjoy my work, and I take some satisfaction in that you have not been eager to replace me." "This is very true," Lum said. "I think that it will be some time before I find someone else who would measure up to the standards that you have set." Ran blushed. "Mistress, I do not deserve such high praise." She turned to Ataru. "Master Ataru, you too should also find a personal servant. Perhaps as my last duty to both of you I should find someone who would fulfill my requirements?" "That would be very good, Ran. I would appreciate it. I assume our rooms are already prepared?" "Of course, Mistress. Mistress Oyuki is quite proficient in those matters. I almost had nothing to do. There are two rooms available in the upper south wing of Hollic hall. There is also a room for Master Ataru's parents. Will they be staying here as well?" "I assume so, I hadn't considered." "My mother would love it," Ataru said. "We are ready for them, whenever they arrive. There is a small meal waiting for you in the dining room near your rooms, can we expect you soon?" "In a tenth. I think that Ataru and I would like to look over the grounds a bit first." "Actually," Ataru spoke up. "Maybe," Lum began correcting herself, "we will look around as we make our way up there." "That would be acceptable," Ataru said. Ran bowed, "As you wish Mistress, Master. If I may take my leave then?" "Ran, you are getting to be as bad as Ten." Ran smiled, "You insult your servant, Mistress." She stood and with a wink left them. "How far do we have to go, then," Ataru asked. "Let's just say I landed in the wrong courtyard." Ataru crooked his arm. "Well then, let's begin." Lum smiled and took his arm. Lum started her tour when the real tour group entered the courtyard. The tour guide immediately noticed the Princess and bowed. The rest of the group followed suit. "You may rise," Lum called out. "Have a good tour!" Lum and Ataru continued on their way. A small boy rushed from the group toward the couple carrying a small card. The tour guide was close behind him, but couldn't catch him before he reached the Princess. Lum smiled and gave the guide the 'Okay'. "Princess! Princess! Could you sign this picture!" "Sign?" Ataru asked. "I'm not going to give him my print. There's no limit to what an unscrupulous person could do with that." Lum took the pen and the picture. It was one of those holograms that they give out at the door at the start of the tour. She finished signing her name and then said, "So what's your name?" There was no answer. It appeared that all life had left the boy. He stood as still as stone. "What's wrong wi . . . ," Ataru began to say but couldn't finish. It's funny how time slows when one is in danger. As Lum studied the boy, she could see his flesh become pale and then glow. His head burst in a fireball and she could see mechanical parts fly out. "At least they didn't use a real boy," Lum thought, and then there was pain, burning and everything went black. (To be continued in book two) You can scream now, Joe. - Lew